PDA

View Full Version : buy 70" TV during boxing day or wait?

taemo
12-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Just wanted to hear from others who have or planned to buy a TV during the boxing day sales.

Fiance and I are looking to buy a 70", it's really not a must at this time since I already have a 46" but we definitely want a giant screen at our new home in May

Are the boxing sales prices worth it for us to buy and use the TV now or should we wait til May/June and maybe see what 70" they have then.

I know the 32-47" TV prices depreciates quickly but what about the big screen 60+

OU812
12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by taemo
Just wanted to hear from others who have or planned to buy a TV during the boxing day sales.

Fiance and I are looking to buy a 70", it's really not a must at this time since I already have a 46" but we definitely want a giant screen at our new home in May

Are the boxing sales prices worth it for us to buy and use the TV now or should we wait til May/June and maybe see what 70" they have then.

I know the 32-47" TV prices depreciates quickly but what about the big screen 60+

With how fast TV prices drop these days the deals in May will probably be just as good as boxing day

wtf im nameless
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
TV models typically last 6 to 12 months before they are discontinued and replaced. As the models get older the costs will drop, a price drop usually happens every 2-3 months. You'll most likely see "boxing day" prices again, but not until a couple of price drops happen, most likely in late spring or summer. If you don't need it now, I'd suggest waiting until spring/summer... if you want it before then, boxing day is typically the best time to buy. If you want to know how good of a deal a certain TV is, just PM me the model and price and I'll let you know how good of a deal it is and if it's worth buying in my opinion.

Maxx Mazda
12-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Boxing day "sales" are a total sham anyways. Wait till May.

bjstare
12-23-2012, 12:11 PM
No one "needs" a 70" tv. Wait til you're in your new place so you don't have to move it.

taemo
12-23-2012, 12:19 PM
^thanks for everyones input, yeah i knew that boxing sales arent really worth it and this pretty much confirms it.
Ill probably just wait until May/June once we have our place to buy the TV, transporting it definitely is another issue

revelations
12-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
No one "needs" a 70" tv. Wait til you're in your new place so you don't have to move it.

:rofl:

is 70" the new standard that 32" was 10 years ago?

Tik-Tok
12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by revelations

:rofl:

is 70" the new standard that 32" was 10 years ago?

Lol. I honestly don't get it. I mean personal opinion and all, but I'd rather have a 42"-47" $700 tv for games/tv watching, and a $4000 projector/110" screen for movies.

wtf im nameless
12-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Boxing day "sales" are a total sham anyways. Wait till May.

No they're not, you just have to know what you're looking for and how good of a deal it is. Some things are crazy deals while others are the same as every other sale. Retailers have the ability to make deals with manufacturers where they get a rebate on TVs or other electronics that are sold between a certain time frame. Basically they can get cost lowered during boxing week to what it will probably be 6 months from now, and pass the savings on to consumers.

Over the years I've seen numerous electronics sold for less than what cost is in January.

revelations
12-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol. I honestly don't get it. I mean personal opinion and all, but I'd rather have a 42"-47" $700 tv for games/tv watching, and a $4000 projector/110" screen for movies.

The wife and i have a used, 720p, 200$ projector in the media room that talks to a PC and throws a 100" image on a wall. Great for surfing or watching Free-tv.com, movies etc. :dunno:

taemo
12-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I had a Dell 720p projector but ended up selling it, not a big fan of projector and lifespan of lamps.
this TV will mainly be used by my fiance as I rarely watch TV unless movies and my favorite TV shows anyways.
I might settle between 60-70" depending on price and what TV though as afterwards we have no plans on upgrading to anything else.

wtf im nameless
12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah bulb life, noise and heat are all down sides to projectors. Thankfully LED projectors are going up in lumens and down in price. Most have a 60,000+ hour bulb life. My feeling is once you can get a 4k LED projector with 2000+ lumens for under 5k they will become much more popular than they are today.

One of my favourites is the DPI LED projector, but the last few I sold were $14,000 and they're still only 1080p and 600 lumens. They've since dropped in price but they're still over 10k.