PDA

View Full Version : Furnace, blown motor, where to get?

eblend
01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone know where one could pick up a furnace motor on a sunday, or know a good furnace guy to call? Parents furnace motor pretty much caught fire this morning.

Dilmah
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I got one a few years ago from Home Depot. I guess it depends on the make and model along with the age of the furnace.

RickDaTuner
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Rona, lowes, homedepot carry a few of the newer common sizes, but if its an older furnace your best bet would be to call a home mechanicle company and buy one from them. Most if not all are willing to do emergency Sunday calls/sales for a little extra

Dilmah
01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Rona, lowes, homedepot carry a few of the newer common sizes, but if its an older furnace your best bet would be to call a home mechanicle company and buy one from them. Most if not all are willing to do emergency Sunday calls/sales for a little extra

The motor I replaced a few years ago was from 1965ish and Home Depot had a replacement. Try Home Depot, Rona, Lowes first before calling someone.

The replacement took an hour or so. Google is your friend!

ddduke
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I bought one from canadian tire last time I needed to do a replacement. Calling some one in on a sunday is going to get expensive fast.

Nufy
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Princess auto is where i bought my last blower motor.
I'm assuming its an older style furnace btw...

eblend
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply, but I did see most of these posts which encouraged me to drive out and try to find one. Rona didn't have any (McLoud location at least), but they did tell us to try Canadian Tire across the street, and sure enough, they had the exact motor we needed for $150! Bought it, brought it home, installed and heat is back in the house!

Thanks so much for the info. I looked at Home Depot website, and at Rona, and they didn't list anything for motors at all, so I gave up hope in finding one on a sunday, but thanks to beyond and the tips that those places indeed to sell motors, I was able to get the heat back at my parent's house within hours of the thing dyeing.

It's interesting, this morning at 5AM my parents woke up due to a burning smell (they live in a condominium) so they looked around everywhere and couldn't find the cause, went to both neighbors and nothing there, so they called the non-emergency line and an EMS, 2 fire trucks and a cop car showed up, and after about 1.5 hours the fire department identified where the smell was coming from, which was the motor, which was trying to spin, but wouldn't turn over.

Big props to the emergency response for coming out and helping my parents out as I was no able to (left my phone downstairs...woke up to 9 missed calls). My parents were afraid that it was something in the walls as the condo uses aluminum wiring, since its about 40 years old. When the firemen came into the house with big axes, my mom thought they were going to destroy all the walls looking for the cause, thanks god that did not happen.

My dad took apart the old motor after everything was up and running, and half the wires inside have melted down, thanks god it didn't actually catch real fire and just melted.

Once again, thanks beyond for the info, saved my ass (well my parent's) ones again!

codetrap
01-21-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.fagnansfurnace.ca

I bought a replacement blower motor from these guys and installed it myself.

KappaSigma
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
How hard was it to take apart and remove the old blower motor and install the new blower motor?

codetrap
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
IIRC, it was 3-4 hex bolts, 2 connectors and a rubber seal. I think it took like 25 minutes.

eblend
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
IIRC, it was 3-4 hex bolts, 2 connectors and a rubber seal. I think it took like 25 minutes.

Yep, this.

The motor won't come with the pulley, so you have to move that over from the old motor as well, and then just 4 bolts and put the belt back on the pulley, and all done.