PDA

View Full Version : Audi Reliability

Accident
12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I was in the market for a New SUV and i stumbled across the Audi Q5. I don't know much about Audi so i was wondering what your experience or friends experience with their vehicles have been like, things like reliability, Stealership warranty problems even the good. I want a reliable vehicle and the other SUV we like is Lexus RX350 but im leaning towards the Audi. the good or bad everything helps thanks guys!!

Type_S1
12-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Audis are terrible vehicles for reliability as are volkswagens. Stay away if you want reliable

btimbit
12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Traditionally Audi + Reliabilty were just two words that did not go together, but the new Q7 TDI has had amazing reviews and the diesel is very reliable. Not sure about the Q5, haven't read anything about them.

Useful post, I know

bart
12-26-2012, 05:30 PM
buy a toyota or honda cause shit doesn't break ;)

Accident
12-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Well it seems unanimous so far that they are terrible for reliability. i just didn't think that they were that bad but if the forum stays this way i will most likely stay with the lexus

bspot
12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
My 2004 Audi that I just sold last month had the following list of out of warranty repairs:

-Motor mounts.

$250 in repairs in the 5 years I owned it.

Kramerica
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
They made cheap cars back in the late 90s/early 00s. That coupled with the fact that because of their AWD system and other factors means that they aren't exactly the most simple cars to work on, which gives them their notorious reputation for reliability. Keep in mind that Volkswagen shares parts across brands whenever possible, they're just better at hiding it than GM is.

Accident
12-26-2012, 06:06 PM
anybody else with some experience with the new model's of audi?

muse017
12-26-2012, 06:43 PM
purchased 13' Audi A4 this fall and since then I've had zero issue with it so far(10,000km) though not enough mileage to comment on reliability yet.

bart
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
consumer reports 2012 most reliable cars:

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia

like i said, better buy something asian haha

heavyD
12-26-2012, 07:24 PM
My brother has had two Audi's now and nary a problem with either. I don't think their cars are as bad as a lot of posters would have you believe as on the internet people simply like to bandwagon topics they themselves don't really have any experience on.

It's no secret that simple cars with the lowest technology will have the least amount of issues hence Scion at top spot.

corsvette
12-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Consumers reports is best for reviews on TV's and toasters. Heres the JD power 2012 brand reports. JD takes into account the severity of owner problems, so if a car goes in to the dealer with a simple reflash VS a blown engine they take that into account.

Case in point- Ford fell to nearly the bottom of Consumer Reports reliability surveys, why? the Ford mytouch. Never did CR take into account that most people don't know how to use the system correctly. Consumers Reports is a joke imo.

JD power results, any company past #12 is below average for problems. Audi is #15 VW #26 and last is Chrysler!
http://www.jdpower.com/content/press-release-auto/Q5wPftR/2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study.htm
1- Lexus
2- Porsche
3- Cadillac (tie)
4- Toyota (tie)
5- Scion
6- Mercedes
7- Lincoln
8- Ford
9- Buick
10- Hyundai
11- Acura
12- Honda

corsvette
12-26-2012, 07:44 PM
TrueDelta is another one. The Audi does well here and you can read from actual owners what problems they had.

http://www.truedelta.com/Audi-Q5/reliability-874

Xtrema
12-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Accident
I was in the market for a New SUV and i stumbled across the Audi Q5. I don't know much about Audi so i was wondering what your experience or friends experience with their vehicles have been like, things like reliability, Stealership warranty problems even the good. I want a reliable vehicle and the other SUV we like is Lexus RX350 but im leaning towards the Audi. the good or bad everything helps thanks guys!!

If you can't find one better than the other, and reliability is top of your list, I would just take the RX350. Especially if you are planning to keep it outside of warranty period.

If reliability is your #1 concern, stay away from the Germans. TCO is just higher when it comes to German cars. I'm not saying Audi reliability is bad. But the Germans are not like the Japanese, they keep updating parts and using new techs. So when problem do come, it takes more skills set and more expensive, less available parts to fix.

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure at least 80% of the parts you find on a 2013 RX350, you will find the same on the 2003 RX350. They are reliable because Toyota never changes.

Aleks
12-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Well it seems unanimous so far that they are terrible for reliability. i just didn't think that they were that bad but if the forum stays this way i will most likely stay with the lexus

Thinking this way might lead to being disappointed. If you like one thing don't settle for something else just because you're worried of what may happen in the future. How long do you keep your cars anyway? These have 4 yr powertrain 5 yr comp warranty iirc, if something happens they will give you a new Audi to drive around in while they fix yours. :dunno:

Accident
12-26-2012, 11:41 PM
i try to keep the vehicles as long as possible or i give it to my parents or siblings that don't have reliable vehicles. Most of my vehicles have been Japanese and haven't had problems in the years that i own them regardless of mileage. I like seeing our vehicles die due to age and mileage.

That.Guy.S30
12-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I've always wanted to get a audi S4 avant (B7) but am always afraid of repair or maintenance bills. I troll around Audi forums and read horror stories. Of course the Audi will be a few years old with high mileage so it puts me to worry. My toyota has been rock solid with NO repairs needed @ 120 000KM and I suspect it would not be the same if I switched over to an S4.

Accident
12-27-2012, 02:49 AM
That's what had me worried as well once I pick a suv for my family I'm giving my 09 impreza with 179k to my father. The Subaru has just had regular maintinance with no issues exept some rust on the trunk. My expectation might be high because I've never had issues before with Japanese vehicles.

turbotrip
12-27-2012, 03:02 AM
any german car is more expensive to maintain, but in terms of actual reliability i think the newer Audi's are pretty good. I wouldnt believe too much of the responses in this thread as most probably speak with no experience.

redline
12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
any german car is more expensive to maintain, but in terms of actual reliability i think the newer Audi's are pretty good. .

I agree the German cars do break down more then Japanese cars. My rule is 5 years for German cars and you can go 10 plus on Japanese. Depands on your ownership habits. There is a price for the German driving experience no matter how cut it.

jaylo
12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
heavyD is correct, with the amount of technology and driving dynamics added to Audi, it is more prone to issues.

Any car will be reliable if maintained properly.

Graham_A_M
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bart
consumer reports 2012 most reliable cars:

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia

like i said, better buy something asian haha

In my experience that is the most biased publication known to man, if you wholly believe those goofs, I have bad news for you.

Those reports come from the same guys who review Blenders & Mattresses, go figure.
:facepalm:

The fact Mazda is even on that list, leave alone 4th makes me laugh.

heavyD
12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

In my experience that is the most biased publication known to man, if you wholly believe those goofs, I have bad news for you.

Those reports come from the same guys who review Blenders & Mattresses, go figure.
:facepalm:

The fact Mazda is even on that list, leave alone 4th makes me laugh.

Agreed. There's always been something off about Consumer Reports Car rankings. IMO they have biases towards certain manufactures. Mazda's have always been at the bottom of reliability and Subaru's always average or slightly below but they are so in love with the brand that they continue to trot it out as one of the most reliable even though they aren't and have never been.

asp integra
12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
To be honest the only new vehicle I would purchase is an Audi. For a few years now they have been nothing but reliable and anyone who posts otherwise is either uninformed or has heard of "bad reliability" from someone else and doesn't do any research of their own before jumping on the bandwagon

bart
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
i just googled most reliable cars, and posted the first thing i found, i don't follow any publication when it comes to reliability, because reliability is nowhere on my list when it comes to buying a car, that is why i buy VAG, i enjoying calling their free tow 800 number each week ;)

My_name_is_Rob
12-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I can't speak for the newer Audi/VAG, but for reliability on older VW's mine has never let me down. I'm approaching the 500k km mark, and wouldn't hesitate to take it out to the coast, or any other significant road trips.

man_u
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Ive had 2007 A4, had for 3 years now, not a single problem. If maintained well, car should be perfectly fine.

cam_wmh
12-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
My brother has had two Audi's now and nary a problem with either. I don't think their cars are as bad as a lot of posters would have you believe as on the internet people simply like to bandwagon topics they themselves don't really have any experience on.

It's no secret that simple cars with the lowest technology will have the least amount of issues hence Scion at top spot.

Very well said.

Accident
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Well I decided to pull the plug and be my own Ginny pig and I bought a new audi Q5 hope it will be good to me. Thanks for all your input!!

jaylo
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Well I decided to pull the plug and be my own Ginny pig and I bought a new audi Q5 hope it will be good to me. Thanks for all your input!!

Congrats, and it comes with factory 4yr or 80k

CanmoreOrLess
12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm waiting for the announced NA Q5 diesel, with a warranty for as long as I can get it. With a little luck, this Audi will be my gateway to an S4 as a second vehicle.

bart
12-28-2012, 06:03 PM
i have an s4 for sale right now, pm me :)

bastardchild
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Audis are terrible vehicles for reliability as are volkswagens. Stay away if you want reliable

Please don't listen to this loser that knows nothing.

I have had my RS4 (for over a year) and it has never given me any problems. One of my good friends has a first year R8 as well with no issues. If the car was maintained properly it will last, and newer Audi's (06+) are damn near flawless.

1barA4
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by bastardchild

If the car was maintained properly it will last, and newer Audi's (06+) are damn near flawless.

Even if maintained properly, I would still suggest staying away from pre-2002 Audis, I cannot comment on the 06+ models as I only have one friend who owns a newer Audi.

I had a B5 A4 (1997 with the aeb 1.8t engine) that was way more reliable than my other friends' B5s simply through sheer luck (and by throwing fistfuls of cash at it), but they maintained their vehicles by the book and still had issues.

sneek
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
I've always wanted to get a audi S4 avant (B7) but am always afraid of repair or maintenance bills. I troll around Audi forums and read horror stories. Of course the Audi will be a few years old with high mileage so it puts me to worry. My toyota has been rock solid with NO repairs needed @ 120 000KM and I suspect it would not be the same if I switched over to an S4.

I've always wanted a B6 S4 but my best friend has one and though it doesn't break down all the time, the car is randomly extremely expensive.

That said, another friend of mine has a B8 S4, with more mileage with no issues. The only thing he has gone through is tires
:burnout:

It is probably one of those your milage may vary type of things.

Accident
01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Well I've had my q5 just a couple of days and it already back at the dealers both daytime led light do not function and the hid bi xenon headlights are stuck on high. It's being fixed under warranty but still how did it get passed QC with headlights that don't function properly. Hopefully it's the only ill have I just hope I didn't make a mistake since most of you here did warn me I just couldn't get over how nice it was in and out and the fact it drives just like my wrx but oh we'll what can u do it's still to early this might be my only issue I have

Orbie
01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Well I've had my q5 just a couple of days and it already back at the dealers both daytime led light do not function and the hid bi xenon headlights are stuck on high. It's being fixed under warranty but still how did it get passed QC with headlights that don't function properly. Hopefully it's the only ill have I just hope I didn't make a mistake since most of you here did warn me I just couldn't get over how nice it was in and out and the fact it drives just like my wrx but oh we'll what can u do it's still to early this might be my only issue I have

Sorry to hear about your experience so far, but you can't but laugh reading the last bout of Audi love posts in this thread to end with your post about instant issues.

I do agree with you, how on earth did something like that pass QC. To me that's not a type of issue I would expect to see in a few days of ownership. I don't think anyone can say you didn't take care or maintain the car properly. Hopefully that's the last you see though.

Please do keep us updated on your ownership. I personally love the newer Audi's and the cars they are coming out with, B7 S4 Avant is one of my favorite cars. If they made a B8 I would have one right now. I'm looking at the A7/S7's right now, but like you I'm worried about pulling the trigger on an Audi, warranty or not it's a pain in the ass to have your car sitting in the shop all the time.

DeleriousZ
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
If you do your own work, they're not too bad.

I owned a b5 s4, which is prettymuch the most difficult car to work on in terms of engine bay size and packaging I've ever owned. I did a full timing belt job on it, and although it was involved, none of it was really 'difficult'.

As everyone else has said, keep the maintenance up to date, and DON'T GET LAZY about it. It's easy to say 'oh it's running fine, it'll be good for another couple ten-thousand k's.' That's when you get blindsided by a massive repair bill for something that would have been easy to fix.

Seeing as you've already purchased your car this isn't really directed at you OP, just generally typing because my fingers needed a workout :P.

I too am interested in the b7s4/a4, I Loooooove the way they look, and how they hold road presence vs other similar cars. Something about those (good) LED headlights makes them completely unique. I've been tossing around the idea of a b6s4, just for some of that wonderful german v8 symphony, but it's not in the budget for now.

Kramerica
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Audis seem to have poor quality control for whatever reason. Me and my dad went to the auto show last year and there was an A5 where something didn't line up quite right between the headlights the hood and the fender. Initial issues aside, just don't bag it and like everyone else said keep on top of maintenance and it should be fine.

heavyD
01-09-2013, 08:05 AM

It probabaly worked at the factory but likely was something that happened after they reconnected the battery after freight. I have seen a lot of strange things happen to german cars when reconnecting the battery especially with BMW's.

msommers
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
^^If that's the case, I'm surprised the dealership didn't do a final once-over before the new owners drove it away.

98type_r
01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by msommers
^^If that's the case, I'm surprised the dealership didn't do a final once-over before the new owners drove it away.

I would expect exactly nothing less when they charge for freight/PDI. Sounds like they skipped the PDI portion of it.

thetransporter
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
junk - im talking 80s- early 2000s

I would rather drive a ford and im a JDM guy.

DeleriousZ
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

But how could you not want something that sounds like this (when it runs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yV8R3m4vu8

R-Audi
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

Yeah, I absolutely hate my 12 second 4 door luxury sedan.

Total junk.

gqboy322
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
i had my audi for over a year now, bought new of the lot so far i dont have any issues about anytime. love the feels of the supercharged engine on a SUV

thetransporter
01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Yeah, I absolutely hate my 12 second 4 door luxury sedan.

Total junk.

not speaking about every audi - im sure you have a nice one.

Just thats how it turned out to be.

The news ones are much better.