PDA

View Full Version : Lf: home theatre installer

naheedv
01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Hey

I am looking to get my 5.1 sound system installed. I am looking to get all 5 speakers wall mounted with the cables ran behind the walls. Does anyone know anybody that does? Or could they recommend someone??

Thanks!!

wtf im nameless
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
What kind of speakers do you have?

naheedv
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey

The speakers are the bose acoustimass 15 and they are hooking up to a pioneer receiver. Essentially I just need someone to run the speaker wires through the walls.

spikerS
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
you can do it yourself, the easiest way is to tun your speaker wires behind your baseboards to the location of the speakers. then drill a hole in the wall, and run a wire or something to snake the wire up behind the wall from the floor. Mount the speaker, connect it, and profit!

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
It's really easy to do yourself unless you just don't have the time. I wouldn't bother paying an installer for a simple 5.1 install. Just get a buddy to help you fish the wires through the wall.

theken
01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
It's hard to do a true through the wall install after drywall is up. As mentioned you can drill a hole near your speaker and drop the wire to the ground and run under baseboards. Other than that there really is no way to run wires horizontally in your wall without massive damage to your drywall

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
You can also usually push the wire between the carpet and the baseboard with the butt end of a butter knife or phillips screwdriver. It completely hides the wire and there is zero damage done to the walls/baseboards. Then I would run it just from the ground to the speaker through the wall with a little fishing.

A very cheap/easy solution is to buy wire channeling and paint it the same color as the wall. Not sure if that would work for you or not but it still looks pretty clean and takes no time at all.

clem24
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Haha I am surprised no one commented on the Acoustimass...

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Haha I am surprised no one commented on the Acoustimass...

Haha, well he already has them. Probably got the boxing day "deal" where it was $699 or something like that at a few places. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice of speakers but each to their own :D. Normal prices is like $1200 which is absurd.

They aren't terrible speakers, just overpriced for what you get even at $699 or whatever the recent deal was. It'll sound alright at least.

clem24
01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

They aren't terrible speakers, just overpriced for what you get

Ha you kidding me? Huge hole in the midrange and giant 5db spike at about 5k?

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

They generate the most sound in the "pleasing" regions so that's why people feel they sound good but anyone who's heard a good system will easily detect a huge missing chunk when they listen to these.

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Ha you kidding me? Huge hole in the midrange and giant 5db spike at about 5k?

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

They generate the most sound in the "pleasing" regions so that's why people feel they sound good but anyone who's heard a good system will easily detect a huge missing chunk when they listen to these.

They aren't good, don't get me wrong haha. I was just trying to make the OP not feel TOO bad :). I wouldn't buy them personally, even for $100. I generally dislike anything that says BOSE on it.

Have you seen this, though? Appears to be the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for $248:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=2

Dimensions, weight, appearance, frequency response, power, driver material, crossovers, EVERYTHING is literally identical to the Energy set, which is a decent little 5.1 setup for the money.

clem24
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
^^^ Holy fuck I LOL'ed... Hilarious. Looks like some Chinese company is sourcing the same components (I assume everything Energy is made in China now) and just making their own enclosures. I dunno how the new 5.1 "classic" sounds but I've basically lost all respect for API products after they started producing all their shit in China. But for $248, that's hard to beat LOL. Would be interested to hear how it sounds.

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2013, 07:17 PM
^^^ Holy fuck I LOL'ed... Hilarious. Looks like some Chinese company is sourcing the same components (I assume everything Energy is made in China now) and just making their own enclosures. I dunno how the new 5.1 "classic" sounds but I've basically lost all respect for API products after they started producing all their shit in China. But for $248, that's hard to beat LOL. Would be interested to hear how it sounds.

Yeah haha, it's absolutely identical in every dimension and specification. Monoprice claims they still manufacture it though (maybe they just buy the same parts from Energy's supplier and assemble it themselves). The Energy Take Classic 5.1 is a nice little system. Usually sells for $799 locally at places like Future Shop. Often goes on sale and is good bang for the buck - blows the doors off of all the cheap HTIB's from Samsung, Panasonic, etc. but you do need to add a receiver.

No idea how it sounds (I assume absolutely identical to the Energy's LOL), but a couple of my friends are going to be picking it up so I can report back when they get around to ordering it - should be fairly soon here. I'm very curious as well. They were looking simply for "better than TV speaker" sound, so I suggested that because it's dirt cheap haha.

r3ccOs
01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
so much hi-fi's been sourced to china for years and now even Chi-fi brands are getting notoriety..

i.e. emotiva, jolida, Jungson, Cayin, Audio-Space etc...

speakers that at one point were made by Scandinavia were outsourced to various companies in China or wholly owned subsidiaries like HIVI or VIFA

enclosures, drivers, x-overs, etc..

has quality decreased? possibly, but the last set of offerings from KEF, Castle, even cabinets made for Sonus are from China

and if you've had a listen to the Veritas's from Energy, you'll see that its extremely good value for the price, regardless where its made

just saying

clem24
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Well China is HUGE on "hi-fi" and it's definitely where to look especially if you're on a budget. Nowadays, the tube stuff coming out of China is world class and even speaker designs (as you mention stuff like HiVi) are definitely up there. The difference is between stuff that's been conceived and designed in China, stuff where some components are sourced in China to cut costs, and others the rest that's just garbage. Unfortunately, Energy falls into the last category.

At one point, the C2 in the Connoisseur line (a pair I still own LOL) made the Stereophile recommended components. They've diluted that line to sell at big box retailers instead of specialty stores. I mean some companies are still designing their stuff here and outsourcing high quality components in China, but I don't think Energy is doing that. All their new stuff just feels really cheap; feels like their stuff is designed with only cheap as the ultimate goal. The new C line sounds like shit. Same with Mirage - that company died ever since Ian Paisley stopped working there. I have not heard the current Veritas line but for what they charge, they damn well better sound good LOL.

I still remember when A&B had the Veritas 2.8 and I drooled everytime I passed by them and said one day I would own one LOL.