PDA

View Full Version : IT/IM Career's

02-EM2-Driver
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm looking into changing my career path towards the IT/IM industry. But am not sure what would be best direction to take and which certifications to work towards.

I'm currently working full time and wanting to take courses via distance education/online at my own pace.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers it'd be greatly appreciated, also if you've ever taken courses online and if so with who and how was your experience.

Thanks

firebane
01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
A+ will be the biggest one to get your foot into any door. Start with that.

02-EM2-Driver
01-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look into it for sure.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions that I should look into or any experience with an online learning institute related to IT/IM.

eblend
01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Get yourself a CBTNuggets account and start studying whatever sounds interesting in there. Server or desktop is your interest? You can see their entire catalogue online and view some sample videos to see if you will like it.

I used cbt nuggets for my CCNA, MCTS, and working towards my MCSE: Server 2012 right now with them, pretty simple and beats reading a book.

nzwasp
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Im in networking and to get my initial entry level certs in Cisco I did the following:

Read current book in my case it was lamles sybex ccna.
Watch CBT nuggets on ccna
Practice using dynamips now gns3
Sit practice exams until confident for exam.

I think you will find the hardest thing is getting experience for your chosen career.

eblend
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Im in networking and to get my initial entry level certs in Cisco I did the following:

Read current book in my case it was lamles sybex ccna.
Watch CBT nuggets on ccna
Practice using dynamips now gns3
Sit practice exams until confident for exam.

I think you will find the hardest thing is getting experience for your chosen career.

If you do decide to do CCNA, I fould the Cisco Packet Tracer more than sufficient to do everything you would need to CCNA. It is not as advanced as GNS3, but is a ton easier to use.

02-EM2-Driver
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Thank's for all the suggestions so far, I'll have a look into those areas you all mentioned.

nzwasp
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Also.

INE (sort of like cbt nuggets) has a free ccna video course if you register an account with them - unlike CBT nuggets where it will cost you your arm and leg.

http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-routing-switching-exam-course/

Apparently its not as free as I thought but its only 99$

eblend
01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Also.

INE (sort of like cbt nuggets) has a free ccna video course if you register an account with them - unlike CBT nuggets where it will cost you your arm and leg.

http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-routing-switching-exam-course/

Apparently its not as free as I thought but its only 99$

Depending on how you look at it, CBT nuggets is $1180 per year, so about $100 per month, so if you are serious studying, it isn't that bad since you gives you access to all the series for that price.

Don't forget too, that if you want to certify, another $100-$150 to take the exams. If you are doing CCNA, you can do it in 2 parts or all at once....I did mine in 2 parts mainly cuz my company paid for me to take a course for first portion only (ICND1), and I used cbtnuggets for part2. CBTNuggets explained subnet masks a ton better than the course. CCNA is a tough exam for anyone just getting into IT, so I would no recommend this be your first thing you do.

codetrap
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Does CBTNuggest have Juniper/MRV and other vendors IOS on them?

eblend
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Does CBTNuggest have Juniper/MRV and other vendors IOS on them? `

You can see all their catalogue online

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/it-nuggets-library

I assume you mean training on different IOSs, and not the actual IOSs to be used with GNS3 for example.

codetrap
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM

macman64
02-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by firebane
A+ will be the biggest one to get your foot into any door. Start with that.

Don't touch A+. Sure it may get you a job at futureshop but any enterprise IT isn't going to be interested.

I would start with getting your MCSA in server 2012 then move into the industry followed by CCNA.