PDA

View Full Version : Good place for weekday breakfast/brunch in the North?

Tik-Tok
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
A friend has a 2 hour layover here tomorrow, just wondering what a good place for brunch would be.

JordanAndrew
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Moxies Barlow offers Brunch until 11am. If you want something fairly close to the airport that does decent food, that's the place I'd go.

blitz
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Overeasy on Edmonton trail is great.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Overeasy on Edmonton trail is great.

Never heard of it before now, this place sounds fucking awesome though, thanks!

saiyajin
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
it gets very busy at overeasy kind of risky for a layover...

Kritafo
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
omg this sounds good. anyone had it?

Benny upstream……$13.99
2 poached eggs, fresh Organic spinach, smoked Steelhead salmon

ooh just reading the menu. I have to try this place. Never heard of it. Sounds fantastic

saiyajin
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
gotta have their signature Soul in a Bowl frikin awesome :drool:

msommers
01-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Overeasy is very good and the girls are always super friendly. The coffee they have is amazing. I live a couple blocks from there and always go in before I hit the road. That said, I leave town around 7-8am usually on a weekday and it's already busy. I went over at 10 on a Thursday and the line was out the door. Just call and ask how busy it is, I don't think they do reservations. Just a note, cash or debit only.

Therefore, my other suggestions if you can't get in there are the equally good Bluestar Diner or Main Dish serves good food in-house if bluestar is full (unlikely during the weekdays before lunchtime). Both of those are in Bridgeland.

Not that it matters now but Avenue Diner was the best truthfully. I finally got in touch with the owner via Facebook and it turns out her short trip to Toronto has turned into a permanent one :(

Just saw you guys talking about the salmon Benny. I like the Bluestar version more.

know1edge
01-11-2013, 12:14 AM
DINER DELUXE
kinda breakfast, kinda diner

FixedGear
01-11-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't think you'd have time to leave the airport for breakfast on a 2 hour layover.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2013, 07:17 AM
I don't think 2 hours is enough time for this idea, if it was me, I'd eat at the airport.

But, John's Breakfast and Lunch is good.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
It's actually 3.5 hours, I already took into account offloading, security and re-boarding times.

blitz
01-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

Yup, it's like breakfast poutine :drool:

jwslam
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Pacini is really close to airport. Decent food.

swak
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Delta at the airport.

FixedGear
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I've never been, but I heard that the Deer Head Cafe is a good greasy spoon breakfast. Near deerfoot and 32nd.

JordanEG6
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Never heard of it before now, this place sounds fucking awesome though, thanks!

Originally posted by Kritafo
omg this sounds good. anyone had it?

Benny upstream……$13.99
2 poached eggs, fresh Organic spinach, smoked Steelhead salmon

ooh just reading the menu. I have to try this place. Never heard of it. Sounds fantastic

Originally posted by saiyajin

Yep, tried almost everything on this menu. Everything is delicious. I love OEB.

Not sure if they still have it but they had a butter poached lobster crepe with hollandaise. It was one of the best things I've ever ate.

It usually gets busy for brunch so if you don't wanna wait 30-45 minutes, Blue Star Diner down the road in Bridgeland is another excellent choice.

ducaudi
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
yup, OEB is a pretty busy place. The Croque Madame is pretty tasty, you should try the blueberry chicken sausage with hollandaise, some amazing stuff.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Went to Over Easy, was 3/4 full at 10:30. Gotta say Fois Gras breakfast poutine is a great way to start the day! That place is my new favorite.

ducaudi
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Went to Over Easy, was 3/4 full at 10:30. Gotta say Fois Gras breakfast poutine is a great way to start the day! That place is my new favorite.

You must feel fantastic after that fois-gras hahaha.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Diner Deluxe or Blue Star Diner. Extremely good.

I'll have to check out Overeasy!

Tik-Tok
01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
So worth it.

Maxx Mazda
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Delta hotel at YYC has buffet. It's AWESOME.

baygirl
01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
So worth it.
That could be taken in so many ways....

Kritafo
01-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Yep, tried almost everything on this menu. Everything is delicious. I love OEB.

Not sure if they still have it but they had a butter poached lobster crepe with hollandaise. It was one of the best things I've ever ate.

It usually gets busy for brunch so if you don't wanna wait 30-45 minutes, Blue Star Diner down the road in Bridgeland is another excellent choice.

Thanks been to Blue Star, meh it was so busy when we went I felt forgotten.

ekguy
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Belmont Diner in Marda Loop isn't bad at all. Not busy during the week. On weekends it's slammed usually.

msommers
01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Dairy Lane is another one that's good (Bluestar is their sister store) but it's got like 5 tables and nearly always need to wait - they really need a bigger place.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Bluestar, Kritafo. The girls there are usually awesome and the manager always hands out coffee in line if you have to wait :)

jdmakkord
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Dairy Lane is another one that's good (Bluestar is their sister store) but it's got like 5 tables and nearly always need to wait - they really need a bigger place.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Bluestar, Kritafo. The girls there are usually awesome and the manager always hands out coffee in line if you have to wait :)

While Dairy lane needs a bigger place, they wont move. The original place has been in that location since the 50's I think. They have a loyal following in Hillhurst. I went to Q.E and ate burgers there all through the 90's when the original owners were still around. I find the service better at bluestar nowadays though, since the owner/manager spends more time there.

JordanEG6
01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Thanks been to Blue Star, meh it was so busy when we went I felt forgotten.

They are normally very good with their customers though. I've always had fresh coffee while waiting and I've waited no longer than 25-30 minutes at their peak hours. Give it another shot!

The Pulled Pork Benny is one of my faves from this place.

Graham_A_M
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Belmont Diner in Marda Loop isn't bad at all. Not busy during the week. On weekends it's slammed usually.

Yeah, it really is. Too bad the only time I CAN go is during the weekends. :thumbsdow

Awesome food fo' sho' playa'! :D

heavyfuel
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers

X2 for Dairy Lane. Local farm fresh everything. And they have gluten free bread.

ga16i
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I can't say that I'm not surprised to see no one mentioning Bubblemania. ;)

ekguy
01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Yeah, it really is. Too bad the only time I CAN go is during the weekends. :thumbsdow

Awesome food fo' sho' playa'! :D

i randomly take days off to go do my groceries, shopping, haircut, etc. Those days always include a trip to belmont. But since I live so close I usually end up getting it to go and come home for some coffee and bailey's lol.