PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Intern with Shell, Husky, or IHS before?

tango101
01-25-2013, 07:30 PM
How was the internship like? Good experience? Poor management? Interesting work? Good pay? And what degree you working towards.

There all looking to hire intern software dev's / business analysts, but before I apply (and potentially leave my current job/Internship) I thought I would ask beyond.

nonny03
01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I was an intern with IHS and they're pretty good. Average pay, great stock options, cool people to work with..

shoot me a PM if you wanna discuss it more :)

msommers
01-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Know a couple people who have interned or are working full-time at Shell and they all seem to like it. The interview process is pretty ridiculous, as is Imperial's.

jwslam
01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by nonny03
I was an intern with IHS and they're pretty good. Average pay, great stock options, cool people to work with..
You're around long enough to get options as an intern???

My best friend did a 4 month co-op term at Husky (mech engg). He hated it as the mgmt felt he really couldn't accomplish anything in 4 months so didn't give him decent work.

busdepot
01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I interned at Husky a good while ago in Corp. Planning & Economics when I was in school. It was good pay, so-so work experience. They just didn't have much for me to do so there was a lot of time burnt on the internet back then. Good resume material though. But this was 5 years ago and the company has changed since then.

-=MJ=-
01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I've done Shell and Imperial, have had a friend do Husky.

I liked it at both companies and my friend liked it as Husky.

Both her and I are working for the places we interned, engineers btw. If you have the opportunity don't pass it up

The BMW Guy
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Interested in learning more about IHS as well.
Any one work there currently or have worked there before? Would like to know what it is like to work there (environment, management, workload, etc.).

PM me or reply here please!

Impreza
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Bump - any opinions on IHS? I hear things have changed alot over the last few years

1barA4
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Bump - any opinions on IHS? I hear things have changed alot over the last few years

PM me. I was at IHS for over 5 years (left at the end of 2012), and yeah there were some major changes very recently (I mean in the last 12 months), for the better.

EDIT -- OP if you are looking at a sw development internship, PM me. I worked very closely with their development teams and the two development managers (Alison and Andrew) for the teams I worked with over those 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about all of those guys

bspot
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Get your foot in the door with a E&P. It's way easier to go from E&P to software/service company than vice versa.

Beaze
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
IHS just bought Fekete, room for lots of global expansion.

I'd vote SHELL because they hire out of their student base and have a really good training program.

Xtrema
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Get your foot in the door with a E&P. It's way easier to go from E&P to software/service company than vice versa.

True. But you learn nothing as SW Dev at tier 1 like Shell. All you ever learn is ridiculously awkward bureaucracy to get anything done. Want a dev kit? 10 approval forms, 20 sigs and 3 month later and you may get a version that's 5 years old running on shit ass slow Windows Vista. :rofl:

But at least they pay well and they rarely don't offer interns full time positions. They treat their people very well as long as you can survive their once a decade laid offs. But if you have ADD and a go-getter, it's a very boring place to work.

And if you do end up in Shell, try to stay in E&P and away from other departments. Only E&P has money and the toys. Everyone else is dirt poor.

Beaze
04-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Good points. I should chime in that SHELL's engineering & geo science programs have very good training. I can't speak to SW dev.

Based on Extrema's response I now change my vote. I'd vote IHS because Fekete was acquired due to its engineering software tools for E&P. They recently expanded to Australia and hold a good number of E&P companies in the US (Houston) use Fekete for engineering analysis.

There are constant upgrades to their programs every year, and with emerging technologies and theories for the energy industry I can see why they may require more SW developers. I say this because I use fekete software all the time (and work for an E&P) and they constantly upgrade and release new versions.

Xtrema
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Beaze
Good points. I should chime in that SHELL's engineering & geo science programs have very good training. I can't speak to SW dev.

If you stay close to their core business or profitable lines (Engineering, E&P, Downstream), it's a very good company to work for.

Just stay away from losers (Retail) and cost centers (IT, finance, accounting).

tango101
04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

EDIT -- OP if you are looking at a sw development internship, PM me. I worked very closely with their development teams and the two development managers (Alison and Andrew) for the teams I worked with over those 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about all of those guys

I've already went through going though the interview process with Shell and Husky and ended up accepting a position with one of them. I would have jumped all over this if this if it would have came up earlier. Thanks though!

sabad66
04-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Not much for true SW dev positions at Shell in Calgary. Yes there are a FEW, but most positions in IT will be BAs/System Analysts/App Support/Service Mgmt/Project Managers/Architects. That said, if you make it in as a full timer there are a LOT of SW Development/SW Engineering jobs in Houston or Netherlands for the proprietary sw that you can apply for.

Contrary to xtrema's opinion, I think it's a good company to work for regardless of which department. Great pay/benefits, lots of training allowance, opportunity to travel, inter-company moving around, excellent colleagues. This is coming from someone in one of the "cost centers" for one of the "loser" businesses ;)

Either way I think an internship at a big E&P is worth it. Extremely eye-opening, and you will get a sense of whether it's your thing or not right away. If you hate it after 8 months, at least you know and you can go for a smaller company when you graduate.

pawar.sukant
10-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi
I am having ASET C.E.T. professional practice exam, Is anybody have any specific notes or any multi choice question sets?