PDA

View Full Version : anyone make bike cages?

97luder
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
i know there are some places/ people in calgary who make roll cages for cars and just wanted to know if anyone knows/or would make a cage for street bike?(stunt/crash cage)

Graham_A_M
01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
I was about to at my last shop, but I was layed off before I could produce any. :(

Which bike is it for?

Go4Long
01-16-2013, 07:10 AM
and as a more important question, what is it you think you need a cage to do? are you planning on doing stunting? or is this more in terms of a crash protection? a cage isn't always the best answer.

If it's just for crash protection maybe something like rails would be a better choice, they're not quite as hideous as a cage:

http://www.powersstuntworx.com/categories/Race-Railz/

you're not going to get the same "protection" as a cage, but it's a little less restrictive.

97luder
01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
will be for a 2006 R6. and yes will be stunted

ercchry
01-16-2013, 09:19 PM
does the r6 have oiling issues when up on the back tire? i know a few fab guys that could probably do it. but i dont think there would be much for local guys that have "kits" put together :dunno:

is there not company that offers a kit for that bike? that would probably be the cheapest route since any labour outside of alberta is going to be WAY cheaper

97luder
01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
does the r6 have oiling issues when up on the back tire? i know a few fab guys that could probably do it. but i dont think there would be much for local guys that have "kits" put together :dunno:

is there not company that offers a kit for that bike? that would probably be the cheapest route since any labour outside of alberta is going to be WAY cheaper

Nope no oiling issues on 06+,

yeah i found 1 company cage and sub cage is $580 shipped from US. But i thought id ask if any one was looking to make some cash to fab one depending on price

ercchry
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
yeah i feel like that would be tough to beat after fab and powder coating... and material. if it was a one off thing, then sure. but if you just need a standard cage that bolts on. you probably will be hard to beat the pre-made shit

97luder
01-16-2013, 09:39 PM
yeah i figured as mush but thought id ask, rather give my money to a canadian

Ps would not need to be powder coated

ercchry
01-16-2013, 09:41 PM
but for $580 it would be, right?

e31
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Do you have any examples of a cage you like or are you just looking for functionality? All I can find is this, and I don't think that it is a very good design (relying on those tabs on the front of the engine). Would you drill holes in your bodywork if it meant a stronger attaching point?
http://www.naarden.biz/images/SickInnov/Cages/yam-r6-cage%202006-2009-2.jpg

Revhard
01-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Honestly, this is a shelf item for sure.
If you want to support local, (which is good) then take it to one of the bike shops in town that has a good fab guy. They will be adept at taking parts off, etc.
Seen a few designs up close and personal, and I can tell you don't do aluminum. They scar up so bad.

Check these guys out....

lucid kustoms (http://www.lucidkustoms.com/)