PDA

View Full Version : Own a Hyundai? Do your own oil changes? Buy Kia filters and save money

Zero102
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I am posting this hoping to help somebody else out, surely there are some other beta-engined Hyundai owners on here.

I have a 2010 Elantra Touring, which takes the Hyundai filter 26300-35503 (apparently this is their most common filter, so if you have a ~1995-2012 Hyundai you probably use this filter). Since I bought this car I have been buying oil filters from Hyundai dealers (to make them happy regarding my warranty) and paying ~$15-$16 per filter each time. Obviously this is a huge ripoff but I didn't think that I had any other options so I just bent over and took it for the first 5 oil changes. I tried different dealerships but due to a lack of planning on my part I was always in a hurry to get a filter now and just paid what they asked :(

After reading on another forum that Hyundai and Kia share a lot of parts between their brands (sometimes entire cars...), and that parts are often cheaper from Kia dealers despite being identical parts in identical cities I got curious if this applied here as well. Taking that part number I called a few Calgary Kia dealers and found their highest price was still nearly $5 (~35%) cheaper than the cheapest Hyundai dealer.

At all dealerships I asked for 1x 21513-23001 crush washer (gasket) and 1x 26300-35503 oil filter.

All charges are without eco fee and GST:
Crowfoot Hyundai - $15.13
Calgary Hyundai: $14.11
Precision Hyundai: $14-ish (his computer was broken but he said it was just over $14 pre-tax)

Kia city: $8.98
Northland kia: $9.33
Eastside Kia: $8.25

Based on the above (and the fact that they were open on Saturday) I went over to Eastside Kia and managed to talk my way into a discount if I bought more than 1 filter at a time, and when buying 5 I got them down a bit more to into the $6.XX range per filter and crush washer. This is cheaper than I can get them for online!

Compare this to Hyundai, where every single Hyundai dealership refused to reduce the price at all no matter what I tried - buying more than one at a time, asking them to match online retailers, asking nicely for wholesale pricing, buying other parts at the same time, nothing.

TL;DR: If you own a Hyundai that takes a 26300-35503 oil filter you are getting ripped off at every Calgary Hyundai dealership, buy them from Eastside Kia.

FullFledgedYYC
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Call me a selfish prick... but usually when I find out things like this I do not share them on a public forum.

Kia probably gave you a deal because you are the rare case of someone who is "in the know". If every guy who walks up to that counter is "in the know" do you think they are going to give discounts out as easily? Probably not.

I would have kept this to myself :) Maybe I am an ass.... :dunno:

Zero102
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
You are being a bit unclear here. Do you mean the Hyundai vs Kia price discrepancy, or the bulk(ish) discount?
The Hyundai vs Kia discrepancy was across the board, all Kia dealers were less expensive. Posting it here is unlikely to change that.
The discount however you might be right, I almost didn't post it, but in my experience negotiating a discount at the parts counter is pretty standard practice with dealerships so I figured it was alright. I pretty much always do this it is just Hyundai that have been dicks and refused to give any discounts at all.

Canmorite
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't want to hate...but how many hours did you spend figuring this out, driving around, negotiating at the till before it was all said and done? What's the price gap between getting it done at the dealership? Don't forget to add in your time to change the oil/filter when calculating total cost savings over the dealership.

Really that big of a difference? :dunno:

403Gemini
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
The $6 I'd save isn a fair trade for having to drive all the way down mcleod, I'll just stick to the Hyundai dealership by southcentre

Appreciate the heads up though

Zero102
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I don't want to hate...but how many hours did you spend figuring this out, driving around, negotiating at the till before it was all said and done? What's the price gap between getting it done at the dealership? Don't forget to add in your time to change the oil/filter when calculating total cost savings over the dealership.

Hours? not even one :dunno:

I googled each of the dealerships and called them, 15 minutes tops from start to finish. Then I drove to Eastside Kia, which was about 10 minutes out of my way to get the filters and negotiated there.

As for the no Hyundia dealers would negotiate thing, that is from the previous 5 oil changes I have done, not from this. I would just try to get them to move on the price each time I went in. Conveniently enough I found myself in there for warranty work close enough to oil change time that I only had to make an extra trip in to the dealership one of the 5 times and that was Crowfoot, who was very close since I live in Royal Oak and take the train from Crowfoot.

This thread isn't about doing your own oil changes vs having somebody do them for you. That is a debate for another time and place, don't drag that in here as it just isn't relevant.

CapnCrunch
01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Who makes Kia filters? I'm pretty sure you can buy a much better filter for less money.

SOAB
01-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Who makes Kia filters? I'm pretty sure you can buy a much better filter for less money.

a much better filter for less than $7 each? i highly doubt that.

Zero102
01-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
The $6 I'd save isn a fair trade for having to drive all the way down mcleod, I'll just stick to the Hyundai dealership by southcentre

Appreciate the heads up though

If you find yourself driving by Eastside Kia just stop in and pick some up at the parts counter. That's all I did, we were making a trip close by the dealership already, and when buying 5 filters at a time the savings were almost $9/each or ~$43 saved. Well worth the time in my opinion.

heavyD
01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
OP are you Asian?

Ven
01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Thank you OP!

The part numbers for the filters are the same?

CapnCrunch
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

a much better filter for less than $7 each? i highly doubt that.

Why is that so shocking? I ordered 12 Purolator Pure 1 filters for my truck and wifes Acura for under $60?

If KIA uses some high performance oil filter than I stand corrected. But I'm guessing they just use some cheap pos like most other auto manufacturers and charge people out the ass for them.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Why are you buying filters at the dealership in the first place? Buying from Wal-Mart is just as good for your warranty, and I'd be surprised if Kia or Hyundai filters were any higher quality.

heavyD
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Why is that so shocking? I ordered 12 Purolator Pure 1 filters for my truck and wifes Acura for under $60?

If KIA uses some high performance oil filter than I stand corrected. But I'm guessing they just use some cheap pos like most other auto manufacturers and charge people out the ass for them.

Purolator makes a lot of OEM filters but I will say that OEM filters in many cases are superior to most generic aftermarket filters (Fram and other cheap ones) and you are always guaranteed the proper check valve spring.

Zero102
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
OP are you Asian?

Nope, just a cheap-ass, but thanks for stereotyping :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Ven
Thank you OP!

The part numbers for the filters are the same?

Yeah the part numbers are identical, and although I haven't opened any of the boxes yet I have seen pictures comparing the 2 and allegedly the filters are identical once unboxed, they just come in a different colored box (when you buy from Hyundai the box says Hyundai and Kia, but when you buy from Kia it just has the Kia logo). I'll pull one of them out of the box tonight and take a pic to verify for anybody that is curious, but I am pretty sure they are identical. I tried to get the guy to search some other Hyundai parts I wanted (as they were available on the Kia Cee'd overseas) but he said he could only get stuff from north american Kia warehouses so I was out of luck.

This post wasn't about the Kia filters being super cheap compared to aftermarket filters, this was about getting warranty approved OEM filters for significantly less than what Hyundai is charging. During the warranty period it is just OEM filters for me. I'll switch to something else post-warranty, but for now this is what I (and many others) have to use, so why not save a few bucks?

Zero102
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Why are you buying filters at the dealership in the first place? Buying from Wal-Mart is just as good for your warranty, and I'd be surprised if Kia or Hyundai filters were any higher quality.

Purolator makes a lot of OEM filters but I will say that OEM filters in many cases are superior to most generic aftermarket filters (Fram and other cheap ones) and you are always guaranteed the proper check valve spring.

There are TSBs out regarding engine noise and undesired performance when using aftermarket oil filters on these engines (as there are for just about every single make and model out there) and I have heard through a couple of dealerships and forum posts that they will deny serious engine warranty work if aftermarket oil filters were used. FWIW the correct filter for my car is $8 at Wal-mart and CT, and at least this one includes a new crush washer, has the correct bypass valve pressure and I know it has the check valve in it as well.

These (I believe) are made by Purolator, they would be on par with the bottom-end paper filters that Purolator makes, just like pretty much all OEM oil filters. I agree there are tons of good filters out there, the top-end Fram synthetic media ones come to mind and several others, but again, right now OEM is the only choice for the next 2 years.

Ven
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Yeah the part numbers are identical, and although I haven't opened any of the boxes yet I have seen pictures comparing the 2 and allegedly the filters are identical once unboxed, they just come in a different colored box (when you buy from Hyundai the box says Hyundai and Kia, but when you buy from Kia it just has the Kia logo). I'll pull one of them out of the box tonight and take a pic to verify for anybody that is curious, but I am pretty sure they are identical. I tried to get the guy to search some other Hyundai parts I wanted (as they were available on the Kia Cee'd overseas) but he said he could only get stuff from north american Kia warehouses so I was out of luck.

This post wasn't about the Kia filters being super cheap compared to aftermarket filters, this was about getting warranty approved OEM filters for significantly less than what Hyundai is charging. During the warranty period it is just OEM filters for me. I'll switch to something else post-warranty, but for now this is what I (and many others) have to use, so why not save a few bucks?

The last Hyundai Filter I installed also had the Kia logo on it and the filter was made in Korea. FWIW on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums the Hyundai/Kia filters ranked high in construction and function. I also got the TSB and while I never had a problem running the universally premium rated Napa Gold filters; I decided to return to OEM and won't be going back. I like having the correct OEM filter on the engine, especially if it's a high quality one.

CapnCrunch
01-16-2013, 12:16 PM

There are TSBs out regarding engine noise and undesired performance when using aftermarket oil filters on these engines (as there are for just about every single make and model out there) and I have heard through a couple of dealerships and forum posts that they will deny serious engine warranty work if aftermarket oil filters were used. FWIW the correct filter for my car is $8 at Wal-mart and CT, and at least this one includes a new crush washer, has the correct bypass valve pressure and I know it has the check valve in it as well.

These (I believe) are made by Purolator, they would be on par with the bottom-end paper filters that Purolator makes, just like pretty much all OEM oil filters. I agree there are tons of good filters out there, the top-end Fram synthetic media ones come to mind and several others, but again, right now OEM is the only choice for the next 2 years.

I didn't realize they were allowed to force you to use a brand of oil filter or void your warranty. Why is Hyundai so shady about their warranties?

ExtraSlow
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
I just want to point out that you don't have to use OEM filters to maintain your warranty. I'm fine with you using OEM if you feel it's higher quality, or a good value, but it is NOT required to maintain your warranty.
I know I'm a little off topic, but that's one of my pet peeves. :hijack:

Zero102
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM

I didn't realize they were allowed to force you to use a brand of oil filter or void your warranty. Why is Hyundai so shady about their warranties?

Interesting point, I guess I don't know for sure if they can actually force it. I have heard about people being threatened on a couple forums and when I asked the salesperson I bought the car from and the service advisors at 2 different dealerships (crowfoot and precision) they both told me that proof OEM filters were used would be required if I ever need any major engine repairs under warranty, otherwise the warranty would not cover the repairs.

Given how much my lifters tick/hammer away when it is cold out I wouldn't be surprised if I will be getting a new set of lifters and/or camshafts before the warranty runs out and I'd like to be able to say that I used only OEM filters and not have to worry. I think I'm not the only one who likes this peace of mind, and since the Hyundai/Kia filters are actually rather high quality and this peace of mind comes so cheaply I guess I never really found it necessary to dig too deeply about whether they can actually require OEM filters.

heavyD
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM

What are you trying to say? That Asians are cheap-asses because you are?:dunno:

CapnCrunch
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Interesting point, I guess I don't know for sure if they can actually force it. I have heard about people being threatened on a couple forums and when I asked the salesperson I bought the car from and the service advisors at 2 different dealerships (crowfoot and precision) they both told me that proof OEM filters were used would be required if I ever need any major engine repairs under warranty, otherwise the warranty would not cover the repairs.

Given how much my lifters tick/hammer away when it is cold out I wouldn't be surprised if I will be getting a new set of lifters and/or camshafts before the warranty runs out and I'd like to be able to say that I used only OEM filters and not have to worry. I think I'm not the only one who likes this peace of mind, and since the Hyundai/Kia filters are actually rather high quality and this peace of mind comes so cheaply I guess I never really found it necessary to dig too deeply about whether they can actually require OEM filters.

It definitely doesn't sound like it's worth risking. It also wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in them standing behind their product. I wonder what happens if you use aftermarket wiper blades?

FullFledgedYYC
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM

What are you trying to say? That Asians are cheap-asses because you are?:dunno:

HAHA! Well played.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
$16 for a filter is expensive? I pay $24 for mine from the dealer and $12 a litre for oil if it isn't on sale and that doesn't even seem too bad IMO.

G-ZUS
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
$16 for a filter is expensive? I pay $24 for mine from the dealer and $12 a litre for oil if it isn't on sale and that doesn't even seem too bad IMO.

You gotta pay to play. You drive a BMW, he drives a Hyundai. If he wanted to pay out the @$$ he would have bought a BMW instead.

CapnCrunch
01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Oranges are the worst tasting apples I've ever tried.

Zero102
01-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Just to verify that these really are the same filter here is a pic:
http://i.imgur.com/0JnUG.jpg

InRich
01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
lol first thing when I saw this thread, I thought of my dad... and OP being cheap as fuck... lol. buddy if your struggling this hard with money, I can give u a job delivering flyers or something on the side for some extra cash ;)

Zero102
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by InRich
lol first thing when I saw this thread, I thought of my dad... and OP being cheap as fuck... lol. buddy if your struggling this hard with money, I can give u a job delivering flyers or something on the side for some extra cash ;)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33594561.jpg

r3ccOs
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
whatever... cheap or not

I recall that the GM filters are garbage, OEM'd probably by Fram and it was cheaper and better to buy a WIX from NAPA or auto value

call me cheap... but I perfer to buy "genuine" or better than parts made by a OEM manufacturer than patronize and get robbed by a franchise dealership's parts department.

if you can buy a part made by a company like BOSCH/Munroe/etc... which is 100% the same part, just without a sticker that the dealer slaps on, without the ridiculious markup, you're winning.

I have a buddy who worked at Auto-value, and I know that the majority of the inventory they move, is to car dealerships, not even mechanic shops.

89s1
01-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Slick, I do all the changes on my wife's 2012 Sonata.

Chances are its the same filter as the Optima, I'll just need to confirm that.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks.

Rat Fink
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM

rc2002
01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't own a Hyundai but I think this is good information for anyone who does. It's $40 in your pocket over 5 oil changes. It's nice of the OP to actually share this information.

$14/filter seems steep to me for a Hyundai oil filter.

snowcat
01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

This is beyond.ca. The cheapest people around.

dj_rice
01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

The reason for that is when an off-brand vehicle is being worked on, either a trade-in vehicle being repaired so it is decent to sell or a retail customer not wanting to pay for dealer parts.....or if a dealer part isn't in stock and the customer doesn't have time to wait so an aftermarket part is ordered.

Auto-Value does have the shittiest parts line (partsmaster) that I will never install on anyones vehicles. I'm thankful our dealer doesn't deal with Auto-Value

Bang on. Whenever we have any non-Nissan stuff come through Service for oil changes, we always use Purolator brand oil filters.

Personally myself if I'm sourcing for a customer, I try Dash Distributors first. Then PartsSource. Then NAPA. Never used Auto Value before.

HO2S
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

The reason for that is when an off-brand vehicle is being worked on, either a trade-in vehicle being repaired so it is decent to sell or a retail customer not wanting to pay for dealer parts.....or if a dealer part isn't in stock and the customer doesn't have time to wait so an aftermarket part is ordered.

Auto-Value does have the shittiest parts line (partsmaster) that I will never install on anyones vehicles. I'm thankful our dealer doesn't deal with Auto-Value

Their are plenty of dealers that put on aftermarket parts. I know of a few that buy 20 sets of brakes at a time form napa. Their are also dealers that have been caught putting on white box parts and calling them OES.
I totally agree with parts master, they are the shittiest parts around.

Some times OE filters are not the best. You have to keep in mind every part that the manufacture has not built them self's has been built by the lowest bidder that meets the manufactures spec. Fram builds a lot of OE filters. I have been told a few honda filters that fram builds will bypass at 8000km when fram's shittiest aftermarket will bypass at 16 000km.

But a lot of the time you need to put in a OE filter to appease the warranty asshole.

Zero102
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Slick, I do all the changes on my wife's 2012 Sonata.

Chances are its the same filter as the Optima, I'll just need to confirm that.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks.

Which engine does the sonata have? The 2.0T or .. I forget what the other one is...?

I would think you will find similar results. What does Hyundai charge for your filter? Is yours the cartridge filter?

Let us know if there is a big difference for you too.

Zero102
01-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by HO2S

I have been told a few honda filters that fram builds will bypass at 8000km when fram's shittiest aftermarket will bypass at 16 000km.

You might want to check your sources on that one and do some reading over on BITOG, that is pretty much completely unfounded and untrue. Whoever told you that clearly has an agenda they are pushing or just don't know the facts.

HO2S
01-20-2013, 11:38 PM

You might want to check your sources on that one and do some reading over on BITOG, that is pretty much completely unfounded and untrue. Whoever told you that clearly has an agenda they are pushing or just don't know the facts.
My info comes from jay buckley who works for fram in the manufacturing side, he has nothing to do with sales. Im not pulling this info off of a random internet page. I get it from a technicians resource that I pay to be apart of.

A few days ago I replaced a evap purge valve on a Pontiac vibe. The valve from GM was $300, its a Toyota engine in the car and the exact same valve from Toyota was $180.
This is nothing new, its called profit margins.

Zero102
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

My info comes from jay buckley who works for fram in the manufacturing side, he has nothing to do with sales. Im not pulling this info off of a random internet page. I get it from a technicians resource that I pay to be apart of.

A few days ago I replaced a evap purge valve on a Pontiac vibe. The valve from GM was $300, its a Toyota engine in the car and the exact same valve from Toyota was $180.
This is nothing new, its called profit margins.

As for the Pontiac vs Toyota thing, I am surprised the pricing went that way around, but it is just an extension of what I was trying to help show by posting this thread. When parts are shared between makes always check the other brand, you might save a bunch of money. Unlike what some people on here think - You don't have to be poor to appreciate saving money, and $120 is a lot of happy meals :thumbsup:

HO2S
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM

As for the Pontiac vs Toyota thing, I am surprised the pricing went that way around, but it is just an extension of what I was trying to help show by posting this thread. When parts are shared between makes always check the other brand, you might save a bunch of money. Unlike what some people on here think - You don't have to be poor to appreciate saving money, and $120 is a lot of happy meals :thumbsup:
Thats how GM is pulling its self out of the shitter and pulling profits again. All of their part prices have gone up.

Hyundai and kia share alot of parts, hyundai has a better reputation and is more expensive so the can get away with a higher profit margin on the same parts.

HiTempguy1
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM

they both told me that proof OEM filters were used would be required

A dealership and the people that work there would lie to you (especially about a big investment such as a new car) to get more of your money? Inconceivable!

Seriously though, they can not void your warranty for using aftermarket parts. The only way it could be "iffy" is if said part failed, then I could imagine you being SOL.

Zero102
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Let's say the lifter tick I have finally gets bad enough that I take it into have the cam and lifters replaced and they see an aftermarket oil filter on the car. One common mistake when picking the correct oil filter for a car is to pick one without an anti-drainback valve, or with the wrong pressure bypass valve. They could suggest that the cause of my top end problems is insufficient oiling and that was caused by incorrect oil filters. Then it'd be on my hands to prove that the filters I am using are indeed correct and meet technical requirements that I cannot obtain. Sounds like a shitty deal to me. There is one less thing to worry about when I use OEM filters, especially when I already have hints of a mechanical problem.

Once I'm out of warranty I won't be using OEM filters any more, that's for sure, but until then I'm playing it safe.

HO2S
01-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

A dealership and the people that work there would lie to you (especially about a big investment such as a new car) to get more of your money? Inconceivable!

Seriously though, they can not void your warranty for using aftermarket parts. The only way it could be "iffy" is if said part failed, then I could imagine you being SOL.
Yes they can. and they do.

HiTempguy1
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Yes they can. and they do.

No they can't. This has been discussed ad nauseum, including on this board. You are allowed to use non-original equipment manufacturer (ie: fram filters, auto value cheap ball joints, whatever) and they can not void your warranty.

ExtraSlow
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Nobody has ever answered this for me, but in the USofA, they have the Magnusson Moss Act, which basically states that if an aftermarket part is installed, the dealer has to prove that part caused a failure before they can deny the warranty claim.

No idea if a similar law exists in Canada or not. It should.

Back to the original topic, if a dealer can void your warranty for using an aftermarket fram oil filter, then why couldn't they void your warranty for using a Kia filter intead of the approved Hyundai one? They'll have different part numbers, so that "proves" that they are different.

HO2S
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
So when you put a shitty oil filter in a 5.4L ford, and the oil pressure rips it apart and plugs the oil gallerys in the head then your cams seize. Should ford warranty that engine because you put in a aftermarket filter that destroyed the engine? A lot of aftermarket filters do not meet ford spec. Your warranty will not be approved. If you have a engine failure and there is a aftermarket filter in there you might be sol for any manufacture.

Rat Fink
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Sugarphreak
01-22-2013, 07:01 PM

MGCM
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
all i have to say is that u better make damn sure that filter u use on your hyundai has a proper check valve.........unless u like your engine starved for oil

Rat Fink
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM

HO2S
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
all i have to say is that u better make damn sure that filter u use on your hyundai has a proper check valve.........unless u like your engine starved for oil

There is a lot internet talk about drain back valves. For almost any filter you buy from any parts store even walmart is going to have a drain back valve. The only time you have to worry is when your buying filters off ebay from china or knock off parts (white box parts). To be totally honest it has been many years since Ive even seen a filter without one.

There is a lot of hate for fram filters, and a lot of people think they build crap filters including myself. A bunch of years ago they moved the majority of their production to china. After that they had lots of problems with their cartridge filters splitting and ford engines ripping them up and other problems. Last year or so they got a new CEO, and he moved production back to north america. Since then they have bought out airtex and a few other bottom of the barrel manufactures and apparently are trying to rebuild their name. So I guess we will see what happens.

Zero102
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Back to the original topic, if a dealer can void your warranty for using an aftermarket fram oil filter, then why couldn't they void your warranty for using a Kia filter intead of the approved Hyundai one? They'll have different part numbers, so that "proves" that they are different.

That is exactly my point in posting this thread. They are the same part, same part number, same exact item inside the box, right down to the Hyundai logo right beside the Kia logo on the filter itself. They are the same.

Originally posted by MGCM

Yeah, I am pretty sure the factory filters have the correct ADBVs in them.

nobb
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I was picking up parts from the dealer today and noticed this display comparing fake to OEM oil filters (I didn't even know there exists fake filters):

http://i.imgur.com/tKW28Vhl.jpg

The filter media is noticeably smaller and feels "cheaper" on the fake filter. I think it literally is just cardboard. Also, there's no bypass valve as the top of the filter is sealed. Lastly, the anti drain-back valve was REALLY flimsy and didnt look like it even sealed at all. In comparison, the Hyundai filter uses a silicon anti drain-back that sealed nicely!

Just thought this was interesting.

r3ccOs
02-24-2013, 10:28 AM
So when you put a shitty oil filter in a 5.4L ford, and the oil pressure rips it apart and plugs the oil gallerys in the head then your cams seize. Should ford warranty that engine because you put in a aftermarket filter that destroyed the engine? A lot of aftermarket filters do not meet ford spec. Your warranty will not be approved. If you have a engine failure and there is a aftermarket filter in there you might be sol for any manufacture.

all I can says is, that's BS

non-ford SAE certified filters are NOT the reason why there have been so many issues with cam phaser problems with these Triton engines.

due to lack of oil pressure to these phasers, have known to wear as much as 40+ degrees out, essentially blowing straight out unburnt fuel directly into the exhaust manifold like a flame thrower

Even with those people whom I know, who meticulously change their oil with Ford genuine products, using nothing by synthetics have seen the same issue, well before 150k, where their engine can barely idle

THIS and the poor design of how the spark plugs seats in
the heads are the worst part of the engine

why Ford won't admit to a recall is just due to the obvious cost, but the issues are design issues regardless.

also
I think the issues surrounding not so much "imitation" but rather counterfeit parts from china are going to show up in legitimate stores, which are going to cause potential health and safety issues when they fail.

HO2S
02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

all I can says is, that's BS

non-ford SAE certified filters are NOT the reason why there have been so many issues with cam phaser problems with these Triton engines.

due to lack of oil pressure to these phasers, have known to wear as much as 40+ degrees out, essentially blowing straight out unburnt fuel directly into the exhaust manifold like a flame thrower

Even with those people whom I know, who meticulously change their oil with Ford genuine products, using nothing by synthetics have seen the same issue, well before 150k, where their engine can barely idle

THIS and the poor design of how the spark plugs seats in
the heads are the worst part of the engine

why Ford won't admit to a recall is just due to the obvious cost, but the issues are design issues regardless.

also
I think the issues surrounding not so much "imitation" but rather counterfeit parts from china are going to show up in legitimate stores, which are going to cause potential health and safety issues when they fail.

The cam phasers/timing chains have a bunch of problems. The first and most common is the chain tensioner seals blow out causing chain rattles. The phasers get their oil from the same lubrication circuit as the front and rear main bearings. So when people use the wrong oil and the main bearings wear, it drops the oil pressure to the phasers causing cam timing codes and noise.
Again the dealer should not warranty that engine because the customer used the wrong oil. You should look up what ford has recommended for oil spec on the 5.4 and a lot of the off the shelf 5w-20 does not meet that spec.
When the engine rips up a filter is fucks everything up, The cams just get it the worst.

Why should ford recall the pulgs? it is not a danger to anyone. Its just a shitty design. If you change the plugs when ford recommends they generally don't stick in. The problem is when people put 200 000km on the plugs.