So this is me in March:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/March2013_zps0120354e.jpg

Vs.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonFront.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonSide.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/DonBack.jpg

Notable gains:

- Using 50's now; can dumbell press 100lbs total
- Slowly increasing deadlift/squat numbers but stuck around 190lbs area +/-10lbs

=========================

A new year, a new thread.

So for the unfamiliar, I had a thread before about a 5-month challenge (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/357035/5-month-challenge-and-beyond/), which became a success for me.

I learned a lot, became disciplined, accountable, and met great people through this. Judging from this section also, I pushed a bunch of people to join me haha! Whether that is good or bad for this 'Health and Fitness' section is up in the air but I digress.

With 2013 right at this moment, I am the happiest I've ever been in terms of health and weight. I am at a good 150-153lbs range and I look/feel stronger. I look great in my travel photos and I have been getting comments about it, which is awesome for me!

Plus note; did not gain a lot of weight after traveling! :clap:

I am more active than ever before but now it's time to step things up.

This year, 2013, I want, not only to be 'balanced' in terms of muscle definition... But I want abs.

The six-pack. The washboard. I want it.

You know that if I put my mind through it and with Beyond's guidance, anything can happen.

I proved to you that I am a man of my word. I will try my best to make a goal happen.

Hopefully, this thread will become a continuation of before with a lot of contribution but now it's focused on specific tweaks for conditioning. Through Beyond's guidance and blessing, I know this dream can become a reality.

I think by the end of this year, I can succeed in making that happen.

Doable? Thoughts?

Before, I was focus on losing weight. Now it's time for building.

Are they different or should I continue my routine as usual? What should I be eating?

Some Cole's Notes of myself:

- 5'6
- 150-153lbs (will create a proper benchmark with fat % and measurements this week)
- Active lifestyle with 1 hour of activity/day in a work week, whether that be lifts, cardio, or sports
- Weekends are rest days or light activity (long distance walking, for example)
- I eat right with little carbs (no rice, no bread but I don't ignore cravings) and if carbs will be consumed, it's early in the day and not at night
- Protein and vegetable bias (meat, fish, salads with no dressing) with 6 small meals/day
- I do take multi-vitamins (Active-X)

- Routine is usually:
* M W F - Cardio start (10 mins)/targeted weight training
* T Th - Full Cardio (Tuesday floor hockey/Thursday class or running)
* Sat - Cheat day
* Sun - Rest/light activity day

Let's get the ball rollin' and thanks Beyond for helping me get in the right path!

FYI, I started today because last week I was sick when I got back from Australia/Asia so couldn't do much activity.

=======

First day back today was exhausting but rewarding. Just wanted to see how bad it was coming back to routine after month+ of beach bumming. It was bad.

6 mins. run before got a side cramp
12x2 push-ups
4x2 wide pull-ups
5x2 bicep pull-ups
95lbsx10 squats

black13
01-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Nice I was gonna make a thread and ask about this but since you did even better.

From the little knowledge that I've gathered, getting abs is HARD. You basically gotta reduce your body fat close to like 10%. Pretty much starve yourself while only eat casein protein and balancing that with a workout routine. You gotta constantly build and maintain a decent amount of muscle while losing and keeping body fat low.

I can feel my abs under my stomach already but now I just need to lose that inch of fat on top.

scboss
01-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by black13
Nice I was gonna make a thread and ask about this but since you did even better.

From the little knowledge that I've gathered, getting abs is HARD. You basically gotta reduce your body fat close to like 10%. Pretty much starve yourself while only eat casein protein and balancing that with a workout routine. You gotta constantly build and maintain a decent amount of muscle while losing and keeping body fat low.

I can feel my abs under my stomach already but now I just need to lose that inch of fat on top.

If you prepare every meal yourself you will never go hungry. When cutting I typically will eat as much veggies and meat as I can and stay away from almost all beverages but water.

Really the hardest thing about getting abs is consistency with meal prep and always doing it ahead of time.

Abs will usually start at 12% and under.
Flip you got this!

davidI
01-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Nice work on achieving your 2012 goals and happy to see you've set new goals for 2013.

It seems you're already aware that the biggest battle in getting abs is cutting down body fat so I'll just recommend an ab work out: Insanity Abs. It's only a 12 minute workout but it definitely hits the core in a variety of ways. Cutting down the fat layer may be the main goal, but you'll want some muscle under it alll to expose too. :thumbsup:

austic
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I am having the same problem. i've lost 60lbs over the last couple years and just cant get the final remaining belly off. I am aiming to take my diet a little more serious and hopefully have some better results by march.

brucebanner
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm sure I'll follow this thread like I did your other thread. I enjoy reading everyone's threads and seeing everyone make progress is awesome!

Keep up the good work Flip! This fitness thing becomes addictive doesn't it?

flipstah
01-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

If you prepare every meal yourself you will never go hungry. When cutting I typically will eat as much veggies and meat as I can and stay away from almost all beverages but water.

Really the hardest thing about getting abs is consistency with meal prep and always doing it ahead of time.

Abs will usually start at 12% and under.
Flip you got this!

Thanks, chief! Gotta keep the momentum going, really.

Originally posted by black13

Originally posted by austic
I am having the same problem. i've lost 60lbs over the last couple years and just cant get the final remaining belly off. I am aiming to take my diet a little more serious and hopefully have some better results by march.

Well maybe through this thread, we can figure out tips together and see how to make this happen. :)

Originally posted by davidI
Nice work on achieving your 2012 goals and happy to see you've set new goals for 2013.

It seems you're already aware that the biggest battle in getting abs is cutting down body fat so I'll just recommend an ab work out: Insanity Abs. It's only a 12 minute workout but it definitely hits the core in a variety of ways. Cutting down the fat layer may be the main goal, but you'll want some muscle under it alll to expose too. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by bruceod
I'm sure I'll follow this thread like I did your other thread. I enjoy reading everyone's threads and seeing everyone make progress is awesome!

Keep up the good work Flip! This fitness thing becomes addictive doesn't it?

Thanks! I've been lurking around your threads too and I'm hoping to get numbers like you two; 100 reps, 300llbs lifts... DAMN. :eek:

I'll check out Insanity Abs and once you've felt this great, you gotta keep it up and see how good your body can get! :thumbsup:

KRyn
01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Gah, I am starting my diet on the 4th of February. Unlike you I am not trying to get abs. Just lose 10-15lbs of fat and hopefully by cleaning up my diet gain some serious strength and maybe put on 5lbs of lean muscle! I have some pretty ambitious strength goals for 2013!
Good luck and you better get your diet dialed in ASAP if you want a shredded six pack!

AzNxHyDrA
01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
I haven't worked out in a long time but getting abs is all about the diet.
I'm eating more or less what I want now but I can still sustain my abs so once you get there you're set.

2 Months
-15lbs
+abs
:D

I posted my diet on your last thread but for 2 months I only ate chicken, salmon, spinach & a little bit of rice everyday.

Ran a 800-1000 calorie deficit.

Only exercise was P90X.

I also cheated by using fat burner but I was kind of rushing it.

So obviously you can take it slower and do another 5 month challenge, probably a lot healthier than what I did.

flipstah
01-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Gah, I am starting my diet on the 4th of February. Unlike you I am not trying to get abs. Just lose 10-15lbs of fat and hopefully by cleaning up my diet gain some serious strength and maybe put on 5lbs of lean muscle! I have some pretty ambitious strength goals for 2013!
Good luck and you better get your diet dialed in ASAP if you want a shredded six pack!

Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA
I'm eating more or less what I want now but I can still sustain my abs so once you get there you're set.

2 Months
-15lbs
+abs

I posted my diet on your last thread but for 2 months I only ate chicken, salmon, spinach & a little bit of rice everyday.

Only exercise was P90X.

So obviously you can take it slower and do another 5 month challenge, probably a lot healthier than what I did.

Well, I think* I got the diet part good so far; just need tweaking.

- I have eggs, peanut butter/banana smoothie morning
- Then half-equivalent of my lunch for a snack
- Then lunch (always a garden salad, beef/pork/chicken/fish)
- Another snack (fruit)
- Pre-workout "dinner" (usually protein)
- Post-workout "dinner" (salad/protein)

This system got me to 150lbs in the Challenge... So not sure what to tweak now. :confused:

AzNxHyDrA, your diet was envious so I followed it. :D

DeleriousZ
01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I proved to you that I am a man of my word.

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/W/WH/WHY/WHYSOSERIOUS1991/1216411685_1900_full.jpeg

I have nothing of any value to contribute lol.

BananaFob
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

2 Months
-15lbs
+abs

Only exercise was P90X.

I've been doing something similar for the past 3 weeks. Starting to see some really, really awesome results. Seafood + vegetables only. Just regular cardio pretty every day + occasional weights twice a week to attempt to maintain muscle mass. Around 800-1200 calorie deficit a day. Gotta count those calories to win.

ArjayAquino
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Does anyone go to Cardel Place for working out? I wouldn't mind having a workout partner for some workouts. I mostly do weight training but I haven't been going as consistently as I would like to in the last year so having a partner should help.

And for abs, just do a lot of high intensity exercise. Instead of jogging for 5 to 10 KM, do sprinting exercises like suicides (if you played bball you'll be very familiar with it), skipping, jumping. Crossfit would be a good option as well.

MPL487ToJt8

ArjayAquino
01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Forgot to add this. A good alternative to p90x is insanity workout. I tried it for a few weeks, holy shit it's intense. It's more geared towards conditioning than p90x. I couldn't do the 10 minute warm up without feeling like I was going to die the first week and it's a 45 minute workout lol. You don't need weights to do it either.

Little Dragon
01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
^ When do you usually go to Cardel? I am there either early mornings or late at night after school Monday to Friday.

Will be following closely Flip, best of luck! =)
This just reminded me that I should update my own thread, completely forgot about posting pics lol.

flipstah
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
So far, I've read to just tweak my meals a bit, do Insanity, and way more cardio.

FML. That's what I was afraid of. :banghead:

Suicides are love/hate for me. A lot of yelling at lines or pylons.

ArjayAquino
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
^ When do you usually go to Cardel? I am there either early mornings or late at night after school Monday to Friday.

Will be following closely Flip, best of luck! =)
This just reminded me that I should update my own thread, completely forgot about posting pics lol.

I usually go Sunday for my chest and back workout since there's less people at the gym and then do a couple workouts after work during the week so around 6:30. When I start doing legs again I'm going to try to do it on saturday.

AzNxHyDrA
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
So far, I've read to just tweak my meals a bit, do Insanity, and way more cardio.

FML. That's what I was afraid of. :banghead:

Suicides are love/hate for me. A lot of yelling at lines or pylons.

Go hard or go home :poosie:

Imo, if you don't want to do that much cardio, just eat less.
I'm a lazy guy. I didn't do cardio outside of P90X and I was too out of shape for insanity.
As long as you're staying on a calorie deficit whether from eating less or working out more, it'll be fine.
Once you stop seeing improvements, you just have to increase that deficit.
Start adding in refeed days once you get to a lower body fat %

littledan
01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
no offense, but why the fuck would you want them abs for!? girls like meat on their men :poosie: :poosie: just come over to the darkside and do that permabulk dirty bulk style! brb getting a cheeseburger

flipstah
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by littledan
no offense, but why the fuck would you want them abs for!? girls like meat on their men :poosie: :poosie: just come over to the darkside and do that permabulk dirty bulk style! brb getting a cheeseburger

I'm not that tall lol. Bulk + my height looks weird. :nut:

... Unless done right. Tell me more. :devil:

sputnik
01-22-2013, 12:06 PM
no offense, but why the fuck would you want them abs for!? girls like meat on their men

+1

Chicks don't really want guys that are leaner than they are.

borN
01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
So you want to lose fat and gain abs...but what's your weight goal? Are you going to continue bulking to a set weight while focusing on lowering your fat %?

IMO, if you're 150 now and you want to lose weight to gain abs...would be too fragile.

flipstah
01-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by borN
So you want to lose fat and gain abs...but what's your weight goal? Are you going to continue bulking to a set weight while focusing on lowering your fat %?

IMO, if you're 150 now and you want to lose weight to gain abs...would be too fragile.

Well, it'll be a balance of bulking and abs. I want to look leaner and meaner.

I don't want to be a stick! That is NOT my goal.

zipdoa
01-22-2013, 12:13 PM

The six-pack. The washboard. I want it.

lol

Originally posted by DeleriousZ

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/W/WH/WHY/WHYSOSERIOUS1991/1216411685_1900_full.jpeg

I have nothing of any value to contribute lol.

lol

lol

Originally posted by sputnik

+1

Chicks don't really want guys that are leaner than they are.

lol

Originally posted by borN

this

if you wanna attain full ottermode, go on a lean bulk for the rest of the winter and then do ketosis for a couple months. HIIT if you can't keep your diet in check and need more fat burning.

u got it brah

oh and:

http://thehairpin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/1-trick-of-a-tiny-belly.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/a27lbKKqb7c/0.jpg

scboss
01-22-2013, 12:15 PM

I dunno man I think almost every girl under the age of 30 wants a guy with abs. Well if they are hot anyways lol.
If they lined up guys that were fat and ripped and asked a girl to choose one I guarantee they choose the ripped guy.

For me personally functional abs> show abs all day

ajooo
01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
do fat burners/stacks even work?

flipstah
01-22-2013, 12:35 PM

I dunno man I think almost every girl under the age of 30 wants a guy with abs. Well if they are hot anyways lol.
If they lined up guys that were fat and ripped and asked a girl to choose one I guarantee they choose the ripped guy.

For me personally functional abs> show abs all day

+1.

max_boost
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Why so focused on a 6 pack dude? I think them ladies would prefer 6 figures over a 6 pack? Maybe? No? haha

But seriously, <10% body fat to see abs? What are you at right now? It's so much fucking work. Literally takes months of eating healthy. I can feel my abs, you just can't see them. When my gf said I should get a 6 pack, I flexed and told her to touch them, she was shocked. :eek: And then asked, how come I can't see it? I told her, they are hidden. :D
:rofl:

max_boost
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
BTW, where do you measure up against the strength standards?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

I'm intermediate on the 4 but the difference between intermediate and advanced is retarded so I'll just do more cardio now cause the weights are too heavy. :(

littledan
01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
i'm a little bit taller than you flipstah and around 162 lbs at the moment. YOu can only see my abs when i'm flexing them. gonna keep bulking till i look like an NFL running back so when i say "fuck out da waaayyyy" people actually move a bit.

sputnik
01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Based on the pictures from your previous thread, you look like you really just need to start lifting some serious weight.

For being 150lbs you still look pretty soft and you could really stand to work on your shoulders, back, chest and arms. Lifting heavy on a regular basis will burn fat and get your abs to start showing as well as make you look a little less weak.

Dieting and doing cardio to get abs will probably drop you down to 130-140 lbs with not much lean muscle mass. Unless you are going for the Lance Armstrong look.

scboss
01-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I'm intermediate on the 4 but the difference between intermediate and advanced is retarded so I'll just do more cardio now cause the weights are too heavy. :(

Im intermediate for everything very close to advance on a few.

l/l/rX
01-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Why so focused on a 6 pack dude? I think them ladies would prefer 6 figures over a 6 pack? Maybe? No? haha

LOL

But seriously, &lt;10% body fat to see abs? What are you at right now? It's so much fucking work. Literally takes months of eating healthy.

Haha yaa thank god I don't have to go through this ordeal. This would suck.

My workouts the past few weeks have started to change up and I'm loving it. I've been doing 2 x variations of the 300 workouts, weight train 3 days a week and throw in cardio twice after weight training. I'm all about leaning out/ staying lean. I'm short though 5'3 and 127lbs. I never want to bulk cuz I'd look MAD weird.

Disoblige
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Based on the pictures from your previous thread, you look like you really just need to start lifting some serious weight.

For being 150lbs you still look pretty soft and you could really stand to work on your shoulders, back, chest and arms. Lifting heavy on a regular basis will burn fat and get your abs to start showing as well as make you look a little less weak.

Dieting and doing cardio to get abs will probably drop you down to 130-140 lbs with not much lean muscle mass. Unless you are going for the Lance Armstrong look.
Tough statements to swallow, but very true.

max_boost
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
:werd: to sputnik's post.

I don't see no V shape yet so keep lifting bra. :rofl:

sputnik
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Tough statements to swallow, but very true.

Not really.

Just a different approach suited for his current build. I have a feeling it will work much better than running on a treadmill and eating salads, and probably more rewarding as well.

I wasn't trying to be harsh or anything.

austic
01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

I have a different problem. I am advanced on 2 (power clean and Deadlift) and close on my other 3 but in no way have a six pack... I call it the oppisite of warcasters problem all go and no show...:(

downsides of losing 60lbs and having excess skin....

Disoblige
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM

Not really.

Just a different approach suited for his current build. I have a feeling it will work much better than running on a treadmill and eating salads, and probably more rewarding as well.

Well, IMO, from his 5 month thread, he should have started to hit the weights hard from the beginning (and most of us said that there). He'd be much more ahead than he is now, especially when he was trying to lose weight too. Now he split it into a 2 step process, where he lost weight first, and now he's trying to basically gain lean muscle mass. Sure, he got a bit stronger, but not really.

Yeah, I'm being harsh. Maybe next time in the gym when flip bench, squat, or deadlift, he'll go "fucking disoblige, that punkass bitch.." and get RIPPED :D

I guess for me personally, I like being motivated with negative criticism, haha.

flipstah
01-22-2013, 03:05 PM

As of right now, I have a novice upper and an intermediate lower body. Time to STEP UP and be max_boost!

Not really.

Well, IMO, from his 5 month thread, he should have started to hit the weights hard from the beginning (and most of us said that there). He'd be much more ahead than he is now, especially when he was trying to lose weight too. Now he split it into a 2 step process, where he lost weight first, and now he's trying to basically gain lean muscle mass. Sure, he got a bit stronger, but not really.

Yeah, I'm being harsh. Maybe next time in the gym when flip bench, squat, or deadlift, he'll go &quot;fucking disoblige, that punkass bitch..&quot; and get RIPPED :D

I guess for me personally, I like being motivated with negative criticism, haha.

You live and you learn but here we are. Yeah, criticism is what I want and expect. It's the only way to get better.

So in this case, I need to change things up and start lifting heavy, especially in the upper body. Maybe listen to you guys for once.

I'll keep track of things as usual and tweak it based on comments/discussion.

i'm a little bit taller than you flipstah and around 162 lbs at the moment. YOu can only see my abs when i'm flexing them. gonna keep bulking till i look like an NFL running back so when i say &quot;fuck out da waaayyyy&quot; people actually move a bit.

Hmmkay, well some bulk is definitely key; not giving that up but more definition instead of softness as sputnik said.

bigbadboss101
01-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I'm being harsh. Maybe next time in the gym when flip bench, squat, or deadlift, he'll go &quot;fucking disoblige, that punkass bitch..&quot; and get RIPPED :D

Just dont try that with wife/gf :-)

bigbadboss101
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Come play hockey, twice a week plus gym plus some WHC group exercise (eg. core) and you will be looking good.

max_boost
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Cardio will just make you skinny. You need to have a base of strength and that's why I posted up the exrx.net strength standards. Sad to say most people don't even have their novice gains.

flipstah
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Cardio will just make you skinny. You need to have a base of strength and that's why I posted up the exrx.net strength standards. Sad to say most people don't even have their novice gains.

I think aiming for intermediate majority for those standards would get me closer to my end goal.

max_boost
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM

I think aiming for intermediate majority for those standards would get me closer to my end goal.

Exactly. Now you are on the right track. So like we have all said, lift more, lift heavy, eat some real food, pack on more mussels and get rid of your "softness". Time to man up, bruh.

Realistically everyone should have be able to attain their intermediate strength goals. The hardcore ones can get to advanced and if you are elite, you are basically one of those Olympic dudes. I think.

bigbadboss101
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Basically 2 years of so of consistent intense training you will get to immediate numbers listed on that site. I believe one can get there before 2 years as a guideline. Just need to be dedicated. No skipping workouts/exercise, and very seldom eating junk food. With that said I need to get in gear so next time I see Warcaster, Flipstah, KRyn, Maxboost etc won't be on my case :nut:

ArjayAquino
01-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Basically 2 years of so of consistent intense training you will get to immediate numbers listed on that site. I believe one can get there before 2 years as a guideline. Just need to be dedicated. No skipping workouts/exercise, and very seldom eating junk food. With that said I need to get in gear so next time I see Warcaster, Flipstah, KRyn, Maxboost etc won't be on my case :nut:

Yep, it's all about consistency. When I started working out again a few years back I started at benching 20 lbs each side. At 9 months I was at 65 lbs each side. I'm 5'4 and about 125 lbs so a small dude, I don't easily get bulky like other guys. Once I start doing legs my weight should increase a lot quicker.

KRyn
01-22-2013, 09:23 PM

I have a different problem. I am advanced on 2 (power clean and Deadlift) and close on my other 3 but in no way have a six pack... I call it the oppisite of warcasters problem all go and no show...:(

How much do you weigh? Post a video of your advanced clean please also how long have you been Oly lifting for?

I would also agree with what is being said here. Eat fairly clean but still have a calorie surplus and focus on your squat, deadlift, bench and shoulder press. You likely will still make a lot of newb gains and put on some quality size quickly, cut in May maybe 10lbs.

austic
01-22-2013, 11:38 PM

How much do you weigh? Post a video of your advanced clean please also how long have you been Oly lifting for?

2 years in OLY lifting, got into from crossfit and loved it.
first competition was supposed to be the Hokkaido Cup in the 85KG division but I hurt my knee playing dodgeball of all things. Max Clean 265 clean was at body weight at 188
part of the CFC club no where near anything special at OLY but I enjoy it. Shooting for next comp in march if I can keep from hurting myself again.
And i put on some pounds over December currently 195 so I need to lose some weight to make the 85kg div

But back to the topic at hand I will be following your thread as i would love to get abs. need to cut out all the booze and weekend binge for that to happen

scboss
01-23-2013, 12:22 AM

HAHA im like 50/50 now. Lost a ton of size on my upper body since starting my thread but im stronger then ever. Look more like a mma fighter now lol. Not to much show here anymore haha

flipstah
01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Just finished a week with something I like to call "The Late Lunch":

Light suicide warmup

Then...

x = >2

X burpees ---> sprint across the other side --> x pushups ---> sprint back --> x-1 burpees ---> sprint ---> x-1 pushups

Repeat until X=0; Then one suicide across.

"Late Lunch" because you'll see it return lol.

scboss
01-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Just finished a week with something I like to call &quot;The Late Lunch&quot;:

Light suicide warmup

Then...

x = &gt;2

X burpees ---&gt; sprint across the other side --&gt; x pushups ---&gt; sprint back --&gt; x-1 burpees ---&gt; sprint ---&gt; x-1 pushups

Repeat until X=0; Then one suicide across.

&quot;Late Lunch&quot; because you'll see it return lol.

Nice work bro :thumbsup:

flipstah
01-26-2013, 02:29 AM

Nice work bro :thumbsup:

I picked 5 just to try it out. So close to barfing after.

403ep3
01-26-2013, 12:36 PM
:werd: to sputnik's post.

I don't see no V shape yet so keep lifting bra. :rofl:

V shape = no haha

Hour glass figure!

403ep3
01-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree with everyone here that you should lift heavy and gain some size before you look at getting abs. Ofcourse you should still maintain a proper diet but being skinny and having abs is not as hard as it seems!

Lift, lift, lift!!!

flipstah
01-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Lift is in order come Monday. I also picked up shinny Saturdays to learn how to ice skate and get killer cardio too.

Combined with floor hockey Tuesdays with MWF lifts, it should have potential.

hks
01-28-2013, 12:05 AM
your goal right now is to build a 6pack, so a healthy balanced diet(you need to absolutely eat carbs) plus all the cardio you've been doing is a great way to start toward your goal. I would also add plyometric exercises to your workout, among a whole list of other things, they will make your abs strong as shit.
With all that being said, if you wanna gain mass at the same time as the 6pack thing, it's impossible. So while the weight lifting you plan to do will make you a bit stronger, don't kid yourself, it will 100% not make you noticeably bigger.

good luck buddy, looking forward to seeing the results
:thumbsup:

flipstah
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by hks
your goal right now is to build a 6pack, so a healthy balanced diet(you need to absolutely eat carbs) plus all the cardio you've been doing is a great way to start toward your goal. I would also add plyometric exercises to your workout, among a whole list of other things, they will make your abs strong as shit.
With all that being said, if you wanna gain mass at the same time as the 6pack thing, it's impossible. So while the weight lifting you plan to do will make you a bit stronger, don't kid yourself, it will 100% not make you noticeably bigger.

good luck buddy, looking forward to seeing the results
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips and outlook. Looks like I'll be introducing carbs back into my system.

Ah, quinoa... How I missed you. :love: As long as it's balanced and moderated, it should be good to go.

I'll keep everyone posted monthly with weigh-in's and stuff.

A more detailed analysis if warcaster isn't busy. :)

R!zz0
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM

When women see a guy with abs, they automatically think "he's not gonna go for me" Look how many Women drool over firefighters.

That's why Women end up with guys that have a little meat in them. They're are not scared of their man leaving them for someone else.

I think...

bigbadboss101
01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I know lot of female friends who always wanted a hot guy and ended up with someone not as hot. They realize there is more to a man than visual.
In general women like guys in uniforms, have power, show confidence, have $ etc.

BananaFob
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
I know lot of female friends who always wanted a hot guy and ended up with someone not as hot. They realize there is more to a man than visual.
In general women like guys in uniforms, have power, show confidence, have $ etc.

It's not like having abs, looking good and the rest of the stuff you mentioned is mutually exclusive? :dunno:

flipstah
01-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Not disputing this fact. They usually go hand in hand though.

jaylo
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I am with you on this one flipstah.

I won't create my own thread but I will follow your progress to see if I can match up or show some abs in the near future.

I have been experimenting for the past 8 months or so on a full body work out (upper, lower, and cardio 5 straight days a week) though I found minimal gains, my stamina and endurance is definitely longer and I am able to keep my weight steady month on month.

Starting this week, I will follow a more structured, weight-heavy Mon-Fri workout and have rest/cardio days in between to see if I can see physical gains

If you'd like to see my workout routine for the past 8 months and physical results I can post it up

flipstah
01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
I am with you on this one flipstah.

I won't create my own thread but I will follow your progress to see if I can match up or show some abs in the near future.

I have been experimenting for the past 8 months or so on a full body work out (upper, lower, and cardio 5 straight days a week) though I found minimal gains, my stamina and endurance is definitely longer and I am able to keep my weight steady month on month.

Starting this week, I will follow a more structured, weight-heavy Mon-Fri workout and have rest/cardio days in between to see if I can see physical gains

If you'd like to see my workout routine for the past 8 months and physical results I can post it up

Thanks, jaylo. I could use the extra support and tips. If you don't mind posting yours, then by all means. :thumbsup:

jaylo
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
it makes me weak thinking about doing this every day lol, keep in mind my focus is always been able to do half-marathons.
It was quite an experiment and mental discipline to do it straight 5 days/week.

This is what Monday to Friday looks like on my routine:

6:00 - oatmeal
9:00 - pb & j sandwich
11:00 - veggies, banana, and handful of almond/walnuts

11:45 - 12:45 workout routine

x1
30 minute run outside (summer is 20 min, and 4x curling club stairs)

x4
12 crossfit-style chinup close underhand and wide overhand
25 squats
12 jumps
12 - 25 boat pose for abs

x1
random upper body using dumbells, 12reps 4 sets

12:45 - drink half of protein shake
13:00 - lunch (chicken, steak, or occasional pork), salad
15:30 - pb & j sandwich
16:30 - banana, apple

16:45 - 17:15 quick workout routine

x4
50 fast jump rope
25 squats
12 slow push ups

x1
random upper body and lower body workout using dumbells, 12reps 4 sets

18:00 - protein shake
19:00 - dinner (lately been just eggs and toast)

June 2012 vs January 2013
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/8409/img1150ct.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img694/2446/newimagecl.jpg

My focus for the next couple of months is lifting heavy and cardio during rest

Hope that helps!

austic
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
it makes me weak thinking about doing this every day lol, keep in mind my focus is always been able to do half-marathons.

might be interested in crossfit endurance

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/blog/1

makes half marathons a piece of cake

flipstah
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Holy crap jaylo, that schedule will have to be modified to fit my lifestyle. I have work and I definitely cannot cram that much workout session in a day.

One hour max/day is what I can do but I will def borrow your routine

jaylo
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

might be interested in crossfit endurance

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/blog/1

makes half marathons a piece of cake

Thanks!

l/l/rX
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Thought I'd share a little motivation. Add-ons courtesy of Line Camera App HAHAHA.

5'3, 130lbs.

Monday - Chest + treadmill (winter)/ run outside (summer) + abs
Tuesday - 300 workout
Wednesday - Legs - Squats, Deadlifts, 1 legged extensions, bench dumbell lunges, abs, run (if I have time)
Thursday - different variation of 300 workout
Friday - Back, abs, run

I have about an hour to workout during my lunch. I'm go-go-go, ie) squats, straight to deadlifts, water, squats and so on and so on.

I'm not in the gym to gain mass, but to lean out like a motherf*$%cker. I'm too short to be bulky, going for the Bruce Lee look :)

AzNxHyDrA
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Holy crap jaylo, that schedule will have to be modified to fit my lifestyle. I have work and I definitely cannot cram that much workout session in a day.

You don't have to have a crazy schedule like that to see results. Key thing is to not give up.

I only did 1hr/day, 5-6days a week and I still got where I wanted to be.

You got this =)

jaylo
01-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Yeah it was tough to cram it in during work week at one point but it is possible.

I dont really have to be in the gym to complete the workouts. I remember some days I just work out in the garage using the joists for pushups and layed down some carpet on the floor for the lower body workouts.

For my "off" days or days I can't go to the gym during winter I just got myself a new elliptical http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLzAJGfkswM

KRyn
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM

No, it's what your willing to do! :rofl:

Like Ronnie said... Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but ain't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights.

flipstah
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM

No, it's what your willing to do! :rofl:

Like Ronnie said... Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but ain't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights.

Awww sheeitt, did you just call me out?! :rofl:

Ugh, I have floor hockey tonight and my legs are still sore from skating. :banghead:

KRyn
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM

Awww sheeitt, did you just call me out?! :rofl:

Ugh, I have floor hockey tonight and my legs are still sore from skating. :banghead:

No simply suggesting you utilize what little time you do have! Go and lift some heavy ass weights, you do enough cardiovascular activity in your day to day after work activities.

Okay maybe I called you out a little! ;)

flipstah
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM

No simply suggesting you utilize what little time you do have! Go and lift some heavy ass weights, you do enough cardiovascular activity in your day to day after work activities.

Okay maybe I called you out a little! ;)

Haha yeah yeah, heavy ass weights!

I don't want to be Brock Lesnar but holy fuck, motivation right here:

wcmizNnM1n8

This video was actually the one that pushed me to try battle ropes. It's fuckin' awesome. :whipped:

flipstah
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
FUUU- Tweaked my groin during hockey on the weekend. No squats this week. :thumbsdow

On a sidenote, any recommendations for a stronger ankle? So far, I got calf raises and some yoga poses I learnt a while back.

I need to develop better ankle strength for skates.

jaylo
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
FUUU- Tweaked my groin during hockey on the weekend. No squats this week. :thumbsdow

On a sidenote, any recommendations for a stronger ankle? So far, I got calf raises and some yoga poses I learnt a while back.

I need to develop better ankle strength for skates.

Lots of running outside has cured my nagging ankle that I sprained 10 years ago. Get some good runners, I use Asics Gel Nimbus 13 meant for cushioning.

Mix it up with uphill and downhill and it should help you lubricate and build your ankle strength well.

There's a book called Chi Running and it teaches you how to run properly

flipstah
02-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Lots of running outside has cured my nagging ankle that I sprained 10 years ago. Get some good runners, I use Asics Gel Nimbus 13 meant for cushioning.

Mix it up with uphill and downhill and it should help you lubricate and build your ankle strength well.

There's a book called Chi Running and it teaches you how to run properly

Sweet, thanks for that. I usually do runs before my workout starts but I'll definitely mix it up with uphill/downhill.

I'll focus on upper today so no squats for a while. Maybe deadlifts?

bigbadboss101
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
May be it's not your ankles but your skates? I know most of us wouldn't be able to skate with speed skates with no support. Years ago I had skates with really soft boots and I skated looking sloppy. May sure the skates are the right size, tie the laces up all the way up and tight.

flipstah
02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
May be it's not your ankles but your skates? I know most of us wouldn't be able to skate with speed skates with no support. Years ago I had skates with really soft boots and I skated looking sloppy. May sure the skates are the right size, tie the laces up all the way up and tight.

Well, I tried this pair on among various others and it was the only new pair of skates that felt as comfy as it can get.

My shoe size is 8-8.5 so it's a 6.5 skate.

I got these if anyone is curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AixqrKNzA

RBK 12K

max_boost
02-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Sell me your skates for cheap if you need to buy new haha

flipstah
02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Sell me your skates for cheap if you need to buy new haha

They ARE new! :poosie:

Back in action this week and it was mostly an upper body workout last night; bench press, pullup/burpee combo that warcaster showed me a while back, shoulder press, hang cleans (still can't get the finish!)

I'm aiming to be able to shoulder press 100 lbs over my head!

Just 90 right now. :whipped:

Disoblige
02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
You can shoulder press 50s?

flipstah
02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
You can shoulder press 50s?

No, just 90 lbs total including the bar.

403ep3
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I think he uses the olympic bar plus weights.. You'll get over 100 in no time. I struggled at that weight before and now I'm doing a plate a side ;)

flipstah
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I think he uses the olympic bar plus weights.. You'll get over 100 in no time. I struggled at that weight before and now I'm doing a plate a side ;)

Well there's that or those pre-set bars.

For shoulder press, I don't use dumbbells.

austic
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I would switch it up, use dumbells and bars. keep your muscles guessing

jaylo
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I would switch it up, use dumbells and bars. keep your muscles guessing

This is very true

403ep3
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Question: Have you ever thought about trying a 5x5 type workout? It would help increase your body size (muscle) and you can probably do quite a bit of cardio to help with your abs.

bigbadboss101
02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
For overhead presses my back go very arched. Weak core probably.

austic
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
That or poor shoulder flexibility

flipstah
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Hm.. I have to check if I arch my back when I do it. I keep my chest out so maybe? :dunno:

max_boost
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Squeeze your ass. Maybe wear a belt too lol

403ep3
02-08-2013, 03:42 PM

How arched is it? Draw a stick man on paint haha

403ep3
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
bump! How's the abs :angel:

flipstah
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
FML I'm at a plateau.

I'm eating right (very disciplined), going to the gym as much as I can but I'm stuck at ~148-150lbs.

Gotta keep crackin' at it, harder!

I'll post pics that was taken last week vs. January

flipstah
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
So this is me in March:

Vs.

Notable gains:

- Slowly increasing deadlift/squat numbers but stuck around 190lbs area +/-10lbs

Verdict so far? Also, any tips on how to make cardio interesting? I hate the treadmill haha!

I do lateral workouts for my floor hockey so I'd like to keep that in the mix.

Dehvee
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
I can confirm that abs is all diet. Been on very little carbs and just lifting heavy/no cardio for the past month.

BananaFob
02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
So this is me in March:

Vs.

Notable gains:

Verdict so far? Also, any tips on how to make cardio interesting? I hate the treadmill haha!

I do lateral workouts for my floor hockey so I'd like to keep that in the mix.

Getting there man! How's the diet? Try squash, great cardio workout without mind-numbing repetitiveness.

flipstah
02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Getting there man! How's the diet? Try squash, great cardio workout without mind-numbing repetitiveness.

Slowly but surely haha. Doesn't help when warcaster heckles me about cardio! I do sports, isn't that enough?! :rofl:

Diet is great. As usual, keeping it, veggie/proteins galore but slowly introducing carbs back in because I've been feeling that don't have enough energy to push further.

Smrt or naw?

brucebanner
02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
If you're getting cardio in on the treadmill(which I also despise), try high intensity. Sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 10 and repeat. Do that 5+ times take a 30 second rest and start another round. 5 rounds with a warm up/cool down and you'll have a very effective cardio session in about a half hour.