PDA

View Full Version : Options on relocating TV on top of Chimney

Daxin
12-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I have about 46 inches of room on top of my chimney and it would be great to have a tv up there. There are power plug ins but no cable jacks. It would be nice to have the cable line relocated up there. Can this be done? Is there a wireless solution?

wtf im nameless
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes it can be done, but if you don't want to see any wires or a cable track you'll need to open up the drywall. You won't find a wireless solution that looks even remotely close to the picture you'll get from hard wiring it.

FYI If you put the TV up there it will be way too high if you like to watch from that couch.

botox
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I have the exact same setup with our TV on top of the fireplace. I found a hutch that fit nicely between the wall and fireplace that covered all the cables. Depends how picky you are I guess but you can also get cable covers if you don't want to open up the drywall.

eblend
12-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Could use this for wireless HDMI, has good reviews:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1011011&p_id=8087&seq=1&format=2

I assume you want the TV to be hanging there, or is there enough of a ledge for the TV to sit outside of the box (or does it fit in the box?)

My fried had this same setup and we just finished his custom box in the back to hold it all together. I can post pics if you are interested

eblend
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Also, if your basement is not developed you may be able to fish the wires up without having to break drywall.

frozenrice
12-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Condo or house? If its a house is the floor level below finished? You might be able fish in a cable outlet from the floor beneath and behind the fireplace framing. Just my 2 cents.

***edit: eblend beat me to it.

wtf im nameless
12-26-2012, 08:44 PM
If you have bottom access through an undeveloped basement and try to fish it make sure the cable is fastened to something well and you can clearly see that it's not touching anything that gets hot back there. Also, regardless if you do open up the drywall or just fish from below you may want to run some ethernet and speaker wire in addition to the co-ax while you have it open, just something to consider.

bignerd
12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I personally find all tv's mounted above fireplaces to high to comfortably watch for any amount of time. They are fine from a distance I guess.