PDA

View Full Version : Need some HID light info

Boosted131
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I am trying to get some HID's for my truck and am not sure the difference between 1-hid, 2-hid, 3-bi-xenon, etc?

Here are the options I have:
http://www.vvme.com/search-result?search_options=1&option_1=10,33,15

I want to get something off this site as I had them in my car for 4 years and they never had an issue.

Not sure if I need 35/55 watt? Really confused as when I got them for my car there was only 2 options...

DeleriousZ
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
1 is single beam hid, 2 is hid low halogen high, 3 is bi-xenon hid low/high.

hrdkore
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
you just need to see what lamp/bulb type and get the corresponding HID kit. I'm assuming your truck has separate bulbs for High beam/ low beam, if you want to switch both you'll need to know both types. Another thing to check is if you have DRLs. Sometimes in other vehicles the drls use the regular low beam lights and when you switch over to HID in most cases that function will not work.

typical HID is 35W, 55W just means brighter.

Boosted131
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok, its a dakota, it has DRL, then normal lights are brighter than DRL, and then high beams... I mainly just want to switch the normal lights when in the 'on' position. The highbeams are fine how they are since I won't use them with HID's

bart
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
hid?? full led is the new thing to put into your headlights :)

http://www.m25audi.co.uk/images/audi/a6/new-audi-a6-led-headlights-02.jpg

Disoblige
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
^^ Wow, looks pricey ;)
And I suspect people who stuff HID kits into Dakotas, etc. are looking for value haha.

Disoblige
01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
DP.

hrdkore
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
so in doing some light googling, it seems that your low/high beams come from the same bulb? if this is correct you should go with the bi xenon and just pick a colour. 3000k(yellow)- 4000k(white) 6000k(white with bluish hue)

Boosted131
01-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Wow, looks pricey ;)
And I suspect people who stuff HID kits into Dakotas, etc. are looking for value haha. Well the kits are like 50 bucks and work great. Might get them for bike and quad too.

I will check if they both share the same bulb.

btimbit
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Well the kits are like 50 bucks and work great. Might get them for bike and quad too.

I will check if they both share the same bulb.

Don't get sucked in by the marketing garbage, those aren't complete kits. You need projectors. If you put those in your stock halogen lenses, you're not going to get any good light output

Anyway, 35w would be fine, and you want bi-xenon since you have dual low/high on one bulb

Disoblige
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I guess a lot of people these days like seeing middle fingers, lol.

phil98z24
01-19-2013, 05:30 AM
I am trying to get some HID's for my truck and am not sure the difference between 1-hid, 2-hid, 3-bi-xenon, etc?

Here are the options I have:
http://www.vvme.com/search-result?search_options=1&option_1=10,33,15

I want to get something off this site as I had them in my car for 4 years and they never had an issue.

Not sure if I need 35/55 watt? Really confused as when I got them for my car there was only 2 options...

Unless you plan on doing a proper retrofit, then none of the above. You will have hot spots and less light output than stock, and you will be blinding everyone. Couple that with guys like me who believe that shitty HID kits in trucks are a public safety risk and will remove your truck from the road until its fixed, it suddenly becomes a crappy proposition.

slinkie
01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

Unless you plan on doing a proper retrofit, then none of the above. You will have hot spots and less light output than stock, and you will be blinding everyone. Couple that with guys like me who believe that shitty HID kits in trucks are a public safety risk and will remove your truck from the road until its fixed, it suddenly becomes a crappy proposition.

Why do people on here always say that you will have worse output than stock? Lol do you really think all these old moms and old pickup guys are putting them in to have blingin blue headlights?

My old car had them from the previous owner and you could see way easier than with the conventional bulbs, yes it was scattered all over the place but when you're the driver, that's just another bonus. It is especially noticable outside of town or in areas with zero street lighting.

With that said yes I find them annoyingly bright in traffic and I wouldn't put them into one of my cars, but come on, worse output? Seriously?

96integra
01-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Here comes the HID police. You guys need to understand not all drivers are car enthusiasts that care about nice projectors with colourful cutoffs to not blind people. Some just want to be ricey. Some want to spend a fraction of what it costs for a retrofit to have brighter lights. I don't know many people who can take on the retrofit themselves. I don't think people realize how much time and money is put into these projects.

OP asked what's the difference between the 3 kits, not how to make you happy. I am all for projector retrofits because I do hate HIDs but acting all "Scat" is a lost cause.

Originally posted by slinkie

Why do people on here always say that you will have worse output than stock? Lol do you really think all these old moms and old pickup guys are putting them in to have blingin blue headlights?

My old car had them from the previous owner and you could see way easier than with the conventional bulbs, yes it was scattered all over the place but when you're the driver, that's just another bonus. It is especially noticable outside of town or in areas with zero street lighting.

With that said yes I find them annoyingly bright in traffic and I wouldn't put them into one of my cars, but come on, worse output? Seriously?

Agreed. When driving beside vehicles with HIDs, it seems their output floods over my projectors. Projectors disperse light evenly whereas HID in halogen housings will focus more in front of the vehicle and will be brighter in certain spots.

Boosted131
01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I know for sure it's not worse output... Never had projectors on any vehicles and it was way easier to see, especially driving down the highway late at night with no road lights .

ktms3
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Call corecustoms.ca and they will provide you with info!

FraserB
01-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Glad to see there are cops that will actually do something about these retards:clap:

OP; If you are seriously lacking output for out of town driving, just get a set of driving lights. 100% legal when used properly and most useful light output. Or do a proper projector swap.

DeleriousZ
01-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 96integra
[B]

Here comes the HID police. You guys need to understand not all drivers are car enthusiasts that care about nice projectors with colourful cutoffs to not blind people. Some just want to be ricey. Some want to spend a fraction of what it costs for a retrofit to have brighter lights. I don't know many people who can take on the retrofit themselves. I don't think people realize how much time and money is put into these projects.

If I was able to, I'd kick every single person on the road that was using hid's in non projector lenses in the crotch multiple times. It's so fucking annoying and inconsiderate.

CivicDXR
01-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Here comes the ___ police.

Removed the HID from your sentence to make it true. ;)

All valid points in this thread, I've been through it.

For the OP:

I for one have had HIDs in my old Civic (from VVME) and old Tacoma (Porsche bulbs and ballast with an adapter sleeve). My WRX came with normal projectors that I put a VVME kit on, but have since retrofitted actual bi-xenon HID projectors into the housing and couldn't be happier, I will never again put an HID kit into a car that is meant for halogens unless I do a retrofit.

Yes you're right, the light output is better. But your beam pattern is crappier. Like the others said, you get light flying in all sorts of weird ways, you get spots on the ground that get more light, and some that get less, and the worst of all, it distracts and blinds other drivers. Your housing and lens are not meant for an HID bulb. They are meant for a halogen bulb and are set to reflect the halogen beam properly.

You have a non-HID options. Getting better visibility bulbs such as the GE Nighthawks or the Sylvania Silverstar is a good option. These provide decent visibility, and the brightest light output without sacrificing light intensity, all while whitening up the light.

If you feel you must go the VVME route, here are your answers to the questions you asked (and no, you do not need the 55W, stick with 35W):

-HID-1: single HID bulb, no provision for a DRL/High beam depending on how your single bulb system works (probably what you've had already).

-HID-2: single HID bulb, with a little halogen bulb beside it. May work as a DRL depending on how your system works, useless for a high beam since the bulb is so tiny

-HID-Bi-Xenon: single HID bulb, but with a relax and slider/flipper that moves the position of your HID bulb when you get the high beam switch. The bulbs flip/angle or slide away from the shield to reflect more, thus getting brighter as a high beam should

As for temperature, stick with 4300-5000K. Anything higher and you lose actual light output. The blue and purple HID may look cool and seem like they are lighting up the road better, but your eyes are fooling you due to the color.

Like someone said earlier, LEDs are a good viable option, but only on cars that already come with them stock. The LEDs do not provide enough heat to clear the lens of ice and snow like current headlamps do. All factory vehicles that come with LED headlamps have headlamp washer sprayers to help with that. Add to the fact that they are ridiculously expensive at this time, and that takes them out of the equation.

Hope that answers everything.

rc2002
01-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Couple that with guys like me who believe that shitty HID kits in trucks are a public safety risk and will remove your truck from the road until its fixed, it suddenly becomes a crappy proposition.

Thank you. I always thought it wasn't worth the hassle for cops since I see so many of these trucks with ricer HID kits.

In cars, they are annoying and blinding. It's so much worse in a truck since they are so much higher up.

Originally posted by FraserB
Glad to see there are cops that will actually do something about these retards:clap:

:thumbsup:

Disoblige
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
phil98z24, you're my favorite police officer haha.
I really wish officers like you would spread the word to other officers so people can get tickets for this. That way, we just might see less of this on the road. Even a news segment on this would be nice, since it looks like the majority of people are uneducated. I agree that going all "Scat" on the topic is a lost cause, since people are going to do it anyways.

Trucks especially, because they have HIDs as their low beam, I see trucks (lifted and non-lifted) on Deerfoot at night VERY OFTEN with no taillights on, and just their HIDs. Annoying and dangerous :facepalm:

ddduke
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
There isn't even a point of educating this super troll, he's just too ignorant, cheap and stupid. Just let him put his shitty ass hid kit in his truck and hope that he gets electrocuted while doing it.

luxor
01-20-2013, 11:26 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't give a shit if someone doesn't know how to do a retrofit or you can't afford it. Don't put a fucking HID kits into headlights designed for halogens, simple as that.

What's worse is these lifted truck losers put 8000K HIDs into their foglights too.

:facepalm:

DeleriousZ
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by luxor
What's worse is these lifted truck losers put 8000K HIDs into their foglights too.

:facepalm:

I saw some guy driving around with 15000k bulbs in his jeep the other day, not joking, they were PURPLE. Can't imagine that'll last for long.

xolemonteaox
01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
There isn't even a point of educating this super troll, he's just too ignorant, cheap and stupid. Just let him put his shitty ass hid kit in his truck and hope that he gets electrocuted while doing it.
It would make sense if this was verified to be the same troll that talked crap to you and lowballed you in the bike thread. Strange he would deny that ever happened though. Embarrassed?

btimbit
01-20-2013, 11:49 PM

:dunno: Can still buy aftermarket projector housings, not going to be as good as a retrofit, but still an improvement.

I still would like to attempt to get another HID-Halogen idiot off the road. I agree going all "scat" on people isn't necessary, he did it to me once when I asked about HID's and it went on for about a page and a half before he found out I did a retrofit:rofl:

Originally posted by xolemonteaox

It would make sense if this was verified to be the same troll that talked crap to you and lowballed you in the bike thread. Strange he would deny that ever happened though. Embarrassed?
lolwut. Got some sort of e-beef?:cry: :cry:

ddduke
01-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

lolwut. Got some sort of e-beef?:cry: :cry:

Haha, no e-beef. I just know this kid is a loser and he pissed me off a few times.

He basically sent me a lowball, I told him no, gave him my bottom dollar and then left it at that.

2 weeks later he sends me another lowball, which I say no to, he then starts to lowball me on everything I own. I tell him to stop texting me and he doesn't (kept my phone on cause it was being used as my alarm), starts telling me I'm a poor weekend worker and he's an exec so he can stay up and then just keeps sending messages.

when I tell him to stop texting me cause I'm up early he sent me:

that's pocket change

im an exec so weekends are off

well a month salary

not like poor weekend workers

can't call too loud here, text me

I looked up his number and his quad popped up for sale on kijiji and a dakota topper, I remembered a guy from the boards that had similar stuff. Sure enough buddy sent me a pm a few months back asking me to go quadding with him and attached him number.

He sent me 102 fucking texts talking shit and not leaving me alone.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Hey OP, fuck you!

DeleriousZ
01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Wow no kidding, that's a pretty big douche move.

Unknown303
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Report him to the police. Sounds like harassment to me.

Boosted131
01-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Haha, no e-beef. I just know this kid is a loser and he pissed me off a few times.

He basically sent me a lowball, I told him no, gave him my bottom dollar and then left it at that.

2 weeks later he sends me another lowball, which I say no to, he then starts to lowball me on everything I own. I tell him to stop texting me and he doesn't (kept my phone on cause it was being used as my alarm), starts telling me I'm a poor weekend worker and he's an exec so he can stay up and then just keeps sending messages.

when I tell him to stop texting me cause I'm up early he sent me:

that's pocket change

im an exec so weekends are off

well a month salary

not like poor weekend workers

can't call too loud here, text me

I looked up his number and his quad popped up for sale on kijiji and a dakota topper, I remembered a guy from the boards that had similar stuff. Sure enough buddy sent me a pm a few months back asking me to go quadding with him and attached him number.

He sent me 102 fucking texts talking shit and not leaving me alone. When did I ever low ball you? I don't even know you man. As for the thread it's not trolling at all, I need brighter lights for night time highway driving... Unless your the person I got my wolverine off - lowballed 400 off asking price lol

ddduke
01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
When did I ever low ball you? I don't even know you man. As for the thread it's not trolling at all, I need brighter lights for night time highway driving... Unless your the person I got my wolverine off - lowballed 400 off asking price lol

It wasn't just a lowball (twice, about 10 days apart). After I basically told you to fuck off you kept talking shit.

Here's proof that it was your number texting me because you sent me a PM with it:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/lowball3_zps55595686.png

I told you TWICE my bottom dollar was 3400 and I would not go lower. I was in no rush to sell so don't waste my time or yours. Mind you, at 3400 it was still a very very good deal. Here's a screenshot of one of your lowballs with the same number in the corner followed by you being a lippy little fuck (notice on the last text before the lowball the date, we already had a conversation days earlier):
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/lowball_zps91df31c9.png

Then here's you going on and on even though I told you twice to fuck off:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/lowball2_zps43f837bc.png

The reason I call you a troll is because you're on beyond talking about putting hids on a truck. Anyone who does that has to either be stupid or a super troll, you're both.

Unknown303
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Ha Boosted131 is Beyond's super douche of the year right there. Plus he's just a kid and definitely makes shit for money.

FraserB
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/lowball2_zps43f837bc.png

Can someone please tell me what this means?

Insert "My mind is full of fuck.jpg" here.

Disoblige
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Did Boosted131 just say he's an exec but makes $2200 a month? :rofl:

Boosted131
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Surely that wasn't me if it's December... Already had both my quad before then... Which one were you selling then because maybe it was my friend I dunno.

And why is hid in a truck stupid? If I do it properly there's no issue, or might just get some brighter norml lights .

btimbit
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Can someone please tell me what this means?

Insert "My mind is full of fuck.jpg" here.

Basically, OP is a douche.

I was working with ddduke at the time this was happening (If the date and time is correct). We were up pretty early, to work in -30 weather. Keeping him up until 1:00am with dickhead lowball offers on a quad, is a douchey move.

ddduke
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Surely that wasn't me if it's December... Already had both my quad before then... Which one were you selling then because maybe it was my friend I dunno.

Yeah, you're probably right. Your friend stole your phone just to send out lowball offers and piss people off.

I hate when my friends do that.

Boosted131
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. Your friend stole your phone just to send out lowball offers and piss people off.

I hate when my friends do that. I let a few trying to find quads... And if it was 1am they're probably drink lol. But sorry that happened, not trying to be a troll this thread is serious.

btimbit
01-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Well troll or not, I still don't want to be blinded by him driving towards me

So buy something like these as well OP

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ipc-cws-411c2/overview/year/2003/make/dodge/model/dakota

Easy way to get HID's and stay legal

skyfx
01-22-2013, 12:15 AM

I hate when my friends do that.

I let a few trying to find quads... And if it was 1am they're probably drink lol. But sorry that happened, not trying to be a troll this thread is serious.

Right... something seems off year...seems like you just got busted and are denying everything right now.