PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 911 (997) Question

Skyline_Addict
01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Considering an 07-08 911. Want AWD and will be using it as a daily driver - yes, during the winter too. Want a 6-speed manual since there's no PDK for those years.

With that being said, its between the C4S and Turbo. Is it basically go Turbo, or go home?

Would like to hear from owners of each or possibly both cars.

Thanks

997TT
01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I drive my 07 TT year round. No issues with a set of winter tires.

Skyline_Addict
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
what does your maintenance schedule look like?

boarderfatty
01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
I have a 996 C4s I bought 4ish years ago, that I daily drive. For the money I paid for mine I could have went turbo but I decided not to because: 1) Maintenance if you disregard to whole 'IMS scare tactic" it is a little less expensive 2) It gets better gas milage 3) It keeps me out of trouble (a little slower, and I am less likely to mod than I would a turbo) 4) I love natural aspiration, whether it is my Honda's my BMW's or my Porsche's, except for the 993 turbo, any of my dream P-cars are NA.

All these were big factors in a poor student deciding which P-car best suited my needs.

boarderfatty
01-23-2013, 11:23 PM
As far as maint goes I own a shop so I do all my own work. Oil changes are easy to do your self 9ish liters of porsche spec oil (I use liquimoly) and a $20ish filter. Dealer charges about $300 for an oil change, indy's charge about $200. Maintenance wise, I have done brakes, fronts last 60km and rears 100ish if you arent tracking parts retail for OEM are approx 1200, dealer will charge about 1200 fronts and 800 rears. Depending on how you drive clutches will last 70k to 110k km. I just did my clutch, flywheel pilot bearing, throwout bearing Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing and other misc bits. Without Labor my cost on parts was about 1000ish I think the dealer or indy's charge about 3k. Coolant is life time so supposedly doesn't need to be flushed I did mine anyways at 100k km's was a little shocked since it takes over 14L of Porsche specific coolant which ended up being a little pricey. brakes use standard dot IV fluid and are pretty cheap to flush. I did my spark plugs, coil packs, MAF sensor, and O2 sensors. retail on that stuff is about $1000, didnt need to do anything except plugs really, but I like being thorough, shops would probably charge somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1600 for that service.

Besides the maintenance I have done above I have never really had any mechanical problems. I have a $20 coolant t-fitting break, that was about it.

The only complaints I have about it as a DD are the lack of storage (trunk space is minimal in a awd Pcar) my roof rack helps with snowboard and bikes, but groceries, and hockey gear are a pain. I can fit an adult in the back seat, but both them and the front passenger are going to be very uncomfortable. It takes a long time to get up to operating temp (think about how long it will take to heat up almost 10L of oil and almost 15L of coolant) Just idling it will take 10 min on a cold day to drop to low idle from high, not even get to operating temp. It takes my car approx 20 minutes for my car to get its coolant and oil up to temp on a day when it approaches -20. For some that isn't bad, but I only have a 5km commute to work so it sort of sucks, and getting a remote starter is basically non existant. my last complaint would be brakes if you dont keep your wheels clear of snow, or dont let the water evaporate off the brakes after washing when its cold out your brakes tend to freeze (not a problem with standard brakes, only brembo's) basically the snow melts, freezes the calipers, and the wheels seize and can have a very hard time breaking free.

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
thanks guys.

good to know the maintenance schedule is not astronomical for this car and is actually quite tame for what it is.

what's the deal with remote starters? is there just no aftermarket for them, and/or porsche's are very uncompliant with them?

FullFledgedYYC
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
"Baller"

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/tsg/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/175xUnlimited/photos/0325041inside.jpg

max_boost
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
997 Turbo.

When the weather warms up, let's go for a spirited drive. :D

xrayvsn
01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
997 Turbo.

Your car is slow.

max_boost
01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Your car is slow.

haha

BTW, Terence I don't think you are gonna find any 997 Turbos on the cheap. I think most are going for at least $80K still.

Sorath
01-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Max boost is selling his soon, you should buy it.

max_boost
01-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
Max boost is selling his soon, you should buy it.

Yes! Because according to some, I am on the verge of bankruptcy. :rofl:

Sorath
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM
i thought you were only selling it because you found your underaged girlfriend. :poosie:

max_boost
01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Nah, I'll just keep it. It always makes for a good conversation starter when I have nothing else to say. "So do you know what car I drive"? :devil: :rofl:

benyl
01-24-2013, 09:22 PM

Yes! Because according to some, I am on the verge of bankruptcy. :rofl:

Over did it with the HELOC?

max_boost
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Over did it with the HELOC? haha apparently! lol :rofl:

boarderfatty
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
thanks guys.

good to know the maintenance schedule is not astronomical for this car and is actually quite tame for what it is.

what's the deal with remote starters? is there just no aftermarket for them, and/or porsche's are very uncompliant with them?

It is like some other euro cars like Landrover, I am not sure exactly what it is, I think it has something to do with the fiberoptic cables they started using in some other their electrical stuff circa 2003 but am not quite sure.

I just know frequenting Porsche forums, that pretty well nobody can find someone to do an install, those that do usually pay $1500 plus for the install, and seem to be unreliable and cause electrical problems.

997TT
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
997 Turbo.

Sounds good.

Love how these threads go off topic ... haha

Skyline_Addict
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Lots to think about!

max_boost
01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
There's not much to think. You either buy a Turbo or C4S and then let everyone else talk about how boss you are. :rofl:

rage2
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
As I told Sam before his purchased his, go Turbo or go home.

soloracer
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
As I told Sam before his purchased his, go Turbo or go home.

+911%

m10-power
01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

+911%

Hurry up and sell that 968 Motec so you can get a real car.

And to stay on topic, yes turbo or it's for the wife...