PDA

View Full Version : Fix Garage Door :(

2BLUE
12-27-2012, 04:42 PM
My garage door guide cables on both sides fell off causing the door to slam. No damage to the door but the springs are lose etc and looking for someone to come out and fix it.

Let me know cost etc on re-hooking it up. Thx!

drtoohotty1
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM
PM andyL beyonds garage door god

Masked Bandit
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
+1 for AndyL.

Why is this in the career section?

drtoohotty1
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
2Blue banned himself, correct sections would be setting the bar a little high

TomcoPDR
12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
+1 for AndyL.

Why is this in the career section?

+1 on AndyL

+2, why in career section??? More like Home and Garden, that's just IMHO

2BLUE
12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Home and garden didn't even load on my phone :dunno:

BokCh0y
12-27-2012, 06:52 PM
AndyL fixed both my cables, great guy and great work. Highly recommend.

Davetronz
12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
+1 on AndyL as well.
I haven't had a single issue with my door this winter since he fixed it. :thumbsup:

jaylo
12-28-2012, 04:36 PM
In case andyL is not around...

I was able to DIY this a long time ago using 3/8" and 3 feet long tubular mild steel that would slide into the socket, and carefully wind it back (wear goggles/face shield/helmet just in case)

Requires some brute force/strength but from what I remember is the amount of revolution is equal to the height of the door

for example, 7' door requires the springs to be winded 7 times. This one is for the old heavy wooden garage door. I would probably wind 1x less for the new lightweight doors.

AndyL
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Wow... Yeah don't use that info...

If you've got 4" drums, then yes it's 1 turn per foot but not all drums are 4" and no you don't use less turns on a steel door than you would on a wood door... the cables still need to have tension through the full range of travel. Weight is adjusted by spring length and spring wire diameter, not by amount of turns (though it's often used by fine tuning).

I'm having to take a day or two off, after finding a snowed over post hole the hard way... Friggin knees, erm frigging post holes...

jaylo
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
My bad, it is almost 10 years since I have done this, which was instructed by Creative Door Services when I ordered new springs from them

2BLUE
12-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I did message Andy .

Where can I buy these garage springs?

Anyone know where I can buy generic rubber molding ...my concrete floor isn't perfectly even.

jaylo
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I did message Andy .

Anyone know where I can buy generic rubber molding ...my concrete floor isn't perfectly even.

Are your springs broken?

You can take them to Creative Door Services and they can wound up a new one for you. From what I remember they were $125 for the pair.

Installation can be a DIY and save yourself some $$$

BokCh0y
12-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I did message Andy .

rubber moulding - can buy at home depot, rona.

springs....seriously, just talk to AndyL.

AndyL replaced the cables on both sides on my garage door and wound up the springs to the right tension, then also adjusted the door height so it closes properly without smashing the garage floor or not closing enough. He also took a look at the springs and let me know if I need new ones or not. Great guy and very knowledgeable about this stuff. Just talk to him!!!!

AndyL
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
As mentioned, am in town working today...

general door and creative door stock bulk springs, so generally can provide whatever size springs you need. Ultralite also does, but I've heard they charge walk-ins heavily. Totems about the only non door retailer who stock torsion springs, I think they have 4 sizes and a few extension springs.

Bottom rubber depends on door, and how badly its heaved... often I recommend stuffing plastic shopping bags inside the bottom rubber - it adds some bulk that usually does the trick... rare occasions you need bigger - its better to use something called storm shield, retails for about 10$/ft. Its a Rubber seal you glue down to the floor...

hedge
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Another glowing review for AndyL. I remembered seeing the positive remarks here so when my work colleague needed a repair I pm'd Andy to see if he had time to do it.

He responded the same day and helped him get the car out that day and was able to come back a couple days later to replace the parts to fix it.

My work friend is very happy with the work and was very glad to find someone instead of choosing some random name from the phone book.

Thanks AndyL

Khyron
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Keep meaning to post my little door bug - 1/10 times my remotes won't work. Sometimes if I wait 10 seconds it then does, a few times I've had to run inside and use the wall button (and hop over the laser). Homelink in 2 cars, a wireless keypad outside and one of the original clickers that came with the opener - all have had the same issue at one point or another. Thought it was temp related but nope, seems random. Craftsman 1hp, 7+ years old.

AndyL
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
That's a tough one, intermittent RF issue's are almost impossible to nail down.

Easiest solutions, there should be a wire hanging off the opener, its often tucked into a cover... straighten and let it hang (its the antenna) remove any/all compact fluorescent bulbs from the garage (opener should never have one). Switch back to the regular remotes, homelinks are a lower transmitting power unit...

After that it gets ugly, I do have a stupid expensive spectrum analyzer for these scenarios, but its one of those things, due to purchase and calibration costs, its not cheap to get me to pull it out... and it rarely pinpoints the source... although it did find a low quality ionizing furnace filter that was interfering with one unit....

Khyron
01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Hrm thanks for the quick reply - the unit might actually have a CFL bulb (or LED) I will check when I get home and remove it to test. Antena is hanging down that was first thing I checked.

And it's never failed when coming home, only when leaving (which makes sense if it's the light inside!)

jaylo
01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I was reading that certain electronics in your vehicle or in the garage can screw up with the RF Transmission.

Ever since I installed a BlackVue dashcam, smart battery charger on my other car, and a wireless IP camera I can only open the garage 10ft away and sometimes it takes a couple of tries with the original remote.

Good tip on the CFL though, I never knew that that could cause an issue

03ozwhip
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
my door is pissing me off now. more than half the time, the door will start to close and then just open. it will close with a little guided help from the start. it doesnt happen all the time, but quite a bit.

i think i narrowed it down to the track or a wheel on the track on the one side that i think just gets stuck or something. i know, very vague, but any advice?

rojhero
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Perhaps it's the travel force? You may need to increase it slightly. When I was re-adjusting our garage door, I set it too low and it was causing the same symptoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GebkW96Sd_c

I also bought some lithium grease and sprayed the areas indicated in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1lUm7koF2A

If those small adjustments don't work, then your track may be mis-aligned or your door bent.

AndyL
01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Dial 403 402 2029 ;)

Could be any number of things, its a royal pain to guess.

AndyL
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/Snapbucket/76130CB4-orig.jpg

:drool:

OMFG these doors are pretty :) (If ya gotta ask... ~10k not including stain/clear)

Masked Bandit
01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
^^^^^^^^

Ya know the guy's a career pro when he's salivating over garage doors.

:D

legendboy
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Dial 403 402 2029 ;)

Could be any number of things, its a royal pain to guess.

i just left u a message, need door help as well

AndyL
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
^^^^^^^^

Ya know the guy's a career pro when he's salivating over garage doors.

or I spend too much time staring at the same white steel colonial pattern door day in and out ;)

Makes you appreciate the odd door that isn't ;) even if it took almost 2 days to install and months of chiropractic care to follow... :rofl:

prosh
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey Andy,

Do you replace the physical garage doors as well as the openers? Can you PM me your details please. A buddy of mine is looking at getting his replaced and looking for quotes. 16x7 insulated is what he was looking for.

Thanks,

thorin33
01-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Huge props to Andy. I just happened to be reading this thread a few days before the spring broke on my garage door. Andy was awesome in taking care of it and was super responsive. Definitely would recommend Andy for any overhead door work.

legendboy
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I would also recommend Andy. He came to my house and got mine fixed up in less then an hour :thumbsup:

Khyron
01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Hrm thanks for the quick reply - the unit might actually have a CFL bulb (or LED) I will check when I get home and remove it to test. Antena is hanging down that was first thing I checked.

And it's never failed when coming home, only when leaving (which makes sense if it's the light inside!)

So my issue did happen to be the LED bulb - soon as I removed it not one problem since. So you can note that some brands of LED are just as bad as CFL for interference. Thx for the tip Andy!

EK 2.0
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
+1 for AndyL came out got my new opener installed and door adjusted and all that door stuff that goes with it in great time, and was super professional...plus a great price...:thumbsup:

Unknown303
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM

So my issue did happen to be the LED bulb - soon as I removed it not one problem since. So you can note that some brands of LED are just as bad as CFL for interference. Thx for the tip Andy!

What brand of LED bulb were you using?

AndyL
02-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Pretty much all of them, they either have a ballast or a transformer... Which isn't usually a problem - when they're 5-6' away from receivers... But at 6" range, they're problematic...

Other issue is most openers weren't designed with low wattage bulbs in mind, some wont light em, some blow logic boards, some start fires... Some have no issue...

It's really ill advised to run them in door openers...

AndyL
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Can't remember who, but someone on beyond asked me about Bluetooth control

http://lifehacker.com/5812718/control-your-garage-door-with-your-smartphone

kinda a roundabout hack, uses the earpeice pairing beep to activate the door, but it works ;)

on eBay there's a USB Bluetooth relay (about 60$ and another 75ish for the (xbee/wifi/bluetooth) module) that'd be a little better, still comes in cheaper than the "real" Bluetooth door control module (around 200$). And has a simple open source iOS/android app

AndyL
03-29-2013, 04:32 PM

Ok, not on the interference side, but rather on the dangers of CFL's in your opener...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/doors/burntlogic_zpsaf447349.jpg

This is actually my brother's opener... Came -><- THIS close to burning his house down... Connector to the lights melted down - circuit board caught fire, plastic case - was on the verge of going up - by the melting/bubbling that I saw... His opener is mounted less than 2" from some lovely spruce 2x4 shelving...

Can I be any clearer in suggesting if you have CFLs in your opener - remove them.

voodoo
04-03-2013, 07:14 AM
just had Andy fix my garage door lastnight. awesome service on such short notice.... thanks again Andy.

twodoor
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Another huge +1 for AndyL. He stopped by for measurements on Sunday, and managed to obtain my non-standard door springs and be back for the replacement Monday afternoon. Thank you to Andy for his wonderful service, and to Beyond for pointing me in the right direction!

AndyL
04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I know there's a couple beyonders who were hunting for a deal...

http://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-openers/chamberlain-50-hpchain-garage-door-opener_g1359802.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName

119$ this weekend at lowes and home depot.

03ozwhip
04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
pm'd Andy earlier today because im sick of my door half working and he came out to strathmore later on after i was done work. i figured his day was over and i was a nuisance, but he had no reservations coming out.

glad i got him out, i wouldnt have guessed the multitude of problems i had with my door. great guy and great service, i hope to see him again but without a garage door problem!

A+++ to Andy!

Bombicula
04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Andy just finished a panic spring repair at the house 8:00 PM. Price was 1/3 of what the other guys quoted. He was friendly and in and out in an hour. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Thanks AndyL
www.andyl.ca

4doorj
04-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Message sent!:thumbsup:

4doorj
04-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Awesome service!!!!
My dad also met him since I had to work when he came back with parts and had nothing but good things to say about AndyL.

Definitely recommend him. No point in shopping around for any other garage door repair man.

AndyL
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Well sh*t, done gone and did something cool and forgot to share...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/doors/DSCF7080_zpsec620287.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/cgyreefer/media/doors/DSCF7080_zpsec620287.jpg.html)

More pics (http://www.andyl.ca/portfolio/lift-clearance-highlift-conversion/)

That's a 3800 install - where there was inadequate sideroom for the typical layout. Digging a hole in the wall, was probably not going to make enough room.

So how do you fit an opener?

Pulled out an old school commercial technique, and mounted it as a center mount opener. Not the ideal scenario - leaves the door running a bit rougher than I'd like (customer was worried about this, but my running rough was better than the original install)

Gary@UrbanX
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would give a huge thank you to AndyL. He came late Saturday night to access the issue (garage torsion spring) and came back on Monday as promised and replaced both springs in less than an hour. Excellent pricing compared to other quotes and outstanding service. Will definitely recommend him to all my friends and family.

Thanks again AndyL!

Bowen
06-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Have to agree with Gary and others about AndyL...

Had him out to fix springs today ...excellent service, price, professional and on time !!

Definitely will be added to my "know a guy" list for recommendations.

Thanks AndyL

AndyL
07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I'll just leave these here ;)

Northwest door 10C - it's neat, almost carriage style, but same $ as the usual colonial/ranch

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/photobucket-59074-1374008865808_zps16273f5a.jpg

And some beyonder with a sweet lil beemer thought this would be awesome
]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/photobucket-40562-1374017185558_zpse3d79dfc.jpg

He may have been right... :D

alien
07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks to Andy for new door installation. Showed up late friday and got our door closed for the weekend and installed a shiny new door yesterday. Great price and solid work. :thumbsup:

AndyL
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Alien's was probably very realtor approved :) (not that I think he's selling, but it sure made drastic change in the appearance of the house)
Friday:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/photobucket-2657-1374701431801_zps684e9bd9.jpg
Tuesday:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/photobucket-19627-1374701431295_zps4ec8444b.jpg

Thanks again!