PDA

View Full Version : License plate frame

EG6boi
12-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Anybody know if its illegal to have a license plate frame that covers either the month or year stickers? I've tried looking for the infraction but I haven't really found anything yet.

7thgenvic
12-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't get why you would want this?

EG6boi
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Family friend got me a license plate frame for Christmas but the bottom portion of the frame is wider so it covers half of my year sticker; I didn't know if it was illegal or not.

eglove
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
just dremel it away so it shows

FraserB
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by eglove
just dremel it away so it shows

This. You'll get a bunch of attention with year or momth covered.

EG6boi
12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Anybody got one I can borrow? lol

That.Guy.S30
12-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I've been fine. Mostly likely you have a plate frame for US cars.
I have one on my daily and my Z. No hassle, the sticker sticks out just enough to see the year and month, well kinda.

Traffic_Cop
12-26-2012, 11:47 AM
By the letter of the law, nothing can cover any portion of the plate, it must be completley clear and visible.

Fine is $115. Most officers are fine, and wont bother you if we can CLEARLY read the plate, and see month/year portions.

EG6boi
12-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
By the letter of the law, nothing can cover any portion of the plate, it must be completley clear and visible.

Fine is $115. Most officers are fine, and wont bother you if we can CLEARLY read the plate, and see month/year portions.

My month is clearly shown but only my year is half covered. Is that okay?

Traffic_Cop
12-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Not really, plate has to be FULLY visible to avoid a ticket. If you are asking me if you are going to get harrased, I cant answer that. Every officer is different.

The section is pretty to the point :-

Condition of licence plate
71(1) No person shall drive a vehicle if the licence plate is not
securely attached in accordance with this Regulation, legible and clearly visible at all times.

Kloubek
12-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Keep in mind too that if you ever got pulled over for say, speeding - that on the event the cop wants to stick it to you that is just another ticket waiting to happen.

Probably best to fix the issue before it becomes one.

Traffic_Cop: What is the law on plate covers? Like say, a clear one? I had one back in BC and was told one time that it was illegal... yet if it is perfectly clear I can't really see why it wouldn't be legal. With that said, when it does get dirty it does cover the entire plate rather than the plate embossed letters still being able to be seen....

Traffic_Cop
12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Kloubek, covers are illegal for that very issue. The letters on a plate are raised in case a plate does get dirty, it helps them stand out.

Nothing can cover a plate.

TomcoPDR
12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Kloubek, covers are illegal for that very issue. The letters on a plate are raised in case a plate does get dirty, it helps them stand out.

Nothing can cover a plate.

There's a major dealership that includes a full clear license plate cover on every one of their new vehicle delivery.

Traffic_Cop
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

There's a major dealership that includes a full clear license plate cover on every one of their new vehicle delivery.

Yup, and very often dealerships will also sell a vehicle with an illegal frame too.

lilmira
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I have seen those clear plate cover. It's completely unreadable with a light layer of dirt. It's basically saying "pull me over now".

TomcoPDR
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Yup, and very often dealerships will also sell a vehicle with an illegal frame too.

Funny question is that, why can't the police stop the problem from the source.

Most people who aren't too familar with the TSA or haven't been through an incident with these types of issues, wouldn't know that the plate cover installed by their new car dealership could net them an extra ticket.

Traffic_Cop
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Funny question is that, why can't the police stop the problem from the source.

Most people who aren't too familar with the TSA or haven't been through an incident with these types of issues, wouldn't know that the plate cover installed by their new car dealership could net them an extra ticket.

Its our laws. Its not illegal to install, just to opearate. You see this with lots of aftermarket products. Generally on the boxes of these items you will see the worlds smallest print " novelty item, not for road use. Check with local law enforcement before operating". - something to that effect.

With regards to the Dealers. If it were me getting ticketed, i'd be ensuring the Dealership would be paying it.

DEATH2000
12-29-2012, 12:10 PM

With regards to the Dealers. If it were me getting ticketed, i'd be ensuring the Dealership would be paying it.
Bingo. If it came that way from a Dealership, they should know better. Especially if it was a tint ticket.