PDA

View Full Version : Oats

woodywoodford
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm trying to put together a meal plan (see other thread) and one of my favorite breakfasts in college was a smoothie with 1 cup milk, 1 cup plain yogurt, half cup strawberries and half cup oats. I was just looking at the nutritional info on oats and holy balls, 600 calories per cup? I understand its still very healthy, but I'm trying to create a calory deficit here. Should I just rule this smoothie out of my diet, or is there something about oats that will still help me shed some belly fat?

Jonel
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
That seems a little high. What type of oats are you using? Sweetened or unsweetened? Salted or unsalted? Look into Steel Cut Oats, should be around 250-350 calories per cup with only a few grams of fat.

woodywoodford
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I have no idea, I just googled oats calories and assumed they were the generic kind. I'm using the plain, bulk oats from safeway - pretty sure they come straight from the harvester lol. Is that steel cut?

Redlined_8000
12-28-2012, 01:15 PM
That might be uncooked... 1/2cup of quick oats is usually only 30g carbs with is like 90cals or so.

elite
12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I have the whole grain oats from costco. 130 calories per 1/3 cup, 30 g carbs with 4 from fibre, 3g fat, and 6g protein.

Here's a link for safeway oats nutri data that I found:

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/recipes/safeway_bulk_oatmeal

ExtraSlow
12-28-2012, 03:07 PM
You need to look deeper into oats. In decreasing order of amunt they've been precessed:
Steel Cut oats
"old fashioned," "slow" or "large flake" oats,
"quick oats.
Instant oatmeal.

Also, don't confuse granola with oats, granola almost always has a sweetener added.

My breakfast is a 50/50 mix of steel cut and large flake oats, with just enough yogurt to make a paste. Stop drinking smoothies, use a goddamn spoon.

rob the knob
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
instant oats or roller oat?

only eat cut oat!

do you speak of 1 cup UNCOOKED oats, or 1 cup COOKED oats.

when you cook, oat increases in size. maybe double. ONE cup RAW = TWO cup COOK.

Originally posted by woodywoodford
I'm trying to put together a meal plan (see other thread) and one of my favorite breakfasts in college was a smoothie with 1 cup milk, 1 cup plain yogurt, half cup strawberries and half cup oats. I was just looking at the nutritional info on oats and holy balls, 600 calories per cup? I understand its still very healthy, but I'm trying to create a calory deficit here. Should I just rule this smoothie out of my diet, or is there something about oats that will still help me shed some belly fat?