PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback Leather Wallet Group Buy?

davidI
01-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Anyone interested in Saddleback Leather Wallets?

These things get great reviews and come with a lifetime warranty. Last wallet you'll ever need. Best part is, they look better and better with age (Google search these wallets and you'll find some photos of warn wallets from these guys).

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

I think I'm going to order a couple in the next few weeks (Classic ID and Classic Card).

It would seem shipping is around $30 no matter how many I buy so if anyone wants to split the cost on the shipping I'd be happy to make the order and we can meet up for a beer in February to make the exchange. Not sure if there will be customs fees or not but they'll have to be added on too.

The $30 is no big deal, but it would buy a round or two and makes a good excuse for a quick Beyond meet downtown.

ExtraSlow
01-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I have two of these wallets and my wife has one also and I think they are great. i have the wallet sleeve and the smallest bifold wallet.
I'm sure you know this if you've been doing your homework but the leather is incredibly stiff when you first get it. Not at all broken in, that's up to the buyer. I don't mind, but anyone expecting it to be as soft as a thin gucci wallet will be dissapointed.

I'll go in with you on a belt and iphone case instead of a wallet, assuming that doesn't mess up your shipping. PM sent.

davidI
01-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Damn, I'm playing around a bit more and it looks like the pricing does change with additional products. Wallets don't change the price much (or at all) but heavier items will.

I'll still consider doing this, but it may not be worth the effort and hassle to save a few bucks.

el_fefes
01-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I would be interested.

davidI
01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes
I would be interested.

What are you interested in? Let me know and I'll have to do some number crunching as far as the shipping charges go to see if it makes sense to make a bulk purchase or not.

LongCity
01-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Anyone interested in Tanner Goods, instead? They have larger variety but does cost more.

davidI
01-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by LongCity
Anyone interested in Tanner Goods, instead? They have larger variety but does cost more.

It looks like they sell Tanner Goods at Club Monaco in Chinook.

Their stuff looks nice, but a bit too hipster / artsy for my personal tastes. If you're looking for a thin wallet that may be the way to go though.

I like the Saddleback stuff because it's burly.

tirebob
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
I have three saddleback wallets. The smallest ID one, the small bifold and a medium Bifold. I use the small bifold day to day and the smaller id one when traveling. The medium bifold I don't use much as I tend to stuff it too full and the smaller ones force me to empty them quickly.

The leather is really good. They are stiff as hell up front but they do break in very nicely.

LongCity
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by davidI

It looks like they sell Tanner Goods at Club Monaco in Chinook.

Their stuff looks nice, but a bit too hipster / artsy for my personal tastes. If you're looking for a thin wallet that may be the way to go though.

I like the Saddleback stuff because it's burly.

Ahh, okay. Didn't know that but I'll check it out. Thanks.

KRyn
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Interested in the Classic Wallet and/or leather ID Wallet. If you do order let me know.

davidI
01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
I have three saddleback wallets. The smallest ID one, the small bifold and a medium Bifold. I use the small bifold day to day and the smaller id one when traveling. The medium bifold I don't use much as I tend to stuff it too full and the smaller ones force me to empty them quickly.

The leather is really good. They are stiff as hell up front but they do break in very nicely.

Thanks for that info! I've been reading a few review sites and watched a few youtube videos but still haven't decided on what I want.

I think I'll go with the small bifold and then either the classic ID or classic card.

Do you put cash in your classic ID? I'm sort of thinking I may just get the classic card and a money clip for traveling...

Tomaz
01-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Saw this on the website, and lol'd

Are the animals tortured before they are slaughtered?
Absolutely not ! With some pigs we do use waterboarding and sensory deprivation techniques previous to slaughtering them, but the cows do not require any special handling.

I'm interested in either the ID wallet, or the medium bifold.

tirebob
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Thanks for that info! I've been reading a few review sites and watched a few youtube videos but still haven't decided on what I want.

I think I'll go with the small bifold and then either the classic ID or classic card.

Do you put cash in your classic ID? I'm sort of thinking I may just get the classic card and a money clip for traveling...

You can fold some bills and insert them in the spot between the ID side and the card side. You just can't carry big stacks. I like the small bilfold a lot. If you happen to be up by the shop stop in and you can check it out in person before you buy...

Willie Bobo
01-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I have the ID wallet, small bifold wallet and medium gadget sleeve. All are excellent.

The main thing ordering with them is to order over the phone as the shipping amount quoted on the website is way off (around twice as much.)

logi
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
how many cards does the bi fold roughly hold? i know its not meant to hold alot of cards but it looks pretty tight

Str1der
01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I'd be down for a Passport Wallet:
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-Passport?sc=8&category=87

A bit off topic - If any of you are interested, I have a medium, carbon black, classic briefcase for sale.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Shop/Bags-Briefcases
http://media.saddlebackleather.com/Products/Business-Bags/CLC-BC/CLC-BC-MD-CB-SLC01B-1900.jpg

tirebob
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Str1der
I'd be down for a Passport Wallet:
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-Passport?sc=8&category=87

A bit off topic - If any of you are interested, I have a medium, carbon black, classic briefcase for sale.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Shop/Bags-Briefcases
http://media.saddlebackleather.com/Products/Business-Bags/CLC-BC/CLC-BC-MD-CB-SLC01B-1900.jpg If it was tabacco or dark coffee I would be all over it! I am not sure about the black though... if you have it and want to bring it by the shop, I would be interested in seeing if I like the black in person and if so we might be able to work something out...

msommers
01-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Not sure how these compare to Adrian Klis products but the wallet I have is pretty darn nice and made of buffalo hide. I have this one (http://www.canadaleathers.com/styles/212.html). Nice to have Alberta leather too.

davidI
01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo
I have the ID wallet, small bifold wallet and medium gadget sleeve. All are excellent.

The main thing ordering with them is to order over the phone as the shipping amount quoted on the website is way off (around twice as much.)

Thanks! Great tip.

Alright folks, I'm happy to see there is so much interest but I'm not sure I'll be able to follow through with doing a "Group Buy". I was just offered a new job yesterday and am not sure if I'll be in Calgary long enough in February to organize all of this.

If someone else wants to pick up the reins that would be great, but I'm not sure there will be enough savings to make it worth while. Great to see some discussion of the wallets though! :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
This made me order one today (not in Calgary) but I ordered BEFORE the by phone tip dammit!

ExtraSlow
01-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Not sure how these compare to Adrian Klis products but the wallet I have is pretty darn nice and made of buffalo hide. I have this one (http://www.canadaleathers.com/styles/212.html). Nice to have Alberta leather too. I've had two of the Adrian Klis buffalo hide wallets. Those are excellent quality. I'm pretty sure the Klis wallets are made of split hide, and they start out very soft. I'm sure they won't last as long as the Saddleback ones, but they are nicer to use "right away". Klis used some fabric in the two I had. That's not always a negative, it cuts down on bulk for sure. Whereas Sadleback uses leather only. Klis makes some unreal bags too. Bought my wife a purse from him and it's amazing.

So, in summary, both great wallets, but very different.

For anyone wondering how saddleback compares to ***ANY*** wallet, herre's a summary. Thicker leather, stiffer, harder to break in, will last longer.
Some people want a nice soft leather wallet from day one. If that's you, DO NOT buy Saddleback, they are stiff as hell when you get them. They take a LONG time to break in.

I'll run this group buy, end date not determined yet, but I'll give 1 weeks notice before closing the orders. Any member with under a +10 trader rating will require to email money transer me the funds before I send the order.

I'll do the order by phone to get an accurate shipping cost. The one on the website is insane.

davidI
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for stepping up to the plate man! :thumbsup:

tirebob
01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for stepping up to the plate man! :thumbsup:

Hey David,

I have all 3 of my wallets at work if you do want to check them out before buying. They all serve a bit if a different purpose so seeing them in person might be helpful. If you do want to stop by, call ahead if you are going to be any later than 2:00/3:00pm as I will bug out early if it is slow...

msommers
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I've had two of the Adrian Klis buffalo hide wallets. Those are excellent quality. I'm pretty sure the Klis wallets are made of split hide, and they start out very soft. I'm sure they won't last as long as the Saddleback ones, but they are nicer to use "right away". Klis used some fabric in the two I had. That's not always a negative, it cuts down on bulk for sure. Whereas Sadleback uses leather only. Klis makes some unreal bags too. Bought my wife a purse from him and it's amazing.

So, in summary, both great wallets, but very different.

For anyone wondering how saddleback compares to ***ANY*** wallet, herre's a summary. Thicker leather, stiffer, harder to break in, will last longer.
Some people want a nice soft leather wallet from day one. If that's you, DO NOT buy Saddleback, they are stiff as hell when you get them. They take a LONG time to break in.

Great comparison, thanks for the info!

JRSC00LUDE
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Bob! Tell us more about the difference from small to medium with the bifolds could you? How "slim" are they with a four or five cards (credit, debit, id, etc.) in them?

sputnik
01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Bob! Tell us more about the difference from small to medium with the bifolds could you? How "slim" are they with a four or five cards (credit, debit, id, etc.) in them?

The Saddleback videos do a good job comparing them.

JRSC00LUDE
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The Saddleback videos do a good job comparing them.

Actually, nothing in those videos gives me any indication on how they are once you put stuff in them and that's what I'm looking for. I want to know more than what they look like, if you put a few things in and then it's an inch and a half thick and doesn't work well for putting in your front pocket then I don't want it.

davidI
01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

Hey David,

I have all 3 of my wallets at work if you do want to check them out before buying. They all serve a bit if a different purpose so seeing them in person might be helpful. If you do want to stop by, call ahead if you are going to be any later than 2:00/3:00pm as I will bug out early if it is slow...

Thanks man...I'm actually in Yemen right now. I was planning to be in Calgary for a few weeks in February which is why I was offering to organize this, but it doesn't look like I'll be in town very long anymore. Thanks for the offer anyways!

davidI
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Actually, nothing in those videos gives me any indication on how they are once you put stuff in them and that's what I'm looking for. I want to know more than what they look like, if you put a few things in and then it's an inch and a half thick and doesn't work well for putting in your front pocket then I don't want it.

There are some Youtube videos where people review them and put stuff in them. Biggest complaint is that they're thick and stiff at the start...

JRSC00LUDE
01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
There are some Youtube videos where people review them and put stuff in them. Biggest complaint is that they're thick and stiff at the start...

Thanks. I didn't think to look at any user videos, only the site ones. I will check them out. :thumbsup:

tirebob
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Bob! Tell us more about the difference from small to medium with the bifolds could you? How "slim" are they with a four or five cards (credit, debit, id, etc.) in them? The small one does not have actual individual card holder as much as just two pouches and a money slot. I actually prefer this as I tend to break card when they are staggered in dedicated slots. It is noticeably smaller as well so I can carry it in my front pocket without being uncomfortable...

The pics below show the sizes. Only the small bifold is carrying anything... 6 cards on one side and a couple cards, DL, biz cards and insurance papers for multiple vehicles on the other and a few bills in the money slot. It still has tons of room for more if needed.

The small ID wallet carries 4-6 cards NP and a DL and you can put folded bills sandwiched between. The Medium bifold is a nice wallet and I carried it for over a year before switching to the ID wallet which I carried for 6 month solid. I ended up getting the small bifold just before Christmas and I like it a lot for day to day...

As for how stiff they are, it isn't that bad at all. Yeah it is stiff but it isn't like your walking around with a square of plywood in your back pocket, and they take shape quite quickly and are durable as hell!

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/3092/sb2w.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/8936/sb3tv.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9624/sb1po.jpg

ExtraSlow
01-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for stepping up to the plate man! :thumbsup: I feel like you somehow jedi-mind-tricked me into this. Damn DavidI, now I'll never find those droids!

I have the slim billfold right here, lemme see.
With four cards on each side, and a single $20 bill (:bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp: ), the bad boy is 20mm thick on the "hinge" side, and 16mm thick on the other end. I've used this wallet for about a month total, and it's still stiff as hell. In fact, fitting four cards in each side is a bit of a stretch (ha ha). I should really ditch a couple.

JRSC00LUDE
01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Awesome Bob, thanks! The only way it could be better is if you filled those card slots on the medium, put a few papers in the slot and then closed it beside a tape measure...... :D

davidI
01-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Bob, what colour is the medium bifold? Black or Coffee Brown?

tirebob
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Bob, what colour is the medium bifold? Black or Coffee Brown? Coffee brown sir... It is hard to tell by phone pic!

tirebob
01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Awesome Bob, thanks! The only way it could be better is if you filled those card slots on the medium, put a few papers in the slot and then closed it beside a tape measure...... :D Ask, and Ye shall receive...

I took everything out of my small bifold and just transferred it to the medium, so it is a completely fair comparison...

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/969/sb5k.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/9067/sb4r.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/764/sd6wa.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Sweet! Thanks Bob, perfect!

ExtraSlow
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
OK, the long-delayed group buy is ON. Even better news is that I'm going to be in the USA to pick these up, so we'll all save on shipping costs.

Here's the relevant info and dates:

- Orders due to me by 5:00 PM on February 15th. Send me a PM with the item name, size colour etc and please verify that it is showing as in-stock on the saddleback website.

- I will be picking the orders up in the USA, and I'll be back in town by March 12th.

- Since I'm using my personal exemption for this, I don't want to get out of hand. Let's cap the value of the group buy at $300, plus whatever my order is so I can still afford to bring back a pair of shoes or something if I do end up doing some shopping. If you are looking at buynig any of the bags or luggage, you may want to do it on yoru own, or run a spearate group buy.

- I will split the shipping costs based on the cost to ship that user's order by itself, as a percentage of the sum of the individual shipping costs.
(Example with three people)
User A, Would cost $10 to ship
User B, would cost $20 to ship
User C, Would Cost $40 to ship
Total actual shipping costs are $30
User A pays (10/70) x 30 = 4.28
User B pays (20/70)x 30 = 8.57
User C pays (40/70) x 30 = 17.14

I will request pre-payment by email money transfer, but wait until I've worked out the shipping costs before you send me anything.

I've never run a group buy before, so let me know if there's more info needed. I welcome your comments.

KRyn
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
ExtraSlow, you is has PM.

Thank you.

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
I got my order today! I just initially ordered the classic wallet for cards but when I opened it, they sent me the wrong item and I received the card sleeve instead.

I called them up and they said to enjoy the free card sleeve and they would ship out the correct item right away! :D

tirebob
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
I got my order today! I just initially ordered the classic wallet for cards but when I opened it, they sent me the wrong item and I received the card sleeve instead.

I called them up and they said to enjoy the free card sleeve and they would ship out the correct item right away! :D They are awesome for customer service for sure!

When I got my medium bilfold and used it stuffed to the hilt with cards etc I ended up cracking a couple cards. No big deal as it isn't the first time I have wrecked cards in a wallet. Move forward a year I sent them an e-mail wanting to know about the room in the small bilfold because I had the medium and loved it but it was taking up more real estate in my pocket than I preferred. I also mentioned that because I have a tendency to stack cards I broke a couple in the medium and was wondering if the small might be easier on the cards since they stack rather than stagger.

The next day I got an e-mail saying that the small was on it's way to me for free because they believe in 100% customer satisfaction and if cards were broken, then that was not acceptable. They also said that I could just keep the medium as well and not have to return it...

I was kind of blown away since I was asking about making another purchase and not looking for a handout, yet they just took it upon themselves to make certain I was extra happy!

Good, solid company...

CompletelyNumb
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Good to know. I have to store my cards upside down as so far every single one of them has broken :s

ExtraSlow
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Anyone intrested in joining the group buy? Details back ont he first page. So far I've had a couple guys with questions, but nobody actually in yet.

I guess the shipping is really easy to split one way . . . . .

ExtraSlow
02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
OK, the long-delayed group buy is ON. Even better news is that I'm going to be in the USA to pick these up, so we'll all save on shipping costs.

Here's the relevant info and dates:

- Orders due to me by 5:00 PM on February 15th. Send me a PM with the item name, size colour etc and please verify that it is showing as in-stock on the saddleback website.

- I will be picking the orders up in the USA, and I'll be back in town by March 12th.

- Since I'm using my personal exemption for this, I don't want to get out of hand. Let's cap the value of the group buy at $300, plus whatever my order is so I can still afford to bring back a pair of shoes or something if I do end up doing some shopping. If you are looking at buynig any of the bags or luggage, you may want to do it on yoru own, or run a spearate group buy.

- I will split the shipping costs based on the cost to ship that user's order by itself, as a percentage of the sum of the individual shipping costs.
(Example with three people)
User A, Would cost $10 to ship
User B, would cost $20 to ship
User C, Would Cost $40 to ship
Total actual shipping costs are $30
User A pays (10/70) x 30 = 4.28
User B pays (20/70)x 30 = 8.57
User C pays (40/70) x 30 = 17.14

I will request pre-payment by email money transfer, but wait until I've worked out the shipping costs before you send me anything.

I've never run a group buy before, so let me know if there's more info needed. I welcome your comments.
Have had zero orders, and only a little tentative interest. If anyone is serious, please get in touch with me this week. I don't mind doing this on my own, but I thought there would be more interest.

JRSC00LUDE
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
No kidding, I have my two products now and they're both awesome! Too bad people were just talk.

(not in Calgary or would have went in with you on it haha)

Tomaz
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
I just bailed after I saw the OP wasn't doing it anymore. Didn't see that Extraslow took over. :(

On a positive note, small bifold I bought kicks ass!!! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
03-13-2013, 03:53 PM
The mini-group buy that I ran is now complete. I ended up getting everything shipped to my hotel in Las Vegas, which meant that shipping was dirty cheap. For anyone trying something like that, USPS from Texas to Vegas was three days. The Vegas hotels are all set up to accept incomming packages, prettly slick.

A note about customer service. I had ordered two belts in two colours, and saddleback sent me two belts of the same colour. I emailed them, and they got back to me right away. With no hassle, they told me to keep the two belts, they'll send me another, and will not charge me for shipping. I'm pretty impressed since I only paid for domestic shipping, and they are covering the cost of shipping internationally.

Quality company, a true pleasure to deal with.

KRyn
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks for making this happen lover boy. :love:

ExtraSlow
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
:poosie: :poosie:

davidI
03-13-2013, 10:53 PM
The mini-group buy that I ran is now complete. I ended up getting everything shipped to my hotel in Las Vegas, which meant that shipping was dirty cheap. For anyone trying something like that, USPS from Texas to Vegas was three days. The Vegas hotels are all set up to accept incomming packages, prettly slick.

A note about customer service. I had ordered two belts in two colours, and saddleback sent me two belts of the same colour. I emailed them, and they got back to me right away. With no hassle, they told me to keep the two belts, they'll send me another, and will not charge me for shipping. I'm pretty impressed since I only paid for domestic shipping, and they are covering the cost of shipping internationally.

Quality company, a true pleasure to deal with.

Thanks for picking this group buy up! Happy to hear you got 3 belts out of the deal too!!

I got a small bi-fold in coffee brown and a business card wallet in Chestnut. Loving the quality...still haven't decided if I'll carry the bi-fold day-to-day or the card wallet + money clip.