PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine

GoChris
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
It might seem my washing machine will need replacing very soon. I've leveled it about 4 times in the past month or so and it still wants to just vibrate its self silly and today started actually giving an unbalanced warning and stopping.

Stupid thing is only 6.5 years old, should they not last longer? The heat and humidity sensor in my dryer kicked the bucket months ago so I'll probably just get a new pair.

Question, what do I look for in a washing machine, there's so many and I really don't know. I just need (get my wife) to wash clothes.

Any brand or model recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton of money, definitely want front loading as we have that now and quite like it. We do most of our washing on a cold setting. I wash a lot of run clothes/active wear if that matters. Best place to buy from?

Cheers

bleu
01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
We have an LG front loading set that we got a couple months ago. Paid approx 1300/set from Sears. It works great. Sears will also price match minus a small % should you find it cheaper elsewhere.

Darell_n
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
You probably need new shock absorbers in the washer. My washer needed them around the same age as yours and they cost me $70.

GoChris
01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by bleu
We have an LG front loading set that we got a couple months ago. Paid approx 1300/set from Sears. It works great. Sears will also price match minus a small % should you find it cheaper elsewhere.

Oh good to know about the price match, that might be useful. My current set is LG, it's been good up until recently. not too happy about how long it's lasted, but having two boys means we do a lot of laundry.

Originally posted by Darell_n
You probably need new shock absorbers in the washer. My washer needed them around the same age as yours and they cost me $70.

Did you replace them yourself too? I'll call and see if I can get parts.

elite
01-11-2013, 01:05 AM
http://www.repairclinic.com/Washing-Machine-Suspension-Shock-Absorption-Parts

don't know your model but this is the best site I have found for parts. Much cheaper then locally.

Darell_n
01-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Reliable Parts or Amre Supply should have the parts you need locally. If it's as easy as mine was you will only need a screw driver to remove the front cover and that's it. Your washer is likely the exact same machine used by 10 other brand names so parts are common.

sillysod
01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
^^ Darell_n is right just fix it.

Unless you or your wife actually don't like the washer and are looking for something more top-shelf I don't understand why you wouldn't save a bunch of cash and just get it repaired.

I spent a lot on our appliances when we built and it seems that the reliability of these things is inverse to the price. The more you spend the shittier the reliability is. My builder appliances in the basement bar all work perfectly fine. All my expensive stuff upstairs has been repaired at least once - the biggest P.O.S. being the $4000 fridge.

codetrap
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM

GoChris
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Ya I'm totally up for fixing it myself. I'll phone for some parts later today and check out the site elite. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
My brother and I got new washer/dryers on boxing day. Did quite a bit of research and ended up with the LG WM2250CW and the matching dryer DLE2250W.

Has every feature except the steam stuff I'd never use. Consumer reports, which I don't normally use, rated it very high - not sure how else you test a washing machine other than using it a bunch, so their results seemed trustworthy.

We saved around $700 and got the pair for $1315 after tax, stacking kit, and delivery.

I LOVE these things. They wash way better than my old agitator washer and the dryer is larger and way more efficient. You know that dirt that seems to always be embeded in socks (at least mine lol), it got it out - blew my mind.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/usappliance_2243_125867901

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/usappliance_2243_101755018

codetrap
01-11-2013, 09:46 AM

Masked Bandit
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM
All I know about washing machines is that our next one won't be a front loader. We're going back to top load. Unless someone can tell me how to prevent these things from stinking all the time (other than wiping it out with bleach three times a week).

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
All I know about washing machines is that our next one won't be a front loader. We're going back to top load. Unless someone can tell me how to prevent these things from stinking all the time (other than wiping it out with bleach three times a week).

Wipe the seal down after use just to get the big water off (Takes 5 seconds), then leave the door open overnight. I haven't detected so much as a hint of odor from mine using that method. The manual recommends you leave the door open almost all the time, though.

My parent's have had a set for years as well and it doesn't smell at all.

You can also buy a washing machine cleaner and run it through a cycle every now and then without clothes. Just don't use it with the liquid dispenser like all the retards giving it 1/5 stars because they didn't read the instructions in the reviews section lol:

http://www.tide.com/en-CA/product/tide-washing-machine-cleaner.jspx

Some washers also have a "clean" cycle you just add bleach or vinegar too, and you don't have to use any elbow grease.

There's a liquid one too:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/

Mibz
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
...Ours has never smelled. Is this a common thing?

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
...Ours has never smelled. Is this a common thing?

If you never dry it and always shut the door immediately after, it's not uncommon to get a musty smell after a while. It's never been an issue for me either though.

sputnik
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Wipe the seal down after use just to get the big water off (Takes 5 seconds), then leave the door open overnight. I haven't detected so much as a hint of odor from mine using that method. The manual recommends you leave the door open almost all the time, though.

My parent's have had a set for years as well and it doesn't smell at all.

You can also buy a washing machine cleaner and run it through a cycle every now and then without clothes. Just don't use it with the liquid dispenser like all the retards giving it 1/5 stars because they didn't read the instructions in the reviews section lol:

http://www.tide.com/en-CA/product/tide-washing-machine-cleaner.jspx

Some washers also have a "clean" cycle you just add bleach or vinegar too, and you don't have to use any elbow grease.

There's a liquid one too:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/

I just leave my washer door open all of the time.

Never had an odor issue.

Go4Long
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
yeah, we leave ours open as well. Fresh as a daisy I tells ya.

Masked Bandit
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe it's just a crap design on ours? I know my cousin has the same problem.

Ntense_SpecV
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I was told by the sales manager at Trail Appliances that if you use powder detergent it shouldn't make your washer smell as it has no animal fat content like liquid. I don't know if this is true, but we have used powder detergent exclusively and never leave the door open, or wipe the seal down and not once has it ever smelled mustly or moldy. We do however run the sanitary cycle on it once every couple months or so.

masoncgy
01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I just leave my washer door open all of the time.

Never had an odor issue.

Exactly.

People always keep the doors closed on their front load washers, usually because the washer is in a closet or walkway or somewhere that leaving the door open is a pain... or just because they don't think it might be wise to air out the machine after use.

Top load, easy to keep the lid open. I had that burned into my brain by my mother growing up... "leave the lid open so it can air out"

Working in the business, I confront objections from customers all the time who are afraid to buy front-loads because online reports have customers complaining about how they smell.

You don't even need to leave it open 90+ degrees all the time... just leave it open enough that air can get in and dry out the residual moisture.

My Samsung front loader still smells like new inside... and almost 3 years old now.

Kritafo
01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
We bought our Samsung set on a smoking deal a few years back during boxing week sales at futureshop. Have't had a moments problem.

Door open always no smell ever. You can buy cleaner for it, but really if you leave the door open just a crack it will never smell.

GoChris
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
It seems the Damper assembly are $8 each. I would need 3 of them. So, for that price I will try to fix it myself. If I does not resolve the problem, then maybe I'll look for a new washer.

The issue however, is that repair clinic website lists this part http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper-assembly-friction/4900FR2030H/1267690 but I found a service manual and it lists part 4900FR2030F which is available on some other sites. I think it would be wise to get the correct number? Who knows what the H vs F difference means. Probably just a revision number perhaps.

GoChris
01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Found another website http://www.encompassparts.com/item/6158495/LG_Electronics/4900FR2030F/Damper_Assembly,friction that actually says to use substitute part 4900FR2030H
so it would seem I can order either. So I'm going to call Monday and see if anyone in town has it in stock or can order for close to the same price. Otherwise I will order online and hope the machine can limp for the week until it arrives. :thumbsup:

elite
01-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Much cheaper online. I had a choice to get new parts for the agitator in my machine (all the parts) online for 30 shipped but couldn't wait a week. 4 dogs cost me 22 here.

GoChris
01-16-2013, 09:10 AM
I seem to have no choice but to order online as LG sucks. No one has parts locally and anyone authorized to work on them isn't allowed to sell their parts separately. The parts I need are back ordered until the 28th :(
Couple other parts I want are in stock. Going to suck for another 2 weeks on limp mode on that washer. I don't have $1k+ to spend on a new set right now.

GoChris
02-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Well after waiting for the parts on back order, then waiting over the weekend because fedex delivered the package to the wrong place, I finally have my washing machine back together with new shock absorbers, and a new door seal boot as well! :clap:

Install was fairly straight forward. The hard part was putting new "bolts" in through the shocks as they were a very tight fit and little room to work. Also the spring loaded ring around the rubber boot was a fucking pain in the ass. In the end, definitely worth it. I think I spent $150 ish including shipping to fix that and the dryer sensor as well.

Hopefully they last another few years now.