PDA

View Full Version : "plug n play" carrier sim card swap?

frozenrice
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm heading south in a few weeks and got my iphone 5 unlocked with the intention of getting a sim card for when I'm down there. One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is if the sim card I get when I'm down there is simply "plug n play". I really don't want to have to bring my laptop with me to sync/update the phone. I forgot to ask this when I got the phone unlocked and the line is closed for the night.

benz_890
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
I'm heading south in a few weeks and got my iphone 5 unlocked with the intention of getting a sim card for when I'm down there. One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is if the sim card I get when I'm down there is simply "plug n play". I really don't want to have to bring my laptop with me to sync/update the phone. I forgot to ask this when I got the phone unlocked and the line is closed for the night.

If your phone is already unlocked, you just slap the sim card in and good to go

Cos
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM

frozenrice
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by benz_890
If your phone is already unlocked, you just slap the sim card in and good to go

That's what I was thinking, just wasn't 100% sure.

Originally posted by Cos
Sometimes you have to play with the APN settings but I havent had any problems my last 2 phones.

I'm not techie enough to know what APN means, but if I do have to mess with the APN settings, is this something that can be done without a laptop/itunes?

Cos
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM

davidI
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Cos

It depends on the phone where it goes and what carrier for the apn settings. Try sticking the card in first, if it doesnt work after a restart either jump back in here, google 'APN settings (xyz phone)' and 'APN settings (xyz) carrier' or send me a PM.

Or just have the shop you get your SIM card from deal with it (assuming it's the U.S., where you basically have to go with a carrier).

If it's Central / South America, everyone will know a guy or a shop that can sort you out.