PDA

View Full Version : Advice from all you skiers/boarders

C_Dave45
01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
What's a good ski mountain that has a real nice Hotel that's "ski in/ski out"?
Anywhere within a half day's drive. I'm thinking of a weekend holiday, but only half our party skis, the other half doesn't.

I was thinking Revelstoke, they have that real nice hotel at the base...but other than skiing, there's not much to see and do in Revelstoke.

Then thought of Banff...but the ski hill is a bit of a jaunt, not like we can ski down and lunch with the rest of the party.

Any suggestions?

lilmira
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Fernie and panorama?

C_Dave45
01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Fernie and panorama?

*ding*!! Ahh...I'll check those out. Thanks.

jsn
01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I keep hearing good things about whitefish, Montana but I haven`t had the chance to check it out myself. Went there last year for a golf trip though.

SOAB
01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
kicking horse has some awesome chalets right on the hill. its also an awesome mountain.

thrasher22
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Whitefish is really fun, Kimberly is a good one too if you want ski in/out accommodation.

C_Dave45
01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by jsn
I keep hearing good things about whitefish, Montana but I haven`t had the chance to check it out myself. Went there last year for a golf trip though.
We've been to Whitefish, although not up to the mountain. We liked it there...but for just a two-night stay, it's a bit of a drive. Almost 7 hours by the time you get up to the mountain.

Originally posted by SOAB
kicking horse has some awesome chalets right on the hill. its also an awesome mountain. Is there anything else there other than skiing? There will be two adults and a teenager who won't be skiing. Shopping, snooping around, etc.

Originally posted by thrasher22
Whitefish is really fun, Kimberly is a good one too if you want ski in/out accommodation.
I like Kimberly in the summertime...that's an idea. I'll check that one out too.

Thanks.

lilmira
01-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Kicking Horse is a good hill for sure and it has a nice restaurant at the top for dinner. Golden really doesn't have much going on however, much less than Fernie and Invermere for comparison.

There was a fire in Kimberley last week. Not sure how many places in town were affected.

dubhead
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I would say Fernie the hill is pretty close to town (cheap cab ride even) lots of ski in/ out options as well as good options to in stay in town. Fernie also as a couple pretty fun bars for partying (Bulldogs and grand central).

HHURICANE1
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Sunshine Village. Hotel at the base of the lifts.

dirtsniffer
01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Fernie would be my suggestion. But I'm doing kicking horse next weekend and whitefish the weekend after both ski in/out so ill report back. :)

austic
01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Kimberly is got a pretty great ski in/out with a nice hot tub 20 seconds from the lift

ercchry
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
problem with all the ones listed is that they are not walking distance to any of the towns from the hill. so unless the non-skiers have a car they will be bored.

only one that comes to mind would be whistler. if they do have a car (or the skiers do) i vote staying in the town of revy (not on the hill, you wouldnt want to go tot he base for lunch anyway)

revy has lots of little shops and stuff for the non-skiers and lots of hiking (including day hikes to natural hot springs)

C_Dave45
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
*sigh* :(

I had a place in Panorama all picked out...but the only other skier couldn't come. So instead we're going to Edmonton for the weekend. I haven't skied in 20 years...was looking forward to it. Bummer.

Phl0xed
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Whitefish is a bit of a trek, no doubt. However, if you plan on doing a weekend thing it's not so bad. I love it down there, personally. Never had any problems with lineups/waits, myself. Have a condo in the Bigfork/Kalispell area and just drive into Whitefish from there (approx 40min to the mountain). Would always recommend Whitefish if it is possible.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
*sigh* :(

I had a place in Panorama all picked out...but the only other skier couldn't come. So instead we're going to Edmonton for the weekend. I haven't skied in 20 years...was looking forward to it. Bummer.

EDMONTON? You got boned.

lilmira
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Great skiing at the rabbit hill lol.

C_Dave45
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

EDMONTON? You got boned.
Yeah, no kidding eh? Oh well.

Small consolation..got a huge suite at the Sutton Place Hotel. 900 sq ft suite with King bedroom. Get to bring our dog with us!!
Go for dinner at the Chicago Chop house. Also the Mongolie Grill on Jasper Ave....nice place, good food.
Spend a day at the West Ed Waterpark. Do some shopping.
Mini vacay to help ease the pain of going back to work.

project240
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Chicago Chop house

mmmmmmm

tobypaddock
01-04-2013, 12:30 AM
if you get another chance soon i also would recommend Whitefish, its a great hill and not as busy as most of the canadian hills. not to mention everything there is cheap as fack

msommers
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Surprised no one said Revy. Fernie is awesome, I love it there. Keep hearing amazing things about Whitefish but never been. Plus as Toby mentioned, the booze is super cheap! If you haven't ski'd in awhile, I don't know if I'd recommend going to Kicking Horse right away.

Enjoy Rabbit Hill. I'm sure it's as awesome as the Peace River ski hill on Misery Mountain (yeah it's actually called that :rofl: )

http://www.miserymountain.com/

Redlyne_mr2
01-04-2013, 03:40 AM
This thread took a turn for the worse lol.