PDA

View Full Version : Best Diesel SUV?

Sugarphreak
01-25-2013, 11:25 PM

projekz
01-25-2013, 11:37 PM
I drove the Diesel Touareg and that would be my first pick. I find the Mercedes and the BMW too soft. Otherwise I would say the new WK2 Grand Cherokee if you can wait a bit. Should be out soon.

natty54
01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
forgot about Porsche too :P

corsvette
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
The best diesel suv's are the ones they dont make.....Big power big suv's!
Duramax Sub
http://i48.tinypic.com/ojfq8g.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/zl3m7k.jpg

SKR
01-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Diesel Power magazine was all about the Cayenne a while ago. I think they said it had the most power out of the diesel SUVs.

Edit: Article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1302dp_2013_porsche_cayenne_diesel_first_drive/

Unknown303
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Ford Excursion. Lift it, chip it, put on 37s. Best soccer mom vehicle ever :drool:

Sugarphreak
01-26-2013, 01:56 PM

spike98
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I actually had no idea the Cayenne came with a diesel

I was pricing out a Touarge on VW with a diesel.... 70K :eek:

This is why i went with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The value o f the JGC is far above what the Tourag offers. The fully loaded Jeep Overland i picked up WITH extended warrenty JUST came over $60. I couldn't spend $15 for the VW name.

However i did get the 3.6L with the diesel it should hit $63k mark full stocked.

bart
01-26-2013, 05:57 PM
the best diesel suv is the q7 v12, 500hp, it comes with ceramic brakes standard :)

they are special order only, most powerful passenger diesel in the world i believe

lctN1IGbpf8

NiR2n2h66hA

Sugarphreak
01-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Sugarphreak
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM

heavyfuel
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Just go big and be done with it.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/f6501_zps20e6b335.jpg

vengie
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Hummer h1

Thread over.

Rat Fink
01-27-2013, 06:40 PM

CanmoreOrLess
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I am wondering about the Jeep diesel as it will be a new engine from Fiat I believe, how proven is it? Also, Jeep has leaked the pricing, the diesel is a $4,500 premium in the US.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2014-jeep-grand-cherokees-pricing-leaks-online-including-new-diesel/

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-grand-cherokee-ordering-information-and-pricing-52937.html

As someone in the market for a fully loaded diesel SUV this year, my only choices are from VW (Touareg is getting long in the tooth), Audi, MB, Porsche and now Jeep. Honestly the Jeep is looking like a better deal than the others.

Mazda is supposed to be bringing a diesel as well in their SUV and for certain in the 6 series car. Have we overlooked BMW as well? I think they have a d model.

VW will in 2014 be introducing a seven seater called Volkswagen CrossBlue, a TDI is to be offered.

http://www.auto-types.com/autonews/the-volkswagen-crossblue-an-suv-with-7-seats-for-the-us-market-9720.html

*removed incorrect Q5 engine information.

schocker
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
As someone in the market for a fully loaded diesel SUV this year, my only choices are from VW (Touareg is getting long in the tooth), Audi, MB, Porsche and now Jeep. Honestly the Jeep is looking like a better deal than the others.

Mazda is supposed to be bringing a diesel as well in their SUV, have we overlooked BMW as well? I think they have a d model.

The Q5 is, I believe, going with the 2.0 motor for NA.
The 2nd gen touareg is only like 2 years old :confused:
The Q5 will be the 3.0 TDI though not the 2.0

CanmoreOrLess
01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
^^^^^The somewhat dated design of the Touareg is what I was getting at, it was more of a refresh really. ^^^^ Look at the Cross Blue for the next design direction:

http://www.auto-types.com/autonews/the-volkswagen-crossblue-an-suv-with-7-seats-for-the-us-market-9720.html

And right you are about the Q5 (read it in Motor Trend magazine just now).

schocker
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
^^^^^The dated design of the Touareg is what I was getting at. ^^^^ Look at the Cross Blue for the next design direction:

And right you are about the Q5 (read it in Motor Trend magazine).
Gotcha, I really like the 2nd gen touareg styling, but I agree, that cross blue looks pretty awesome. Will be interesting to see a second gen Q7 though, it has had its refreshes but those can only do so much.

Buster
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Generally diesels dont' make economic sense. The premium they cost see way too long of a payoff to make it worthwhile.

If you prefer diesel for other reasons, then sure.

With the exception of the MB GL350. It's actually the base model of the GL series, and as such makes sense.

I was looking at used version of the previous generation...but they barely depreciate. This also makes it the rare car where a new one makes sense.

r3ccOs
01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
this is "big truck" country... and you need to own the road, especially if you are driving your ass up and down from the North every 25 days

pre-requisites?
low profile 40" MUD tires on chrome rims
12 in combo suspension/body lift
fender flares... cause they're like shoulder pads, but for trucks
Diesel bully dogged to Roll Coal all the way up to the "site"

oh... a adapter for your class 1 hitch to tow-along your RV to camp... cause your frame is now too high, but don't worry that aluminium block on that hitch Looooves to work at that angle... and to tow your pair of quads/boats/sleds that you will use those 3 of those 4 days off you get every 25 days at site

some decal's of course, MMA or hunting related
truck nuts

in all seriousness? the case for Diesel just doesn't seem to work out here, unless you really do require the torque.
maybe its just the North American market as well... perhaps driven from the industry, as I think we have an abundance of quality refined products, where as I'd probably imagine that you can find varying grades of Diesel, which is easier to refine/upgrade, in regions in Africa, middle east etc... and they being compression based cope with heat better.

in Canada?
I know my neighbor can't start his full ton on days colder than -15 without going out in the middle of night to plug it in...and then leaves it running throughout the day and it does use a fair bit of diesel idling (regardless of what everyone says, huge fuel/air ratio or not, you're just not doing anything)

when I say require the torque, I mean actually towing, not rolling coal and jumping the curb at Chinook mall

if I were to choose one, it would've been the last toureg iteration with the V10 diesel
otherwise, I'd be up for a late gen Landcruiser diesel, Nissan Patrol Diesel

lastly a older 5.9 inline 6 cummings diesel.. as those truely are bullet proof

Aleks
01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Buster
Generally diesels dont' make economic sense. The premium they cost see way too long of a payoff to make it worthwhile.

If you prefer diesel for other reasons, then sure.

With the exception of the MB GL350. It's actually the base model of the GL series, and as such makes sense.

I was looking at used version of the previous generation...but they barely depreciate. This also makes it the rare car where a new one makes sense.

E350 diesel is also cheaper than E350 gas and new GLK diesel is slightly cheaper than the gas version.

Alak
01-29-2013, 01:18 AM
I looked into one of those V10 Diesel Audi/VW's and the fuel economy was not very good at all. Problem is it seems like you have to buy a super high end SUV to save money on fuel. Its almost not worth it, and that seems to be the angle on the market. My next purchase was to be a diesel SUV for the wife, just not much out there within reason it seems.

EK69
01-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Why diesel? It's pretty much the same at the pumps I think...?
(yes, I'm noob and have my flame suit on lol)

Aleks
01-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by EK69
Why diesel? It's pretty much the same at the pumps I think...?
(yes, I'm noob and have my flame suit on lol)

In Alberta diesel is typically more expensive than regular in winter and less expensive in summer.

Sugarphreak
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Alak
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
By Comparison, in our work trucks, the Gas gets about 9 MPG on the highway. Our Diesel gets about 16 - 17MPG. Same truck, different engine. And it has 3 million times the horsepower.

Sugarphreak
01-29-2013, 08:58 PM

corsvette
01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
If you do go with a new diesel do yourself a huge favor and buy as much extra warranty as possible. New Diesels have crazy complicated emmisions systems, injectors, pumps, etc etc....all this stuff will cost HUGE $$$ if it breaks.

Maxt
01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm looking for one of these in decent shape to do a cummins swap into.

http://www.specialtycarlocators.com/Images/rentals/dodge-ramcharger.jpg

Rat Fink
01-30-2013, 06:40 PM

SKR
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I voided my warranty at 14,000km.

Unknown303
01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Alak
And it has 3 million times the horsepower.

At least! :eek: :poosie: ;) :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I voided my warranty at 14,000km.

Im curious if GM actually has a VIN block on your truck or not?

schocker
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Alak
I looked into one of those V10 Diesel Audi/VW's and the fuel economy was not very good at all. Problem is it seems like you have to buy a super high end SUV to save money on fuel. Its almost not worth it, and that seems to be the angle on the market. My next purchase was to be a diesel SUV for the wife, just not much out there within reason it seems.
It was never supposed to be great, you just got tons of torque.
V10 VW 309hp/553tq
V12 Audi 490hp/740tq

SKR
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Im curious if GM actually has a VIN block on your truck or not?

I don't think I've been red flagged or anything. I talked to my dealer before I did it and they said they would do what they could to save my warranty, but if GM asked to see any data from the ECM or TCM and anything was out of spec, I would be on my own. I think they would be able to tell I'm running a tuner because I haven't had any DPF regens in almost 2 years. It would be a pretty easy case for GM to make, especially when they already lean that way. I don't think they have much tolerance for tuners anymore.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by SKR

I don't think I've been red flagged or anything. I talked to my dealer before I did it and they said they would do what they could to save my warranty, but if GM asked to see any data from the ECM or TCM and anything was out of spec, I would be on my own. I think they would be able to tell I'm running a tuner because I haven't had any DPF regens in almost 2 years. It would be a pretty easy case for GM to make, especially when they already lean that way. I don't think they have much tolerance for tuners anymore.

You are probably fine, ive only seen on car with a Warranty Block due to mods in the last year and it was a seriously modified CTS-V (headers back exhaust, upgraded pulley, bigger intercooler, intake, bigger injectors, tuning, lowered, bigger brakes, HRE wheels) and he blew the clutch, pleaded with me to run it through warranty and I told him if you can afford what looked like $20000+ in mods you can afford a clutch...

SKR
01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
I might be overreacting but I'm assuming the worst case scenario. I did get my power steering pump replaced at 29,000km under warranty, even with my lift and 35" tires. I thought that might be a bit more of a struggle.

I'm planning on doing a fairly involved build, assuming I can afford it all, over the next couple three years anyway. Change out the transmission, injectors, studs, and twin or triple turbos. If I get tired of that, then comes a bigger injection pump or twin pumps, full motor build including rods, pistons, crank and cam, and ported heads. There won't be much left for GM to warranty.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I might be overreacting but I'm assuming the worst case scenario. I did get my power steering pump replaced at 29,000km under warranty, even with my lift and 35" tires. I thought that might be a bit more of a struggle.

I'm planning on doing a fairly involved build, assuming I can afford it all, over the next couple three years anyway. Change out the transmission, injectors, studs, and twin or triple turbos. If I get tired of that, then comes a bigger injection pump or twin pumps, full motor build including rods, pistons, crank and cam, and ported heads. There won't be much left for GM to warranty.

I had the chance to take a boot in a 2008 Triple Turbo Duramax with a built transmission last summer and it was NUTS! Put my tuned 135i to shame on a onramp! It was put together by a shop in Red Deer though and they had a lot of fuck ups we had to "re-engineer"

SKR
01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah I'm sure I'd fill my pants with tadpoles if I ever get this started and finished.

Sugarphreak
02-06-2013, 10:04 PM

thepurpleandgold
02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Anybody know which MB dealer would be willing cut deals :dunno:
This.

I'd like to find out for myself - between Lone Star and Hyatt, I hear it's slum pickings but does anyone have first-hand experience they can advise me with?

We're looking to start negotiating on a new GL350 bluetec this coming weekend.

Sugarphreak
02-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Aleks
02-07-2013, 09:11 AM
It might be very difficult to get any deals initialy on the diesel GLKs until the inital hype dies down a bit. I'm guessing they are going to sell really well judging by the fact that ML and GL diesel take rate is something like 70% in Canada over gas versions.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
If they are selling well, they won't be doing much for deals.

Sugarphreak
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Sugarphreak
02-09-2013, 02:03 PM

corsvette
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
I went and had a chat with one of the MB sales people, no deals to be had. It is in high demand and you have to order them in, if I ordered today it would arrive in June. Final price for all options I wanted was just over 51K out the door, which honestly considering how many features you get for that price is pretty reasonable for a diesel SUV.

Not too bad at all....Factor in the strong resale value and its downright decent for a diesel suv.

Sugarphreak
02-09-2013, 02:36 PM

CanmoreOrLess
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM

The direct competitor would be the Q5, and it is rumored to be starting at 65K for the diesel later this year. That is the same as a Porsche Cayenne diesel... then add options, tax, shipping and fees and it is a good 25K to 30K more than the GLK.

I wasn't going to buy a new car, but I am really leaning toward placing an order in March.

I just checked audi.ca, the 2013 Q7 diesel starts at 63K. How can Audi Canada they possibly retail the 2014 Q5 at 65K? Hell even the 2013 Q5 hybrid starts at 56.6K to compare. Even the 2013 Touareg starts at 54K.

What kind of Oz world do we live in?

Sugarphreak
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Sugarphreak
02-26-2013, 10:28 PM

CanmoreOrLess
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I was reading of the 2014 Jeep GC, it too needs something like $80 US worth of Adblue or whatever it is called at each oil change. Bit by bit my diesel dreams are becoming a non event. At this stage, I'll just buy a Prius and close the coffin.

Somewhere in here it is mentioned, if I recall rightly:

ltH7vhFbZwA

corsvette
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Anybody have experience with this whole DEF (Diesel Exhuast Fluid) or Adblue as Mercedes calls it.

From what I am reading the GLK250 needs something retarded like 30L of it every oil change at a cost of 9$ per litre!?

Probably just a fancy name for Urea fluid. All the new Diesels have it save for the new Mazda Skyactiv. Urea injection has proven to be reliable and far superior to heavy EGR systems.

The Urea I see for sale costs ~15 for 2.5 gallon jug.

bart
02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
you know you can just pour some distilled water in instead of adblue lol

Sugarphreak
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM

GQBalla
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Ive been looking at Diesel SUVs also but what about starting it in the winter without plugging it in?

Unknown303
02-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Ive been looking at Diesel SUVs also but what about starting it in the winter without plugging it in?

My Duramax would start in the winter in minus 30 weather without being plugged in. It wasn't pretty but it would start. The smaller diesel engines shouldn't be an issue under normal winter conditions.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Low quality DEF fluid can cause huge problems in modern diesels.

I had a 2011 Duramax come in just after Christmas, the guy had used some really shitty DEF fluid and basically ended up not being able to regen, and over the trip up from Colorado the DPF plugged, the cat melted down and we surprised it could go over 10km/h by the time he got here.

Ended up costing him close to $4000 to fix right considering the car was warrantied and saved him $1200.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
By crappy DEF fluid… you mean he was adding water, or certain brands can cause this. Are you finding the DEF system to be pretty sketchy in general? Also, WTF is a “regen”?

I think he was buying some super cheap hicktown USA DEF fluid because it was the cheapest he could find and who knows what was in it.

A regen is basically the truck cleaning the DPF by either raising the exhaust temps to burn stuff off or producing a lot of NOx to oxidize the ash/soot.

Darell_n
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Are their any diesels in Alberta that aren't using a DPF delete?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Are their any diesels in Alberta that aren't using a DPF delete?

I rarely see customer vehicles come in with DPF deletes, but I really only see Duramaxes and the occasional old 6.5.

Cant wait to see the diesel Cruzes start coming in next year!

Dr_Funk
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Just picked up 2013 ML350 Bluetec from Lonestar last nite....Engine is silky smooth and interior is super quiet. Pretty happy with it so far. Getting around 9.5L/100km combined highway and city driving, which is a good 20% better than my GLK (~12L/100km).

Its the only Mercedes that comes with a block heater, and the guy says if its below -20 I should plug it in just to be safe, but he said the ML Bluetec on the lots started in -30 without having to plug in..

Pretty much no room to negotiate as there is a shortage of ML's and especially the Bluetec ML's right now. As a returning customer, they gave me discount on the finance rate as well as $1000 off and letting me return my GLK lease early without having to pay the last 4 lease payments. Oh yea, they throw in the weathertec mats which are pretty nice too. I also had to wait about a month for mine. Some more will come mid march and some in April, although many of those would have been accounted for before they even get to the dealership.

The ML DEF receptacle is right next to the diesel so can be easily refilled without having to open up a bunch of things like the last gen ML, or paying $$$$ to the dealers to get it done.

flipstah
02-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Funk
Just picked up 2013 ML350 Bluetec from Lonestar last nite....Engine is silky smooth and interior is super quiet. Pretty happy with it so far. Getting around 9.5L/100km combined highway and city driving, which is a good 20% better than my GLK (~12L/100km).

Its the only Mercedes that comes with a block heater, and the guy says if its below -20 I should plug it in just to be safe, but he said the ML Bluetec on the lots started in -30 without having to plug in..

Pretty much no room to negotiate as there is a shortage of ML's and especially the Bluetec ML's right now. As a returning customer, they gave me discount on the finance rate as well as $1000 off and letting me return my GLK lease early without having to pay the last 4 lease payments. Oh yea, they throw in the weathertec mats which are pretty nice too. I also had to wait about a month for mine. Some more will come mid march and some in April, although many of those would have been accounted for before they even get to the dealership.

The ML DEF receptacle is right next to the diesel so can be easily refilled without having to open up a bunch of things like the last gen ML, or paying $$$$ to the dealers to get it done.

9.5L/100km's? That's an awfully gas-guzzling statistic for a diesel... Doesn't sound right to me. :confused:

bart
03-01-2013, 04:51 AM
diesels 6 cylinders and up are required i think to have adblue, no 4 cylinders need it

in my 1.6 tdi touran i get 10.5L/100km but thats having the gas floored for hours at a time hahah

if you are getting a chip you can probably get them to defeat the lower power mode your car goes into when you run out of adblue, so then you dont worry about adding anything else or buying cheap stuff to make clogs

but i really wonder if they have a sensor or not to tell what you are using, as opposed just to the level sensor in the tank...

Stewjoe
03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Someone at my work has a diesel X5. She has never plugged it in, there isn't even a heater and the dealer said its not necessary.

Dr_Funk
03-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

9.5L/100km's? That's an awfully gas-guzzling statistic for a diesel... Doesn't sound right to me. :confused:

May if its a car...pretty good for a mid size SUV..

Rat Fink
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Sugarphreak
03-20-2013, 10:44 PM

CanmoreOrLess
03-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Nice reality check on the diesel vs. gas debate, adding the new Q5 hybrid to the mix would have made the rational choice even more obvious. The National Post did a like analysis of the economics of buying a 2013 VW Jetta in all three versions:

Hybrid vs. diesel vs. gas: Which one saves you more money?

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/02/21/hybrid-vs-diesel-vs-gas-which-one-saves-you-more-money/

msommers
03-21-2013, 07:16 AM
What are the maintenance costs between the glk and Q5?

benyl
03-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Service A is about $300 and Service B is $600 plus Adblue for the GLK.

The services alternate every year or 20,000 kms.

I don't know about Audi.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM

benyl
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I think I would still go diesel.

The 2.0T felt weak in the Q5 I test drove. I think I would be hammering it all the time.

I am interested in driving the GLK when it comes out.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM