PDA

View Full Version : What size stroller does AC allow as Carry-on?

B20EF
01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
On the Air Canada website they say max length is 36" but even the $15 umbrella strollers at Walmart and Babies'R"us are 40". The sales girl at Babies'R'Us assured me they will let you bring bigger strollers right up to the gate, she tried to sell me on a pretty large one for $100 and one $250.

The price isn't a huge issue but I dont want to have to check it. The more expensive ones probably are more comfy and provide better shade from the sun but I'd be fine with a cheap umbrella too.

Anyone had issues bringing a stroller too big up to the gate?

Maxx Mazda
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
No strollers will be allowed in the cabin. You will have to check it at the gate and leave it/pick it up at the aircraft door.

Cos
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

jdmakkord
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I've seen pretty large non-umbrella strollers gate checked plenty of times. Just buy the stroller you want instead of trying to fit their dimensions. Gate checking means the stroller is going in the belly of the plane, they retrieve it before you get off upon arrival.

frozenrice
01-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Where are you going? Might be easier and cheaper to just buy an umbrella stroller there and ditch it when you're done with it. That's what we did on one trip.

B20EF
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
No strollers will be allowed in the cabin. You will have to check it at the gate and leave it/pick it up at the aircraft door.

Yah I wasn't clear. I do know it goes down below at the gate, it would just be nice to use it in the airport and most of all not have to check it as an actual peice of luggage.

Going to Mexico, so I'm sure I could find one down there but that requires going off the resort right away etc.

The AC website gives really small dimensions for whats allowed to be brought to the gate and not have to be checked but, I was sure people bring decent size strollers right up to the gate.

TrU-PaK
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by B20EF

Yah I wasn't clear. I do know it goes down below at the gate, it would just be nice to use it in the airport and most of all not have to check it as an actual peice of luggage.

Going to Mexico, so I'm sure I could find one down there but that requires going off the resort right away etc.

The AC website gives really small dimensions for whats allowed to be brought to the gate and not have to be checked but, I was sure people bring decent size strollers right up to the gate.

Have you checked if the resort has strollers? We just came back from Mexico and they had strollers available at our resort. Maybe worth a shot!

Masked Bandit
01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
You can "check" pretty much any stroller at the gate. We've never been charged anything and the gate agent leaves it at the end of the ramp and the staff put it down in cargo. It's ready to go for you on the ramp at the other end before you even get off the plane.

codetrap
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
I've taken my chariot on the plane before. It's not an issue.

B20EF
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TrU-PaK

Have you checked if the resort has strollers? We just came back from Mexico and they had strollers available at our resort. Maybe worth a shot!

I'll look into that thanks

Originally posted by codetrap

Really? So then I guess they're pretty loose on the policy, good to know.

Khyron
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

A chariot to the gate and they were ok with it? We thought it was smaller/umbrella only (which actually is handier if you need to take taxis). Good to know!

Stroller, car seats do not count as checked baggage (1 per kit). Each kid paying a fare also gets their own bags on top of the above. But even under 2 (free) we got to bring him a huge car seat and big stroller but they were both checked.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
You can take some pretty massive stroller and gate-check them. I've seen double strollers go this route.

codetrap
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
I folded it up for them to the smallest dimensions, and checked it at the gate. We also had our Britax Car seat. It's rated for air travel, and I didn't want to travel without it. It's more comfy for the minion, and keeps her strapped into her seat. Plus she can see out the window with it.

KrisYYC
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
You can take pretty much any stroller as the size dimensions are rarely enforced because it's going to be checked at the gate anyway.

I will recommend against one that is massive, or one of those transformer type stroller that can seperate into 3 pieces. I'd also recommend against strollers with huge bike tires. Those are by far the most dropped/damaged strollers due to their size, weight and awkward dimensions.

The simpler/lighter the stroller the easier it is for the rampers to load in the belly (which is already packed with bags, there isn't much room down there) the less chance of damage or parts to go missing.

Stunt66
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

I will recommend against one that is massive, or one of those transformer type stroller that can seperate into 3 pieces. I'd also recommend against strollers with huge bike tires. Those are by far the most dropped/damaged strollers due to their size, weight and awkward dimensions.

The simpler/lighter the stroller the easier it is for the rampers to load in the belly (which is already packed with bags, there isn't much room down there) the less chance of damage or parts to go missing.

Agreed! We have a City select double that is literally over 5 pieces and its a PIA to travel with. We still take it on every trip because We can't go the umbrella route unless we each push one and there would be very little storage.

I've only been charged once for this beast and that was coming home on AC from Hawaii. It all depends on the person you get at check in. Most just let you go all the way to the gate and you leave it right before boarding the plane. The rules are pretty much an umbrella stroller though.

reese
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
We have taken a bugaboo and a phil and ted stroller on separate occasions with both airlines with no issues. Just make sure your stroller pieces are tagged when youre checking in your luggage and take it up to the gate of the plane - it will be there when you land at your destination.

I had a family friend that had their chariot stroller damaged and westjet had issued a cheque for the amount of the stroller - if that sort of thing worries you.

Stunt66
01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
My wife just came back on a united flight and they broke our fold handle and after talking with them all they could offer her was an apology and them stating theyre not responsible for damages.

Masked Bandit
01-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
My wife just came back on a united flight and they broke our fold handle and after talking with them all they could offer her was an apology and them stating theyre not responsible for damages.

Sounds typical for a US airline.

benyl
01-23-2013, 02:34 PM
We've taken our Uppababy Vista on AC and WJ. No problem.

I've seen double Valco's in the terminal. I don't know how they get that through the X-ray machine. I have to take the wheels off the Vista.

Many resorts / Cruise ships have strollers to lend.

B20EF
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
After hearing about all the massive strollers you guys have taken I guess I'll just take my Peg Perego, it's way smaller than most listed above. I guess I was over thinking it.

nzwasp
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Its funny you hear so many people talking about how a kid under 2 costs nothing to fly, its all bs. It might be true in Canada but internationally it costs cash - we are lying to NZ with our 3 month old in 8 weeks and its costing us $600

Thaco
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Its funny you hear so many people talking about how a kid under 2 costs nothing to fly, its all bs. It might be true in Canada but internationally it costs cash - we are lying to NZ with our 3 month old in 8 weeks and its costing us $600 i guess it depends on the airline and the destination, we went to LA a couple times when our daughter was under 2 years old and it was free as long as the kid does not occupy a seat (sits on knee)

I could see how they would not give the free option for a long flight because the kid would likely not be patient enough to sit on a knee for that long and it'd bug other passengers.

ZeroGravity
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Its funny you hear so many people talking about how a kid under 2 costs nothing to fly, its all bs. It might be true in Canada but internationally it costs cash - we are lying to NZ with our 3 month old in 8 weeks and its costing us $600

Maybe it depends on where you fly. We took our son (still under 2 years old) to Hong Kong, if I remember correctly, we paid $1xx-ish dollars for the 2-way trip. This was counted as "non-paying" since the kid will not get his/her own allocated seat. The fees apparently are the various taxes they charge. But DO ask at the gate counter (when they're not busy and ask nicely) if the flight is very full and if it is possible to reassign seats to get seat for kid :)

Like numerous others have said already, you can gate check one piece of equipment (stroller or car seat) per kid. And the kid, "paying or not" has the same baggage allowance as the adult with the exception that if the checked baggage is a car seat, it doesn't count towards the allowance. This is with AC. This probably varies with airline companies.

benyl
01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
You should only be paying taxes if the kid doesn't take a seat.

Westjet doesn't charge them, but AC does.

To NZ, I would be asking for a bulk head seat with a bassinette for a 3 month old.

nzwasp
01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
The flight with ac and air nz was 10% of adult base fare + 50% of taxes.

Hongkong is cheaper because prob not those airlines and hk airport doesnt charge taxes to ppl under 12