PDA

View Full Version : Is owning an EV vehicle realistic? Drive coast to coast w/free stations (map)

CanmoreOrLess
01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
One of the downsides to an EV (electric vehicle) would be the length of time it takes to fully charge the unit, for 99% of my vehicle use this would not be an issue. Interesting to note how far this industry has come in the last few years. How long before you personally know someone that owns an electric vehicle? I have been considering buying two vehicles, one an electric for the city and short road trips (Lake Louise distance) and the other a mid sized diesel. The two leaders are a Tesla roadster (Lotto win needed) and a VW/Audi/Jeep 2014 diesel for road trips. One could argue I could simply rent a no diesel vehicle for the half dozen multi day trips I take yearly and come out far ahead.

This guy drove a Tesla coast to coast in the middle of winter without an issue:
https://suncountryhighway.ca/worlds-longest-greenest-highway-project/

The Trans-Canada Highway the longest and greenest highway in the world, with free charging stations placed every 100 to 200 kilometres. Canada is the first country in the world to have a free coast-to-coast network of stations to power electric cars.

Map of charging station locations (who knew?) across Canada (coast to coast):
https://suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip-planner/#.UPGTMKWICX8

Find an EV for your lifestyle, the Teslas gets over 400km per charge:
https://suncountryhighway.ca/evfinder/

* made corrections from "EV vehicle" to "EV" in the body, the subject change did not take hold for some reason. Did this all from the comfort of my PC computer.

revelations
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I want to see batterycapacity information for these vehicles when the temps hit -20 or below.

Green vehicles are great, when the environment is green .... not white.

supe
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm really interested in EV vehicles too. Tesla is a bit out of my range, and I like the concept of the LEAF but not liking the car itself. Nissan is supposedly working on an EV crossover. That would definitely get my attention.

Anomaly
01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
A lot the stations in the prairies are "pending installation..."
and Not to mention a lot of them aren't exactly right off the highway.

projekz
01-12-2013, 06:43 PM
The fact that it took 35 days to complete the journey coast to coast leads me to believe that the drove about 300 kms a day and charged the car overnight. Which would mean that if you wanted to drive to Vancouver it could be at least 3 days. Not worth it IMO. I'd rather buy a diesel that can make it on a single tank of fuel one way.

codetrap
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

dubhead
01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I think we are still a ways off from EV cars really being realistic outside the urban environment, at least until better storage can extend the range. I think in the mean time we will see more electric cars with some sort of gas generator to extend range like the Chevy Volt.

projekz
01-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Or my Mazda 3 Sky that can do it in a single tank of fuel as well, and it a lot more fun to drive. :)

Not too sure what they are rated at. I was thinking more Touareg TDI, ML350 Bluetec or any of the larger diesel wagons. :D

Sugarphreak
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Xtrema
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by projekz
The fact that it took 35 days to complete the journey coast to coast leads me to believe that the drove about 300 kms a day and charged the car overnight.

I didn't read the detail but let's just say that you get stuck in uninteresting middle of nowhere 30% of time. That's almost 12 days and $1200 minimum of lodging.

Right. EV is good for to and from work. That's about it.

dubhead
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If you care about the environment, then you should know by know that heavy metal batteries cause signifigantly more damage over the lifetime of the car when compared to a small modern gasonline car.
Comfort and Function > Economy :drama:

Also on this subject most of our electricity still comes from coal the heaviest polluting energy source out.

projekz
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I didn't read the detail but let's just say that you get stuck in uninteresting middle of nowhere 30% of time. That's almost 12 days and $1200 minimum of lodging.

Right. EV is good for to and from work. That's about it.

I can only imagine a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver in 3 days and with a cost of $500 in food and hotels...:rofl:

Might as well take the plane and rent a car...

You might even be able to ride a horse to Vancouver in 3 days. Now that's environmentally friendly!

btimbit
01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
If you actually care about economy and more importantly reliability; then Diesel or an eco-hatchback like a Fit or yaris... screwing around with EV cars is just asking for trouble.

If you care about the environment, then you should know by know that heavy metal batteries cause signifigantly more damage over the lifetime of the car when compared to a small modern gasonline car.

If you care about your image as a trendy hipster douchbag, then EV all the way!

That's going on my facebook status, with the direct intention of pissing off the ex's hipster douche friends.

CanmoreOrLess
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly
A lot the stations in the prairies are "pending installation..."
and Not to mention a lot of them aren't exactly right off the highway.

I only clicked on a couple of locations and they were able to charge, having now clicked on a dozen I am finding more showing status as "pending installation", not comforting at all.

One solution kicking about has been the idea of swapping out the batteries at charging stations, gas stations, etc, swap your drained battery for a freshly charged one. In this way charging down times as a negative issue would be eliminated. This would require all vehicles to have the same battery system and a simple access process (not an easy thing to pull off). If it takes any more than five minutes to swap, it only adds to the hassles. Besides the batteries must weight a few hundred pounds. Eh, more headaches, waiting for my flying car might make more sense.

Tomaz
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
These new extended range electric vehicles, like the Volt, are perfect entries to the market IMO.

Run on electric only when bumping around the city. Fill her up and go into hybrid mode when doing a road trip. Brilliant!

Xtrema
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
These new extended range electric vehicles, like the Volt, are perfect entries to the market IMO.

Run on electric only when bumping around the city. Fill her up and go into hybrid mode when doing a road trip. Brilliant!

At least I can see myself getting behind this:

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/2014-cadillac-elr-detroit-2013/

CanmoreOrLess
01-15-2013, 12:15 PM

If you care about your image as a trendy hipster douchbag, then EV all the way!

Comfort and Function > Economy :drama:

You seriously think owning an EV makes you look like a trendy hipster douchbag? OK, time for a reality check for the guy owning a Hummer maybe. I think we can all agree on what a Hummer projects. Secretly I would like one, but that is beside the point... EV Hummer where are you?

projekz
01-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

At least I can see myself getting behind this:

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/2014-cadillac-elr-detroit-2013/

Really nice!

Sugarphreak
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
In 30 minutes charge to 80%, some EVs are now having a full charge in half the time:

http://www.hybridcars.com/vw-of-america-eaton-announce-combined-quick-charger-system/

austic
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Hummer at one time was the ultimate in douche trendyness, no doubt... but not anymore. Prices have dropped and they are falling into the hands of off-road enthusiasts which is highly uncool to the hipster crowd, more importantly people think it ruins the environment which automatically disqualifies them from hipster status.

To be a hipster douchbag these days, you need something flashy that recognizes your lofty contribution to the environment, but not something that is actually helping (as that would require actually getting dirty and doing work). Things like re-usable/hemp bags, a sport jacket made from old tires, a coffee cup that looks like a throw away paper one... but is actually ceramic! Sorry, but I am afraid an EV fits the stereotype!

:clap: very true.

Maybelater
01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd consider an EV if I was living in a place like Europe, or I was wealthy and could afford having a single expensive vehicle that would be used for basically nothing but running errands.

Even Nissan even appears to be marketing the leaf with the knowledge that upper class individuals will be their main target.

Sugarphreak, I'm honestly not really that big into the electric car thing anyway, because really gasoline isn't as expensive as everyone makes it out to be and I'm not a huge environment person. But, I must ask you, isn't the lithium used in batteries able to be recycled? I mean sure it is harmful, but storing and properly disposing of lithium seems easy. You can't really catch the waste from your tail pipe and put it in storage, lithium you can, so in the long run I think it works best.

Last, do people really think that just because the sources our electricity comes from plants that might still depend on coal/gas etc that it means you shouldn't put any effort into reducing your own impact? Sure the power plant might run on coal, but so does everything that brings gasoline to you, so in the long run you're still reducing your own impact.

I get it though, if you think an electric vehicle doesn't still impact the environment you're ignorant. Human activity will always impact it.

Xtrema
01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
In 30 minutes charge to 80%, some EVs are now having a full charge in half the time:

http://www.hybridcars.com/vw-of-america-eaton-announce-combined-quick-charger-system/

Only if your batteries are designed to handle it. So far, current gen consumer EVs doesn't.

Sugarphreak
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM

dubhead
01-16-2013, 05:56 PM

The idea that people think hooking up to their local power grid is "green" is just silly... just because you don't see the pollution immediately doesn't mean it isn't there. Also there is always an impact, it just might not be C02. Could be nuclear waste, flooding entire valleys for hydo, or bird/bat killing wind turbines. my real qualm with EV is that most believe this idea of linking all our cars up to a power grid that is already on the brink of collapse is a good idea.

For batteries, the only way they will get recycled is if somebody is doing out of principle... otherwise it isn't economical:
http://www.altenergystocks.com/archives/2011/05/why_advanced_lithium_ion_batteries_wont_be_recycled.html

And furthermore, you think that our oilsands have an impact... you really haven’t seen hard core environmental damage until you've laid eyes on a heavy metal mine and the toxic tailings it produces.

Well actually it is still producing CO2 its just coming from coal which is a whole lot better :nut:. Then the power is shipped through a terribly inefficient power grid. Oh and coal mines a wonderful too.

g-m
01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

That's going on my facebook status, with the direct intention of pissing off the ex's hipster douche friends. hah good call I'm going to do the same with a line about fun. Shit going to out myself as the redneck I am.

Maybelater
01-16-2013, 08:24 PM

The idea that people think hooking up to their local power grid is "green" is just silly... just because you don't see the pollution immediately doesn't mean it isn't there. Also there is always an impact, it just might not be C02. Could be nuclear waste, flooding entire valleys for hydo, or bird/bat killing wind turbines. my real qualm with EV is that most believe this idea of linking all our cars up to a power grid that is already on the brink of collapse is a good idea.

For batteries, the only way they will get recycled is if somebody is doing out of principle... otherwise it isn't economical:
http://www.altenergystocks.com/archives/2011/05/why_advanced_lithium_ion_batteries_wont_be_recycled.html

And furthermore, you think that our oilsands have an impact... you really haven’t seen hard core environmental damage until you've laid eyes on a heavy metal mine and the toxic tailings it produces.

Interesting article. I can understand why 'recycling' batteries might be an issue. But I guess my point was that we could still properly dispose those old batteries since they are physically able to be removed and put into proper storage/waste. And if they have to they can place a one time tax on car batteries like they already do with electronics.

North America and especially Canada would defiantly have issues supporting a power network to charge all our vehicles with the overall population density. But demand is suppose to create investment.

I'm not really a big enviro-nerd or anything, I currently work in the Oil Patch building pipelines. I never really thought of the mining process for lithium for batteries which obviously isn't much better in the long run. I was just curious with your perspective on the matter. But how long can a single battery last in one of these cars? Because if you only need one for years I would still think the overall impact would be lower.

Last, the only real reason why I think we need to try and reduce our dependency on oil for personal vehicles is because we use petrochemicals for so much in the modern world. It is very important we try to reduce our consumption of oil as much as we can so we can ration it over time. We can use other sources of fuels for vehicles, but it isn't really easy to build things like computers without oil.

dubhead
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Except we use the parts of the barrel we don't use as fuel for petrochemical feed stocks. So really if we use it just for petro chem production 45% of the barrel would be waste gasoline with no where to go. Hell gasoline will be come so cheap they'll just burn it off like they do now with a lot of NGL'S that could be used for petro chem feed stocks.

Sugarphreak
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM

dubhead
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
IMO the future is hydrogen.

Last time I checked the idea of hydrogen powered cars was all but dead