PDA

View Full Version : 18th Birthday restaurant suggestion

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Our daughter has her 18th birthday coming up and we are going out for a family meal. Hoping to do something memorable here in Calgary. She is a bit of a fussy eater. Chicken and Beef are the best options. Any restaurant suggestions? Right now I have reservations at Calgary Tower 360.

Cos
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM

dj_rice
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Red Water Grille.

Rouge

Jacqueline Suzannes Bistro!!!!!

swak
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Ranchman's

speedog
12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Deane House Public Murder Mystery - link (http://www.fortcalgary.com/functions/murdermysteries/#show). Something different and memorable.

vengie
12-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Japanese village

dirtsniffer
12-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Pics?

Kobe
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by swak
Ranchman's

:rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Pics?

:rofl: :rofl:

Cowboys!

sexualbanana
12-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Boudoir Rouge?

TomcoPDR
12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Mother tuckers. Free steak

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Deane House Public Murder Mystery - link (http://www.fortcalgary.com/functions/murdermysteries/#show). Something different and memorable.

oooh I am going to look into this.

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Since her birthday is in Jan she will be the first of her friends to celebrate 18, a huge portion turn 18 in March. So it will be a family celebration until some of her close friends turn 18 and they can actually go drinking.

We did Ruth Chris last year for her birthday with a less than wow dinner.

She has so many texture issues that enjoying meals out is difficult. No fish, rice, pasta.. I don't know how she is mine some days. I am going to look into some of the menu's of the restaurants suggested. I know Charcut was on our list as well as Jacqueline's. I would have been happy at Vero having the seafood platter but it's not my birthday! lol.

I have already bought champagne for home.

lol.. Boudoir Rouge..

Cos
12-30-2012, 10:03 PM

msommers
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Rouge
Charcut
Muse
Mercato
Murrieta's
Catch
Notable

Sky 360 would be fun as a one-time thing because the view is fantastic and because of that is memorable - great for an 18th birthday where you actually remember the night! The food on the otherhand is average at best.

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I suggest Jacquelines then. Talk to Cam (either at the shop or on here) and see what he can do to make the food enjoyable. Nothing like supporting a beyonder and I am sure there are things on the menu or minor changes that can be made to accommodate her.

I am going to let my daughter look at the menu and let her pick. Ultimately it's her night. Thanks!

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Rouge
Charcut
Muse
Mercato
Murrieta's
Catch
Notable

Sky 360 would be fun as a one-time thing because the view is fantastic and because of that is memorable - great for an 18th birthday where you actually remember the night! The food on the otherhand is average at best.

I wish she would eat Italian or fish/seafood unfortunately she doesn't. I am going to call Notable tomorrow and see if we can get a reservation,....it's such an issue there. We always get lucky if we go for lunch but dinner can iffy. I wish they had a better reservation system then they do. It is my first choice and not far for us to go. Daughter just got home and I have her online doing the menu searches. TY We ate at 360 at the CN tower in Toronto and one of my friends works in the kitchen. So our dining experience was fantastic, and I am pretty sure that Calgary won't be even close to the same. I am thinking we should call it a night at McD's. lol.

msommers
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
The benefit of all those restaurants I mentioned is that they will change the plates around for them to work for you or make something different. I've done this at a few places I mentioned and it's never an issue.

Good luck and see you guys at Boudoir Rouge!

EDIT: And I totally forgot about Teatro!

urrforce
12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
bolero!!:drool:

Kritafo
12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by urrforce
bolero!!:drool:

we are totally over bolero if I could just get the tres leches cake to go I would happy!

urrforce
12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

we are totally over bolero if I could just get the tres leches cake to go I would happy!

my gf loves that dessert lol i love the grilled pineapples.

for me the pineapples and the bacon wrapped filet mingnon are why i try to hit up there once a month lol

Mitsu3000gt
12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Rouge is by far the best (IMO) but not good for a picky eater. For example, I had frog legs and a blue cheese milk shake served to me last time I was there haha. Delicious though, just not good for picky eaters.

Muse or Mercato would be my votes for a "safe" spectacular restaurant.

Offroad
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Chucke E Cheese cause she will always be your little girl :D

Kritafo
12-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Rouge is by far the best (IMO) but not good for a picky eater. For example, I had frog legs and a blue cheese milk shake served to me last time I was there haha. Delicious though, just not good for picky eaters.

Muse or Mercato would be my votes for a "safe" spectacular restaurant.

I am going to put rouge on my list I didn't know they had frog legs.. mmm

Kritafo
12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks everyone... We gave our daughter until tomorrow to make up her mind I did use open table to make a few reservations. I have always said it's easier to cancel than get them sometimes.

I am drooling over the Muse tasting menu but it's not for her that is for sure. :(
On a good note, lots of Valentine's ideas!

She went on the Merato site and when she googled it to see food and found out it was Italian, she said NO. lol.

XylathaneGTR
12-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Man...your daughter has to expand her palate a little. Mercato is awesome...how about I take her there next week and introduce her to the menu?

speedog
12-31-2012, 01:43 AM
She found out it was Italian and said no? What is her idea of italian? If it's the generic north american fair like spaghetti factory, then she really has no clue about what italian can be.

I can only assume by one of Kritafo's earlier comments that her daughter's issues are unique in that family and that is something I'd find quite frustrating - certainly ties one's hands when it comes to making dining choices.

spikerS
12-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I wish. They closed down a little while back. Seriously one of my fav haunts.

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2013, 09:59 AM

I am going to put rouge on my list I didn't know they had frog legs.. mmm

It was served to me as part of the "epicurean adventure" menu choice which is a 6 course meal and you don't know what you're getting before hand. I highly recommend doing this, but there is no guarantee for frog legs haha. They might be on the normal menu, I'm not sure.

Disoblige
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Blue Cheese milkshake???? :nut:

btw, Rouge would be a bad choice for a picky eater. Even worse if you're doing a tasting menu. The waiter would ask your daughter beforehand what she doesn't like and he'll have a 4 page essay.

Kritafo
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

btw, Rouge would be a bad choice for a picky eater. Even worse if you're doing a tasting menu. The waiter would ask your daughter beforehand what she doesn't like and he'll have a 4 page essay.

exactly.

My daughter is just sticking with the tower, she knows what she is getting into. There will be no surprise dishes, meat potato vegetable.

The adventurous eating will be had by the rest of us the family for our own occasions. It's her day I am not spoiling it fighting over food. I just wish she shared our passion to try new things, but not everyone is like that.

We are off to purchase a bottle of pink champagne for home.

Sorath
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
let me take her out before she turns 18 :thumbsup: :poosie:

bourge73
01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
^^:rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Yup, terrible choice for a picky eater. I mentioned that in my first post because other people were recommending Rouge for some reason (again, best restaurant in Calgary IMO, but not for picky eaters at all).

The blue cheese milkshake sounds disgusting but it was amazing. That's why I like not knowing what I will be eating until it's served to me - I'd never even think of ordering something like that otherwise. It was just served in a shot glass, it wasn't like an actual full-sized milkshake haha.

03ozwhip
01-02-2013, 04:57 PM

I just wish she shared our passion to try new things, but not everyone is like that.

it took until i was 30 to try any type of seafood and i can still take it or leave it. my wife is still retardedly picky at 29 years old, some people just arent adventurous enough, im one of them, however, if other people are eating it, it should be ok to eat, right? lol i wish that was my mentality 20 years ago haha

clem24
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Because I love to eat and try just about anything, I really find it weird when people won't try something. I dunno.. What is it? A mentality thing or some kind of actual/uncontrollable physical trait? And why does it only affect white people? :dunno: :rofl:

Well although my 2 year old is shaping up to be that way, but then again, she's only 2.

frozenrice
01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Originally posted by spikers

I wish. They closed down a little while back. Seriously one of my fav haunts.

Last year as a matter of fact. My wife's birthday fell exactly on their very last day of business. We decided to go there as that was the last chance ever that we'd be able to go there again. They still honoured the free birthday meal thing, although they were very unenthusiastic about it. The food and service was just mediocre (even compared to their "norm"). Considering that was everyone's last day of employment, I could see why.... LOL.

speedog
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Because I love to eat and try just about anything, I really find it weird when people won't try something. I dunno.. What is it? A mentality thing or some kind of actual/uncontrollable physical trait? And why does it only affect white people? :dunno: :rofl:

Well although my 2 year old is shaping up to be that way, but then again, she's only 2. Wrong on the white people idea - the five in our family are as white as white can be and countless foods items have been tried and are regulars in our home. My 14 year old daughter - takes tamarinds, canned oysters, canned tuna, longans, rambutans, roast beef with homemade horseradish, etc to school for lunch - certainly not regular run of the mill fair. About the only fruit we've tried that won't be making a re-appearance in our home is durian - while it didn't gross us out, the smell, texture and taste were certainly very odd.

But we've also seen many of our kid's friends (many non-white) who won't try new things out - we've grown purple beans in our garden and lots of our kid's friends wouldn't try them. Purple kohlrabi, even regular kohlrabi is another don't touch it food for many people as well as swiss chard, blood oranges, persimmons, jicama - all regular foods in our home. Our latest discovery (and it's so good) - steamed cardoon.

Kritafo
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
when my kids were little we used to take them shopping and we would buy one thing per trip that was new to the house with a huge selection of grocers in Calgary we had fun experimenting. We never forced the kids to try anything they didn't want. With our garden we always let them pick, plant and grow, and always hope for eating. The eating was mostly done by our son.

Tonight our daughter is at Chop I predict she will get Fillet Mignon or Prime Rib.

Just got the text... Fillet. lol

TomcoPDR
01-05-2013, 05:14 AM
About the only fruit we've tried that won't be making a re-appearance in our home is durian - while it didn't gross us out, the smell, texture and taste were certainly very odd.

Props for trying Durian. When it's fresh it sure is tasty, but yea the overnight smell of the skin peel/fruit. :barf: Next time try wrapping the skin in layers of newspaper, or just simply toss in a neighbouring yard after opening.

Kritafo
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
So we had her big night at the Tower, she ordered her very first drink, which of course she hated. Order the Fillet yes 2 nights in a row, all the meals were plated very nicely, but like mentioned they don't have the best meals in town. We had a great view, and an outstanding waitress. We came home and had a bottle of champagne or rather I drank most of the champagne because once again she hated the taste, and hated the mandarin vodka and the sweet taste of baileys got the poo poo as well. Bought her first lottery tickets and called it a night, 3 choices of birthday cake.

Regardless they took great care of my daughter for her 18th, flowers at the table, sang, special strawberry daiquiri, cake and sparklers the whole bit. She ate everything but the red cabbage so it was a great night for her, lots of pictures and a head full of memories. I call it a success.

speedog
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Glad the evening was a success for you, but your daughter is going to have to find a real special partner that'll tolerate her narrow minded views/tastes. Actually, one of my brothers (happily married for over 20 years) would've been a good choice as his idea of a gastronomic adventure is a shrimp ring from Costco.

egmilano
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Ruths chris

Kritafo
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
Ruths chris

We went on her 17th birthday not one of us had a good meal. I won't be back.

Kritafo
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Glad the evening was a success for you, but your daughter is going to have to find a real special partner that'll tolerate her narrow minded views/tastes. Actually, one of my brothers (happily married for over 20 years) would've been a good choice as his idea of a gastronomic adventure is a shrimp ring from Costco.

lol... yeah she won't even eat shrimp. She does like squid. We shall see if she changes.. I hope so, but there are lots of picky eaters in the world. I just wish she enjoyed food, I have always felt she is missing out on so much. She eats like a breatharian anyway.

Kritafo
01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Man...your daughter has to expand her palate a little. Mercato is awesome...how about I take her there next week and introduce her to the menu?

oooh I think her boyfriend and my husband would have something to say about that. lol