PDA

View Full Version : What is this cold air thing for?

duaner
12-24-2012, 02:13 PM
The other end of this duct goes straight to the outside. Other than brackets which attach this piece to the side of the furnace, it does not interface with anything. It's cold air in an insulated duct straight from outside into the basement, hence the frost. It runs beside the actual cold air intake for the furnace.

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y426/duanerification/IMG_0011_zpsb9819f62.jpg

So what is this for, other than making our basement cold?

C_Dave45
12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Its your cold air supply for the furnace to breathe/burn. Otherwise it pulls air in through any cracks/holes in the house.

duaner
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Its your cold air supply for the furnace to breathe/burn. Otherwise it pulls air in through any cracks/holes in the house.
Even though there is another intake that goes directly into the furnace?

blitz
12-24-2012, 02:52 PM
The other intake is for fresh air to be circulated. This one is just for air to be burned in the combustion process. Like the intake for your car.

ianmcc
12-24-2012, 03:24 PM
And as you see by the frost it goes straight to the outside.
Replace it with a Hoyme damper.
http://www.hoyme.com/
Closes it off until the furnace kicks in and then it opens up to let air circulate.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I have a auto damper and I dont know why any house has anything but. Looks super easy to wire in as well.

ianmcc
12-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Since it is thermostat activated it is only 24v and yes it is super easy to wire up yourself.

Darell_n
12-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by duaner

Even though there is another intake that goes directly into the furnace?

How about the hot water tank? If no appliance needed it, no air would be coming out of it. (and no frost) The fresh air supply for circulation should be connected directly to the return air plenum on the furnace and not dumped into the room.

codetrap
12-24-2012, 08:11 PM

89s1
12-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I think in a perfect world that would be true, but I'm pretty certain there's a couple of bars pressure difference between outside and inside due to temperature.

You're right. The pressures inside of buildings can be pretty impressive.

I've had sheets of glass jump right out into my hands once the plates holding it in were removed. (being pushed on by nothing other than the air pressure in the building.)

dirtsniffer
12-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Holly fuck, a couple bars seems excessive doesn't it?
That's more pressure than most turbos make. If that difference was on temperature alone you would need -73 degrees outside and 327 degrees inside. Assuming density didn't change.

Maybe it would fluctuate 20 mbar?

codetrap
12-25-2012, 09:33 AM

ExtraSlow
12-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Holly fuck, a couple bars seems excessive doesn't it?
That's more pressure than most turbos make. If that difference was on temperature alone you would need -73 degrees outside and 327 degrees inside. Assuming density didn't change.

Maybe it would fluctuate 20 mbar?
Don't go bringing math into this place. I was pretty sure beyond was a math free zone.

89s1
12-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I should also add I didn't read the "couple bars" part.

There is a difference in pressure, can't say for sure what the actual amount is... But I wouldn't put it at ~30psi

revelations
12-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I should also add I didn't read the "couple bars" part.

There is a difference in pressure, can't say for sure what the actual amount is... But I wouldn't put it at ~30psi

A 1 psi difference means that a large plate glass window will have many pounds of force pushing it out or in.

I have one of these intakes in the basement as well. Its stupid cold there now, i masked off everything except a 3 square inch and the air just streams right in still - but the basement is MUCH warmer now.

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Crazy for every 1 cubic foot if natural gas it needs 55 cubic feet of primary air and 5 cubic feet of secondary air for safe complete combustion. That "thing" is called a combustion air pot it is sized for the size of your furnace and by blocking it off you have the potential for reburning the products of combustion ( co2 and water in a perfect world) reburn co2 and what do you get co! Carbon monoxide THE SILENT KILLER. Hvac expert did you get any credentials? Do you trust him with your life? If you want to stop he air put in a high efficient furnace. Or at least the auto damper just make sure you her one that will fail open in the event it fails.

Darell_n
12-30-2012, 08:37 AM
The proper way to cure the draft is to build 4 walls and a door around the furnace and water heater. This way the basement will be warmer and can now be a living space.

codetrap
12-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Darell_n
12-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I did that. I also put a cold air return in the wall just like I'm supposed to. And it worked perfectly, returning the cold air to fill the entire basement. Before I sealed that sucker off, my basements average temp was 16C, that's with the rest of the house at 23C. Eventually, I might put in a hoyme damper, when I have some spare cash sitting around. However, considering that neither the CO, Ng, or smoke alarms has ever tripped in that small room, I'm not terribly worried.

The return air requirements do not change by building a mechanical room. Ideally, this room should be air tight from the basement space. If you have an air grill simply going through the wall from the mechanical room, board it up and leave all the cold air inside. (with the outdoor air supply still functioning)

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
You should never have a cold air ra in the furnace room. I will come look at your place and give you the whole story and what you need to do to midagate off cycle losses.

Tinman installations 403-454-5597

firebane
11-09-2020, 05:04 PM
I realize that this thread is a bit well old :D But strangely found it through Google so feel like just add to it.

Was in the basement the other day and found that this same contraption was dumping massive amounts of cold air into my basement. Now I know the furnace room should be sealed off and for the most part... it is.

But someone recommended putting a Hoyme damper in and wondering what the thoughts and feelings are on this?

I can actually feel cold outside air being dumped through the air vents in various places in the basement so would like to have this stop.

ExtraSlow
11-09-2020, 05:28 PM
Your picture is inconclusive.

vengie
11-09-2020, 05:37 PM
I realize that this thread is a bit well old :D But strangely found it through Google so feel like just add to it.

Was in the basement the other day and found that this same contraption was dumping massive amounts of cold air into my basement. Now I know the furnace room should be sealed off and for the most part... it is.

But someone recommended putting a Hoyme damper in and wondering what the thoughts and feelings are on this?

I can actually feel cold outside air being dumped through the air vents in various places in the basement so would like to have this stop.

Put the intake into a 5 gallon bucket, leaving a 2-3" gap a the bottom of the pail.
When cold air is required it will take it from the bucket, and the pail will contain the cold air

Nufy
11-09-2020, 06:45 PM
How old is your furnace...

I believe if its Mid / high efficiency it should have a dedicated PVC line direct to the furnace.

2 actually...one for combustion air...one for exhaust.

Darell_n
11-09-2020, 07:44 PM
How old is your furnace...

I believe if its Mid / high efficiency it should have a dedicated PVC line direct to the furnace.

2 actually...one for combustion air...one for exhaust.

Only a high efficiency unit will use plastic.