PDA

View Full Version : New SUV??

stealth
12-22-2012, 10:26 PM
So I am looking at a new SUV for my family...

I currently have a 03 Escalade and it is time to get something newer.

Now my choices are an Audi Q7 TDI or a Cadillac Escalade. I would be looking at around the 2010/2011 models for both.

I know they are two different vehicles and totally different type of engines.

What would you guys recommend?

eblend
12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I would assume an Audi would be a hell of a lot more to maintain than a caddy. I dunno myself, but keep hearing that Audi isn't very reliable long term?

corsvette
12-23-2012, 12:46 AM
I couldn't imagine how much it would cost just to maintain that TDI nevermind fix it if somthing goes wrong. If you liked you're caddy why not buy another? The new gen Escalades are a huge upgrade over the older model.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Who cares, they are luxury suv's and the cost to own is assumed.

I'd drive both and buy what fits your family.

I personally hate Audi's and would rather have a GL or the Escalade.

amear
12-23-2012, 01:26 AM
not any of the above choices, but for the money how about a Infinity FX50S?

stealth
12-23-2012, 05:47 AM
I actually was looking online and the reviews of the 3.0 TDI are great. No one has had any major issues with the Q7s.

My current Escalade has been good, but they were notorious for transmission issues, and I believe mine has come to that.

The main thing I also hated about the Escalade was the resale value. It couldn't hold a decent value worth shit.

I think the FX50 is small for what I want, but I will look into it.

The current Q7 I am looking at also has 160K warranty until 2016 so that is an added bonus, and it is bumper to bumper except for dash electronics (basically stereo).

charlie2
12-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Had a 2007 FX35 -- too small, way too small so I bought a 2010 Q7 Tdi prestige/s-line. Have 2 little kids in car seats and a dog, so its size is perfect.

I imported mine from the states, had to pay 5% GST and 6% duty on import, saved huge ($10K+). Finding a TDI prestige was almost impossible in Canada, where the selection is much greater in the US.

Had it for 3 months so far and 5000km's of driving and I love it. Very luxurious, lots of space and I am getting around 22/24mpg city and upwards of 30mpg highway even at 125km/hr. Lots of power with the deisel, but not as zippy as the FX35, but it is bigger/heavier. No diesel noises or smells noticeable.

Never considered the escalade due to its larger size and poor fuel mileage with the big V8. The Q7 fits in my garage with lots of room to spare. Its my wifes suv and she considered the full size SUV's to be way too big.

I would totally buy another Q7 TDI. Go for it.

Edit: should add this is my first audi/vw vehicle and a year ago if you had suggested a vw product I would have said never ever....but this one reviewed so well and had everything I wanted so here I am.

Zhariak
12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by stealth
So I am looking at a new SUV for my family...

I currently have a 03 Escalade and it is time to get something newer.

Now my choices are an Audi Q7 TDI or a Cadillac Escalade. I would be looking at around the 2010/2011 models for both.

I know they are two different vehicles and totally different type of engines.

What would you guys recommend?

Escalade all the way... And furthermore I'd say get an ESV.

I recently got rid of my 2008 ESV and got a normal size 2013 Escalade. Magnetic ride control on the new beasts are sick (still miss the ESV though).

As someone else mentioned, huge difference with the Escalades on the older gen's veruses the newer gen (2007+). Make sure you get the luxury package with the 22's and AWD.

stealth
12-23-2012, 11:58 AM
ESV is too big.

Yes I am considering the ones with the 22's fully loaded.

My 03 was very reliable until recently. The wheel/hub bearingshave been replaced twice and now the transmission is done!

I know the older gens (03-06) had major transmission issues, and that is what is scaring me away from the Escalades. Also the horrible resale value that they have

msommers
12-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by charlie2
Had a 2007 FX35 -- too small, way too small so I bought a 2010 Q7 Tdi prestige/s-line. Have 2 little kids in car seats and a dog, so its size is perfect.

I imported mine from the states, had to pay 5% GST and 6% duty on import, saved huge ($10K+). Finding a TDI prestige was almost impossible in Canada, where the selection is much greater in the US.

Had it for 3 months so far and 5000km's of driving and I love it. Very luxurious, lots of space and I am getting around 22/24mpg city and upwards of 30mpg highway even at 125km/hr. Lots of power with the deisel, but not as zippy as the FX35, but it is bigger/heavier. No diesel noises or smells noticeable.

Never considered the escalade due to its larger size and poor fuel mileage with the big V8. The Q7 fits in my garage with lots of room to spare. Its my wifes suv and she considered the full size SUV's to be way too big.

I would totally buy another Q7 TDI. Go for it.

Edit: should add this is my first audi/vw vehicle and a year ago if you had suggested a vw product I would have said never ever....but this one reviewed so well and had everything I wanted so here I am.

Is your Audi warranty valid in Canada since you bought in the states?

schocker
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Full audi warranty transfers but extended warranty with CPO does not.

colinxx235
12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Escalade all the way... And furthermore I'd say get an ESV.

I recently got rid of my 2008 ESV and got a normal size 2013 Escalade. Magnetic ride control on the new beasts are sick (still miss the ESV though).

As someone else mentioned, huge difference with the Escalades on the older gen's veruses the newer gen (2007+). Make sure you get the luxury package with the 22's and AWD.

+1 for escalade, but go for the regular, not ESV. This guy is a huge doucheeee :rofl: :rofl:

Plus go white over black too, cause black is the biggest bitch to keep clean lol

Only thing that sucks about new ones is you lose the heated washer fluid over old ones

Zhariak
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

+1 for escalade, but go for the regular, not ESV. This guy is a huge doucheeee :rofl: :rofl:

Plus go white over black too, cause black is the biggest bitch to keep clean lol

Only thing that sucks about new ones is you lose the heated washer fluid over old ones

Snap :banghead: hahaha ;)

I don't think any of us Canadians had any issues with that recall on the heated fluid system. Most of us used it only in the winter. They got rid of it because of the Americans using it in hot weather to get sap off their windshields, I think I actually saw a video on the internet of an SUV with the system shooting flames from the windshield sprayer thingies, hahaha

corsvette
12-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Snap :banghead: hahaha ;)

I don't think any of us Canadians had any issues with that recall on the heated fluid system. Most of us used it only in the winter. They got rid of it because of the Americans using it in hot weather to get sap off their windshields, I think I actually saw a video on the internet of an SUV with the system shooting flames from the windshield sprayer thingies, hahaha

My Dad still has the heated fluid on his Sierra, he says if it burns down its insured. :D

There should be a brand new Escalade right around the corner. this will ensure a great deal on a 07-13 model!

stealth
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
How about throwing a Range Rover Sport Supercharged into the mix.

I hear that they are terribly unreliable, but is this also true for the 09+ Supercharged models?

AndyL
12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd be thinking ml or gl benz's if I was shopping that range...

But I'd still go with a Toyota or lexus :D GX470 or 460 baby :drool:

Supa Dexta
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

My Dad still has the heated fluid on his Sierra, he says if it burns down its insured. :D

Yeah I still have it too, I love it.. Just have to keep telling them not to remove in when its at the dealers, I signed off on it originally, but they keep asking about it - just leave it alone damnit!

stealth
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
I'd be thinking ml or gl benz's if I was shopping that range...

But I'd still go with a Toyota or lexus :D GX470 or 460 baby :drool:

ML is too small. The wife thinks the GL looks like a minivan.:dunno:

I rented a GL550 in Miami and really liked it...

charlie2
12-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Factory warranty to 80,000km's is honoured, but like mentioned below no extended warranty of CPO warranty....As confirmed from Audi Canada.