PDA

View Full Version : Co-op gas/diesel mix up - check to see if your vehicle was affected!!

Squishy
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Just giving everyone a heads up, had some vehicles coming in to our dealership because the Co-op gas station on McLeod and Heritage had their regular fuel filled with diesel (fuel company's fault). There were 480 cars or so affected by this. To my understanding it was few days ago, so probably the 26th and co-op has been calling their customers to inform them about the mishap.

All I gotta say is.... expensive screw up $$$$

rob the knob
12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
holly

urrforce
12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
so if co-op tells the customer it is their mistake do they cover any repair costs for the customer im just curious:dunno:

speedog
12-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
holly Holly?

Your wording choice is interesting to say the least but it is in time with the season...

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/626/cache/why-holly-leaves-prickly-berries_62627_600x450.jpg

DEATH2000
12-29-2012, 11:55 AM
How could Co-Op call their customers and tell them? Im not a Co-Op member but have fueled their before so how do they get peoples numbers?

Squishy
12-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Someone in an edge managed to drive to lethbridge and back and she said she wouldn't have known the difference because it was fine?!
Other people said it wouldn't start or run well and was throwing codes (given)

Yep co-op is paying for everything. Tows, rentals and all repairs.

My guess would be license plate numbers on camera.

Tik-Tok
12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Squishy

My guess would be license plate numbers on camera.

They wouldn't have access to phone numbers from your plate. More likely they're going by Co-Op membership numbers.

Dilmah
12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
holly

What does holly have to do with this?:dunno:

J-D
12-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Nobody noticed the smell while filling up? I imagine it ended up being some sort of mix of the two, but you think it'd be fairly obvious.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I dont even stand near the nozzle when I'm filling in the winter. I set it and wash windows or jump in the car.

I'd be pretty pissed at this but they are owning up to it and making a good effort. Shit happens.

Rat Fink
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM

lilmira
12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Yikes! Somebody is gonna geta hurt real bad!

bituerbo
12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Aya Carumba!

heavyfuel
12-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Squishy
Someone in an edge managed to drive to lethbridge and back and she said she wouldn't have known the difference because it was fine?!
Other people said it wouldn't start or run well and was throwing codes (given)

Diesel in a gas engine = Won't run right but you still got a bit of a chance.

Gas in a diesel engine= 100% fucked. Period.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
We got a 2001 Yukon towed in for this over the weekend, looking like a $500-1000 bill so far.

btimbit
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Wonder if any vehicles would get written off from this

AE92_TreunoSC
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Wonder if any vehicles would get written off from this

Never, its a really easy fix.

Drain the tank by removing it or using the fuel pump. Pour in a new tank of gas.

Perform oil change from possible flooding.

Done. I've done it about 3 or 4 times.

Diesels with gas in the tank is a huge pain in the ass but still not end of the world.

btimbit
12-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Didn't know that was all that's involved. Even the injectors?

AE92_TreunoSC
12-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Diesel is fine to run through the injectors, it just wont combust. It's a cleaner just like gasoline. There are far worse things to run through an engine haha.

Most cars start right up after the diesel is removed, sometimes you need to clear flood off the spark plugs and always change oil but its pretty straight forward.

The reverse scenario involves a lot of line cleaning and air bleeding, especially on older diesel engines.

SOAB
12-31-2012, 06:25 PM
in order to continue your warranty on a new VW TDI, the bill is just a tad over $10k if you were to ever put gas in your diesel.

Rat Fink
12-31-2012, 06:56 PM

HO2S
12-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

MAJOR no-no. For example, you run a new 6.7L Ford diesel on gasoline, or fill the fuel tank with DEF and you're looking at over 10K in parts and I think its around 20 hours labor. The HP pumps eat themselves off that shit and fill the entire HP fuel system with metal (lines and injectors). I've seen this on 4 trucks so far with one guy refusing to fix it properly to keep his warranty - insisted on flushing the tank and filling with new diesel and he was able to drive it a few hours before it grenaded. I think a dealer in Calgary got that one brought to them on a hook. The guy insisted he filled the truck with nothing but the best.....Premium diesel!! (he stormed in with his receipt that clearly said premium gasoline. LOL oooooops). We knew it was gasoline in there as soon as it instantly dissolved the styrofoam cup we took the sample with.

Modern diesels have too tight of tolerances in injectors and injection pumps. They rely on the lubricity of the diesel fuel for lubrication. Gasoline has nowhere near the lubricating qualities of diesel and therefore critical parts show wear almost instantly. DEF in diesel with crystallize and chew everything to shit and is next to impossible to flush from lines - requires replacement of basically everything.

You pull the injector out and the tip is blue, that's when you say "sucks to be this guy".

Diesel is a gas engine is no big deal at all. Ive even had sugar in a tank and all that it is, is a good flush, fuel pump, regulator, and a set of injectors. 2 grand is much better than 10 grand.

Ask shell about how much is costs when make crappy gas, or have a oops.

rage2
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
How could Co-Op call their customers and tell them? Im not a Co-Op member but have fueled their before so how do they get peoples numbers?
Only members were notified, so only 476 co-op members. If you weren't a member, you weren't notified since they have no way to find your contact info.

max_boost
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
This rage2 guy is always on TV.

drtoohotty1
01-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Beyond baller using a 30 year old keyboard :rofl:

VWEvo
01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Rage, your becoming a regular on the Tube

rage2
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I fucking love my dirty keyboard. I have 2 more spares for when this one fails. So far, this one's lasted 14 years, so I don't need to replace it yet haha.

It's hilarious that he shot the keyboard close up. You see a bottle opener and a guitar pick sitting there. Good times! LOL

Modelexis
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Hundreds+forced+park+vehicles+after+diesel+mixup/7767560/story.html

The mistake is likely to cost the company tens of thousands in repair bills.
About 500 vehicles had fuelled up at the gas bar by then.
“On an average repair for a diesel fillup a I would say it would be about $1,000.

My math skills are fricken terrible but something in that first statement doesn't add up.

HO2S
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Hundreds+forced+park+vehicles+after+diesel+mixup/7767560/story.html

My math skills are fricken terrible but something in that first statement doesn't add up. Not every car is the same, and the same part for different vehicles will cost different. A fuel pump could be $200 or $2000.
One car might just need a good flush. And one could need a pump, fpr, injectors, and a cat.

Modelexis
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by HO2S
Not every car is the same, and the same part for different vehicles will cost different. A fuel pump could be $200 or $2000.
One car might just need a good flush. And one could need a pump, fpr, injectors, and a cat.

I understand all that, all I was alluding to was that the word average has a certain meaning in the english language.
Of course there would be highs and lows when talking about an average, but when we factor in rental cars and an average of $1000 per car it seems to me that we're talking about a much higher total than 'tens of thousands'.

Maybe I'm missing something.

FullFledgedYYC
01-03-2013, 08:01 AM
I like how Shelton basically had nothing to contribute to the story, but they used him anyway.

Oh well, more exposure for his site. Smart.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Just had another one brought in, 2006 Equinox this time.

rage2
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
I like how Shelton basically had nothing to contribute to the story, but they used him anyway.

Oh well, more exposure for his site. Smart.
This thread was the first public info on the issue. Someone from CBC and Global found it, and contacted us. We talked a bunch about the website, Squishy, Twin_Cam_Turbo, but all of that was edited out.

And ya, they used a completely random clip of me talking about how it's happened to me twice. I guess it makes sense for the story.

Pretty funny how they called our members bloggers, and our posts tweets. :rofl:

AndyL
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Dumb question... but wouldn't the bigger concern be the o2 sensors and catalytic? Yeah you can flush the diesel out of the fuel system, but it doesn't take much to f* up a catalytic these days...

HO2S
01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Dumb question... but wouldn't the bigger concern be the o2 sensors and catalytic? Yeah you can flush the diesel out of the fuel system, but it doesn't take much to f* up a catalytic these days...
Yup, AF and o2 sensors don't like to be hit with raw fuel.
The shitty thing is the cat damage will show up a month or two down the road. And after a month or so co-op wont cover it.

FullFledgedYYC
01-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2

This thread was the first public info on the issue. Someone from CBC and Global found it, and contacted us. We talked a bunch about the website, Squishy, Twin_Cam_Turbo, but all of that was edited out.

And ya, they used a completely random clip of me talking about how it's happened to me twice. I guess it makes sense for the story.

That boborvitz or however you spell it isn't the brightest... I remember he used to come to the gym I was training at and ask for steroids. It was hilarious.

mikestypes
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
One thing that should be pointed out, is that the diesel was added to a large regular gasoline tank. It is likely that the tank already had a significant amount of gasoline in it which would have diluted the diesel. This is not a case of pure diesel being put in an empty car and that is likely why most owners didn't notice. Has anyone asked what the volumes mixed were?

Xtrema
01-03-2013, 01:46 PM

That boborvitz or however you spell it isn't the brightest... I remember he used to come to the gym I was training at and ask for steroids. It was hilarious.

It's call investigative reporting. :rofl:

DeleriousZ
01-03-2013, 01:50 PM

was probably digging for an edgy raw story on the underground of steroid use in calgary :rofl: :rofl:

FullFledgedYYC
01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Haha, possibly. The guy he would talk to was pretty much the poster boy for steroids.

Squishy
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
What were you saying about us?:love:

For some reason I feel like I heard it was a 20/80 mix, diesel being more

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I see the story is on Autoblog.ca now...

FullFledgedYYC
01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
The spokesperson for Coop said the mixture was unknown.... so we shall never know.

Kramerica
01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
The spokesperson for Coop said the mixture was unknown.... so we shall never know.

They never do fuel samples on what's in the tank? :dunno:

01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
The carrier that transports the fuel for co-op will most likely be on the hook for the damages.. since Co-op is being so preventative on calling customers and making it public knowledge I assume they are just going to be billing any and all claims back to the transport company.

Mixes happen at service stations.. BUT a responsible driver will realize he is pumping from the wrong compartment in the trailer into the underground tanks, stop the flow, and take the responsive measures to correct the incident most of the time - or realize by doing the tank dips to check levels on his trailer and underground tanks, the numbers arent adding up.

my speculation is most likely this driver either didnt bother to do his dips and fudged the numbers for the sake of getting out of there quicker or was really just retarded.. although its pretty hard to miss a fuck up like this for almost a day or so of filling up customer cars with crappy mixed product..

thetransporter
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rage2

lol "beyond-ca"

thetransporter
01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Can anyone tell us how the claim process is going?

Squishy
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Simple. Vehicle comes in, customer gets rental if necessary and we bill co-op for repairs and any other charges that may have been applied to the bill such as tow. Chris, the ops manager was helpful when I called last Saturday to get all the info. They have an account set up with enterprise for rentals too, so that's direct billing to co-op.

98type_r
01-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by 410440
The carrier that transports the fuel for co-op will most likely be on the hook for the damages.. since Co-op is being so preventative on calling customers and making it public knowledge I assume they are just going to be billing any and all claims back to the transport company.

Mixes happen at service stations.. BUT a responsible driver will realize he is pumping from the wrong compartment in the trailer into the underground tanks, stop the flow, and take the responsive measures to correct the incident most of the time - or realize by doing the tank dips to check levels on his trailer and underground tanks, the numbers arent adding up.

my speculation is most likely this driver either didnt bother to do his dips and fudged the numbers for the sake of getting out of there quicker or was really just retarded.. although its pretty hard to miss a fuck up like this for almost a day or so of filling up customer cars with crappy mixed product..

Very likely scenario, I don't even think they offer diesel at that location yet. IIRC they are in the process of upgrading last I heard but it wasn't done.

Maybelater
01-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by mikestypes
One thing that should be pointed out, is that the diesel was added to a large regular gasoline tank. It is likely that the tank already had a significant amount of gasoline in it which would have diluted the diesel. This is not a case of pure diesel being put in an empty car and that is likely why most owners didn't notice. Has anyone asked what the volumes mixed were?

That makes sense, I was pretty curious how so many people managed to fill up without noticing.