PDA

View Full Version : Issues playing video games on new smart tv

funkedelic2
01-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Recently picked up a new smart lg 60" tv and enjoying it so far but can't figure out what to do with the gaming aspect. I have been trying to play black ops but when i move around it's not like it was before on my old tv. Kinda hard to explain but it's basically unplayable because it feels like my left and right movements on the controller don't keep up to the motions on the game. Really frustrating. My old tv did this as well but I turned off the Trumotion setting and it was okay. Hasn't worked so far on this tv. None of the settings on my ps3 or the game have changed. I'm getting really annoyed. Anyone have any suggestions?

EK69
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
See if there is a game mode in settings somewhere or google the model and game mode
I have noticed this as well and others don't seem to notice this lag...I think it's called hdmi input lag?
Anyways it's annoying as fuck I agree lol

Same thing happens on my tv in any other video mode other than "game" (there's multiple modes under display)

turbotrip
01-15-2013, 06:24 PM
change the Hz on the TV?

CanmoreOrLess
01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Does the TV have the latest software update installed? Try a different HDMI cable as well.

funkedelic2
01-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by EK69
See if there is a game mode in settings somewhere or google the model and game mode
I have noticed this as well and others don't seem to notice this lag...I think it's called hdmi input lag?
Anyways it's annoying as fuck I agree lol

Same thing happens on my tv in any other video mode other than "game" (there's multiple modes under display)

Hmm ill look into that. I've never heard of hdmi lag

Originally posted by turbotrip
change the Hz on the TV?

How do I do that? Will doing this effect my settings for everything else?

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Does the TV have the latest software update installed? Try a different HDMI cable as well.

I'm not sure, it's a 2012 tv so I don't think it's too put of date. Ill try to find out as well as trying another hdmi cable.

Thanks for your input guys

wtf im nameless
01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Todays TVs do a lot more processing to the picture to help improve it, but this processing takes some time and you will very much notice it while playing games.

Best guess without seeing it is what a couple of other people mentioned. Game mode, which disables a lot of the picture processing with the intent of getting the picture onto the screen as fast as possible. Also, if it's an LCD an you can adjust the hertz (some TVs call it motion flow or something to do with movement enhancing), you want to disable this feature as it also takes time to process the pictures before it shows it on the screen.

I highly doubt it's the firmware or cable, it's possible but unlikely.

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Software updates are normal for the first year or so, my TV and Blu-ray player needed updates right from day one of ownership and this continued on a regular basis about every three months until recently.

Game mode as mentioned sounds like the most logical solution.

funkedelic2
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I haven't found a setting on the tv for game mode. It's an led tv by the way. Ill try everything mentioned today.

wtf im nameless
01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm assuming it's this one then, if so it has a game mode.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-60LS5700-smart-tv

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I haven't found a setting on the tv for game mode. It's an led tv by the way. Ill try everything mentioned today.

What is the model number?

Is this the kind of thing you are experiencing?:

wFRImLRmguA

EK69
01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Exact model would help

funkedelic2
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
It's a LG 60" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED Smart TV (60LM7200)

Very similar to the tv in the video and yes it's some what like the video. Kind of hard to compare because one is a fighting game and the other is a fps. From the video I learnt how to change the tv to game mode. All I did initially was just select the hdmi output to game when I set up the tv but according to the video there is a further selection to choose game in another picture setting. Good thing I can read Spanish lol

EK69
01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
It's a LG 60" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED Smart TV (60LM7200)

Very similar to the tv in the video and yes it's some what like the video. Kind of hard to compare because one is a fighting game and the other is a fps. From the video I learnt how to change the tv to game mode. All I did initially was just select the hdmi output to game when I set up the tv but according to the video there is a further selection to choose game in another picture setting. Good thing I can read Spanish lol
Lol ya dude that's what I was saying
It's under display mode or something on my tv
But yeah u wanna change the display mode to remove all the preprocessing the tv does before it puts the image up on screen. With game mode it minimizes that delay (which is where hdmi input lag was coined)

Now u can enjoy gaming on ur new tv :clap:

lamp_shade_2000
01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Wtfimnameless is correct. The tv is doing too much processing. Go to game mode in picture settings and it reduces the "lag" substantially.

funkedelic2
01-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Fixed. Thanks guys much appreciated