PDA

View Full Version : My review of Silverstars

bart
02-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Alrighty, so after going through about 5 boxes of Eurolites during the past 1.5 years, I decided it was time to change. The Eurolites I was using were rice bulbs, had a very dark blue tint to them, but the light produced was a nice pure white, which looked very good, not even ricey at all. Too bad they don't last long. So I decided to pay double, get something with a little more yellow to it, and a 1 year warranty! I picked these up from Canadian Tire for ~$60.

Test Car: 2002 VW Golf.
Headlamps: Hella E-Codes
Bulbs: Sylvania Silverstars (H7)

(I apologise in advance for the pics being somewhat blurry, this camera I borrowed has a tiny lens, so no matter how still I hold it, it still blurs!)

Pic1: Camera on roof of car, showing spread.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-016.jpg

Pic2: In Parking Lot.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-017.jpg

Pic3: Again.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-019.jpg

Pic4: And another.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-020.jpg

Pic5: Parked behind car with regular bulbs.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-023.jpg

Pic6: Zoomed.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-024.jpg

Pic7: And last one.
http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/silverstars/silverstars-026.jpg

Conclusion

Yes I am happy with them, mainly because of the 1 year warranty. I'm tired of having to replace bulbs so often! The camera in the pics somewhat exaggerated the whiteness of them, but for sure they are whiter than more cars on the road, but NOT as white as rice bulbs. Imagine those being even whiter. They do however put out alot of light onto the road at the same time! SO these I recommend. This is the perfect combo, nice light / color.

-bart

EK 2.0
02-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Hmmm I was thinking about upgrading to them...and now I will thanks for sharing the info man...

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Theyre awesome bulbs, thanks for the pics I havent been able to find online pics of the light beams anywhere. I like the fact that they make sealed beam applications as well. Saves having to buy the h4 conversion then the bulbs. For 60 bucks I an have silverstars in my ae86, awesome deal

JordanLotoski
02-14-2004, 12:53 AM
hey those are nice...what they run per bulb..i have HID's in my car, but the fog lights are not..and they dont match......where can i get them?

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
hey those are nice...what they run per bulb..i have HID's in my car, but the fog lights are not..and they dont match......where can i get them?
Canadian tire has a wide selection they range from 25-32 a bulb depending on application

djfob
02-14-2004, 01:09 AM
hmm I had my doubts but those actually don't look too shabby

88CRX
02-14-2004, 01:19 AM
there nice.... but the cops dont think so :thumbsdow

dj_rice
02-14-2004, 03:05 AM
THanx for supplyin the pics dude...

Right now I have those Slyvannia Cool Blue headlights and they emit a white light....but I was waitin for a review of the Silverstars and tahts exactly what I am looking for...

A bright light that is pure white...so now Imma go and pick me up a set...but damn it...

How come the bulbs for civics are cheaper than the headlights for a 240sx cuz I think mine cost 32.99..where as the Civic bulb replacement is like only 21.99 or something...damn H6054..I need to get a h4 conversion!!

I wish I had HIDs tho..love the way those beamers and benz look

gwkwan
02-14-2004, 03:37 AM
nice lights:thumbsup:
maybe i will pick sum up when they r on sale

buh_buh
02-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
there nice.... but the cops dont think so :thumbsdow Aren't these street legal?

jdmsource
02-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Aren't these street legal?

:werd: thats wat the commercial says!

benyl
02-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey Bart. The reason your pics are blury are not because of the size of the lens, but because it is hard to keep the camera still.

At that time of night, your shutter is probably open 0.5-1 second. Very hard to hold the camera absolutely still for shots like that. If you use a tripod or something to keep the camera from moving, the shots would probably be much less blury.

Those lights look nice and bright. I doubt you will attract the CPS any more than I do right now with my HID.

88CRX
02-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Aren't these street legal?

:dunno: according to the cps they emit a white/blue light = illegal

i was harassed about them

bart
02-14-2004, 12:31 PM
ya they're legal i think. basically lights with a blue tint are illegal. the glass lens on these things isn't 100% clear, but they do have a baby baby baby blue tint to them. nothing noticeable.

szw
02-14-2004, 01:05 PM
How does the warranty work??

Does it require receipt or is it just a card you mail in or something? Reason is, I was thinking of buying a set off ebay.

bart
02-14-2004, 01:27 PM
umm, well for canadian tire, they said to keep my receipt. i dont want to buy off the net, this way i just bring in receipt, and they will just give me a new set. no waiting i dont think...

nine8civicSi
02-14-2004, 01:31 PM
just bad luck, my euro lites lasted 1.5 yrs in my old car! :)....

now im running Catz, they have a nice yellow color to them

Ferio_vti
02-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Did you take those pics last night??

I'll have to take some pics of my Piaa's for comparison.

86max
02-15-2004, 11:31 PM
got silverstars for 50$ at crappy tire a couple of months ago, i noticed a considerable diference between them and my previous "cool blue" bulbs, the silverstars are a lot better for driving, but they emit a small pinkinsh glow, which i don't mind, but it may be illegal.

RiceCake
02-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Looks like I might switch from cool blues to these :thumbsup: :)

Seanith
02-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Nice writeup. Do they make them for H3 applications? I need new fog light bulbs.

CRXguy
02-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Anyone see H1's anywhere in Calgary?

illeagle
02-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Or H3's? I bet the H1's and H3's go for $50.00 each..

t3rry
02-16-2004, 09:12 PM
i also have the cool blues, they do have a blue tint to the actual bulb but in th epackaging there is actually a sheet that you get that has the law right on it saying they are legal??, maybe its an american law though

-=MJ=-
02-16-2004, 10:43 PM
any crappy store can order the h1's and we have the h3 just ask for 9003's:tongue:

They are alot better thans the cool blues

idriveabox
02-16-2004, 11:48 PM
is the one year warranty a guarantee that they last that long?
just bought a set for sealed beam, damn better find the receipt now....

mine are almost greenish though, but WAY better :thumbsup:

GT2NV
02-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Theyre awesome bulbs, thanks for the pics I havent been able to find online pics of the light beams anywhere. I like the fact that they make sealed beam applications as well. Saves having to buy the h4 conversion then the bulbs. For 60 bucks I an have silverstars in my ae86, awesome deal
i did my conversion, i hated those nasty sealed beams:thumbsdow

ZorroAMG
02-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
THanx for supplyin the pics dude...

Right now I have those Slyvannia Cool Blue headlights and they emit a white light....but I was waitin for a review of the Silverstars and tahts exactly what I am looking for...

A bright light that is pure white...so now Imma go and pick me up a set...but damn it...

How come the bulbs for civics are cheaper than the headlights for a 240sx cuz I think mine cost 32.99..where as the Civic bulb replacement is like only 21.99 or something...damn H6054..I need to get a h4 conversion!!

I wish I had HIDs tho..love the way those beamers and benz look

I put one of the cool blues in my car on the weekend cause one of my Piaa's burnt out, and they SUCK compared to the piaas. Are the Silverstars going to be better?

CRXguy
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by -=MJ=-
any crappy store can order the h1's

Not for me they didn't! I went to 2 different locations.

turbo_dsm
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
if u look on ebay u can get high and low beams for about $20 depending on your car. no warranty but some are bright white with tint of blue and theyve lasted me a few months so far

-=MJ=-
02-17-2004, 05:59 PM
i work in a edmonton crappy tire adn i can order then all u do is go to the depot screan and put in H1ST and there in the calgary warehouse or u can get them from keystone so its like a 7 day order
peace

dtech
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
LoL nice pics! ahahah freaken looks HIDish w/ the fog revealing the light beams, eh. When you compare the silverstars to the your previous rice bulbs, how much of a diff. in whiteness? I currently have Piaa's xtreme white plus 9007 bulbs and its still producing noticable yellowness.....i mean, its still brighter and whiter but still not satisfied with the color. My next option is the silverstars.....hope they are white enough to match my fogs....

86max
02-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by dtech
LoL nice pics! ahahah freaken looks HIDish w/ the fog revealing the light beams, eh. When you compare the silverstars to the your previous rice bulbs, how much of a diff. in whiteness? I currently have Piaa's xtreme white plus 9007 bulbs and its still producing noticable yellowness.....i mean, its still brighter and whiter but still not satisfied with the color. My next option is the silverstars.....hope they are white enough to match my fogs....

i've heard the piaa xtreme white plus bulbs are actually better than the silverstars, u may want to stick with em

never had them tho so :dunno:

dtech
02-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Indeed Piaa's are better, but for the other size bulbs....such as there H4 series or even 9006 bulbs (cosmetic wise for sure).

dieselpower91
04-22-2004, 02:15 AM
From what I know, (which may not be much) as long as the bulbs are DOT approved they are street legal. Anyone able to confirm this!?:eek:

MaRkSzE
04-22-2004, 02:59 AM
yea i have the sylvania silverstars bulbs too their H4's from goin to these from eurolite ones ive noticed their brighter and the blue tint is gone, so their just really really white ..... They also say that these bulbs burn harder than any other bulb besides the H.I.D's

MaRkSzE
04-22-2004, 03:02 AM
dont quote me tho i could be wrong .. thats just what i heard...

buh_buh
04-22-2004, 03:23 AM
the commercial says street legal, but I don't know how you can prove this if a cop hassles you for it.

BTW this is an old thread, but I'm curious in regards to the street legalness of these bulbs.

roopi
04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
the commercial says street legal, but I don't know how you can prove this if a cop hassles you for it.

BTW this is an old thread, but I'm curious in regards to the street legalness of these bulbs.

The package says street legal dot approved... So just put the package in your glove box and when you get pulled over show the cop the package. If he has a problem with it tell him to go after Sylvania not you. :D

mischief
04-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by szw
How does the warranty work??

Does it require receipt or is it just a card you mail in or something? Reason is, I was thinking of buying a set off ebay.

I bought a pair at the beginning of dec. and already had to warranty them. Bought them at Partsource. Just took them back with the receipt and they were exchanged; no questions asked.

abc1
04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
any body get high beamed with these things? When ever I go on the highway people think I'm on high beams. I get flashed about 6 times in a 2o minutes, and more if I have my fog lights on. Now, it's not as much though.

Strider
04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
are these the ones that are in this week's superstore flyer for $19.99?? if so, i might just have to pick some up

EK 2.0
04-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Strider
are these the ones that are in this week's superstore flyer for $19.99?? if so, i might just have to pick some up

Yeah I saw that too 20 bucks...I hope that have the application for my DSM...

CRXguy
04-22-2004, 08:48 PM
If someone can find me H1 Silverstar bulbs, I'll buy 'em a slurpee. I'm not having any luck. :(

91rss
04-22-2004, 09:26 PM
I had the first set in Canada I think.I had a friend in the US that worked in a house lighting wholesalers call the plant and got a demo set from the rep. after he saw them in 4WD magazine Sept last.and sent them up.I didn't know they had the H1's but will get a set in the am..They were advertised as a few degrees less than HID..

Seanith
04-22-2004, 11:13 PM
a few degrees less than HID? how about a few hundred? lol :nut:

Scat
04-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by abc1
any body get high beamed with these things? When ever I go on the highway people think I'm on high beams. I get flashed about 6 times in a 2o minutes, and more if I have my fog lights on. Now, it's not as much though.

Maybe you don't have proper headlight alignment. They are probably just pointing too high so its like having your high beams on to oncoming drivers.

Strider
04-23-2004, 11:05 PM
I picked some up today from Superstore for $19.99 each:thumbsup:
First impression is that they're much brighter than my stock lights... there does seem to be a slight bluish tinge to them, but nothing that I would consider ricey...

Silverstars = :clap:

Seanith
04-23-2004, 11:33 PM
lol they sell them at stupidstore? wtf? lol

1-Bar
04-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
If someone can find me H1 Silverstar bulbs, I'll buy 'em a slurpee. I'm not having any luck. :(

I've got a set of 2 in my room....too bad I have to use them since my others just burnt out. Or I could just get HIDs and sell them to you....How's $400 sound??

CRXguy
04-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

I've got a set of 2 in my room....too bad I have to use them since my others just burnt out. Or I could just get HIDs and sell them to you....How's $400 sound??

:rofl:

typo?

1-Bar
04-25-2004, 12:17 PM
nope....$400 FIRM, lol...you can fund my HID kit. I'll PM you the email of the guy I got mine from, I paid $35 a pair. He's in Toronto...

rice_eater
04-25-2004, 08:25 PM
i'm a noob when it comes to bulbs. all i know is that mine SUCK. what's this H1, H3 stuff some of you were talking about? basicly,would these work on my peeon?

Seanith
04-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Those are the type of bulb. H3s are typically (if not always) used in foglights.

Strider
04-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
i'm a noob when it comes to bulbs. all i know is that mine SUCK. what's this H1, H3 stuff some of you were talking about? basicly,would these work on my peeon?

H!, H3, 9005, 9006, etc are the type/fitment for your car...
go on sylvania's website and there's a guide that will tell you which bulb you need for your neon

Davan
04-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I had put silverstars in both my headlights and fogs. Here's my comparo:

http://svt.davanthegeek.com/lightscomparo.jpg

abc1
04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't it's that since I didn't had any problems with my previous lights. And they were bright too since I gave them to my brother and he gets highbeams on the highway. Doesn't make much sense...

Aleks
04-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Davan

That's a great comparo!! thanks! I picked some up today. You guys all say they have a 1 year warranty. Where does it say that, it didn't say it on the package or the receipt?

Seanith
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Davan

Do your fogs have DRLs(daytime running lights) as well?

Davan
04-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

Do your fogs have DRLs(daytime running lights) as well?

The fogs? No... the fog lights only come on with a completely separate switch.

Seanith
04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
just i noticed theres a fog day pic and fog night pic. the night pic looks a bit brighter, and it seems like both the pics are in the day time. just thought i'd ask :)

Davan
04-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I had turned the lowbeams and fogs on for all three pics. The first two were taken about half hour apart (the time it took to swap bulbs) during the day, then I waited until the sun was almost completely set to take the third pic.

Scat
04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I picked some up today from Superstore for $19.99 each:thumbsup:
First impression is that they're much brighter than my stock lights... there does seem to be a slight bluish tinge to them, but nothing that I would consider ricey...

Silverstars = :clap:

40 bucks?
damn, I paid like $75 at part source when they first came out late 2003.
That wasn't just the bulb tho, included the entire housing:

eclipseqt
11-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Can these Silverstars compare with HIDs? Do they have the hint of blue when seen from far?

From the pics I can only see really bright white.