PDA

View Full Version : Gym suggestions: YMCA?

HomespunLobster
01-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm looking to get into a gym. My job just has me sitting in my truck driving around. I'm feeling that I'm losing strength and gaining a gut.

I've been looking at the YMCA, has plenty of work out room, machines, climbing wall, etc.. But any other suggestions? Or review on YMCA? (Closest to me is the Shawnessy )

woodywoodford
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I'd just pick the one closest to you unless there's some obvious reason that that particular one sucks

ArjayAquino
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Just don't do the ones where you have to do contracts, a PITA to get out of if you need to (golds gym)

trollolhah
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
YMCA?

Why not go to the one next door, NSD fitness.

Their gym has way newer equipment, around 5 squat/deadlift racks with support, +2 benches, new dumbbells etc.

The one con i'd say is the relative size to YMCA, its smaller but equipment is new.

I've only been there once, during winter break, so I wouldn't know the capacity at normal hours/other times.

Pricing is 22$ bi-weekly or you can pay a full year, there are corporate and couples plans.

The gym I'm currently with is Goodlife fitness at Canyon Meadows, the equipment is better and the gym is atleast 1.5times bigger (minus running track though).

The Y has other entities i.e swimming pool, basketball court. NSD/GL on the other hand don't.

ColoDano
01-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I have been a member at the Ymca Shawnessey for ~ 3 years, and it suits our needs well. It can get busy at times, but there is alot of equipment available, so you can keep occupied.

I do swim alot, so a good lap pool was high on my list of priorities, as opposed to a weight gym.

You can also use your card at any other Y without issue which is nice.

suntan
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I find the YMCAs the cleanest of all the gyms in town by a fair margin. They don't have the best variety of equipment though. Also lots of young punks if you go at the wrong time.