PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Art

LOLzilla
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
My new place has a lot of empty walls and it is time to start filling them up. Any experiences with ordering on line? Are there any places actually based in Canada? When is the ACAD annual art sale?

Thanks

avishal26
01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but if you have taken some good pictures yourself (or can find some online ..with copyright permissions of course..), you can get them printed on canvas at Walmart. They even print on fleece blankets and mugs now :eek:

bookem
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
ACAD art sale was in December, not sure if there is another at the end of winter semester.

swak
01-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Take poster - bring to "avenue of art" or other paintings/framing store - get transferred to canvas.
For under 200 - (w/o frame costs) you got badass art

Destinova403
01-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Surf around on Etsy.com if you have time. Theres lots of independent artists who sell pieces on there.

EK69
01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
I read some post here on beyond marketplace where someone's selling pictures they took or or something depending on what kinda art u want

davidI
01-07-2013, 06:59 AM
I buy all of my art on travels. You get incredible originals (granted they're mass produced in the sense that the artists paint the same concepts over and over again) for great prices.

I've actually considered starting a business by traveling, purchasing bulk quantities of quality artwork, shipping it to N.A. and selling it online for 2-3x the cost....

EK69
01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I buy all of my art on travels. You get incredible originals (granted they're mass produced in the sense that the artists paint the same concepts over and over again) for great prices.

I've actually considered starting a business by traveling, purchasing bulk quantities of quality artwork, shipping it to N.A. and selling it online for 2-3x the cost....
Do It I'm in
Import cheap jewellry and sell it for 10x mark up as well
Let's get rich :bigpimp:

//edit
I also like ur picture :hijack:

davidI
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by EK69

Do It I'm in
Import cheap jewellry and sell it for 10x mark up as well
Let's get rich :bigpimp:

//edit
I also like ur picture :hijack:

I've know a guy in New Jersey who is in his late 40s, still travels ~6 months a year, and sells art, jewlery, textiles and furniture from all over the world. He has a big store front and usually ships 1-2 containers of stuff he finds on his travels each year.

Very inspiring, but I'm still not convinced the concept would be profitable in Calgary.

GS430
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
Surf around on Etsy.com if you have time. Theres lots of independent artists who sell pieces on there.

x2 for Etsy. I've used the site and have been happy every time.

You can get some cool cheap-o prints or one off, unique pieces.

suntan
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Home Outfitters, Homesense, Rafters (are these still around).

If you're in Victoria, there's a ton of artisans that sell their stuff for cheap downtown.