PDA

View Full Version : When to replace license plate?

speedog
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Just put the registration sticker on the license plate of one of our vehicles and noticed that there is now probably a third of the white reflective paint missing from our rear license plate. Now I've had this set of plates (yeah, both front and rear) since 1984 and am wondering how much paint can go missing before things become an issue or should I just ask for a month sticker the next time I renew my plates and put the old front plate on the rear (front plate has been hung up in the garage for many years now and is in better condition)? BTW, the current rear plate is still quite identifiable as an Alberta plate and the numbers/characters are still all red - only other issue that I've had is that I've had to scrape off some of the year stickers because they kind of built up over 30 years.

Deetz
12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
I started driving in 89. Every now and then when i go to re register a plate that looks aged, damaged/dented or anything, i simply ask at the time i go in. They give out a new one, no charge :)

bituerbo
12-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I think it's nostalgic to keep an 'old' plate, and to keep it as long as possible.
Also let's everyone know that I know what to do when faced with such obstacles as merge lanes, and roundabouts.

Nufy
12-30-2012, 10:48 AM
After i accumulate a sufficient number of Impark tickets...

Graham_A_M
12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
^ This, but the more deteriorated a plate is, the less chances of a photo radar/speed on green camera being able to properly snap a pic of it. So in that regard, keep on using the old one as long as you can. I've seen some badly worn plates still being used that are probably as old as yours. The cops dont seem to care.

So keep that in mind. I've been using the same plate for the last 14 years now myself.

Zero102
12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
What is it that causes plates to get all cracked and worn out looking? I've had some of my plates for 12 years now (and they have been on cars that whole time) and they all still look just like the day I got them.

fayzed
12-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I think it's nostalgic to keep an 'old' plate, and to keep it as long as possible.

I totally agree, I've had the same plate on all my cars for the last 20+ years, but this got me thinking is there a way to get a "new" plate with the same plate number as your existing? i.e. get a replacement with the same number?

mine is still in good shape but one day it'll need to be replaced and i'd love to keep the same number if possible.

ExtraSlow
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I was rear-ended a few years ago, I run that crumpled up plate on my wife brand new mini-van. I think it's funny to have a fucked up plate on a shiny new vehcile.

BokCh0y
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I've had the same plate now for 20 years, it's faded and I've had to scrape off a layer of "year" stickers already. But I have no intentions of swapping the plate out for a new one anytime soon. Just nostalgic i guess.

I don't think there's really a time to replace your plate unless it's damaged, or the red letters are no longer red.

I think the one member on here - Dannie would be able to answer you much better. As I recall, she has some experience with registries etc.

dj_rice
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Everytime I've changed vehicles, I've gotten a new plate. Its the superstitious part of me that if something bad happened with the last vehicle, I don't want the aura attaching onto the new vehicle so hence fresh plate.

But recently, I'm gonna keep my plates just cause its 6 digits long. I don't want those 7 digit long ones as I think its "newbie"

urrforce
12-30-2012, 11:17 PM
ive had the same plate on the family corolla that i took over for as long as i can remember it is one of the 6 digit ones.

i have a hard enough time remembering that plate sometimes that i cant even imagine getting a new 7 digit one now lol

ExtraSlow
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
7 digits is for noobs.

lilmira
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Can you reorder vanity plates?

Cos
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM

98type_r
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Question for those of you who have gotten new plates, can you take the old one that's been replaced and register it to a new vehicle you buy later on? Or is the old plate useless once it's been replaced?

Graham_A_M
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Can you reorder vanity plates?
Yes, you just have to prove the last one is registered to you, which is nothing really.

lilmira
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Question for those of you who have gotten new plates, can you take the old one that's been replaced and register it to a new vehicle you buy later on? Or is the old plate useless once it's been replaced?

Yes. You can use your old plate.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Yes, you just have to prove the last one is registered to you, which is nothing really.

Great, good to know.

M.alex
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
I started driving in 89. Every now and then when i go to re register a plate that looks aged, damaged/dented or anything, i simply ask at the time i go in. They give out a new one, no charge :)

From what I understand part of our registration fees go so you can get a new plate each year, free of charge. Such bullshit.

btimbit
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Do you know if you can reorder normal plates as well? I like mine and wouldn't want to get a newbie 7 digit when this one gets wrecked

Deetz
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

From what I understand part of our registration fees go so you can get a new plate each year, free of charge. Such bullshit.

I am sure you are right!! Registration is a rip off now, it used to be $40-45/yr when i 1st started driving.

I run personalized plates on a couple of my cars now, cost $200 each :eek:

afif
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
If a vanity plate is registered under my dads name can they switch it so the plate is under my name?

Cos
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Deetz
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Cos

AFAIK no. The plate is your dad's for life unless he turns it in. Then you have to wait for it to clear and then you can request it. Just hope you beat them to the punch.

Correct! This man knows what he's talking about :thumbsup: