PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wall mounted their flat screens on brick?

JDMMAN
12-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone has put a TV/wall mount on brick. Any tips? I was thinking of drilling through mortar and then using an anchor before bolting on the TV mount.

Looking to be able to support about 80lbs of weight.

12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I have done a 60" Sony mounted above a brick fireplace - im sure its more than 80lbs to..

I used Tapcon concrete / masonry screws.. worked well, still up there 2 years later

JDMMAN
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Did you use a hammerdrill or an impact driver?

B20EF
12-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I just googled this too. Was reading one audio forum where a guy recommended drilling into brick not mortar. Said mortar can become weak and disintigrate. Said brick is made in controlled environment with standards for strength. Makes some sense. Everyone on the forums did say use tapcon bolts also.

The wall mount I just bought weighs more than the tv, so I'm hoping whichever route I go if it holds the mount the extra 20lbs for the tv will be ok too.

Maxt
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.confast.com/products/concrete-sleeve-anchor.aspx

sr20s14zenki
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Yep those work fine, but be very careful drilling into brick, they like to crack from the pressure of the hammer drill. I use these anchoring systems all the time in my line of work. Heres another style you can use if you wish.

http://www.confast.com/images/purchase/double-expansion-anchor.gif

its called an expansion shield

sxtasy
12-27-2012, 09:39 PM
First you have to figure out what type of brick you have. If you have brick veneer, which is quite common these days, it is only about half an inch thick and will not hold much at all. In this case you will want to anchor to studs behind the wall.

If you have "real" brick you have about 3" depth of brick which is more suitable for a tapcon or wedge anchor fastener.

bart
12-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

can you buy these local?

Maxt
12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by bart

can you buy these local?
The Bolt Supply House.

12-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I used a hammer drill to predrill into the brick, do your best to go center mass on the brick to line up with the holes on the mount, predrill, then run through as many tapcon's into as many different bricks center mass as possible.

I used about 8 tapcons, 6 of them are center mass on seperate bricks, the other 2 just for added secrurity. holds the TV just fine.

and a 60" sony LCD is not a light TV....

JDMMAN
12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
So is it better to drill and tap in the mortar or the brick and risk the brick cracking? :dunno:

My house is built in the late 70's, the brick is part of an integrated fireplace/chimney that is actually exposed to the outside. Since its a structurally integral part of the house, I would have to say its real brick.

thanks for all the tips/hints.

sxtasy
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
A house built in the 70's, sounds like it is most definitely full thickness brick. If you are worried about cracking the brick, use the tapcons as the fasteners Maxt posted anchor by means of expansion.

What 410440 is suggesting is bang on, anchor into the centre of as many bricks as possible.

B20EF
12-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

I ended up using these. Bought them at Home Depot. I used 4 - 5/16" bolts so technically they can hold more than 4000lbs according to the site. I drilled into brick not grout line. Even with the specs I dont trust the brick so after I installed the mount I hung from it to be sure. Thats 160lbs of weight, it didnt budge in the slightest.

BTW my house is old so its real brick, not veneer.

JDMMAN
01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
B20EF - did you use a hammerdrill?

B20EF
01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
^^^Yes but quickly realized it isnt neccesary. With any masonary bit you can drill through brick like butter. I originally was going to use tapcon's so drilled 3/16" with the hammerdrill. Then increased the hole sizes with a normal drill. It truly takes seconds to drill each hole.