PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Bike Show

Go4Long
12-31-2012, 03:01 AM
So, it's next weekend. Who's going? Who's buying? What are people going to look at?

Me personally, I'm hoping they have an RSV4 that I can try sitting on (more as a dream than a reality), and as something a little closer to reality, I'm REALLY interested in the new Kawasaki 636. it looks smokin hot in white, and claims 130hp and sub 400lb dry weight. Won't be able to buy it at the show, but maybe if I don't get downsized one of them might make their way in to my garage later on this year.

If it's anything like the 2009 model change they will probably be in around the $10k price point at the show.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/Furadi/2013636.jpg

Mibz
12-31-2012, 08:02 AM
I hate that they came out with white like 3 months after I bought my 650. It looks so good :(

jdmXSI
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
I think im gonna check it out and Im curious to see what the new Kawi line up is like.

Cos
12-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Graham_A_M
12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah Kawi is putting out some amazing bikes. That 636 looks stellar, as does the new Ninja 300 & the ZX10.

They really stepped up their game this year.

I'm going to the show for sure, haven't went to one in a few years now. My buddy is thinking about getting a bike so I'll be going with him.

haggis88
12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
i'm gonna go for a look for sure!

probably won't buy anything, but should be laugh regardless! :)

TYMSMNY
12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Going to check it out on Sunday. Won't buy anything but will take a look around... not too many exciting things this year.

RC-Cola
01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I'll be headign there on Saturday with a couple of buddies. I'm looking at upgrading my bike and I'm torn between a bunch of models.

It will be great to throw my leg over a few of them to get a better feel then just on paper.

Now I just need to sell my current bike without taking a bath!

whiskas
01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
How much of an opportunity is there to sit on a few bikes to get an idea how they fit?

haggis88
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
How much of an opportunity is there to sit on a few bikes to get an idea how they fit?

in my experience of bike shows in the UK....you can try out most of the demo bikes the dealerships/manufactures bring

turbotrip
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
you can sit on most of the bikes

My_name_is_Rob
01-03-2013, 06:52 PM
So does this show have a website or anything? How can I find out more information on it?

Edit: NM, I used the Google tool.

haggis88
01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.calgarymotorcycleshow.ca/

Go4Long
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by haggis88

in my experience of bike shows in the UK....you can try out most of the demo bikes the dealerships/manufactures bring

The only bikes I've seen them not have for you to sit on are the limited run bikes. The RC8-R was up on a podium last year, I believe the RSV-4 Factory was as well, I think even the Ducati Panignale was on the floor, but they may have had it roped off, I can't remember for sure.

TYMSMNY
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

The only bikes I've seen them not have for you to sit on are the limited run bikes. The RC8-R was up on a podium last year, I believe the RSV-4 Factory was as well, I think even the Ducati Panignale was on the floor, but they may have had it roped off, I can't remember for sure.

Panignale was roped off. :(

Maxx Mazda
01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
cheeck out the freestyle MX show too. Pretty sweet and it gets better every year.

Graham_A_M
01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Panignale was roped off. :(

Ive heard some very mixed reviews on it. Personally I dont think its worth the much $$$$$.
As amazing of a bike as Im sure it is, the horror stories I've heard will always stick with me. :dunno:

Go4Long
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I think it's beautiful, and a perfect bike for those people that ride like...500km a year...If you ride 500km a weekend depending on the reviews you read it might not be the right bike...

On the other hand, it's a fuckin rocket ship...but if I were wanting a rocket ship I would buy the BMW.

TYMSMNY
01-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Ive heard some very mixed reviews on it. Personally I dont think its worth the much $$$$$.
As amazing of a bike as Im sure it is, the horror stories I've heard will always stick with me. :dunno:

What kind of horror stories?

As for comfort, I rode 6000km down to LA/Las Vegas on a 1098 last summer and wasn't hurt/cramped/sore/etc. So whether youre a weekend rider or not.. depends on... the rider. I'm sure there are more comfortable bikes lol.

All sport bikes are rocketships :eek:

Go4Long
01-04-2013, 02:04 AM
They're all rocketships, sure, but if you ever get a chance to take one of the S1000RR's out for a spin you'll understand the difference between fast and absolutely rediculous. Right out of the box on race gas with no modifications they went over the Dyno limits for the CSBK series, they had to run them on pump gas just to be race legal...only bike I know of to do that without some serious work done to them.

Boosted131
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Anyone know where the stunter exhibits are located and what time? Looking for the freestyle moto/quad and trials riders

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
This includes ATVs yes? I am thinking of selling my Raptor and moving up to a 4X4 ATV soon and id like to check them out.

Boosted131
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
This includes ATVs yes? I am thinking of selling my Raptor and moving up to a 4X4 ATV soon and id like to check them out. Yes atv that's partly why I am going today.

If you like Yamaha then check the wolverine. Still a sport quad but 4x4. I jump mine and it does fine.

With a clutch kit, exhaust , jetted and some 25 inch tires it goes good and hardly ever gets stuck

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Yes atv that's partly why I am going today.

If you like Yamaha then check the wolverine. Still a sport quad but 4x4. I jump mine and it does fine.

With a clutch kit, exhaust , jetted and some 25 inch tires it goes good and hardly ever gets stuck

My best friend rides a Wolverine, I don't really want to buy anything new I just want to look, in reality I'm looking at 5-10 year old 4x4 atvs around $3000 when I sell the Raptor.

Dave P
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Are you guys sure there are ATV's? For some reason I think ATV's are at the sportsman show? I could be wrong though.

Im going to check out the new Honda CRF450, and to see the Evolution of EXTRemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme haha

EErC4cXwqg4

12, 2, and 6 on sat.

Boosted131
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM

My best friend rides a Wolverine, I don't really want to buy anything new I just want to look, in reality I'm looking at 5-10 year old 4x4 atvs around $3000 when I sell the Raptor. I paid exactly that much for mine and it had all the mods. Wicked machine with the bigger tires and winch. Had tO drive a ways to get it but I'm sure I could get 4k easy for it.

Very good reliability too , there's people on the forum with over 20,000 km with no big issues. Mines only got 2800 now but it's solid

Boosted131
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Are you guys sure there are ATV's? For some reason I think ATV's are at the sportsman show? I could be wrong though.

Im going to check out the new Honda CRF450, and to see the Evolution of EXTRemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme haha

EErC4cXwqg4

12, 2, and 6 on sat. On their site they have videos of the sport quads jumping the gaps and such.

Crf450 are nice bikes I just wouldn't want to do those maintenance intervals. Valve check every 20 hours no thanks. Put over 400 hours on my wr450 and never checked them once.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Anyone go last night? How was it? Was there many ATVS?

jdmXSI
01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
I went, It wasnt really my main perogative but Honda had a couple as did BowCycle. May have been a few more I may have missed.

Out of all of the Bikes, there were only 2 that I liked. The Z1000 and the CBR600RR.

BenC
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Are the deals any good during the show?
Or is there a better time to buy new?
The gf is looking at the new ninja 300 hmm..

Graham_A_M
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
They had some okay deals on some bikes. Just dont bring a coat, or if you do use that coat service. Its fucking HOT walking around in a jacket in there.

All in all I wasn't too impressed, we left after an hour and a half.

Someone was asking if they have the CBR500 there, they do. Its white with red & blue decals, first when you walk in at the Honda booth.

I was expecting a lot more, with more of a custom bike segment, but there really wasn't much of one. :(

hedge
01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
what's the steering effort like on the Wolverine? I'm thinking of getting a better bike for my wife and this is one of the candidates. I'd like to get her something with power steering but that my break the budget.

Does it have the weird steering of the other Yamaha utility quads like the Grizzly and Kodiak?

Boosted131
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Anyone go last night? How was it? Was there many ATVS? Tons of atv on display, and only one in the stunt show. He did a backflip it was pretty sick.

Boosted131
01-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by hedge
what's the steering effort like on the Wolverine? I'm thinking of getting a better bike for my wife and this is one of the candidates. I'd like to get her something with power steering but that my break the budget.

Does it have the weird steering of the other Yamaha utility quads like the Grizzly and Kodiak? I have no complaints with it, my buddy I ride with has a kodiak but it has power steering so can't compare the 2.

Wolverine has power steering as well, when Im driving it:thumbsup:

What does she have right now for a quad?

haggis88
01-06-2013, 12:14 AM
i pretty much fell in love with the new ZX-6R and my buddy is considering getting a BMW F800ST as his next bike

all in all, i'd say it was worth the $14 entry fee! :thumbsup:

RC-Cola
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by haggis88
i pretty much fell in love with the new ZX-6R and my buddy is considering getting a BMW F800ST as his next bike

all in all, i'd say it was worth the $14 entry fee! :thumbsup:

I'd wait for a demo days for the F800st. It was a great looking bike until I rode. Very comfortable, very smooth and thus very boring to ride.

RedlineMS
01-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Did anyone notice that the new ZX6 looks and feels larger than the ZX10. I liked the new 6 but I'll still take the 10 when it's time for a new one. I loved how all the salespeople were quoting horsepower at the crank. 135 hp for the new CBR600rr lol. I like the MV Agusta but the F3 dropped the undertail 4 pipe for a side pipe setup, the F4 undertail setup looked better IMO. The new CBR600rr didn't get an updated dash, it's exactly the same as the 2007 model. That's lazy honda designers for you. Ducati girls looked great, classy. Amsoil girls need a uniform update, that ones tired. 1000 cc quads are gigantic, they make the side by sides almost look small. GW wasn't there flogging gear at great prices, or did I miss that? Some body got a "free" helmet from the Motovan booth - five finger discount version, that's poor form and makes us all look bad. I think all the brands should adopt the Ducati method of nicely attired girls to help you look at the bikes. And that's me complimenting Ducati, that doesn't happen to often. The Honda 700 is way overpriced. Makes the 500 look like a bargain, which it is btw. (great starter bike) Check out the Impotations Thibault booth if you are looking for hard bags. They have Givi and Kappa, which incidentally are the same thing, made in the same factory and the Kappa is way less money, go figure. Over all, not a bad show, lots of people missing but after last years show I'm not surprised. Can't wait for spring!

Maxt
01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Went Friday night, the people watching is where its at. Motorcycle people are freaky.
Slim pickins kinda for offroad bikes, was hoping to see a Beta , TM or Aprilia off road bike.. Saw none and nobody seems to carry them here.
Did some internet searching instead and I think I found my dream machine in an ATK 700.

Go4Long
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I think honda's goal with the new 600 was to see how ugly they could make a bike and still have people buy it...oi

The new ZX6R is definitely a little portly, but it fits me like a glove. I love it. If it wouldn't have cost me my marriage I would have bought one.

Sad that there didn't seem to be any good deals. They offered me and my buddy a decent price if we both purchased a ZX6R.

Maxx Mazda
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Did you guys have a look at that $28,000 Benelli? Never seen one before, despite the price I was impressed. Sleek Lookin machine, radiator was in the rear fender.

Boosted131
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Went Friday night, the people watching is where its at. Motorcycle people are freaky.
Slim pickins kinda for offroad bikes, was hoping to see a Beta , TM or Aprilia off road bike.. Saw none and nobody seems to carry them here.
Did some internet searching instead and I think I found my dream machine in an ATK 700. There was Beta offroad bikes there.

Also saw the all wheel drive christini bikes, pretty cool setup.

Maxt
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
There was Beta offroad bikes there.

Also saw the all wheel drive christini bikes, pretty cool setup.
Where were the Betas? I saw the gas gas and Christini.
Who is the Beta rep?

Boosted131
01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure their names, didn't care for the betas really.

christiniawd
01-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

If you are interested in having your company become a sponsor, please click here (http://forums.beyond.ca/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=2&subject=Advertising%20Info%20Request) to contact kenny, our Advertising Co-Ordinator.