PDA

View Full Version : CSCC Ghost Lake Rallycross Info Posted

Sentry
12-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Hey All,

Rallycross INFO:

We are planning 4 event ICE Cup at Ghost Lake. This is not to replace the CSCC Rallycross series but rather try something different while we work on the new venue for next year’s DiRT Cup.

Dates:
Jan 20
Feb 3
Feb 17
Mar 3

The event format stays the same, with two heats, 3-4 runs per heat, cumulative total of a participants two fastest laps, one from the morning and one from the afternoon.
Series results will be based on the best 3 finishes.

Three classes: FWD, RWD and AWD

The new stuff:

In the email from SRD it was made clear that we have to preserve the stream, lake bed and shore line.
We will collect the garbage and have a spill kits at the site.

Please make sure you come to the event with mechanically sound car, if during the pre event inspection we notice your car drips fluids you will be ask to leave.

During the discussion at the CSCC meeting the decision was made to require each participant to park vehicle on tarp in parking area. We are aware of other clubs doing this and we also believe it’s a good preventative measures.

As for the tires:

Commercially available DOT tires only.

Commercially available street studs only.

No screws or bolts, rally, zamboni or other oversize studs.

We’re still looking for a gravel lot; If anybody has any possible leads please send me a note rally at altadadecorating dot com

Kramerica
12-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Can't wait for this, I regret not getting my tires studded now but it should be lots of fun.

mboldt
12-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Miata would be a blast. Hmmmm.

flipstah
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Subscribing because I want in. :poosie:

slammedfc
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
how muchy?

mboldt
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I wanna know how much too. Definitely interested... Also what safety equipment is required?

MGCM
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
price has not been decided yet, stay tuned for more info, its coming, slowly.

Canmorite
01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Ohhh yes, been wanting to try this!

MGCM
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
update yay!!!!!!

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php?topic=11589.msg61513;topicseen#new

CSCC 2013 Winter RallyCross “ICE Cup”
Program Overview

1 INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the 2013 Winter RallyCross “ICE Cup” presented by the Calgary Sports Car Club(CSCC). As much as I loved the lot at the Race City, I think a frozen lake will provide us all with just as much excitement and fun.

RallyCross is a recreational off-road solo2 event in which participants compete individually against the clock on a temporary pylon course setup on a gravel parking lot. The “ICE Cup” will be four event series taking place on snow covered frozen lake and if things go well we will have a “DiRT Cup” later this year on more familiar gravel surface.
Series will be held at Ghost Lake, and this document provides a program overview of the CSCC 2013 AutoCross Program.

2 SCHEDULE
We are planning 4 event series

Jan 20: Event 1
Feb 3: Event 2
Feb 17: Event 3
Mar 3: Event 4

3 ENTRY FEE
registered on Karelo
CSCC Member - $30 per participant
Nonmember - $40 per participant

registered at the site
CSCC Member - $40 per participant
Nonmember - $50 per participant

(two participants per car is allowed, more than two is not)

4 PRIZES
swag from participating sponsors!

5 LOCATION
Ghost Lake just west of Cochrane, a 45-60 min drive from most places in Calgary.

- Note that strict control of event site is strongly enforced. No warm-up, fast, or spirited driving allowed anywhere within the lake (other than on the AutoCross track).

6 WEATHER AND EVENT CANCELLATION
Event will run rain or shine and at all temps above -25 degrees. All participants are encouraged to check the CSCC Web Board one day before to check for event updates or changes.

7 COMPETITION FORMAT
Double Heat format
3-4 timed runs in both the morning and afternoon heats.
Result is based on the cumulative total of a participants two(2) fastest laps, one(1) from the morning and one(1) from the afternoon.
Run in three simple car classes: all wheel drive, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive

8 SERIES FORMAT
Series results will be based on the best 3 finishes for the season.
In each of the car classes, points will be assigned for each event to the top 12 finishers in the value 20 for first in class, 16 for second, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Points classing may change prior to first event, but not after.

Also this year we will be running a rookie championship! Rookies will be based on 5 or less rallycross events in the past seasons.

9 EVENT SCHEDULE

Afternoon of the day before each race, Course setup
8:00-9:30 Course and Timing Setup
8:00-9:30 Registration and Tech
9:30-9:45 Drivers Meeting
10:00-15:00ish Timed Runs
15:00ish-16:30 Fun Runs and clean up

Please make sure to arrive on time to help facilitate schedule.

10 EVENT OUTLINE
Volunteers
- It takes at least 8 dedicated volunteers (and involved, cooperative participants!) to run a successful event. Please come out a bit early and help set up or volunteer to help with tech inspection or timing. As a minimum all competitors are required to spend one half of the event marshalling.

Registration
- upon arrival, all participants and spectators are to report to Registration.
- All participants and spectators will sign any/all waivers for event
- Participants will:
- Pay event entry
- Fill out entry form if a new participant. Car number will be assigned at this time

Technical Inspection
- Following registration participants are to claim a position in the paddock/parking area and prepare the vehicle for the event. Parking in designated area on nylon tarp only, a minimum of a two car widths must be left between parked cars. Remove all loose articles.
- Report to the Tech Inspection rep when your vehicle is ready for inspection.
- Please try to stay with your vehicle until it has been inspected. Drivers should be present during tech inspection.
- In order to be allowed to complete a vehicle will be checked to ensure that:
- Seat belts are in good working condition (stock three-point seat belts are acceptable)
- Acceptable pressure in brake system (pedal doesn't hit the floor!)
- No loose items in the vehicle
- Battery securely fascinated (no bungee cords!)
- Brake Fluid levels within vehicle prescribed limits (no leaking fluids of any kind!)
- Tires in safe operating condition
- Wheel bearings not loose and all wheel nuts acceptable
- Participant has a M2000 or newer SNELL approved helmet

Note: Parking on tarps only, remember to bring one with you, Princess Auto is good source for inexpensive tarp.

Tires
- Commercially available DOT tires only.
- Commercially available street studs only (No screws or bolts, rally, zamboni or other oversize studs)
Winter tires are not mandatory but we highly recommend using them.
Note that the marshal and organizers have the right to deny entry to any vehicle deemed unsafe (with a full entry fee refund supplied). The organizers also have the right to re-tech any vehicle at any time and deny further participation of the vehicle if deemed unsafe.

Drivers Meeting
- All participants are required to attend the drivers meeting.

Timed Runs
Cars will be divided into two or three run groups (depending on number of competitors). 3 to 4 runs per participant before rotation of groups. During drivers meeting the initial tasking and rotation order will be established.

Marshals:
- all competitors are expected to marshal
Ensure you have warm clothes and appropriate footwear,
It’s recommended you invest in pair of ice grippers (something like this
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/TractionDevices/PRD~5015-800/stabilicers-lite-cleat-traction-device.jsp)

Your responsibility when Marshaling is:
- Remaining alert and watching for problems or unsafe conditions on the track
- Identifying dangers to and stopping competitors
- Maintaining radio contact with Race Control
- Reporting and Replacing displaced cones
- Watching other competitors, learning, and having fun
- Keeping warm

11 Other Rules and Regulations
These events are held under the spirit of the CNAC Rulebook. All of sections 3 and 4 of the CNAC Regulations apply.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Might think about coming out and getting my ass kicked on 205 wide non studded tires and RWD :nut:

Kramerica
01-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Definitely going to come out. I've got 175 non-studded so I'm banking on heavy snow to make a decent showing.

MGCM
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Definitely going to come out. I've got 175 non-studded so I'm banking on heavy snow to make a decent showing.

good for about the first 5 cars if that, im speaking from experience, lol and it only gets worse as the day goes

Murray Peterson
01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Highly polished ice is what you will get. Buy some YakTrax if you value your life when standing out on the ice marshalling. Or even if you want to be able to stand...

cherpintow
01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
How rough does it get out there for those that have done this before?

Sentry
01-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Not rough at all. Long as you got 4+ inches of ground clearance you're good.

180drft
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
YUS! Im down :D

flipstah
01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Very interested in doing this!

Just to clarify: does it HAVE to be studded or can studless winters apply?

Murray Peterson
01-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Studless is fine -- I believe quite a few people are in that boat. The phrase "you are going to lose" has been used at least once :)

This is a regular club event, so do dress *very* warm -- you will be standing outside on the lake surface for an hour or more when marshalling (chasing cones). And seriously, buy some grippers for your shoes or you won't be able to get out of the way when a car starts sliding in your direction. And don't forget a tarp for your car to park on in the pits -- it is mandatory.

Boosted_TL
01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Spectators? I did read the thread but may have missed. Might run the S4 Avant on studs... Just a little worried about the terrain and losing a front bumper ....

Boosted_TL
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Any word? I picture the ice being nice a groomed so to speak. I will come prepared to enter the event, but may opt out when I see the terrain.

Looking forward!

flipstah
01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson
Highly polished ice is what you will get. Buy some YakTrax if you value your life when standing out on the ice marshalling. Or even if you want to be able to stand...

How the hell am I going to get traction with that?! I need me some powder on top.

Kramerica
01-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Just found an oil leak in my car this weekend, kinda dissapointing since I was so stoked for this :cry:

lilmira
01-16-2013, 04:09 PM
It will probably be extra polished with the warm spell that we are having now.

Murray Peterson
01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

How the hell am I going to get traction with that?! I need me some powder on top.

Powder or snow won't help. After the first dozen cars or so, the surface will be polished to a mirror surface by spinning tires.

Murray Peterson
01-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Spectators? I did read the thread but may have missed. Might run the S4 Avant on studs... Just a little worried about the terrain and losing a front bumper ....

Spectating is allowed -- and most people will happily give you rides (bring a helmet or borrow one of the club loaners).

There tend to be snow drifts on the lake, but if you follow others, there should be a nice lane plowed out by other people's bumpers. If you are racing, don't hit cones -- those things are pretty hard when the temps are low.

lil brown
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Will a DOT helmet work instead of SNELL?

Kramerica
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Just curious about about the leaking fluids policy, right now my car is leaking a very small amount of oil. Would that be enough get me barred from the event?

mboldt
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I won't be able to make this one, but february I'll definitely be out!!

Murray Peterson
01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Just curious about about the leaking fluids policy, right now my car is leaking a very small amount of oil. Would that be enough get me barred from the event?

Completely and instantly banned -- this is a drinking water reservoir.

Kramerica
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson

Completely and instantly banned -- this is a drinking water reservoir.

Makes sense, fair enough.

Murray Peterson
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by lil brown
Will a DOT helmet work instead of SNELL?

DOT helemts aren't good enough. Snell M2000 or better is required. The club does have loaner helmets, but you have to share with all the other people -- you might want a hair net or something. I don't think those helmets have been washed in the last few years :(

lil brown
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Sounds delicious

probe_s13
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't have a car to drive on the course but I will come out and take some photos of the event

gyromonkey
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I was hoping to bring my GTR out but I had a little run in with a deer. I'm still gonna try and come out and watch

mr2mike
01-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Great winter day for AutoX.
Good showing too. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Sentry
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Going this weekend.

DeleriousZ
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Damn this would be a ton of fun in the Z. Don't think summer tires would cut it tho lol.

sh0ko
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM
anybody know if passengers (not driving) are allowed?

Cueman
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
anybody know if passengers (not driving) are allowed?

They need to sign a waiver and observe a few rules, but yes.