PDA

View Full Version : Essential gear required for starting out on a drilling rig

phaedrus16
01-21-2013, 08:06 PM
This sounds stupid, but does anyone know what drilling companies supply new hires with (eg. Hard hat, coveralls etc)? I got surprised with a job offer to start right away on a drilling rig, but I don't know exactly what I all need, and what a standard company (Trinidad) would normally supply. Any lists suggestions would be really helpful.

vengie
01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Company supplied:

-hard hat
-coveralls
- safety glasses
- ear plugs
- gloves

Needed:

- good steel toes (Dunlop purofits are awesome)
- warm clothes (wear layers so you can strip down if warm)

ExtraSlow
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Warm clothes should NOT include:
- Fleece jackets
- Anything with a hood.

Bring yourself a pair of bama socks, and a pair of skate shoes to wear around camp (keep these ones clean).

Nice work getting on with Trinidad, they are one of the better ones, and a lot of thier rigs have pretty steady work. Last time I ran a trinidad rig, it was a great crew.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Winter coveralls. Mine were $400/pair but are rated down to -40. Their stupidly warm in anything above -15.

Decent winter (steel toe) boots. I'll have to check what brand mine are ("Baffin technology" I think), but their rated down to -120C. Its been 6 years since I last worn them so I forget off hand what brand they are, but their your best friend on those long cold nights. IIRC I paid $270-290 for them, but their worth every last cent, trust me. Just dont wear them above -10.... or your feet will sweat like you wouldn't believe. Incredible boots, thats why you'll always see them in the oil patch, nothing else compares. The soles are oil resistant and anti-slip which really helps on the rig floor, and yes I know from experience there too. They also have wicked traction in the snow & ice.

With those, and some good gloves & head wear, you'll be ready for the worst mother nature can throw at you.

+ 1 on the Bama socks. I have a few pairs of those, and they work great. They wick away the moisture while keeping your feet surprisingly warm in the rubber boots. Quite good to have for $8/pair or whatever they cost. Those with those Dunlop (avocado green) boots, and you'll be set for surprisingly cold weather.

I'd research more on good gloves & head wear. Most people wear a vast assortment of gloves & head wear, but typically complain about cold hands & ears. Try the MEC (mountain equipment co-op) for really good gloves. Just DO NOT get mitts, trust me.... you'll want gloves where you can use all your fingers individually. I dont fucking care how good a pair of mitts are, they'll be the last things you want on a rig floor.
Just make damn good and sure the gloves you're getting are oil & water resistant/proof. You'll be getting a fair share of both on them in no time at all. If you ever wanted to hate your job, its to have wet frozen hands trying to use them for 12 hours straight, and not fuck up when doing anything because of the fact their frozen.
I did that with non water/oil proof mitts, and yeah..... that really really really sucked. Its not fun to take off your mitts when its -37 to do some intricate work, only to get your bare hand soaked in those temps. It was a BIG lesson learned that day.

beyond_ban
01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a bunch of brand new rig armor gloves and some lightly used dunlop steel toed rubber boots size 11 if you are interested.

I also have a never used hard hat "toque". It is the only thing you are allowed to wear under the hard hat to keep your head warm as it allows the ratchet of the hard hat to rest against your head.

bdbolin
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

If you are interested in having your company become a sponsor, please click here (http://forums.beyond.ca/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=2&subject=Advertising%20Info%20Request) to contact kenny, our Advertising Co-Ordinator.

For advertising pricing and packages, Click Here (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=2)

brucebanner
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Seems likely everyone above has you covered with workware. The only thing I would recommend different is for boots. Instead of those Dunlops, Baffin makes a boot nearly identical. The only difference I found was the sole and it's for the better, much more grip IMO. I've used both and personally prefer the Baffins over the Dunlops.

Black Gts
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
If you're going straight out to the rig, they may not have anything for you yet. Take your own hard hat and borrow some coveralls if yoh cant afford to but a pair. Try and stop by tge office first