PDA

View Full Version : Taking time off

Matty_10
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
With the Christmas holidays over, feeling like it flew by and left wanting more time off, was wondering when it comes to taking long periods of time off like a month for a trip/relaxing or a few months off/deferred salary option to work on your house. How long do you think you have to be at your job for before you do this, couple years, sooner? As I get into a more professional environment in the future I don't want to look like an idiot starting out, as I like time off to do things, thanks.

BlackArcher101
01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I've yet to work for a company that would allow me to take that amount of time off without pay. It leaves them in a bad position, as at that point, you are gone long enough to require a temp probably. Only exception I see to this is for schooling, especially for apprentices.

Some companies do allow it if they are large enough, especially if you are lucky to get on with a pimp Oil & Gas outfit, but it certainly isn't the norm.

Smartiepants
01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I think you'd be able to swing a month off no problem... by using all your vacation. I'd see people that take more time off than that unless for a very good reason that it'd be somewhat of a career limiting move, you just might find yourself passed over for promotions for being unreliable.

timdog
01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
i've been with the same company for over 7 years. in about year 5, I took 5 weeks off for a big trip. about 1.5 weeks was unpaid, and they didnt have much of a problem with it. I guess it depends on your boss and your work situation. At some point in the future I will plan on taking another (even longer trip) but I dont know exactly when. I think as long as you show initiative and plan who will cover you, and be willing to work a bunch of OT leading up to the time off, or just show that you will do whatever it takes to make the absence as low impact as possible, and you dont have an asshole boss... you should be fine. I wouldnt attempt this if you havent been with the company for more than a couple years.

Gainsbarre
01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't think taking that much time off is advisable at all, at least not in a professional work environment (you will be passed over for raises/promotions and won't win any favours among your colleagues). I get up to 8 weeks vacation a year and I don't expect to take even half of that (only took 3 weeks in 2012). Colleagues and counterparties that are unavailable for extended periods of time are not individuals I want to work with -- I was just trying to contact somebody last week and she has an out of office autoreply saying that she will be out of the office and not checking emails for the next 6 weeks -- ridiculous.

Ever seen "Boiler Room"?

zvICN8DNMpY

lasimmon
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
I don't think taking that much time off is advisable at all, at least not in a professional work environment (you will be passed over for raises/promotions and won't win any favours among your colleagues). I get up to 8 weeks vacation a year and I don't expect to take even half of that (only took 3 weeks in 2012). Colleagues and counterparties that are unavailable for extended periods of time are not individuals I want to work with -- I was just trying to contact somebody last week and she has an out of office autoreply saying that she will be out of the office and not checking emails for the next 6 weeks -- ridiculous.

Ever seen "Boiler Room"?

zvICN8DNMpY

You sound like an enjoyable coworker to work with.

FraserB
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
If you're going to be away for 2 weeks or more, there should be someone who can answer any questions who can make themselves available to people who need them. Or you should be checking emails in case someone needs something urgent.

Feruk
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I've taken up to 4 weeks off at a time in a professional engineering position. No big issue as long as you've got vacation coverage worked out, give ample notice, and your boss is cool with it. I've covered 4+ weeks for people in the past.

Taking a couple months off, some unpaid though... That wouldn't fly at my company.

CapnCrunch
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Ever seen "Boiler Room"?

Where do you work?

I'm just asking as a reference for anyone on Beyond who doesn't want to work with assholes at a shitty company.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
You don't want to take too much unpaid time off IMO because they will need someone to do your job in the meantime. If your job turns out to be easily covered by an existing employee, or if not a lot changes when you leave, they might decide they don't need you at all. A month isn't bad, but I hear of people leaving for several months and I don't think that's smart unless you are absolutely non-replaceable.

Disoblige
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
A few months off work to work on your house? Yeah you might as well quit. A month off with mostly banked hours? Should be OK if your boss is decent and you have necessary coverage.

All the Filipinos at my work take January and February off, and start their vacation mid-December. They work OT to bank enough hours, so they get to be home in the Philippines and miss the peak of our Winters.

Smart for them I suppose, but I'm glad I don't need to get anything from them because I would be fucking pissed.

I would never take time off without pay if I could help it.

.jl-
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Depends on the company. I landed on my job right off of school and got 3 weeks paid vacation. Most companies also allow you to build toil by accumulating OT hours so you can take some paid time off when you need it. My company allows up to 80 OT hours before it stops accumulating which is 5 weeks with my vacation a year. That being said, you need to inform your managers if you're taking long periods of time off so they can assign work to other workers.

Perceptionist
01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I think it really depends on your role in your company and the relationship with your superiors. I was fortunate enough to get a 3 month leave of absence to go travelling and return right back to the same position. This was in a professional role at a very small company after only being there a year and a half. A big reason why I asked for the time off and got it was due to a shift in priorities in the company, which had us doing less work on the operations side of things.

Xtrema
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
IMO, the bigger the corporation with bigger employee pool, the easier it would be to pull off leave of absence.

But you better have leverage as many has said before, if they don't miss you after a month, especially if you are in any senior, big $$ positions, the company doesn't really need you at all.

88CRX
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Depends on the company and line of work....

But you typically would not see anyone in any sort of important management role taking 6/7/8 weeks off for a vacation or to just sit at home and relax.

black_2.5RS
01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm taking 4 months off leave of absence. I've been with the same firm for 9 years in a Sr. Mgmt position. Company is very supportive and it helps that the head of our company in Calgary did the same many years ago which helps set a positive tone.

Tomaz
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
I can only take 2-3 weeks off at a time with my company. I currently only have 3 weeks vacation anyway, so that doesn't help me much. lol

As for extended leave, my company does allow it, but it matters on reasoning:

For medical leave, I have short-term disability which allows me up to one month off at a percentage of my salary. For long-term, I have up to 2 months at a lower percentage of my salary.

For anything that isn't medical related, or is medical related for longer than 2 months, I have a lay-off clause (I forget the name) that suspends my employment for the duration of my leave but will be re-hired in a similar paying position if my old one is no longer available. There is a time-limit on that too before I am completely let go, but I forget the terms.

There are a bunch of other factors that play into it such as if the disability was cause from the workplace, or some catastrophic event that prevents me from working. It's much different for other employees here as I am one of the few left on salary.

Sometimes there can be compromise you could possibly work with your boss to figure out what route, or combinations of routes to take to get the required time off. I am lucky to have a great boss that helps come up with compromise when stuff comes up.

Best of luck!

ercchry
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
really depends.

my parents both get away with it. both have 30+ years experience in their fields. both professionals.

for my mom: when she was hired on it was discussed that she would be doing it in the interview

for my dad: well, he is a consultant... so... just works whatever he wants whenever he wants

GS430
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Vicious circle.

Big company--> better chance of taking a longer leave, because someone can cover for you.

Someone covering for you--> you're easily replaced.

:poosie:

Xtrema
01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GS430
Vicious circle.

Big company--> better chance of taking a longer leave, because someone can cover for you.

Someone covering for you--> you're easily replaced.

:poosie:

Exactly it. Some companies do promise you same pay grade and similar job when you return, but if you are trying to climb any type of corporate ladder, you will be held back.

Although, I have seen during mass layoffs, people on leave are usually first to go since they are not around to know the axe is coming to escape it (except medical or maternal leaves).

holden
01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Depends on your line of work I think. If you have daily or weekly tasks that need to get completed for others to do their work, it might be tough.

I'm an engineer and my work is mainly project based. I took 4 weeks of unpaid leave in my 3rd year at the company to go overseas and I haven't noticed it affecting my career growth at all. I just make sure I give my manger(s) enough heads up and they can adjust project schedules accordingly.

My direct manager takes 4-5 weeks off every year to go back to his home country. He plans ahead and has another manager cover up for the odd call from a customer, etc.

03ozwhip
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
i think you have to have some serious reliability/responsibility/priority issues in your life. if you want to take that amount of time off outside of the alotted holidays you are allowed, be your own boss.

if you are working for someone, be prepared for this to never happen.

edit: to the people saying its stupid to take time off wiTH YOUR ALOTTED HOLIDAYS THAT YOU EARNED, go work for Ashu Solo how about.

HiTempguy1
01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i think you have to have some serious reliability/responsibility/priority issues in your life. if you want to take that amount of time off outside of the alotted holidays you are allowed, be your own boss.

Funny, I was telling my parents that a fellow co-worker (EIT for almost 5 years) was trying to get the 2 summer months off to spend with his wife who is a teacher. No dice, but they would let him take a month off.

I think people with your line of thinking have not caught up with the times yet. I hear and see people do this a lot. Yes, it probably is a good idea to get some form of a working relationship going with the company over a period of X years, but if you've been somewhere 3+ years, it never hurts to ask. Surprisingly enough, I view myself as a commodity. A company, based on our arrangements, utilizes my services. Sometimes, that arrangement could include screwing off for 4 weeks, but obviously that would be planned a year in advance, people would be there to cover, I'd have access to work email, etc etc.

At the same time, I'd hate to work with someone who got 8 weeks of vacation a year and only used 3. Can you say kiss ass?

03ozwhip
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
my line of thinking? you have 4 weeks of holidays a year, that is alotted to you, take those 4 weeks. you want anotehr 4 weeks unpaid? sure, go work somewhere else if you want to take a month off for whatever reason it is.

my point is, you are alooted a cerain amount, i WILL take that certain amount every year without a doubt, i MAY even ask for an extra week, MAYBE 2 of unpaid and at my company, im sure i will get clearance, ask for an extra month, that wont happen, i dont know of anywhere that will.

otherwise, people will go work with SILLYSOD for a month, make a shit load of money and go back to work, you dont think companies think about this type of shit? i dont care what type of worker you are, if you are asking for that much unpaid time off, it better be a really good excuse, not to sit around and work on your house.

ercchry
01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
if you are in a position where its a better deal for you to take time without pay to work on your own home instead of hiring someone... ya probably have no right to ask for that much time off in a row :rofl:

msommers
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Extended time away from the office is usually frowned upon. Whether they say that up front or you don't get a raise, bonuses etc it'll catch up with you. It is THE reason why I'm not ready to go into the office, time off to travel is just too important to me. I can see the other side of the fence and for a boss, it would be difficult giving someone 2 months off every year without considering letting them go no matter how important they are.

I'm with HiTempguy1, if you want to take a bunch of time off, be your own boss. It's not like you can work 10 months, go on holidays for 2 and then hope to land a job a month from getting back, year and after year.

Gainsbarre
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Companies need reliable professionals – an employee who disappears for 4+ weeks at a time and is inaccessible during that time away is not reliable and will be passed over for raises/promotions. You’re also doing a disservice to your colleagues if you’re gone for that length of time (and unreachable), and if you’re not inconveniencing your colleagues during lengthy periods away from work you’re disposable/replaceable.

03ozwhip
01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
^^not if they are giving you the time off because it was earned. its not like the person is just taking time off because theyre playing hooky or to work on their house and have the time off without pay.

its paid, EARNED time off that i disagree with you on. i think its bullshit that you are even saying that if i earned the time off, i cant take it because it puts you in a bad spot. you sound like a manager of the Nike Corporation, China division, is that who #2 works for?

BlackArcher101
01-03-2013, 09:48 PM
No one is saying you can't take it, but some (not sure how many) companies give a max duration of a vacation block. At my company I believe it is 2 or 3 weeks. If you want to go longer, you have no option other than quitting. It just strains the rest of the staff and then the customer as well. Feel free to use the earned time off, but don't forget it's the company that has the last say as to when you take it.

Go4Long
01-04-2013, 05:24 AM
We have some people that work the position that I'm in here at work that get the equivelant of 11 weeks a year of paid vacation. They're required to spread it out though. Not just fuck off from November - February.

I'm with the other people that have said it, in today's reality of downsizing and cost cutting, if the company can do without you for two months, they can probably just do without you.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2013, 07:03 AM
11 weeks???!? Niiice. I thought I had it good with about eight. Although, I guess I can "buy" two, so I'm getting close to that.

M.alex
01-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Companies need reliable professionals – an employee who disappears for 4+ weeks at a time and is inaccessible during that time away is not reliable and will be passed over for raises/promotions. You’re also doing a disservice to your colleagues if you’re gone for that length of time (and unreachable), and if you’re not inconveniencing your colleagues during lengthy periods away from work you’re disposable/replaceable.

What would be your thoughts about an individual who doesn't start working until 10, shows up at the office at 1.30, and takes 1-2days off/week randomly every week? :confused:

lasimmon
01-05-2013, 02:16 AM

codetrap
01-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Gainsbarre
01-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

What would be your thoughts about an individual who doesn't start working until 10, shows up at the office at 1.30, and takes 1-2days off/week randomly every week? :confused:

(you left out the number of hours worked in a typical month :D)... I say that's somebody who is carrying their office on their shoulders and is worthy of a raise :D

M.alex
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM

(you left out the number of hours worked in a typical month :D)... I say that's somebody who is carrying their office on their shoulders and is worthy of a raise :D

:rofl:

msommers
09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Bumping this thread, even though I responded to it.

I'm seriously starting to think about getting a job downtown but the time-off is really holding me back because I love to travel. As a junior at most O&G companies, is taking 3 weeks off (paid or not it doesn't matter) going to happen, year after year? I know most Jr's get about 3 weeks + flex days but I'm just not the person to be able to go somewhere for a week and then head back to work so it would likely be all in one go.

I've talked to a few Jr's and they said no way in hell they'd be able to get 3 weeks off straight. But my parents are adamant that it's not that big of deal and they're the ones with more experience.

So specifically for a Jr, what's reasonable or expected?

Sugarphreak
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM

leftwing
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Hard to answer your question because all bosses/companies are different.

We actually just had a meeting at work about this last week. In regards to taking unpaid time off, you would think it wouldn't matter because your not getting paid so who cares right? Well one point brought up in our meeting was the commitment to your job if you are taking so much unpaid time off. Our seniors/managers/VP's didn't really like it, and I would say that my company is super flexible and lenient on days off.

As for taking paid time off, from my experience (not a lot, im a junior) its fine, your earned the days off so you can take them any way you choose. Although my company requires 8 weeks notice if you are going to be taking more than 2 consecutive weeks off.

I would say it would be rare for a new employee, especially a junior to take his full 3 weeks holidays within his first 6 months of employment (unless previously agreed upon).

blitz
09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
3 weeks should be ok at most places Matt, as long as it's not during a busy time at work (rigs actively drilling, prog's needing to go out, etc) and you give plenty of notice. I personally wouldn't do it in the first year though, and I wouldn't ask for unpaid leave.

kaput
09-06-2013, 02:36 PM

ExtraSlow
09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Three weeks off isn't a big deal for the junior people who work at my company. If that's how they choose to use thier vacation time, and they work it around the needs of the business, no problem.

In my line of work, we are busy in the winter, so those three weeks better be between April and October.

Getting a new job every few years is a terrible idea. it's usually much harder to get a job if you don't currently have one, and if I saw a ten year guy who had worked at five companies, I wouldn't even want to interview them. Actually, my HR guy would screen out your resume before I even saw it. 60% of resumes don't even make it to my desk, and it's shit like this that the HR guys love to reject people for.

msommers
09-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah changing jobs that frequently is something I'm not a fan of. I think every job I've had has been a minimum 2 years, going back to working at Coop lol; worked for the government for 4 years and now in the field for 3.