PDA

View Full Version : Garage Heat

BMS
12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I saw some old threads but they are a few years old so wanted an updated reply. I have a 28x20 garage and am wondering what the average heat cost might be with a forced air furnace. The garage is 549 SQ FT if that helps any. The furnace would run on natural gas.

Also what is a good place to get a used/cheaper furnace? Not many on Kijiji right now.

Thanks!

Darell_n
12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Heating cost would depend on what temperature you keep it at and how well it's insulated. I keep mine at 4*C unoccupied and 17*C occupied (toggle switch) and it maybe adds $15/month for my 28x28 shop. Many of the wholesalers have scratch and dent deals for unit heaters. Check the websites for Refrigerative Supply, Independent Supply, Carrier / WWG. Personally I would buy new, but I'm a contractor and don't pay wholesale price.

BMS
12-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks. I will likely keep it around the same temp. The garage is brand new and is fully insulated and dry-walled.

codetrap
12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

BMS
12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Even if vented properly? I've never heard that before.

project240
12-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
woodworking

Agreed. Go Radiant Heat if this applies.

BMS
12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Does running the chopsaw every so often count as woodworking? From what I've read radiant heat doesn't work as well as forced air.

project240
12-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by BMS
Does running the chopsaw every so often count as woodworking? From what I've read radiant heat doesn't work as well as forced air.

Using a mitre saw alone does not constitute woodworking. I prefer radiant heat because I always have sawdust covering my flooring and radiant heat doesn't stir it up. Also, I have several thousand pounds of cast iron ready and willing to absorb that heat.

Darell_n
12-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
If you plan on doing any woodworking in there, don't use a forced air furnace. You have a VERY high risk of explosion if there's wood dust in the air.

Gravity vent unit heaters are long gone. Everything is power vented now and can have it's own air supply from outside.

On a side note, high efficiency unit heaters are now common whereas high efficiency radiant heaters are impossible.

InRich
12-29-2012, 03:07 PM
get a Calcana

Darell_n
12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
don't get a Calcana

Phuqu
12-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Get a Reznor.

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Unless u have a plumbing, refrigeration or sheetmetal journeyman ticket no one will sell you a new furnace or gas fired heating appliance. Typical install including permit will cost you 2700- 4000 depending on the unit you want.

codetrap
12-30-2012, 08:36 AM

90_Shelby
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzybunnykiller
Unless u have a plumbing, refrigeration or sheetmetal journeyman ticket no one will sell you a new furnace or gas fired heating appliance. Typical install including permit will cost you 2700- 4000 depending on the unit you want.

Unless you buy it from Princess Auto.

In addition, if you do pick up a used furnace off of Kijiji you will have a very difficult time finding someone licensed who will pull a permit to install a used item. They only want to sell you new.

AndyL
12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzybunnykiller

You know the wrong hvac people :D I have a contact who happily install a used furnace

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
This I what I do for a living I don't know people i am one of them. Any reputable retailer of gas fired appliance will not sell to the non ticketed guy. Insurance will not cover a gas installed app by a untrained person. Just ask the guy who had his brother inlaw install the gas fireplace in his house on cougar ridge and the house burns down. Investigation finds improper installed vent of the fire place and the guy owns a lot with a burnt house and basement no house left no insurance.

Cos
12-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I will install a used furnace. There will be no warranty on the furnace just the install. And no guarantee that the heat exchanger is not cracked. See reburning products of combustion. I just want peaple to be aware of the risk. This is a buissnes to me but I still want others to be safe.

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Sorry about that I was chasing 2 kids and trying to clean dishes at the same time. I will be more than happy the come to your house and give free quotes and even advice.

Tinman installations 403-454-5597 leave a message please it is my house phone but company number.

Fuzzybunnykiller
12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
10% on the unit, hrs and material. Permit as well. I need to feed my family you know just like any other tribes person who provides a service. Mechanic on your car charges more than I do. My rate is 75$/hr Most are up from there. I am not out to steal from you just provide a service and product, feed my kids. I am an honest guy my wife regularly gets mad at me for not charging enough or doing work for free.