PDA

View Full Version : do any snowboard shops have sales still?

03ozwhip
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
i have been retarded busy and havent been able to get into the city for any of the sales that have been going on. im looking for a new pair of boarding boots but dont want to spend alot.

any shops that anyone knows of that is still having sales on boots? or anyone on here that works in a shop that can help me out? TIA!

lilmira
01-05-2013, 01:57 PM
It might be tough this time of the year. If you know your size and the type of gear you are looking for, you may still find some last year models online for decent price.

Jeeper1986
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
sport check still had sale 3 days ago

heavyfuel
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Check out Royal on Edmonton Trail, super friendly and knowledgeable. Only problem is they won't carry the (IMHO) best damn snowboard boots money can buy, Salomon F-22's or Malamutes. In which case you'd wanna check out Abominable on Crowchild, where equally awesome folk and service can be found! Most of the time you can get a pretty good cash deal at smaller shops too. Sport Chek rarely carries the higher end stuff, and you can't haggle with cash there. Good luck!

98type_r
01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
You generally won't see a sale at the other shops until late February/early March

cam_wmh
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I've heard many people swear by different brands, but hearing, Salomon makes the best boots, well that's one I've never heard before.

I had a pair of F-24's, and snapped the cinch wire. That was in about '06, so take it for what you will.

Go to the Source. VANS, 32, Nike, DC. Those are your top boots. I'm a bit of a broken record on this one, but of all your equipment, boots should be purchased with the least consideration to cost.

heavyfuel
01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
I've heard many people swear by different brands, but hearing, Salomon makes the best boots, well that's one I've never heard before.

I had a pair of F-24's, and snapped the cinch wire. That was in about '06, so take it for what you will.

Go to the Source. VANS, 32, Nike, DC. Those are your top boots. I'm a bit of a broken record on this one, but of all your equipment, boots should be purchased with the least consideration to cost.

Salomon (and most ski brands who make snowboards as well) is a high quality proven brand that's been around for decades. IMO a company like 32 has nothing on them other than a bunch of cool kids who appeal to the demographics of the market and don't know better, getting paid to say their gear is the best. I am a size 13 but in a Salomon I easily fit into a 12.5, plus they're a very thin profile boot which means they're ideal for riders with big feet. I've had my F-22's for 4 seasons now and I have yet to snap a wire/lace. Of course they lack the "cool" factor that such brands like 32 and DC are known for. At 37 I couldn't give a fuck about whether or not my gear is "cool" lol All boils down to what you want and what works best for for you. To say they're the best boots might have been offside, I agree but for me they are the best I've had. But I would love to take some stereotypical Joe Cool snowboarder in a clown suit launching 80 footers without a helmet and put some Salomon boots on his feet without him knowing what brand they were, and see what the reaction would be once he found out he could tear it up all the same (if not better) on some "uncool" ski brand gear.

mazdavirgin
01-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Salomon (and most ski brands who make snowboards as well) is a high quality proven brand that's been around for decades. IMO a company like 32 has nothing on them other than a bunch of cool kids who appeal to the demographics of the market and don't know better, getting paid to say their gear is the best. I am a size 13 but in a Salomon I easily fit into a 12.5, plus they're a very thin profile boot which means they're ideal for riders with big feet. I've had my F-22's for 4 seasons now and I have yet to snap a wire/lace. Of course they lack the "cool" factor that such brands like 32 and DC are known for. At 37 I couldn't give a fuck about whether or not my gear is "cool" lol All boils down to what you want and what works best for for you. To say they're the best boots might have been offside, I agree but for me they are the best I've had. But I would love to take some stereotypical Joe Cool snowboarder in a clown suit launching 80 footers without a helmet and put some Salomon boots on his feet without him knowing what brand they were, and see what the reaction would be once he found out he could tear it up all the same (if not better) on some "uncool" ski brand gear.

The only ski brand that actually has a decent snowboarding line up is K2 which makes sense seeing as they started making boards around the time burton was first created. All the other ones are pretty much just jumping in late in the game trying to get a piece of the pie... Don't get me wrong thats great and all but it is pretty damn rich to suggest that Salomon as a high quality ski brand has any idea what the hell they are doing with snowboards. I don't see many skiers rocking out on lib tech skies...

Ive used air walk boots, k2 boots, dc boots, and now I am ridding a pair of lashed 32's. So far my favorite boots have been 32 and DC. 32 definitely has the edge when it comes to comfort and weight. The DC boots did better in terms of durability but less well in terms of footprint and comfort. I really don't get why you are bashing brands that started making boots back when the ski companies thought snowboarding was a "phase". Hell DC didn't used to be "cool" it used to be what you bought if you actually skated. In either case when I started snowboarding I was using sorel boots... Boots have come a long way since then and it sure was not thanks to ski companies which were too busy making boots that cost 2-3x the price of snowboard boots for the pinky out ski snobs. Thankfully some brands like line and armada actually get that skiing is no longer the sport of snobbery.

If you want a ski snob experience make sure to stop into ski west... Truly a hilarious experience.

heavyfuel
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

The only ski brand that actually has a decent snowboarding line up is K2 which makes sense seeing as they started making boards around the time burton was first created. All the other ones are pretty much just jumping in late in the game trying to get a piece of the pie... Don't get me wrong thats great and all but it is pretty damn rich to suggest that Salomon as a high quality ski brand has any idea what the hell they are doing with snowboards. I don't see many skiers rocking out on lib tech skies...

Ive used air walk boots, k2 boots, dc boots, and now I am ridding a pair of lashed 32's. So far my favorite boots have been 32 and DC. 32 definitely has the edge when it comes to comfort and weight. The DC boots did better in terms of durability but less well in terms of footprint and comfort. I really don't get why you are bashing brands that started making boots back when the ski companies thought snowboarding was a "phase". Hell DC didn't used to be "cool" it used to be what you bought if you actually skated. In either case when I started snowboarding I was using sorel boots... Boots have come a long way since then and it sure was not thanks to ski companies which were too busy making boots that cost 2-3x the price of snowboard boots for the pinky out ski snobs. Thankfully some brands like line and armada actually get that skiing is no longer the sport of snobbery.

If you want a ski snob experience make sure to stop into ski west... Truly a hilarious experience.

You do have valid points about DC and Vans. I wore Vans skateboarding in 1985. DC's are my casual choice and I don't even skate anymore lol. K2 is one of the best all around brands out there for sure. But everything else you said is IMO new-school "I'm so fuckin cool cuz I have Armada's or 32 boots so don't talk to me on the lift" crap lol Just look at how long they been around. You actually believe that a company like Line or Armada has anything on Salomon or Rossi? Other than a "cool" factor and great team riders that could shred the mountain on ANY gear but get paid to promote a certain product? Gear won't make the skier, never has and never will.

Armada- since 2002
Line- since 1995
Burton- since 1977
K2- since 1961
Salomon- since 1947.
Rossignol- since 1907!!!

Just wondering, what's your take on Capita boards?