PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes as an 'android'?

swak
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Been looking around at phones...
So many non bb or iPhone... What constitutes as an 'android'? (for app considerations)

Would a Windows8 phone qualify?
Or is this more-so google based OS's - as i'm inclined to lean towards as per google searches on the topic.

Such a noob'ish question probably - but always wondered.

DeeK
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Android is an OS. As is, windows 8, iOS and other similar OS's on phones...

windows 8 is not android, they are two completely different OS.

shakalaka
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
The operating system those google and other phones use is called Android.

EDIT::werd: :repost:

cam_wmh
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Android is another mobile OS, similar to Windows 8, IOS & BB10.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the most popular model right now.

swak
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Ahhh, check. Thanks!

I was previously under the impression android = anything but bb and iphone haha.
Not so techy savvy on this topic haha.

Thanks.

TYMSMNY
01-27-2013, 12:15 AM
4 main O/S for mobile phones.

Windows 8
Apple
Android
Blackberry

msommers
01-27-2013, 12:49 AM
If you're looking to get into an android right away, grab an S3. Othwerwise I'd try to get an order in for a Nexus 4 and wait a month or two.

DeeK
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by msommers
If you're looking to get into an android right away, grab an S3. Othwerwise I'd try to get an order in for a Nexus 4 and wait a month or two.

I recently got into the smart phone game myself, I did way too much research and finally broke my personal preference choices down to the Galaxy S3(android 4.0) and the Galaxy Nexus 3(Android 4.1). I ended up buying the Nexus 3. At a third of the price (due to the nexus 3 being discontinued on the release of the nexus 4) the nexus 3 was a no brainer. The S3 was overly clunky, bloated and essentially seemed like a marketing hype more than anything. the Nexus 3 was refined.

Just my thoughts.

Unknown303
01-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

I recently got into the smart phone game myself, I did way too much research and finally broke my personal preference choices down to the Galaxy S3(android 4.0) and the Galaxy Nexus 3(Android 4.1). I ended up buying the Nexus 3. At a third of the price (due to the nexus 3 being discontinued on the release of the nexus 4) the nexus 3 was a no brainer. The S3 was overly clunky, bloated and essentially seemed like a marketing hype more than anything. the Nexus 3 was refined.

Just my thoughts.

The Nexus 4 wins hands down. For the price it's way worth the wait to get one on your hands. I am enjoying mine way to much.

TYMSMNY
01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

The Nexus 4 wins hands down. For the price it's way worth the wait to get one on your hands. I am enjoying mine way to much.

plus it's a clean install with no bloatware. Although a root and software can change that. Still haven't changed the original firmware on mine and still lovin' it. Nexus 4 if you can get in.

DeeK
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I haven't tried a nexus 4 yet. but at the time I bought mine the nexus 4 had just been announced, so the nexus 3 was $270. Compared to the $890 (at the time) for the galaxy S3.

wintonyk
01-29-2013, 07:03 AM

I haven't tried a nexus 4 yet. but at the time I bought mine the nexus 4 had just been announced, so the nexus 3 was $270. Compared to the $890 (at the time) for the galaxy S3.

890 for an s3? i got mine for 600 (which is still double the nexus)

spike98
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

890 for an s3? i got mine for 600 (which is still double the nexus)

You can find a better deal on the s3. Amazon just recently had an unlocked version for $500 and people on redflagdeals are getting them for around $350 open box.

clem24
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
How do you get a Nexus 4? Google has been OOS ever since it was released. In the US I hear they started offering them at Best Buy but requires a contract (and subsequently will be locked I presume).

spike98
01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by clem24
How do you get a Nexus 4? Google has been OOS ever since it was released. In the US I hear they started offering them at Best Buy but requires a contract (and subsequently will be locked I presume).

Check the play store today. Rumors say that they will go on sale. The status has been changed to "Temporarily out of stock". Some sites are saying 9am est and its apparently already for sale in germany.

Xtrema
01-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Just my thoughts.

The only down side of Galaxy Nexus is that Google, much like Apple, disown devices that are more than 2 years old or deems no worthy of new version of Android. GN is already 1 year old.

Nexus S was released with 2.3 and ended at 4.1. That's about 2 upgrades in 2 years. There will be no official 4.2 release from Google.

spike98
01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The only down side of Galaxy Nexus is that Google, much like Apple, disown devices that are more than 2 years old or deems no worthy of new version of Android. GN is already 1 year old.

Nexus S was released with 2.3 and ended at 4.1. That's about 2 upgrades in 2 years. There will be no official 4.2 release from Google.

meh, if you are buying a developers phone (nexus series) then you can install a ROM with the latest software version.

Even the nexus one has a 4.2.1 rom out.

Additionally, sure apple supports older hardware for a bit longer but ones its done, its done for good. There is no way to create a custom ipsw to install a new OS on older unsupported hardware unlike custom roms with android.

clem24
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Check the play store today. Rumors say that they will go on sale. The status has been changed to "Temporarily out of stock". Some sites are saying 9am est and its apparently already for sale in germany.

Yup just got a 16GB one! They went on sale about 10 minutes ago.