PDA

View Full Version : Idling FACTS from the C.A.A

haze4dayz
02-14-2004, 11:17 AM
the C.A.A is promoting not to over idle your vehicles.

the Facts that they are stating is...............

1. The Best way to warm up your vehicle is to drive it.

2. Excessive idling is not good for your engine.

3. Idling a vehicle for more than 10 seconds uses more fuel than restarting the engine.

and that 30 seconds is all you need......

What do you guys think???

:dunno:

1badPT
02-14-2004, 11:28 AM
#2 we can assume is the what they are promoting
#3 supports the position that once your car circulates its fluids throughout the engine, its ready to drive
#1 is only true if you believe #3

EstoMax
02-14-2004, 11:45 AM
yea isnt idling better than restarting ur engine each time u sit at a stop light? i mean consider the wear and tear on all the components like the starter and the battery when you have to recrank

max

Khyron
02-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Yah no shit - a few drops of gas is cheaper than my start/bat/alt. :)

One of the surveyers I know leaves his truck running for hours when out in the field.

Khyron

GTS Jeff
02-14-2004, 03:23 PM
maybe more than 10seconds. if its really cold out the car wont even idle right for the first 10 seconds

gwkwan
02-14-2004, 03:30 PM
hmm i usually idle my car for @ least 1 min
in the cold weather maybe a lito longer
i dont mind to waste lito more gas...
if it makes the engine runs @ a decent temp.
but why is it not good for the engine???

pulse_crx
02-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Personally, I would rather start my car, let it warm up for a bit, then get into a nice warm car, rather than freezing my ass off driving it around waiting for it to warm up.

Mike09
02-15-2004, 01:44 AM
Yea but with point #1 the motor will heat up faster if it's under light load than idling. And it won't hurt it as long as there is oil circulating and under "light load". Letting it idle for more than 1 minute after starting is just for Passenger comfort.
#3 I disagree with, Cause that's retarded to turn off your car and restart after more than 10 seconds of idling.