PDA

View Full Version : Condo Elevator Rescue

Manhattan
01-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I thought Luna was supposed to a luxury building with reputable builders...:confused:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/01/09/calgary-rescue-family.html

BananaFob
01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I was there this morning right when it happened as I live on the 11th floor...
There was a plumber working on the water lines on Monday, I bet it's related to that rather than any deficiency in the building. Hope he has lots of insurance.:whipped:

Here's what I sent to a buddy in an email this morning:

I got out of the shower this morning, around 8:30 ish probably. Sitting around checking the weather, and I hear someone yelling from the hallway. Didn’t really pay much heed… there was a sound of water as well but I thought it was coming from outside.

Guy keeps yelling, so I open the door to see what’s going on. Yelling continues and there is a loud sound of rushing water. I press the elevator button but I don’t hear the elevators moving so I realize that the yelling is coming from the elevator and the water is filling up there. I grab my shoes and run down the stairs. Can’t get out on main floor as it doesn’t connect there, have to go to P1. I look at the elevators there and water is gushing out and I hear someone banging on the elevator door. I called 911, firefighters got into the main floor elevator. Young family there with a little kid, all crying. Water was at their waist level.

Kloubek
01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Holy shit. That must have been scary as hell for them.

Kg810
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Here's the article before they changed it for the added dramatics

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/Kg810/image_zpsf103c3e3.png

Xtrema
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Holy shit. That must have been scary as hell for them.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/saw-image.jpg

Kloubek
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
^ Ok... maybe not quite as scary.

whiskas
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
How did the water level rise in the elevator itself? I don't think they make them to be particularly water tight, and even if the water level in the elevator shaft was rising, it would spill out onto the bottom-most floor (usually lowest parkade level) which should have proper drainage into the sumps.

FraserB
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Probably falling down the shaft itself and through the top of the elevator.

Xtrema
01-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
How did the water level rise in the elevator itself? I don't think they make them to be particularly water tight, and even if the water level in the elevator shaft was rising, it would spill out onto the bottom-most floor (usually lowest parkade level) which should have proper drainage into the sumps.

I would guess water getting in is faster than getting out.

But that's fucked up. If the tweet above is correct and at waist level, it's 1/3 filled and if don't drown in it, I'm pretty sure they are at the weight limit of what that cable can carry.

The condo's reserve fund is going to be fucked. Everyone pays.

I don't think owning anything with an elevator shaft in Calgary is a smart investment.

lilmira
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Damn they got shafted.

woodywoodford
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Probably falling down the shaft itself and through the top of the elevator.
Would still be leaky as fuck I'd think... Unless its a huge flow, which if he heard it it probably was.

Still, that's the stuff my nightmares are made of. Bets that the family will never use an elevator again? (also will be buying a crowbar after work tonight)

FixedGear
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
simple, just wait for water to fill elevator so you can swim up and open secret escape hatch in the top. :bigpimp:

l/l/rX
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm just talking to my co worker who was the other guy in that situation helping out. He was saying the building supervisor or whatever was in soo much of a panic she didn't even know what to do. Man if those 2 weren't there and only the building sup was... sounds like it could have been a way worse situation.

Dave P
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Damn they got shafted.

:thumbsup:

FullFledgedYYC
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
And this is why I will buy a house.

Kloubek
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
simple, just wait for water to fill elevator so you can swim up and open secret escape hatch in the top. :bigpimp:

That's like asking someone in a submerged car to happily wait as their car sinks and fills up with water because they can't open the door. Certainly not a situation someone wants to be in.

...not to mention the father would have to hold his child up until the water got high enough to tread it while holding onto her. It also doesn't consider that perhaps he isn't the strongest swimmer in the world. Personally, I can't swim... believe it or not. If it was me in there, I'd be freakin out for sure.

The extra weight of the water isn't something I considered but that too would be a potentially huge problem.

This could have gone sideways so many ways so this is an awesome ending.

BananaFob
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The condo's reserve fund is going to be fucked. Everyone pays.

I don't think so. Condo board has it's own insurance for stuff like this so it will go through that and I'm betting that the insurance is going to go hard after the contractor that was in on Monday. The condo board just got set up and I doubt there's much of a reserve fund if at all since this is a brand new building.

muse017
01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
I suspect its got something to do with the job they did earlier this week. They shut off the water line for about 10hrs. Good to hear everyone is ok tho.
Hopefully I dont have to climb up all the way to 20th floor:banghead:

Mattloaf
01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

That'd be fine except it's Canadian elevator code standard to lock the emergency hatch from the outside. It's been proven that more people die trying to get out of an elevator than from being trapped inside.

I worked in sales for ThyssenKrupp Elevator for years and the only death in Canada during that time was a repair guy who decided to jump from one elevator to the adjacent shaft. Elevator started moving and his harness got caught and he was cut in half. If you're ever stuck, water or not, just stay put.

As to the water issue, elevators must be designed with vents at floor level, but they are only designed to let in fresh air in the event of a fire and I doubt they could release enough water to keep it from filling up if water was coming in as quickly as people are saying. That being said the higher up the cab you go the more holes you find (door lining, control panel, wall fixtures, etc) so my guess is it would have evened out (water in = water out) before the water line reached the top. I doubt most elevator companies are really that concerned with their cabs filling with water though...

Last point, with regards to weight and rope breakage. The weight you see posted in the elevator is maximum weight -25% for ONE rope. Unless horribly frayed, rusted or damaged, that cab was in no danger of falling, even completely filled with water. What would happen is the ropes would slip on the sheave (large wheel that moves the counterweight up and down) and the elevator would slowly be lowered into the pit. So feel free to jump in an elevator to freak your GFs out. It might get stuck from being unlevel, but it won't fall.

Frankie88
01-10-2013, 01:59 AM
Wow, this really put Luna on the spot as they still got many units to sell also with the other project Calla.

Mibz
01-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Mattloaf

That'd be fine except it's Canadian elevator code standard to lock the emergency hatch from the outside. It's been proven that more people die trying to get out of an elevator than from being trapped inside.

I worked in sales for ThyssenKrupp Elevator for years and the only death in Canada during that time was a repair guy who decided to jump from one elevator to the adjacent shaft. Elevator started moving and his harness got caught and he was cut in half. If you're ever stuck, water or not, just stay put.

As to the water issue, elevators must be designed with vents at floor level, but they are only designed to let in fresh air in the event of a fire and I doubt they could release enough water to keep it from filling up if water was coming in as quickly as people are saying. That being said the higher up the cab you go the more holes you find (door lining, control panel, wall fixtures, etc) so my guess is it would have evened out (water in = water out) before the water line reached the top. I doubt most elevator companies are really that concerned with their cabs filling with water though...

Last point, with regards to weight and rope breakage. The weight you see posted in the elevator is maximum weight -25% for ONE rope. Unless horribly frayed, rusted or damaged, that cab was in no danger of falling, even completely filled with water. What would happen is the ropes would slip on the sheave (large wheel that moves the counterweight up and down) and the elevator would slowly be lowered into the pit. So feel free to jump in an elevator to freak your GFs out. It might get stuck from being unlevel, but it won't fall. Thank you for making me feel so much fucking better about elevators in general.

Mattloaf
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Thank you for making me feel so much fucking better about elevators in general.

Not sure if serious, or sarcastic... *Fry eyes*

Anytime! But don't blame me if you get stuck in an elevator trying to freak out your gf by jumping up and down. ;)

BananaFob
01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Frankie88
Wow, this really put Luna on the spot as they still got many units to sell also with the other project Calla.

... Uh no they don't. Luna had two units left when I moved in and Calla is 99% sold.

Mibz
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Not sure if serious, or sarcastic... *Fry eyes*

Anytime! But don't blame me if you get stuck in an elevator trying to freak out your gf by jumping up and down. ;) Serious. Specifically about the weight ratings and what happens when it becomes overweight, haha.

D'z Nutz
01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Last point, with regards to weight and rope breakage. The weight you see posted in the elevator is maximum weight -25% for ONE rope. Unless horribly frayed, rusted or damaged, that cab was in no danger of falling, even completely filled with water. What would happen is the ropes would slip on the sheave (large wheel that moves the counterweight up and down) and the elevator would slowly be lowered into the pit. So feel free to jump in an elevator to freak your GFs out. It might get stuck from being unlevel, but it won't fall.

I was watching a documentary on elevators (!?) and they said even if all the cables somehow snapped, elevators have an emergency braking system so that the most you'd ever fall is a couple feet.

Haha one of the things on my bucket list is to be trapped in an elevator. I actually missed out on scratching that off by 15 minutes a few years ago haha

Mibz
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I was stuck in an elevator with a couple Beyonders and coworkers once. I hid my nervousness by quietly drinking my bubble tea.

Which made me need to pee.

Luckily they had us out relatively quickly or I may have had to reuse my cup.

Disoblige
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Serious. Specifically about the weight ratings and what happens when it becomes overweight, haha.
I can attest to that. In my shitty apartment, the elevators are so bad and outdated that when it gets filled up to capacity, every floor it stops on, the elevator sinks a good 8-10" from the actual floor slowly. It freaks everyone out tremendously.

They started upgrading the elevators but it took those idiots over 6 months to change out one elevator. How retarded is that?

D'z Nutz
01-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Haha this is part of the reason why I keep wadfuls of napkins in my jackets and bags. Those who hold the toiletries hold the power.

Originally posted by Disoblige
They started upgrading the elevators but it took those idiots over 6 months to change out one elevator. How retarded is that?

Pffft, one of the elevators here at the U of C has been out for over a year for "upgrades" and I'd be suprirsed if it'll be finished by the spring. And before that, it's usually out of commission for about a third of the year.

Quiet10
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I lived downtown when I was younger and the elevator always got stuck. One time I got stuck on there with 8-10 old smelly asian people for almost an hour and a half... it got stuck on the Main level and then slowly went down to the parkade. Could barely breathe in there with all the smelly old people. Haha.

Glad I haven't been stuck since, knock on wood. :D

Disoblige
01-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Haha this is part of the reason why I keep wadfuls of napkins in my jackets and bags. Those who hold the toiletries hold the power.

on the off chance you get stuck somewhere and need to wipe yourself? Hahaha.

Pffft, one of the elevators here at the U of C has been out for over a year for "upgrades" and I'd be suprirsed if it'll be finished by the spring. And before that, it's usually out of commission for about a third of the year.
When you're paying almost $1300 a month for just rent/parking you kind expect elevators to work :P

littledan
01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
i got stuck in my elevator at my condo building. what a hunk of shits those are. building was built in '08 during the boom and was marketed to have high speed elevators. 30 seconds from M to 16....

Kg810
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Frankie88

Lol you are clearly very up to date. :rolleyes:

sputnik
01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Those who hold the toiletries hold the power.

That is why I wear socks. I can have two jobs in the queue before I need to buy anything from you.

H4LFY2nR
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

I don't think so. Condo board has it's own insurance for stuff like this so it will go through that and I'm betting that the insurance is going to go hard after the contractor that was in on Monday. The condo board just got set up and I doubt there's much of a reserve fund if at all since this is a brand new building.

I disagree. Condo board will have insurance but the deductible will most likely be huge to keep the premiums low enough to be covered by the condo fees. These high rise towers have deductibles >$100k, some as high as $500k! The condo board will most likely have to collect from everyone to cover the deductible and/or recharge the reserve fund. If I ever bought a condo I would be sure to have my personal tenants insurance optioned up to cover up to around $20k-25k. Many policies exclude it, but there are a few insurer's that have personal policies that will cover what your condo board would come to collect in situations like this (minus your personal deductible of course).

I got stuck in the Hyatt's elevator once. When they finally got us out, the Hyatt liquored us up and then gave us gift certificates for a free weekend at any Hyatt. Sweet deal compared to the traumatic experience these people had...

BananaFob
01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

I disagree. Condo board will have insurance but the deductible will most likely be huge to keep the premiums low enough to be covered by the condo fees. These high rise towers have deductibles >$100k, some as high as $500k! The condo board will most likely have to collect from everyone to cover the deductible and/or recharge the reserve fund. If I ever bought a condo I would be sure to have my personal tenants insurance optioned up to cover up to around $20k-25k. Many policies exclude it, but there are a few insurer's that have personal policies that will cover what your condo board would come to collect in situations like this (minus your personal deductible of course).

Just checked the certificate of insurance and the deductible for water damage is $25k with a $70M coverage. Not so bad as that adds up to around $120 to each unit if they decide to bill each unit owner.

max_boost
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Faces of death. Scary situation but glad everyone came out alright. :eek:

H4LFY2nR
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Just checked the certificate of insurance and the deductible for water damage is $25k with a $70M coverage. Not so bad as that adds up to around $120 to each unit if they decide to bill each unit owner.

That's not bad at all. I've just heard so many horror stories of condo owners being hit with $10k bills for water damage I'm probably a little paranoid haha. Part of why I bought a house. I know someone who works in insurance and there are condo towers in Calgary with $500k deductibles so it's worth checking into if you're an owner.

rage2
01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I was stuck in an elevator with a couple Beyonders and coworkers once. I hid my nervousness by quietly drinking my bubble tea.

Which made me need to pee.

haha, as shitty as those elevators in that building are, I've been stuck twice in almost 14 years.

I can attest to the rope strength, a couple of months ago one of our shitty elevators made a huge sound from one of the ropes actually snapping and breaking lol. Nobody died. Those maximum weights are pretty high, I don't think it's possible to pack that much weight in there in people, since fat people take up a lot of space.

89s1
01-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I couldn't imagine being trapped in an elevator, as it filled with water.

That would be total hell.