PDA

View Full Version : Almond Milk

jarome
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
So my parents have decided to boycott milk because apparently they heard on the news it has too much chemicals or something like that. I know people have said not to drink too much soy milk because it contains estrogen but what about almond milk? Is it something I should drink everyday?

Redlined_8000
01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Almond milk is awesome and I dont see anything wrong with drinking it every day. Im lactose intolerant so I cant have dairy and no way im gonna touch soy.

InRich
01-25-2013, 01:03 AM
You can make your own at home with a VitaMix :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
01-25-2013, 01:09 AM
I always use Almond milk ! Its good shit :thumbsup:

georgemagana
01-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Almond milk is awesome and I dont see anything wrong with drinking it every day. Im lactose intolerant so I cant have dairy and no way im gonna touch soy.

Lol same here! Love almond milk!

jsn
01-25-2013, 02:16 AM
I drink the plain, no sugar added one every day for shakes.

black13
01-25-2013, 02:39 AM
If you think regular milk is bad, don't even touch Chocolate Milk. From what I've heard they take all the crap or expired milk, reprocess the crap out of it, add a ton of chemicals to make it good and then all the added sugar hides the bad taste of it.
Best to buy the powder and mix it with regular milk.

Not a fan of Almond and if you buy the regular one its got a ton of sugar so I buy organic plain milk. Not sure how much better it is but I need it for cereal although I don't have it everyday.

EK69
01-25-2013, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by black13
If you think regular milk is bad, don't even touch Chocolate Milk. From what I've heard they take all the crap or expired milk, reprocess the crap out of it, add a ton of chemicals to make it good and then all the added sugar hides the bad taste of it.

Not a fan of Almond and if you buy the regular one its got a ton of sugar so I buy organic plain milk. Not sure how much better it is but I need it for cereal although I don't have it everyday.
Looks at the chocolate milk in fridge...
:cry:
Fuuuuuuu hahah

Any links to back up this milk bashing?
I've found stuff that is on both sides...chemicals from pesticides/herbicides in ground, where the grass grows, which cows eat, which filters down to the milk they produce :nut:

I've tried Almond milk...it's texture is too runny for my liking...and tastes weird ...hate skim milk and 1% too for the watery consistency..

Is there anything with 2% or homo like consistency ? (no homo joke :guns: lol)

CompletelyNumb
01-25-2013, 04:13 AM
almond milk is awesome. so is the chocolate almond milk.

I still drink my dairy milk though. Love it.

wintonyk
01-25-2013, 05:19 AM
been on the almond milk train for quite a few years now being lactose intolerant. I used to drink a ton of soy and actually started growing tits, no word of a lie.

This bs with milk is mostly unverified or in such small quantities that its rendered null and void. Especially taken into account canadian food standards are some of the rigourous in the world. I can't recall exactly but I am pretty sure canadian cows are not fed hormones and there is strict limit on which antibiotics and hormones can be used.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2012050/The-cocktail-20-chemicals-glass-milk.html

I don't know about you but 3 millionth of a gram in a kilogram is rather insignificant.

The concern with Almond milk is that it has very limited nutrient value. There is next to no protein or fat and naturally there is almost no minerals. Make sure you buy the fortified almond beverages.

Supa Dexta
01-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Spend the time talking some sense into your parents.. Canadian milk is perfectly fine.

CanmoreOrLess
01-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Last time I looked, I was not a cow so I avoid dairy. Try Hemp, Almond or Soy "milk", search out the organic brands. All good IMO.

Supa Dexta
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
None of those are any more 'natural' then cows milk.. :nut:

project240
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by InRich
You can make your own at home with a BlendTec :thumbsup:

Fixed

:poosie:

Akumaz
01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
i think this adds to the "pussification" of ppl now adays
i can understand if you are lactose, or even hate the taste of milk
no ones ever gotten sick or die because of "chemicals" in milk
drink or dont drink it, its your choice in the end
but to choose to not drink something based on an article
when you have 0 to minimal knowledge of the fact is just for lack of a better word "retarded"

sputnik
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
I make my own with a Hurom Slow Juicer.

That said, I still drink about a liter of 2% milk every day.

sputnik
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by black13

Urban myth. Chocolate milk is held to the same standards as white milk.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.asp

Unknown303
01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Akumaz
i think this adds to the "pussicification" of ppl now adays
i can understand if you are lactose, or even hate the taste of milk
no ones ever gotten sick or die because of "chemicals" in milk
drink or dont drink it, its your choice in the end
but to choose to not drink something based on an article
when you have 0 to minimal knowledge of the fact is just for lack of a better word "retarded"

:werd: How our parents ever made it into their 20s with all these chemicals is beyond me :nut:

CanmoreOrLess
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
None of those are any more 'natural' then cows milk.. :nut:

I dislike the taste and residue of dairy, a personal choice. My dog just had puppies if you want to pop around for a suckle. Milk is milk right? One mammal is as good as another.

bulaian
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
lactose intolerent here and I've been drinking almond milk for years too. I like it and don't see any reason to not drink it. You can also try coconut milk if you want to stay away from dairy and soy:

http://silk.com/products?category=132

Supa Dexta
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Milk is milk right? One mammal is as good as another.

Pretty much, but cows are just the most efficient source of it. :dunno:

Swank
01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
I use the unsweetened chocolate almond milk with choco protein powder for my shakes, it's nice because it doesn't thinken as much as milk does in the blender so I can slam it back faster and don't get bloated. Low cal and stores on the shelf for like 6 months so you can stock up.

black13
01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Urban myth. Chocolate milk is held to the same standards as white milk.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.asp
I still wouldn't trust it. Not that I drink it anyway. I'm pretty sure they process it extra which is just as bad. I've heard this from a person who used to work at the dairy plant.

Would be nice if we could get Raw milk in alberta though. But it would be very hard to regulate that well.

R!zz0
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Almond chocolate milk bad for you? I drink like 4-5 glasses a day.

JRSC00LUDE
01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
I was using it for breakfast shakes (almond) and liked the Dark Chocolate one a lot but after a couple weeks it started giving me severe stomach pain. And no it wasn't spoiled, first assumed that and bought a new one but the same problem happened.

Vanilla doesn't seem to bother me but the dark chocolate just slays my stomach for some reason. :confused:

flipstah
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Almond milk is delicious but I found the plain variety to be best for me. The flavored ones gave weird aftertastes after I drank it. :confused:

Regular cow milk is awesome but alas, I'm Asian and slowly turning lactose intolerant. :cry:

JordanEG6
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
^^ Could be sweetened with stevia leaf? They give some weird after tastes in some products, like whey.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk nowadays. I don't eat/drink dairy products anymore and if I do, I'll have ice cream once in awhile.

flipstah
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
^^ Could be sweetened with stevia leaf? They give some weird after tastes in some products, like whey.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk nowadays. I don't eat/drink dairy products anymore and if I do, I'll have ice cream once in awhile.

Maybe. I had to look that up and it could the main culprit.

Coconut milk is so good but isn't it a bit thick to be using it for everyday consumption?

firebane
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Bumping an older thread but I've started to drink Almond milk and dropping cow milk out of my diet as cow milk makes me feel bleh.

Right now I'm buying mine at Safeway and have tried 2 different brands there.

The first I tried was Natur-A Enriched Almond Beverage which I liked but can't seem to find so far in a 2 litre.

The second I tried was a Almond Fresh vanilla flavored but the sweetness of this is almost too much for me.

Where do you guys buy yours from.. what brand.. and how much? Is it more common to find Almond milk in 1 litre than 2 litre containers?

Hallowed_point
04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I tried a couple cartons of Almond Milk..can't do it. The taste just isn't as satisfying or refreshing!! :rofl:

bulaian
04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Bumping an older thread but I've started to drink Almond milk and dropping cow milk out of my diet as cow milk makes me feel bleh.

Right now I'm buying mine at Safeway and have tried 2 different brands there.

The first I tried was Natur-A Enriched Almond Beverage which I liked but can't seem to find so far in a 2 litre.

The second I tried was a Almond Fresh vanilla flavored but the sweetness of this is almost too much for me.

Where do you guys buy yours from.. what brand.. and how much? Is it more common to find Almond milk in 1 litre than 2 litre containers?

I buy mine from superstore. I believe all of theirs is 2L sizes.

they have Almond fresh plain, unsweetened, vanilla or chocolate. They also have silk True Almond in the same flavours.

flipstah
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I tried a couple cartons of Almond Milk..can't do it. The taste just isn't as satisfying or refreshing!! :rofl:

It's the teat.

firebane
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

I buy mine from superstore. I believe all of theirs is 2L sizes.

they have Almond fresh plain, unsweetened, vanilla or chocolate. They also have silk True Almond in the same flavours.

I will check them out this weekend and see how they fair against Safeway.

Abbott
04-26-2013, 11:55 PM
dairy products is mostly unverified or in such small amounts that its delivered zero and gap, Especially taken into consideration canada food requirements are some of the rigourous on the globe....