PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Chirping Issue...Help???

guessboi
01-16-2013, 11:23 PM
All 3 of my hard wired smoke alarms in the house has been chirping about every minute or so for the past few weeks and I can't solve this problem.

- It is not the alarms itself or the battery.
- I even turned off my circuit breaker with all the alarms off the wiring..still chirps
- The chirping is inside the ceiling.

The house is only 2 years old. Help! :banghead:

Sugarphreak
01-16-2013, 11:38 PM

guessboi
01-17-2013, 12:18 AM
No security system and I checked around the control box and there is no backup battery. :nut:

Zhariak
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by guessboi
All 3 of my hard wired smoke alarms in the house has been chirping about every minute or so for the past few weeks and I can't solve this problem.

- It is not the alarms itself or the battery.
- I even turned off my circuit breaker with all the alarms off the wiring..still chirps
- The chirping is inside the ceiling.

The house is only 2 years old. Help! :banghead:

Usually when the alarms chirp, it's either a) the battery inside the fire detector is dying, or b) it's time to replace the fire detector.

Actually further on to this... Once I thought mine were doing this... Turns out in my case it was a carbon monoxide detector that had it's battery dying, I just thought it was the fire detector (I got up over 8 times trying to find out where the noise was coming from).

SOAB
01-17-2013, 09:01 AM
yes, it usually means that the back-up battery is dying.

codetrap
01-17-2013, 09:51 AM

schocker
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Mine were chirping, then sometimes were actually saying fire fire, took them off and narrowed it down, both are hard wired but one has a backup battery, both good for many more years. Used compressed air and then vacuumed them and haven't had an issue since. That could be one thing to try.

brandon
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
As mentioned above... it sounds like an alarm battery needs replacing! Look in your utilities room and see if you can spot a beige can on the wall.

Open it up (usually held shut with a screw at the top or bottom of the can) and you should see a battery unit inside.

If it is that case then take the battery to Battery Direct as you will find them for the best price there.

That being said.. if you do not have a security system then I have no f'n idea! unless someone put a wireless smoke in your attic by accident...?

guessboi
01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Called Kidde this morning to locate this sound and actually is coming from a portable fire alarm - that's the culprit.
The sound did not come from the ceiling. :facepalm:

Thanks guys.