PDA

View Full Version : Looking for part time work asap!

muffzz
01-02-2013, 12:51 AM
I have the worst luck when it comes to jobs :/. I have been looking for the past 4 months and I have absolutely 0 luck so far. I've gone to about 15-20 interviews and they only offer temporary 1 month work. I really need to work and get experience. If anyone knows of literally anything I am 100% down for it.

I have a Business Administration diploma in Finance from Sait and I am currently attending the University of Lethbridge (calgary campus, 2 year post diploma program) to get my Degree.

I am desperate!

maxomilll
01-02-2013, 01:03 AM
burgerking is hiring

muffzz
01-02-2013, 01:13 AM
thanks! which one? i seriously don't mind working there..at this point i'll pretty much do anything.

btimbit
01-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Short term work just for some money? Most restaurants are always hiring. Check out an Earls or Moxies or something, most Chefs hire part time employees based mostly on attitude and personality, skill comes later. Might have to start off washing dishes but whatever, that's easy as hell and if your prove yourself you'll be doing something else in no time. Can be really fun and you learn how to cook too which is a pretty good skill to have from a job you only plan to have for a while

CompletelyNumb
01-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by muffzz
I've gone to about 15-20 interviews and they only offer temporary 1 month work.

So take what they offer. Temporary often turns into permanent for good workers.

turbotrip
01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
^indeed

codetrap
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Canucks3322
01-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Symcor...data entry at nite, 7-11 shifts...easy job, great for students...the'yre on 10th ave by Co-op, go in and apply..

thrasher22
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Send your resume into staffing agencies. I got a bunch of temp work from Diversified Staffing while I was job hunting. Most gig's paid about $15 - $19 an hour... Stress your computer or professional skills and they'll be all over you. I was even offered a fairly senior position managing a large data entry project through them, although at the time had been offered a job in my "real" field.

There are a bunch around town though, drop resumes off at every one you can and you're bound to get some leads.

RNB11
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Symcor...data entry at nite, 7-11 shifts...easy job, great for students...the'yre on 10th ave by Co-op, go in and apply..

I went in to apply and they said they only take applications online. They do not accept resumes. Could not find the position online.

I am also looking for an evening/weekend job, if anyone has any leads please let me know!

Amysicle
01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
Send your resume into staffing agencies. I got a bunch of temp work from Diversified Staffing while I was job hunting. Most gig's paid about $15 - $19 an hour... Stress your computer or professional skills and they'll be all over you. I was even offered a fairly senior position managing a large data entry project through them, although at the time had been offered a job in my "real" field.

There are a bunch around town though, drop resumes off at every one you can and you're bound to get some leads. +1 Marks Staffing Services found me a temp job in the evenings for Bow Valley College within that pay range. Perfect position as I was able to work on my homework at the same time. Just had to sign people in and out which only happened at the beginning and end of the 4 hour shift.

thrasher22
01-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
+1 Marks Staffing Services found me a temp job in the evenings for Bow Valley College within that pay range. Perfect position as I was able to work on my homework at the same time. Just had to sign people in and out which only happened at the beginning and end of the 4 hour shift.
I was trying to remember their name! I didn't work with them personally, but was placed with a lot of people who were with them.

Adachi
01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by RNB11

I went in to apply and they said they only take applications online. They do not accept resumes. Could not find the position online.

I am also looking for an evening/weekend job, if anyone has any leads please let me know!

You just have to make a profile on their site.
The rest will come later, but it doesn't seem like they're hiring at the moment.
I haven't seen any new trainee's in weeks.

I believe UPS is always hiring bahaha.

willbe1
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

So take what they offer. Temporary often turns into permanent for good workers.

This

My_name_is_Rob
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
There is a certain mentioned Go-Kart track, that according to their website are hiring for several different positions. Might be worth a look? :dunno:

Go-Kart Thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/357500/new-go-kart-track-in-calgary-opening/)

CanmoreOrLess
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Red Lobster is about to hire 21 waiters, they are so short staffed.

Graham_A_M
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
PM me, I may be able to get you in at some entry level job where I work.

Most likely PT to full time though.

muffzz
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22

There are a bunch around town though, drop resumes off at every one you can and you're bound to get some leads.

I had gotten a job with mark staffing last summer for about 3 weeks. It was a temp job at SAIT, paid pretty well. I went to diversified staffing for an interview and got 100% on all the ms office stuff. I've emailed them a couple of times and they said at the moment there are no positions available but if they find something they'll let me know. I apply to their job openings everyday but get no response from them :/

Little Dragon
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Interested in marketing type job? No sales, just promotion of events or products. Some examples are giving out cheese samples at malls, lemonade at stampede, pamphlets for events, etc.

Most of them pay quite well (~$15-$20/hour depending on role) and you get to pick what events to work.

RNB11
01-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Anymore leads? I've applied at a ton of places!

CompletelyNumb
01-11-2013, 01:19 AM
There's hundreds listed on kijiji every day. Have you really been offered no work whatsoever?

pockett
01-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Every store in Deerfoot Mall is hiring

G-ZUS
01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Pickndrop is hiring

Disoblige
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Someone from Beyond go work @ Speeders Indoor ProKarts haha.
They're having open house interviews tomorrow at 11am-2 pm at their location.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.400.400/p403x403/481386_461865407210545_401304707_n.jpg

eglove
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Michaels is hiring

Adachi
01-12-2013, 02:53 AM
UPS is always hiring for preload.
I think it's like 15+ an hour, and after your 90 days I think you get a 1000 bonus.
They also pay up to 2000 for tuition per semester if you get 60% or higher.
Only crappy thing is, it's UPS and the hours are pretty much 3am-9am.
Anything past 5 hours is time and a half.

jltabot
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Shaw Tech support is also hiring, starting is $17.25/hr + full benefits even for part-timers

EK69
01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Have u ever worked at UPS?
It's pretty demanding physically (at least unloading was)
But yea they are always looking for ppl the turnover is super high.
Some ppl count their employment in days there lol
If u do get a job there, take ur own gloves for day 1. They are not supplied.

Adachi
01-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by EK69
Have u ever worked at UPS?
It's pretty demanding physically (at least unloading was)
But yea they are always looking for ppl the turnover is super high.
Some ppl count their employment in days there lol
If u do get a job there, take ur own gloves for day 1. They are not supplied.

Yes, and I do agree it's pretty damn physically demanding.
I'm in management there and that even drives me nuts lol.
On the plus side, it's a pretty good work out cause they work you non-stop

WhippWhapp
01-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Deliver pizza/food seems like a good option for p/t work.

Graham_A_M
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I was over at KMS tools yesterday, and you should really apply there as well.

If you want work ASAP, I'd recommend a temp agency, such as Randstand or IS2 staffing services. If you're a good worker and the company likes you, they'll likely hire you on FT.

My company does that with a lot of the entry level positions. Those are two staffing companies we hire through.

EDIT: Queensland liquor is also hiring, I think its $14-15 to start. Pretty damn easy work. Their looking for a few people for both FT and PT work.

joda85
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Deliver pizza/food seems like a good option for p/t work.

I have been in search of this for the past 2 months, mainly on kijiji, but no luck so far. No call-backs from all the postings I've appllied to. I did, however, do part-time deliveries for a floral shop for their Xmas rush. It was a good PT gig.

If anyone has any leads on food/pizza delivery driver positions in the NW/NE, please let me know! :thumbsup:

sabad66
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Try Calgary deep dish on McKnight and centre. They has a help wanted sign last time I was there.

muffzz
05-15-2013, 11:41 PM
4 months later still can't find a full time job :( . I've managed to do 2 temp jobs but they ended. Any advice on how/where I should be applying? Maybe I'm not applying to the right places. I check kijiji everyday and calgaryjobshop as well and I apply to at least 10-15 jobs every single day and get only 2-3 responses.

Any tips? Pretty desperate at this point to gain some experience because I know in the long run it's going to be 10x harder.

Tej.S
05-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Why do you only seem to land temporary jobs? And why do they always end? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but do you truly consider yourself to be a good employee?

xnvy
05-16-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm on the hunt as well. I'm up for anything. Don't really have any qualifications except I just completed my first year of a Bachelor's Degree in Health Science. Disclaimer: I'm weak, so no heavy lifting. :D

muffzz
05-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Why do you only seem to land temporary jobs? And why do they always end? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but do you truly consider yourself to be a good employee?

Because I get them through job agencies. I do consider myself a good, hardworking and very reliable employee. They end because the work finishes and they have nothing left for me to do even though I ask them if there's a possibility to be hired full-time but they say not atm.

Tej.S
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Oh I see. Well, you could always try career fairs lol. I know crossiron mills had one a few days ago, but I'm not sure if it's still going on. You could also try getting a friend to refer you for a job, that's how I got my first job after experiencing a situation similar to yours.

muffzz
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Bump still looking if anyone knows of any positions. I do have previous sales/customer service/retail/data entry experience.

gamman
06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Landscaping work? My yard is a mess. I am serious. I have a lot to do.

muffzz
06-11-2013, 11:44 PM
jeez still no luck..applied to 50+ places so far

Dalking
06-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by muffzz
jeez still no luck..applied to 50+ places so far I hear you. I've been on the hunt for something to occupy evenings rather than my xbox....lol

muffzz
06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Dalking
I hear you. I've been on the hunt for something to occupy evenings rather than my xbox....lol

lol..i've even applied to jobs that start from 8pm-2 am..now who doesn't want to hire someone who is available for that T_T

Dalking
06-12-2013, 01:28 AM
I don't see why anybody wouldn't. Half the retards serving me coffee or selling me gas can't even speak english and they have jobs lol.

403ep3
06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't see why anybody wouldn't. Half the retards serving me coffee or selling me gas can't even speak english and they have jobs lol.

Which basically means you are too incompetent to work and are even more retarded than the people selling you coffee and gas :zzz:

GTS4tw
06-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Which basically means you are too incompetent to work and are even more retarded than the people selling you coffee and gas :zzz:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM

FraserB
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
You need to have someone that does not know you go over your resume. If you have applied at this many jobs with no success, there has to be something on it that is holding you back.

Dalking
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Which basically means you are too incompetent to work and are even more retarded than the people selling you coffee and gas :zzz: :rofl: I will admit that is a nice burn, however I am seeking PT work not because I need money but because I want to do more productive things with spare time.

GTS4tw
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
:rofl: I will admit that is a nice burn, however I am seeking PT work not because I need money but because I want to do more productive things with spare time.

Post your resume here, maybe there is something obvious that someone can point out.

quick_scar
06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Post your resume here, maybe there is something obvious that someone can point out.

Or send me a PM and I can provide some feedback. I am not as seasoned as many here I am sure, but I have done 2 rounds of hiring now for the company I work for and have seen quite a few resumes. Another set of eyes couldn't hurt.

Dalking
06-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Post your resume here, maybe there is something obvious that someone can point out. :rofl: not a chance.

muffzz
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
tbh it might be the way i've written my objective in my resume. but other than that i think everything looks pretty good. i've already had a bunch of people look at it and fix it up. guess it's just a waiting game to get hired :(

ddduke
06-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Why don't you go work construction? A sister company of mine is constantly hiring, starting wage is $20/hr and there's always endless work. Maybe Landscaping, also an industry that's always hiring, pays okay, great exercise and you get a tan.

You can always visit Shoemaker, you can work in the yard, maybe the office and if all else fails they always need swampers on the delivery trucks. The turn over rate there is crazy, every time I walk in I see new faces.

If you can't find a job then I'm sure you're the problem. Calgary is full of work.

vengie
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Why don't you go work construction? A sister company of mine is constantly hiring, starting wage is $20/hr and there's always endless work. Maybe Landscaping, also an industry that's always hiring, pays okay, great exercise and you get a tan.

You can always visit Shoemaker, you can work in the yard, maybe the office and if all else fails they always need swampers on the delivery trucks. The turn over rate there is crazy, every time I walk in I see new faces.

If you can't find a job then I'm sure you're the problem. Calgary is full of work.

Everything this man just said.
Go visit a construction site, ask if they need laborers, Landscaping, work as a swamper on a picker (construction supply, Ex: Shoemaker, Win roc, Consolidated gypsum, Commercial construction supply)

No excuse to not be working, unless you are turning up jobs you feel are "beneath" you.

GTS4tw
06-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by vengie

Go visit a construction site, ask if they need laborers, Landscaping, work as a swamper on a picker (construction supply, Ex: Shoemaker, Win roc, Consolidated gypsum, Commercial construction supply)

No excuse to not be working, unless you are turning up jobs you feel are "beneath" you.

Most probably do not want part time workers. Part time stuff can be much harder to find.

vengie
06-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Most probably do not want part time workers. Part time stuff can be much harder to find.

It's summer... He is a Uni student, which unless he is taking summer courses, means he is available to work full time.

satan69
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM

:rofl: not a chance.

Here Evolize (Dave), let me help you out, maybe you can spot why you can't get or keep a job.

A few things I could point out for his job skills:
Master RC drifter
Master Hack Job wanna-be photographer
Fired from Rogers Wireless
Professional E-Recycler Dumpster Diver
High end club DJ
Master at using sharpie pens to decorate cars, motorcycles and anything else.

and you became master of this in the past 2 years.

Working for a month or 2, and then sitting back for 6 does not exactly show potential employers that you are stable or mature enough. Do you think they want to waste their time on you?

your formal education does not include High School.

In your spare time, he likes to create drama, play xbox, drift around aimlessly, mooch off people, drink lots of tim hortons, and whine when you can't find someone to hang out with.

You have a poor work ethic where nothing is you fault, and you live to create drama. At 30 years old, I would assume you would have amassed more life skills and figured it out by now.

Did I leave anything out Dave-X? Aka Dave, AKA Evolize, Aka Dave Nguyen?

muffzz
06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by vengie

that was my attitude before thinking jobs like that were not my cup of tea but I have been applying to them. Applied to consolidated, is work force, ups etc. Hope to hear from them soon.

Does any one know about this company called Confidential?

Civic_Drift
06-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Try applying at stores at the mall. They usually hire extra people for the summer and if the people perform decent, they will be kept on as permanent part-timers.

xnvy
06-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by satan69
I'm Dave's biggest fan Whoa man, chill out. Sipping too much of the Haterade there, I see. Also Evolize is white not Viet.

Heru-Farukon
06-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Have you tried fedex or something? They keep sending me job emails that are available.

Pretty mcdee is hiring all the time

satan69
06-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Whoa man, chill out. Sipping too much of the Haterade there, I see. Also Evolize is white not Viet.

I know who Dave (evolize) is. For you to be even remotely right, it would have to be a shared account.

Here, lets see if I can draw a line for you to follow.

I) http://www.calgaryrc.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15583

II) http://www.calgaryrc.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15949

III) http://forums.beyond.ca/st/369876/fs-rc-drift-car-hpi-sprint-2/

And there is a TON more there should anyone decide to put half the effort in to look.

I am just tired of his whole "woe is me attitude" when he is a lazy fuck who always looks for the get rich quick schemes.

Fuck, look how many fucking TVs the guy has put on Beyond that he salvages from e-cycling. I have listened to him bitching for so fucking long, it drives me nuts! If he put half the effort into his excuses, and instead on getting a job and keeping his head down and KEEPing the job...

/rant

eglove
06-13-2013, 12:21 AM
lol another evolize fail thread

xnvy
06-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Meh. I've kept in touch with him. He's managed to keep his nose clean and has found some new hobbies to pursue which is great for him. If it is actually him and he is looking for PT work IDK why it's such a big deal to you, especially when Dalking says they're looking for work only because they want something to do. Even if it was for money, good on him for looking. Anyways, just my $0.02 and I'd suggest we try and keep this on topic and confine the rest to PM.

Back on topic, I'm a small guy but have been looking at some labourer positions. Is Greendrop very physically intense? I thought about applying at UPS but the requirements state you must be able to lift 70 lbs. I can't and as a result have kind of looked more towards the service sector but the Greendrop employees working at my house don't seem to do much other than drive around and spray stuff.

streethondas
06-13-2013, 12:41 AM

Did I leave anything out Dave-X? Aka Dave, AKA Evolize, Aka Dave Nguyen?

You forget the part where he has more skills then you! Idk what your vendetta is with Evoilze but you seem butt hurt? What's the deal here?

zakizdaman
06-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Can a mod please clean up this thread and ban the shitposter?

muffzz
06-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Meh. I've kept in touch with him. He's managed to keep his nose clean and has found some new hobbies to pursue which is great for him. If it is actually him and he is looking for PT work IDK why it's such a big deal to you, especially when Dalking says they're looking for work only because they want something to do. Even if it was for money, good on him for looking. Anyways, just my $0.02 and I'd suggest we try and keep this on topic and confine the rest to PM.

Back on topic, I'm a small guy but have been looking at some labourer positions. Is Greendrop very physically intense? I thought about applying at UPS but the requirements state you must be able to lift 70 lbs. I can't and as a result have kind of looked more towards the service sector but the Greendrop employees working at my house don't seem to do much other than drive around and spray stuff.

Yeah UPS is pretty physically demanding I hear. I've applied there a couple times but they only called me for shifts that started at 3 am and they said it ran for about 3-5 hours which isn't too bad but I told them I wanted something in the morning but they were all full. Try ISwork force solutions they are always hiring. I myself applied there today. I think its $15-17.50/ hr . Other than that i've been trying to find work for a while. Just takes time. Going to apply to a bunch of construction jobs tomorrow.

InRich
06-13-2013, 03:01 PM
If you looking for part time work. Im looking for door knockers for the NW end of town. work from 5:00 - 9:00 pm every day 5 days a week. PM me for details.

ddduke
06-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Maybe you just haven't tried lifting 70lbs because that's actually not heavy at all. Most 13 year old kids can lift 70lbs.

muffzz
07-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Anyone hiring for any PT/FT positions? I am available immediately. Looking to gain some valuable experience or any type of experience. Don't care much about the pay. I'm not choosy for positions.

Feel free to msg me if you have any openings.

Disoblige
07-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Dave should have kept with the photography. He was decent at it IMO, and way better than a lot of people I know who act like they're photography gurus (not on Beyond).

403ep3
07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
http://ca.indeed.com/McDonalds-jobs-in-Calgary,-AB

ga16i
07-25-2013, 10:02 AM

when he is a lazy fuck who always looks for the get rich quick schemes.

Fuck, look how many fucking TVs the guy has put on Beyond that he salvages from e-cycling. I have listened to him bitching for so fucking long, it drives me nuts! If he put half the effort into his excuses, and instead on getting a job and keeping his head down and KEEPing the job...

/rant

I had no idea this was going on. I've got no beef with you or evolize. This sounds pretty entertaining in a Trailer Park Boys sorta way. If only you told us he was pulling shopping carts out of ditches and reselling them to malls or stealing bbq's :D

Anyway, good luck with the Big Dirty evolize, freedom 35!

KRyn
07-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Maybe you just haven't tried lifting 70lbs because that's actually not heavy at all. Most 13 year old kids can lift 70lbs.

No doubt, my buddies 115 pounds walking stick for a girlfriend picked up an 80 pound dumbbell last night.

kvg
07-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Dave should have kept with the photography. He was decent at it IMO, and way better than a lot of people I know who act like they're photography gurus (not on Beyond).

With out a doubt he has a talent for automotive photography, but I think his problem is his hard done by attitude and how he deals with people. I hope he's doing better now though:dunno:

Graham_A_M
07-25-2013, 12:26 PM
^ yeah he was, very good at it. Seemed like a decent guy when I talked to him some years ago, but mind you I didn't know about half the shit that "Satan69" said......

muffzz
08-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Looking for any type of work/position and can start IMMEDIATELY! If you need someone i'm your man!

RNB11
08-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Just about finished my summer intern job, on the hunt for a part time job :)

amear
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Tunerworks:dunno: