PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Road Rage Thread

thetransporter
01-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Hi!

I don't know if a general Calgary Road Rage discussion exists, but I did find a little bit from 2003..

Anyway - yes we all get upset behind the wheel and we just have to go our away and can not stop to punch other drivers.

I do not like how many drivers on roads like Memorial Drive in the 80km/h zone do 40-60 in dry, conditions, not even during heavy traffic (In the left lane of course) but I just live with it - I did cause a driver to give a gesture after he stopped, right here (https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=51.049028,-114.018919&spn=0.001297,0.003661&sll=51.049368,-114.019957&sspn=0.001297,0.003661&geocode=FZX-CgMdZw4z-SE_vwnnATWuwiklL9nf6W9xUzE_vwnnATWuwg%3BFWryCgMdtDQ0-Q&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=19&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.049124,-114.019093&panoid=VdFhLCpBDvAMtVppv0rzNg&cbp=12,210.8,,0,0) "yielding" to WB traffic.

That was 10 years ago. I still see the same vehicles do that over and over again.

Share your stories!

21DNSMybt8g

AU Road Rage News Story (Notice the Calgarians)
td6MAx2kijs

slinkie
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Yea that deerfoot south to memorial west is so scary. When I'm on memorial WB and people are coming on from deerfoot, I always stay way back because they always seem to think their lane ends and they just pop over to the 2nd right hand lane without signalling or shoulder checking.

hope this link works

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.037238,-114.016714&spn=0.005181,0.013937&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.037645,-114.017362&panoid=Z-_ulLze3UmAgiG3f8My8Q&cbp=12,79.18,,0,8.73&z=17

Anyway, my most hated intersection is easily this one, merging onto 17ave SE east bound right where Blackfoot becomes 17th. From 19th street (the little road between the two gas stations that connects 9th ave and 17SE)

It seems like every time I drive through here, the person "merging" in front of me comes to a complete stop, which makes me rage every time :banghead:

But my only real "road rage" incident was at the same intersection, 17th traffic was flowing at about 65kph, so I get to merge on and accelerate a little, and this can be a fun corner :clap:

Some 50-ish guy in a truck behind me seems to be making a space for me, so I quickly get up to speed in my ending lane, and then jump in with no problems

Then he starts high beaming me and tailing me hard, I realize he thinks I had a yield and that I cut him off, I guess the huge orange MERGE diamonds didn't tip him off.

He gets beside me and rolls the window down and starts flipping me off and freaking out.

So stupidly I threw my head back in a super exaggerated way and laugh at him.

Then on the bridge over deerfoot, he SWERVES at me trying to force me to rear end him or run me into the cement barrier, I'm not sure what he was shooting for. My car had no ABS so i came to a screeching halt like some kind of retard.

By this point im expecting him to jump out of the truck or something, but he just keeps driving awayand hand gesturing at me and turns at the next right.

His truck was just some old 80s 2wd thing, probably worth about $300. I was so shocked that someone would actually do that. This is in an old corolla so its basically like a tin can, I dont know if I could have been killed at those slow speeds but both our vehicles would easily have been totalled.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Disoblige
01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I still think downtown has worse road rage moments.

For example:

1) http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=354944

2) How about on Center St and 4th avenue intersection? The sign at the lights on Center St. is an ARROW pointing STRAIGHT with a green circle and so many cars try to turn left onto 4th Ave, stalling traffic. RETARDED.

3) Or how about 6th Ave and 8th St intersection? Retards trying to turn left on the 2nd lane from 6th onto 8th, stalling rush hour traffic.

4) Retards who don't know how to lane change in rush hour traffic, causing their car to block 2 lanes for half a block because they don't know how to operate their steering wheel.

/rage

G-ZUS
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Last year while driving on 16th Ave and 6 St NE. I was going the speed limit and had to stop for a red light. Some fob douche behind me in a black Golf was not paying much attention to the road and had to slam on his brakes and swerve into the turn lane to avoid rear ending me. He pulled up to me and starts swearing at me and telling me to learn how to drive. I laughed it off and he tells me to pull over and he wants to fight me. You never know what people are packing in their vehicles so I just drove off as the light turned green. He followed me for a good 10 minutes, I pulled up into a parking lot to meet up with some friends and he just glared at me and drove off. :rofl:

dubhead
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
Yea that deerfoot south to memorial west is so scary. When I'm on memorial WB and people are coming on from deerfoot, I always stay way back because they always seem to think their lane ends and they just pop over to the 2nd right hand lane without signalling or shoulder checking.

I also notice this to be a very common occurrence there.

My biggest pet peeve though is tailgaters especially because I'm usually driving a little over to begin with. Do they really think I'm going to get out of the fast lane into a lane of cars going 20 under the speed limit when I'm doing 10 or 20 over?? What tailgaters don't realize is that I can be a much bigger douche than them and when I come up on somebody who's doing the speed limit I'll match that speed. Then since they're so close behind me I get to enjoy watching how angry they get back there.

Kloubek
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
^ While I agree you shouldn't have to slow down dramatically and slap on your brakes to get into the right lane, you should be aware the intention of the left lane is for passing... not for cruising.

Disoblige
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by dubhead

My biggest pet peeve though is tailgaters especially because I'm usually driving a little over to begin with. Do they really think I'm going to get out of the fast lane into a lane of cars going 20 under the speed limit when I'm doing 10 or 20 over?? What tailgaters don't realize is that I can be a much bigger douche than them and when I come up on somebody who's doing the speed limit I'll match that speed. Then since they're so close behind me I get to enjoy watching how angry they get back there.
dubhead, there is no reason for them to tailgate you if you are already passing all those "10-20 cars" going slower than you. You're in the fast lane and you're passing cars, so you're fine.

It's only really when you're perfectly able to move right and you don't that pisses people off.

Boosted131
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
If you don't swear while you're driving in Calgary then you're not paying attention to the idiots . It's hard to even drive 10 minutes downtown without getting a bit mad

FullFledgedYYC
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
If you don't swear while you're driving in Calgary then you're not paying attention to the idiots . It's hard to even drive 10 minutes downtown without getting a bit mad

Truth. Even the mighty Rage2 swears, as evidenced in one of his dashcam videos. The general skill level and awareness level of drivers in Calgary is probably the most frustrating thing in my entire life. Sad? Maybe. Or maybe I just have a really good life.

403Gemini
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Glenmore between 14th st & crowchild... when I went to college (2001-2005) and that road was under disastrous construction - it flowed better. What the HELL is up with everybody in this 200-500 meter stretch?! It literally goes down to a crawl, and if you're lucky enough to sneak into the far left lane, you will only be able to go about 40-50 km/h because you're waiting for somebody in the adjacent lane to scoot over out of frustration from the sheer gridlock. So much for it to be "free flowing" like they promised after the construction was finished...

Even google maps shows the retarded congestion that happens mid day

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=14+st+glenmore&hl=en&ll=50.994928,-114.097547&spn=0.002046,0.003819&sll=51.013117,-114.088499&sspn=0.520129,0.977783&hnear=14+St+SW,+Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=50.994928,-114.097547&panoid=L1LbSDGtOkvH2hSGrorWPg&cbp=12,289.77,,0,2.02

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=14+st+glenmore&hl=en&ll=50.996066,-114.100718&spn=0.002032,0.003819&sll=51.013117,-114.088499&sspn=0.520129,0.977783&hnear=14+St+SW,+Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&t=m&layer=c&cbll=50.996066,-114.100718&panoid=Qx6bB6A8OJqVDrNOLgMQSQ&cbp=12,297.1,,0,4.67&z=18

FullFledgedYYC
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Glenmore between 14th st & crowchild... when I went to college (2001-2005) and that road was under disastrous construction - it flowed better. What the HELL is up with everybody in this 200-500 meter stretch?! It literally goes down to a crawl, and if you're lucky enough to sneak into the far left lane, you will only be able to go about 40-50 km/h because you're waiting for somebody in the adjacent lane to scoot over out of frustration from the sheer gridlock. So much for it to be "free flowing" like they promised after the construction was finished...

Man, they could build a 10 lane road on every single stretch of road in Calgary, and still it would not move. Until people are taught and practice proper merging, lane changing, and lane discipline, our traffic will forever suck.

Kramerica
01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
It boils down to a complete lack of awareness from calgary drivers. I've lost count of the number of times I'm in my little VW with a huge SUV right beside me and then the SUV starts to signal and move into my lane and only backs off when I start laying on my horn. How do you not know there is a car right beside you?

Lex350
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Stoney Trail east bound in the morning. It doesn't matter how fast you are going in the left lane or that you are passing people with ease.....there is always someone (usually in a pick-up - most oftern Dodge) that wants to go another 20-30kms/hr faster than you. These road ragers will give you exactly 1 second to gt out of their way before they are half way up your ass.

This is when I start having fun with them.

Lex350
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

Man, they could build a 10 lane road on every single stretch of road in Calgary, and still it would not move. Until people are taught and practice proper merging, lane changing, and lane discipline, our traffic will forever suck.

MY worst pet peeve is people merging onto a road at about 20 under the posted limit. It causes trouble for everyone around them. I guess they don't teach merging in diving school.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

MY worst pet peeve is people merging onto a road at about 20 under the posted limit. It causes trouble for everyone around them. I guess they don't teach merging in diving school.

The worst is lanes that are merges onto Deerfoot but also exit lanes to the following road. I can't count the number of times I've been trying to merge onto SB Deerfoot from 64th and get stuck behind some jackhole doing 60 in the merge lane because he's going to McKnight and isn't getting onto Deerfoot at all.

Of course, people doing 60 or 70 and actually merging onto Deerfoot at that speed aren't exactly uncommon either.

Hallowed_point
01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
A stand out for me is that intersection on Richmond Road & 37th St S.W. (Esso/Husky on either side.)

The right lane narrow's into one lane immediately after the intersection and driver's ALWAYS try and either race you off the light to cut you off or change lanes in the intersection.

I'm not a total dick, if they have their signal on and don't try and cut me off in the intersection then I'm more then happy to let them in.

If I think they are going to try and race me, I put the pedal down and block the fuckers out :burnout:

TheStigz
01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
A stand out for me is that intersection on Richmond Road & 37th St S.W. (Esso/Husky on either side.)

The right lane narrow's into one lane immediately after the intersection and driver's ALWAYS try and either race you off the light to cut you off or change lanes in the intersection.

I'm not a total dick, if they have their signal on and don't try and cut me off in the intersection then I'm more then happy to let them in.

If I think they are going to try and race me, I put the pedal down and block the fuckers out :burnout:

I have a suprise for you...
Next time i see do that to anyone on that road.

You almost caused an accident. :banghead:

Hallowed_point
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Really? Actually, if they change lanes in the intersection they would be %100 at fault. Like I said, if they have their signal on & no revving vtec I have no problem with letting a couple cars in front of me :dunno:

dubhead
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^ While I agree you shouldn't have to slow down dramatically and slap on your brakes to get into the right lane, you should be aware the intention of the left lane is for passing... not for cruising.

I agree but they don't have to get right on my ass for me to realize they're back there and I will get over when I have room or finish passing people. However when they feel the need to get right on my bumper or worse even flash their lights at me well they are getting the old Alberta blockade for sure.

403Gemini
01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The worst is lanes that are merges onto Deerfoot but also exit lanes to the following road. I can't count the number of times I've been trying to merge onto SB Deerfoot from 64th and get stuck behind some jackhole doing 60 in the merge lane because he's going to McKnight and isn't getting onto Deerfoot at all.

Of course, people doing 60 or 70 and actually merging onto Deerfoot at that speed aren't exactly uncommon either.

UGH YES!

When I leave downtown to go on southbound Deerfoot and exit using memorial, 90% of the time (no exaggeration ) I am stuck behind somebody going a modest 50-60 km/h ... I don't get it, it's a good stretch of road - PUT YOUR GOD DAMN FOOT DOWN AND ACCELERATE!

Hallowed_point
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Stopping at yield signs when the driver can clearly see any possible oncoming traffic :banghead: I notice that quite a lot.

Kramerica
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Deer foot merging is a sad state of affairs. it's pretty sad when I'm driving a car that had 90 hp when it left the factor and I have to slow down to 80 so somebody in a brand new car can merge. There is no excuse for not going 100 by the time you're able to merge, there is plenty of space to get up to speed before its time to merge.

Canucks3322
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Does this make you feel happy for day? Gives your life meaning to show one of the 1000s of otger douches in this city whose boss? Are u that motorcycle guy, scatcat or whatver his name is?...moron.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Does this make you feel happy for day? Gives your life meaning to show one of the 1000s of otger douches in this city whose boss? Are u that motorcycle guy, scatcat or whatver his name is?...moron.

LOL everybodys so mad, I do the same thing if I know someone is in the right lane and just trying to get in front of everyone waiting patiently in the two left lanes.

403Gemini
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Another pet peeve is people not knowing where they're going*

(*not paying attention).

I hate seeing cars cut 3 lanes off because they all of a sudden think "OOOOPS!! There is my exit!!" Guess what dickwad, you weren't paying attention, so accept you're going to arrive 5 minutes later than you expected and take the next exit and loop back. Don't endanger a bunch of people or kick up gravel because you're crossing solid lines where all of the rocks have built up just to make your exit.

Also, generally just not being aware - This is another trouble spot in shawnessy where I see SOOOO many rear-ending accidents.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=50.913343,-114.0698&spn=0.008144,0.015278&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.913474,-114.069793&panoid=brLbc5KpFtJYG75awQ4ymQ&cbp=12,203.34,,0,0.48

People don't pay attention (or just don't realize...) when those lights go green and are solid green for the traffic going through, that means they don't have to yield when in the right lane and can go through since there is no possible way for traffic to interfere.

So many accelerate then slam on their brakes to check for traffic that cannot go through.

I understand late at night if it's empty and there are few cars around that somebody may blow through a red light, but during rush hours, those cars going straight through act as a shield/barrier so nobody is moving through that intersection to hit you.

thetransporter
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I would hope the Police would do something about motorists who stop in merge lanes.

Tik-Tok
01-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

LOL everybodys so mad, I do the same thing if I know someone is in the right lane and just trying to get in front of everyone waiting patiently in the two left lanes.

Fucking rights. Just shy of my work, there's a dual left turning lane, and when you do turn left, there's a Tim Hortons immediately to the right. SO many fucking people get into the left lane of the dual left turning lanes, then try to merge over right away to get coffee.

Fuck those people. I match their speed exactly so they can't get over and have to turn around up ahead.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

On a similar note in this area, this always makes my day, when I'm going SB Deerfoot onto WB Mcknight. I never mind having to go to 32nd, just to fuck with the idiots who don't pay attention to the yield sign.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/lolz_zpsb914ff8f.png

thetransporter
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
and if she ever meets up with you she will accuse of driving aggressive.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Fucking rights. Just shy of my work, there's a dual left turning lane, and when you do turn left, there's a Tim Hortons immediately to the right. SO many fucking people get into the left lane of the dual left turning lanes, then try to merge over right away to get coffee.

Fuck those people. I match their speed exactly so they can't get over and have to turn around up ahead.

On a similar note in this area, this always makes my day, when I'm going SB Deerfoot onto WB Mcknight. I never mind having to go to 32nd, just to fuck with the idiots who don't pay attention to the yield sign.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/lolz_zpsb914ff8f.png

ryder_23
01-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Another pet peeve is people not knowing where they're going*

(*not paying attention).

:werd: I feel GPS has made this worst. People always fucking around with it, and just staring at it not paying a sliver of attention to whats going on around them. Atleast with maps a passenger would help them instead of let them watch the gps, or maybe plan the route a bit better. Seen less people bust out a map while driving solo back in the day, then more shit from GPS units.

cloud7
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
A lot of drivers are a little road rage, which I don't think is a big problem as long as they do not try to endanger my safety. I have experienced incidents where people have tried to physically run me off the road by trying to hit me with their vehicles for stupid little things. Somehow these seriously road raged people saw the need to attempt escalate the situation 10 fold and try to cause a crash. These are the most dangerous road ragers.

Zero102
01-05-2013, 12:57 AM

Judging from the previous responses I guess I'm in the minority here, but, if there are 2 lanes up to an intersection and one lane ends immediately on the other side, anybody who pulls up in that lane is just being a fucking moron.

I get it if traffic is heavy and we were just trying to get more cars through the intersection, and when that is happening I am generally way too nice to those people, but when I'm the only person in line and you pull up on my right you're an asshole. Lots of people take those lanes to try to jump ahead in traffic and whenever I spot those people I don't leave space for them because they obviously don't give a shit about me.

One of my biggest piss-offs lately is the must turn right lane on Royal Birch Blvd Northbound at Royal Oak Drive. There are 2 lanes that used to be straight-through, as of early 2011 the right hand lane is a must turn right lane and only the left lane goes straight through. There are 2 signs posted before the intersection and lots of warning signs were posted when the change was made. Still at least once a week I get some asshat in a mercedes/audi/bmw that will pull up on my right and go straight through a must turn right lane just to get ahead of me. These same fucking idiots generally either slow to a complete crawl or stop in the free flow lane entering onto country hills which is :nut: I took dashcam video of a few people doing this to the police and was basically told to get a real job.

Although, if you want insanity, I noticed in last month's community newsletter they are considering a program whereby volunteers will badge their cars and act as "moving speed bumps" to calm traffic in the area when they feel somebody is driving too quickly. I really want to see what happens when these do-gooders meet the really aggressive drivers around here :devil:

Zero102
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by cloud7
A lot of drivers are a little road rage, which I don't think is a big problem as long as they do not try to endanger my safety. I have experienced incidents where people have tried to physically run me off the road by trying to hit me with their vehicles for stupid little things. Somehow these seriously road raged people saw the need to attempt escalate the situation 10 fold and try to cause a crash. These are the most dangerous road ragers.

Couldn't agree more, I had an incident with an old man in an XKR a week ago over something like this. The XKR had turned right onto a 2-lane road with an extra lane being created for turning right, I turned left onto the same road and was proceeding along at between 36 and 42km/hr (in a 50 zone, and I have the dashcam footage to prove it) while he had left the straight-through lane and was exiting onto the side road. As I approached his back corner he swerved out in front of me and piled on the brakes to try to force a crash. Unfortuntely for him the roads were slippery and his XKR on summer tires took ~50m to stop, while my van on studded winters stopped in half the distance (despite me going ~42km/hr and him going 20). After stopping I pulled up beside him because he was waving his arms frantically, honking and screaming at me, and he proceeded to bitch me out for being "fucked up" and being an "aggressive asshole" when all he was allegedly trying to do was "go for a nice drive" with his granddaughter. All I had done was attempt to drive by him in a DIFFERENT LANE :dunno: I was never within 20m of his back end in the same lane as him!

I said nothing back, just let him rant and drive off, then followed him for a couple minutes because fuck, he was going the same way I was. While I followed him (at a very very safe distance because he was obviously unstable) he proceeded to drive 65-70km/hr in a 50 zone beside a school and busy tobogganing hill, run 2 stop signs, failed to yield right of way to pedestrians that were ~10m off the curb into the roadway in a crosswalk, and drive over 50km/hr in a playground zone. Again, I stopped at all of the stop signs and followed well back at all times, I never forced him to do any of these things.

Buster
01-05-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm on the other side of the argument on two lanes of traffic at a light.

If there are two lanes of traffic, fill them up, even if it merges down to one lane after the light. If people did this systematically, it would be much more efficient. Lights are the bottleneck more so than the merge after the light. Get as many people through the light as possible. If people can calmly zipper after the light, then all is well. It's a dumb idea for people to line up in the left lane just to be polite. If there is a car in the left lane in these situations, I always pull over into the right lane, even if there are only two of us. I then simply merge in behind the guy who was there first in the left lane once we get through the intersection.

(Ok, sometimes I go Full Douche, and let 'er rip and go in front. But that's only on occasion).

The problem with a couple of people lining up in the left left, and leaving the right lane open is that eventually, someone should go into the right lane for the reasons listed above, and then they are branded as douchey cheaters.

DustanS
01-05-2013, 01:18 AM

Buster
01-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Most of the public are stupid and have very little going for them in life. Ergo, most drivers are stupid and have very little going for them in life.

As a result, I have much more to lose than they do in almost all situations, road rage, or otherwise. With that in mind, I tend to avoid confrontation if at all possible. Best to avoid people who don't have as much to lose as you do.

thetransporter
01-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Stoney Trail east bound in the morning. It doesn't matter how fast you are going in the left lane or that you are passing people with ease.....there is always someone (usually in a pick-up - most oftern Dodge) that wants to go another 20-30kms/hr faster than you. These road ragers will give you exactly 1 second to gt out of their way before they are half way up your ass.

This is when I start having fun with them.

my friends tibor and abdul always claimed they noticed those types of pick up drivers around Calgary...

Zero102
01-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Buster
Most of the public are stupid and have very little going for them in life. Ergo, most drivers are stupid and have very little going for them in life.

As a result, I have much more to lose than they do in almost all situations, road rage, or otherwise. With that in mind, I tend to avoid confrontation if at all possible. Best to avoid people who don't have as much to lose as you do.

Agreed, I had a guy go full on rage on me back in 2010, he tried to swerve into me once and I dodged him, then later when I was slowing for a turn he rammed me from behind and scraped down the entire side of my car then ran. I had to chase him for over 20 minutes until he finally pulled over to let his girlfriend off at work. This is anecdotal, but the fucker was a complete deadbeat and had absolutely nothing going for him in life (except that at least he did have valid insurance). Him and his girlfriend worked random minimum wage jobs, they rented their (super super shitty) townhome and he drove a 1994 pontiac grand am with damage all over it.

**EDIT** Oh yeah, and he was 34 :dunno:

thetransporter
01-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I once seen a Public Library SUV do the same thing......

89s1
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter

I once seen a Public Library SUV do the same thing......

Speaking of libraries, it appears you need to spend more time in there.

Canucks3322
01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
People like DustanS are part of the problem and he doesnt even realize it...one person with anger management problems meeting another with anger management problems...I'd hate to make mistake while driving in front of him:rolleyes: :rolleyes:how much you wanna bet he goes berserk reading this post and proceeds to go ethug on me...

SOAB
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
In my 18 years of driving, i noticed a trend in road rage incidents that i hear about. the people that have it happen to them are usually the culprits that did something wrong and are totally oblivious to that fact yet they blame it on the other driver.

i drive the deerfoot every day. i have never been purposely swerved at. never had a fight on the side of the road.

if i'm doing 120kph in the left lane and somebody is tailgating me when there is nobody in front of me, guess what i do. i move the fuck over cause he's trying to PASS ME.

if i make a lane change and somebody highbeams me and honks at me, i probably fucked up and cut them off.

people usually don't just rage for no reason, even if they are behind the wheel.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Ive had a few road rage incidents (not me raging just other people) and I think the worst was when I was cut off on Deerfoot by a minivan full of burly looking dudes and I honked, and they started trying to run me off the road and pelted my car with rotten eggs which froze immediately in -20 degree weather. Fucking dangerous and I ended up making a last minute dangerous exit as soon as I could to make sure they couldn't follow me, I think the van had Montana plates on it.

Kramerica
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
In my 18 years of driving, i noticed a trend in road rage incidents that i hear about. the people that have it happen to them are usually the culprits that did something wrong and are totally oblivious to that fact yet they blame it on the other driver.

I agree, but people pull some stupid shit while I'm driving every day and I don't try to run them off the road.

I don't know what I did, but one time going south on deerfoot just before anderson some guy cut over three lanes and slammed on the brakes trying to get me to rear end him before moving back over to make the anderson turn off. Did I do something to piss him off? probably, but I highly doubt whatever I did warranted causing an accident over.

SOAB
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
yeah, just because you make a mistake behind the wheel does not give the other person permission to run you off the road. what i was saying is that the person getting raged on is usually not innocent like the try to make it sound.

my biggest pet peeve is getting tailgated while i'm driving in the slow lane. i will brake check someone for doing that.

RY213
01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Any driver that purposely swerves into another driver as a result of road rage needs to have their ass kicked. There is rage where you swear at each other and give the finger (which everybody has done at some point) and then there is endangering someone by trying to run them off the road which is totally not cool.

Canucks3322
01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by RY213
Any driver that purposely swerves into another driver as a result of road rage needs to have their ass kicked. There is rage where you swear at each other and give the finger (which everybody has done at some point) and then there is endangering someone by trying to run them off the road which is totally not cool.

The point is is that there are people like this all over the city...I tell my gf this because she has the same attitude as some of you, this whole "don't take shit from anyone" attitude...this attitude will get you into a lot of NEEDLESS trouble in life.......even if you yell back or give the finger back you are just aggraivating them and making things worse and escalating the situation and in those cases, you are no better than them and should get anger management...I grew up in Vancouver and there are tons of people there who won't hesitate to pull out a gun and shoot you, and it has happened there..it's just not worth it, so what if your pride is hurt for a few minutes??......if I make a mistake driving and piss off one of these people I wave sorry and get out of their way, if they want to continue to tail me and lay on the horn, I let them, then I take a deep breathe and move on with my day while I smile inside knowing this guy is all worked up and will probably die early of a heart attack one day soon if he doesn't deal with his issues. It's just not worth it, driving is about getting places, not about "steppin up" and facing down anyone who is threatening your manhood because they got mad and honked at you or pulled up in the lane beside you to get ahead at the light:rolleyes:

firebane
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm not huge on road rage and most times I won't acknowledge those who are idiots on the road.

But the other day I was behind a guy who decided to stop where there was not a stop sign not even a yield sign so I politely honked at them to inform them to continue going.

Less than 10 feet down the road the same guy decides to cut me off and swerve across three lanes of traffic which again I honk my horn but what does this guy do... he stops and puts me in the line of fire to oncoming traffic with my girlfriend facing the oncoming traffic.

When he opened his door and started to tell me off yes I told him to piss off too because people people PURPOSELY in danger with no place to go is is simply not cool.

e.widling
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM

I ended up in the right lane of one of these (further up 37th st) by accident. Having never driven there before I was the only one in the right lane and everyone else was piled up in the left. Once I got to the lights I saw the sign. Buddy beside me saw I was driving a sports car and probably thought exactly what you though. Second the light turned green I thought I'd just pull ahead considering most people start relatively slowly but nope, guy floored it just to block me.

Moral of the story is people make mistakes (and road design sometimes blows as we all know). Don't always assume people are fucking up on purpose. I'm sure you make mistakes too and it'd be nice if people just shrugged it off sometimes instead of losing it.

That said I do honk daily to remind people if I think they did something wrong, but that's about it. Just "friendly" reminders because that's what I'd like if I fucked up.

Canucks3322
01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by e.widling

I ended up in the right lane of one of these (further up 37th st) by accident. Having never driven there before I was the only one in the right lane and everyone else was piled up in the left. Once I got to the lights I saw the sign. Buddy beside me saw I was driving a sports car and probably thought exactly what you though. Second the light turned green I thought I'd just pull ahead considering most people start relatively slowly but nope, guy floored it just to block me.

Moral of the story is people make mistakes (and road design sometimes blows as we all know). Don't always assume people are fucking up on purpose. I'm sure you make mistakes too and it'd be nice if people just shrugged it off sometimes instead of losing it.

That said I do honk daily to remind people if I think they did something wrong, but that's about it. Just "friendly" reminders because that's what I'd like if I fucked up.

This is what I meant to add too...I live in this neighborhood too and if you don't know, you end up in that lane...big f'n deal...but the moron who originally posted about blocking the other car, grow the fuck up...not everyone is out to fuck with you know....and god forbid another car gets to go ahead of you oh the humanity :rolleyes:

DustanS
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM

masoncgy
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
This thread is a good reminder of why I left Calgary and moved to a smaller centre. You all are slowly shortening your life expectancy just getting around the city each and everyday, getting your tempers flaring and pushing your stress levels to the max.

Is it worth it? lol. no.

whydontchathen
01-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Buster
01-05-2013, 01:38 PM

As I mentioned in my post above: you were the only one who did things right.

Those other guys were dummies for lining up 25 deep in the left lane, ensuring fewer cars get through the light.

Canucks3322
01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
This thread is a good reminder of why I left Calgary and moved to a smaller centre. You all are slowly shortening your life expectancy just getting around the city each and everyday, getting your tempers flaring and pushing your stress levels to the max.

Is it worth it? lol. no.

This is bang on...and I apologize to DustanS...I don't know the whole situation or you but that was just my first impression reading your story...

btimbit
01-05-2013, 02:07 PM

:werd: Biggest problem is when people don't know how to just let things go. Mistakes happen, and the biggest culprit, like you said, is road design.
It's unfortunate that in this town a short beep of the horn even as a friendly reminder, is apparently the most hateful thing you can do. Everyone I've honked at freaks out and usually flips me off.

max_boost
01-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn!

Yea people do dumb shit on the roads and I've accepted it. I just concentrate on how I drive and avoid them at all possible. No time for that stuff. Keep cool and stay calm, buddha styles. :bigpimp:

03ozwhip
01-05-2013, 05:16 PM
i have some fairly bad road rage, but only when people do dumb shit, like drive slow in the fast lane and dont move, stop at merges, dont yield at yields and almost drive into me, that kind of shit.

if its my fault and someone honks at me, ill give the sorry wave, if someone is honking at me for something that wasnt my fault, the good old fuck you finger comes out, as well as the dirty look and head shake when they go to pass me lol

there have been quite a few times ive gotten out of my car when people try and fuck with me, but 9 times out of 10, they will either just stay in their car and yell at me or just drive off as soon as i get out.

only one time did i get close to getting physical and im not even really sure why it didnt get physical because our noses were touching and i think we both gave up on who was gonna be the first one to throw something.

call me out on my behaviour, i dont give a fuck, i dont intentionaly go out and start things, but if someone wants to pull over and get out of their car over something then ill get out and face them and tell them what i think and HOPE it doesnt lead to anything, so far, all words, no fights.

HOWEVER, since ive had my kid(almost 4 years ago) i have calmed down quite a bit and i dont generally fuck around with this shit, because you never know what can happen, i want to be able to go home at the end of the day and dont want him to see that stuff when he is in the car.

last time it happened was after work one night when i was in the office and i was heading over to GOnSHO's house for the first time at about 1030 at night a few months ago. guy was tailgating me which i didnt care about, because i was just about to park, then started honking and flicking his lights at me, so i just parked in the middle of the road and got out, ya, he drove around me seriously though, i was slowing down to fucking park WITH MY SIGNAL LIGHT ON.

bourge73
01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
^^ You sound exactly like me lol.

Hallowed_point
01-07-2013, 01:07 PM

On second thought, I think this problem is moreso due to poor City road design...but still frustrating. :rofl:

thetransporter
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
damit again I had to stop again on Deerfoot SB/Memorial DR WB lane for someone to YEILD into the middle lane..

m10-power
01-09-2013, 12:59 AM
damit again I had to stop again on Deerfoot SB/Memorial DR WB lane for someone to YEILD into the middle lane..

Police should be able to give out a re-test required for the operators drivers license when caught failing to merge correctly. Most annoying driver error encountered far too often.

davidI
01-09-2013, 01:11 AM
I wish Canada would adopt Germany's system for driver permits. Yes, it's more time / cost to get your license, but I would assume they have less accidents and their roads are much less chaotic to drivfe on.

thetransporter
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I wish Canada would adopt Germany's system for driver permits. Yes, it's more time / cost to get your license, but I would assume they have less accidents and their roads are much less chaotic to drivfe on.

i agree but too many people drive intoxicated -

Canmorite
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM

I will lay on the horn until they move. I don't understand the 'must stop in yield lane' mentality.

403Gemini
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I will lay on the horn until they move. I don't understand the 'must stop in yield lane' mentality.

I agree, seems like more people stop at yield signs to make sure it's clear than actual stop signs

davidI
01-09-2013, 10:33 PM

i agree but too many people drive intoxicated -

In Germany?? I think DUIs are worse in Canada. They're extremely strict in Germany AFAIK.

Khyron
01-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Ugh I only drive 10km or so in a day, and going to work, some asshole in a van sat through the entire advance left turn light (onto EB Glenmore - not a small road) - and none of the cars between me and him would honk!

Then after work, going into Douglasdale, some chick sat at a red light in a dedicated right turn lane for almost an entire light cycle, totally open (I mean no cars for 2 mins because of an advance left on the other side). And again, no one honked. It's like no one wants to get anywhere...

thetransporter
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM

In Germany?? I think DUIs are worse in Canada. They're extremely strict in Germany AFAIK.

I meant Canada.

.. but now with everyone updating their status and posting to twitter they too are becoming hazard. I miss the days without FB/twitter shoved into our faces...

a little OT
For example - 2008 -
http://www.envisionauto.com/images/JAD/JAD-NS2693/Hat/Sun.JPG

botox
01-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm a pretty patient guy and if you are sitting at a green turn light picking your nose or texting someone I'll honk after a few seconds. Other than that I think I've honked probably just a handfull of times in my almost 20 years of driving which included a few years of full-time delivery jobs. Also after being to China a couple of times NOTHING bothers me. Well I will say in my head what an idiot or retard if someone does something stupid, but that's as far as it goes, drive on and life goes on.

heavyD
01-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Yeah. IMO there are way too many people driving on Calgary roads that simply aren't competent at driving or are too distraced by their phones. It's the real bad 25% of drivers that ruin it for everyone else and if you could get them off the road everyone would be safer.

Disoblige
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't think it's a bad thing to honk at all. Depends how you want it to sound. 2 quick honks sound friendlier than a long winded one.

revelations
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by botox
Also after being to VANCOUVER a couple of times NOTHING bothers me. Well I will say in my head what an idiot or retard if someone does something stupid, but that's as far as it goes, drive on and life goes on.

:werd:

I drive 50-100kms a day in non-rush hour traffic and the following annoyance list pales in comparison to what I witnessed in Vancouver after living there 13 years.

Quick acceleration from a red light (only to go sit at the next red light), but then dithering when it comes time to merge onto a freeway or major road.

Motorists unable to grasp the concept that you need more power to go UP a hill. This is why Crash Robe bridge is slow as people dont check their speeds.