PDA

View Full Version : How to play PC content on a TV....

C_Dave45
12-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Not for me. A friend, who has VERY little money, and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way for them to play movies that are on the PC, through the TV.

They have an older Shaw HD box (dct6416), and a laptop computer (no HD or Video out) and a regular TV.

The box has a USB socket, but AFAIK, it doesn't do anything. The only way I can think of is a media player box (boxee, WDTV Live, etc) but even that is a stretch for them. Any cheaper ideas?

eblend
12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
really won't find anything cheaper. They have some noname boxes for cheaper but no idea about format support ect.

If its a laptop, it has to have VGA out, I don't know of any laptop that doesn't at a minimum have that. I assume his TV has a VGA input if its been made in the last 10 years or so. VGA out to VGA in and you got yourself a connection. VGA can output pretty high res so quality should not be an issue.

ExtraSlow
12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
VGA to VGA is the cheapest. After that, used WDTV and a USB stick will make it happen.

black13
12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
The tv's gotta have HDMI or component (red/green/blue) input so you can use the laptop.

There are VGA (computer pin socket) to HDMI cable that you can use. I have one that I used to use.

eblend
12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by black13
The tv's gotta have HDMI or component (red/green/blue) input so you can use the laptop.

There are VGA (computer pin socket) to HDMI cable that you can use. I have one that I used to use.

I have seen those cables but unless u have a specific set, this will not work. VGA is analogue signal, HDMI is digital, so its not just a different socket, its a whole different ball game. You would need a converter box to make this happen.

C_Dave45
12-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check if the tv has VGA-in, and try that route. Otherwise, I think it's best to save up for a WD TV box.

AndyL
12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Better yet, dx.com has a whole category for android hd players... 50$ will get you one... Then just add hdmi to rca or coax adapter while your shopping there... And you've got'er done...

Wifi enabled PC on your tv... Did that for one of the old folks around here so she could "the facebook" her grandkids...

jwslam
12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
http://dx.com/p/compact-palm-size-avi-mp3-media-player-with-sd-usb-host-ypbpr-av-59042

+8gb of some storage media

i have a similar one. uses RCA (red/yellow/white). I still use it on an ancient tube 47" rear projection.

eblend
12-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
http://dx.com/p/compact-palm-size-avi-mp3-media-player-with-sd-usb-host-ypbpr-av-59042

+8gb of some storage media

i have a similar one. uses RCA (red/yellow/white). I still use it on an ancient tube 47" rear projection.

Doesn't do MKV...most people nowadays pull HD stuff down so no MKV is kind of useless.

Also, WDTVlive can be had for like $90 bucks and can stream off the network, which is a ton more conveninent than trying to copy to USB all the time.