PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: do you guys need more low end torque?

gamman
12-31-2012, 03:17 AM
I have never been really off roading, but we are developing entry level, low boost superchargers for primarily stock vehicles. They develop max boost almost off idle, and little at the redline, almost exactly opposit of other superchargers.

Is 4lbs of boost from 1500rpms and tapering to 1psi at redline attractive to the offroad sport? I only road race/drag etc. so I have no idea and need some help. 4 lbs at idle on our chev 4.3 makes gobs of tire spinning torque.

We were thinking our product would help things like the h3 and 4.3 v6 chev and jeeps of all sizes. The question is, would you want that type of help? Ie down low torque?

Gerry

spikerS
12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Personally, my Ecoboost has a ton of TQ, I can spin the rears pretty easily, even with turbo lag.

FraserB
12-31-2012, 09:23 AM
For 99% of offroaders and probably 100% in Alberta, a supercharger is useless offroad. The only benefits would probably be seen by someone who races. With the exception of a few people, does not happen in Alberta

A supercharger is going to be very low on the list of mods people will do for offroad, if ever. RIPP and Avenger already make Jeep superchargers as well, so they have the market effectively cornered. The only way to break into the Jeep market is to price yourself significantly lower, both those kits run about $4500-$5000. Even then, you will need to show a product and actual testing for it for people to even look at it.

nobb
12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
For the cost of installing a supercharger, there are many better alternatives for offroaders to be spending that money on and it would be last thing many people would consider in terms of modding. Alot of offroading rigs are also older vehicles, so it would be hard to justify spending that money. Heck, $5g is worth more than my 4Runner and the money I've spent on it.

Also, with a decent low range gearbox, low end torque is almost never an issue for most runs. However, I could see this product being marketed to people who tow trailers. Perhaps that is a better marketing direction.

SKR
12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
I would think most of your low end would be taken care of by gearing. If anything, I'd think something to give you some top end power would be better to sling mud. I was on Youtube night watching videos of trucks with Iroks and Boggers getting stuck in mud because they couldn't get enough wheel speed to clean them.

Towing would be a better market, as said above. That's the thing diesels have, and the reason people buy diesels to tow.

vengie
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree with everyone here.
S/c would be the least of an offroaders worries.
My Jeep was a dog on the highway, but I know gearing would have fixed that.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Gearing goes a lot further than a little boost.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
If I needed more twist offroad, I'd be installing a transfer case doubler, not a supercharger.

AndyL
12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Why do I see another electric supercharger thread coming?

if yes - then I'm happy to be your 3.4L Toyota development testbed :)

HuMz
12-31-2012, 04:02 PM
I could see it for jeeps but even then its more for rock climbing that the low end torque is beneficial which we ddon't have around here.

Proper gearing is much more beneficial IMO.

gamman
01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys. Will move on.

Sugarphreak
01-01-2013, 12:39 AM