PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Hitch

msommers
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Had a pretty close call on the drive to work with a semi that nearly side swiped and ran me off the road into a snowbank. Had a different guy help pull me out but I would have been hooped if the guy didn't have a D ring for me to use. Fortunately I'm OK, the truck appears to be fine, just loads of ice everywhere now and I didn't roll but fuck it was close.

Needless to say, I'm not as prepared as I thought I was. Will a Crappy Tire drop bar work fine for whenever I'm in a pinch or should I look for something better? Also, should I grab a tow rope with hooks or the basic looped version I have now?

FraserB
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Get this, its $50 at Modern Motors.

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml

Then one of these. Get the 3"x30'

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/recovery_straps.shtml

And an extra D-ring.

Will cost you less than $100 at Modern Motors. Stay far, far away from the straps with metal hooks.

msommers
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks Fraser.

CelicaST-162
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
You can also pick them up at The Gear Shop as well! TJM has some nice ones!

Cos
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM

msommers
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
You can also pick them up at The Gear Shop as well! TJM has some nice ones!

How much would something like that be?

The whole point of this is to have it for a just-in-case scenario. Ideally, I'd never use it and I would hope, not have regular use at all.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Princess Auto also carries them, the receiver shackle is $38 and they have varying sizes of recovery straps.

Supa Dexta
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I stopped to help a car once and the tow truck was just showing up - So I helped him hookup, we stood back as he started pulling the strap broke sending his cable and hook back towards us like a flash.. Smashed me right in the ankle.. If I didn't have my workboots on it would have been bad.

I was like F-this, you're on your own!

msommers
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Princess Auto also carries them, the receiver shackle is $38 and they have varying sizes of recovery straps.

This is the TJM you're referring to?

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
No, sorry, just the hitch shackle mount / recovery straps in general. No specific brands.

btimbit
01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Why? Never had a problem with my meat cleaver

If it's got hardware on the ends it's usually meant for freewheel towing, not moving an immobilized vehicle. Also usually made from polyester vs nylon, which won't stretch or get the rubber band effect to give you the energy transfer sometimes wanted for recovery.
Basically it's just not designed for it and can be dangerous.

My very basic understanding at least

Boosted131
01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
If you don't want to spend a lot go to princess auto the straps and cheap and if they snap they will replace it... They also have the receivers.

Nufy
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Do you have the 2" square receiver or flat bar for a hitch ?

If the latter, I have a flat bar hitch and pin from my old pathfinder kicking around my garage.

Drop a d-ring on that and you're ready to go...

msommers
01-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I was able to pick up a shackle bracket in town so I'm good to go!