PDA

View Full Version : Importing JDM to USA questions

97luder
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
just wondering what the "rules" are for importing a car from japan into the US?

i know for importing into canada it has to be 15 years or older

every where i keep looking is saying 25 years from the US?

if this is true how are there so many cars that are not 25 years old down there? what are the loop holes

any good loop holes for us in canada?

rage2
01-03-2013, 12:34 AM
25 years or older, cars federalized for Canada (sold new in Canada), or it's on the show and display list. See list here:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/sdlist040109.pdf

ColoDano
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
There are also some people that bring in cars that had a US equivalent for the same year, although they are supposed to be converted to full US spec.

The one example that come to mind fast is RHD Subaru Legacy wagons, used as Postal delivery vehicles, generally in rural areas.

Many of the more "desirable" JDM cars such as all non-Motorex Skylines, are there illegally, and have been subject to federal confiscation and destroyed.

there are also people who bring in cars as "parts" and register them under a US cars VIN, nicely illegal.

rage2
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Motorex skylines (well, R32s and R34s) were deemed illegal after the Motorex raid. The ones that are still there are slowly being hunted down by Homeland Security, seized, and sold as parts. Messy situation down there.

thetransporter
01-05-2013, 02:06 AM
I did sell my Soarer on eBay to a US buyer . I even helped him insure it with Progressive.

Contact Shoab@Jdm Source would know more about this matter.

ColoDano
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Motorex skylines (well, R32s and R34s) were deemed illegal after the Motorex raid. The ones that are still there are slowly being hunted down by Homeland Security, seized, and sold as parts. Messy situation down there.

Interesting, last I had heard they "grandfathered" all of the Motorex cars in that had the NHTSA bond paperwork, but were going after the owners of Motorex for tax fraud etc.

I have an aquaintance with a Motorex r33, and he has had no issues whatsoever, including having his cars status posted all over the net, as he was thinking of selling last year.

The one that I do know had issues was "Big Bird" as the owner registered it in a state other than where he had the car avoid taxes or something, and it was impounded to be crushed. That situation was a state thing thought, not federal.